Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Which is why I wish the show had just left her straight. Not because being bi or gay is wrong at all. (It's not.) But because GH - and most other soaps - won't actually commit to it and do anything with it, and it will just hamstring the character going forward.

They didn't commit to her before, though. Unless you're a "bargain basement criminal", you don't really get much of a story on this show.

While I had no use for him, Ethan and LA's Kristina seemed to have a fanbase. I know Nathan Parsons is doing prime time gigs, but maybe GH could have attempted to get him back for an arc. Or risk it and recast him.

I don't think NP wanted it, given what his comments at the time about not wanting to rescue "damsels in distress" (which would really only apply to Kristina) and addressing that he talked to Garin Wolf about the direction he wanted his character's story to take, and his departure comments about the Lady in White (apparently, it was his favorite; I don't know why he thought that was good, or why he lamented the loss of Helena's daughter).

I think a new character would work best, but I'm not sure they would commit to that - whether or not it was a man or a woman (unless the person is a mobster).

Edited by Lobsel Vith

Liz's mother - as a super-controlling neurosurgeon or something - is an obvious coup role for any number of soap vets (my personal preference was Melody Thomas Scott a number of years ago when she and Y&R were playing chicken over her contract). And like aging up Cameron it would immediately generate more organic story for the character. But unless they can get Richard Dean Anderson back to look pissed for a few days as Jeff Webber, neither FV nor the departed RC are/were interested IMO. (They tried to get RDA back in 2013 for the anniversary, he said no.)

So did Brad or Lucas explain their insane subplot yet?

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

LOL that Jake needs "special, individualized care." Don't all hospital patients? I know what they're trying to say, but as usual, it was terribly phrased. Monica should have just said that GH doesn't have the right personnel or facilities.

Shriners Hospital for Children (as the show always calls it) is nonprofit, right? So I don't think it's paying for placement here; I think GH has decided to give it placement like it did Heart Health Month a few years ago. Since Prego (or Ragú, or whatever) was a sponsor for the month, that's why Diane had to make that terrible plug.

Then we had Carly repeat what Monica said, and Monica repeat herself. WE GET IT. It's a wonderful place. It deserves our support.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't have Morgan working shirtless. I guess it is winter. Heh.

• Love 2

So, Kristina takes it upon herself to invite Sonny to Alexis and Julian's wedding and then HE turns around and invites Carly?? I get it--everyone has to be there when the Big Bad happens, but that's just tacky.

And why does Jason have to "appreciate" Sam understanding he should be there for his son? Why is that even a consideration? I mean, I get we're supposed to just get their "connection" but it already makes it seem like Jake is second to her and Danny on Jason's part.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 3
They didn't commit to her before, though. Unless you're a "bargain basement criminal", you don't really get much of a story on this show.

No argument here, but the way most GH regimes go, Kristina would still have better potential romantically with a guy because aside from the "pat us on the back! We include couples of all persuasions!" attitude most writers have in terms of representing gay or bi romance (meaning slapping them together even faster than the shallow straight couples and then zero story or exposure), it's clear being progressive is of no interest to the writers or perhaps the network and Kristina would soon have to watch Sam and Molly get all the action while she counsels them. See Brad and Lucas with her.

If I thought for a second this show would break the mold and really explore Kristina as gay or bi, I'd be all for it. But I already know it won't, so I don't see why JP/SA are potentially cutting Kristina off. I know that sounds wrong. Because it is wrong. But also sadly accurate as far as the writing goes currently.

• Love 4

I'm sure they're going for bi as the 'sexy' option for Kristina. I have no issue with it. I also think in the show's eyes it will end up meaning completely ignoring her orientation until they feel like having her flirt with a few chicks in a scene here and there, and that'll be it. I don't think she will be marginalized but I think the full dimension of her sexuality will be.

• Love 5
Shriners Hospital for Children (as the show always calls it) is nonprofit, right? So I don't think it's paying for placement here; I think GH has decided to give it placement like it did Heart Health Month a few years ago. Since Prego (or Ragú, or whatever) was a sponsor for the month, that's why Diane had to make that terrible plug.

It's probably just a charitable partnership the show has agreed to with them.  

• Love 1

"Whatever flies your kite, baby brother."

That line actually sounded more flirty than however it was supposed to come off. Which, eww. I only support one inappropriate chemistry storyline on this show, and it's not them.

I'm surprised that Kiki even remembered that her mom had cancer. I kind of wanted to see what the dress looked like.

I loved that Anna not so subtly kept pushing Dillon's hands away from her like she couldn't be bothered to sit for this shoot.

Darby is so pointless she's Why is Darby? and Why is Deanna? combined.

Ha, Carly dared to call someone else a hypocrite. Look in the mirror, sweetie. And as always, STFU Sonny.

• Love 4

I just watched the Lucas/Brad scenes from Friday, and no, no mention was made of Rosalie or Brad being married to her or the illegal thing he did that means he has to stay married to her.  There was some pointed talk about Brad's homophobic adopted parents, though. 

The Lucas/Brad/Kristina scenes were pretty nice.  When rumors were swirling that Shane on OLTL might come out, this was always the kind of talk I imagined him having with Uncle Fish and Uncle Kyle.  But...it kinda loses something that this was Lucas' first interaction with his future step-sister, the comfortable level between them in this interaction doesn't feel organic. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I'm amused, mybabyaidan, because the full-name repeated -what, 6x? in one episode came off glaringly clunky.  I could sorta buy all that infomercial dialogue if it came out of just the medical professionals Monica and Liz. LW sounded like she was reading off of cards, and BM looked like Jason was anything but concerned about/invested in Jake's recovery. And then his tone/attitude when Jason said goodbye to Sam made it seem like Jake's an obligation. Not okay.

• Love 2

Dullion was not quite as dull as usual when working with Fin.

Anna just needs to bang the dullness or whininess out of all the young men on the show.

Except maybe Michael. :/ He's gotten hotter, but that might be too much.

• Love 5
Good on Dr. Griff for telling Sonny to go fuck himself today.

But at the end of the episode - the mob (Sonny) trumps the hospital (Dr. Munroe) yet again.  [to say nothing about Carly being in the vicinity of Dr. Monica Quartermaine]

• Love 1

It's okay Jason, I'm as sick to death of NotDeadJake's ongoing, non acting storyline as you are. How much more of a special snowflake are they gonna make this kid? Oh how I wish Helena's will reading includes a codicil that NotDeadJake is a clone or something and not a real boy. Let him go back to the Island of Misfit Toys already. I'm sure Clark and Andy wouldn't miss him. Or at least not for very long.

• Love 7

My DVR guide synopsis for this episode said, "Anna is drawn into Dillon's world." So many jokes. "Dillon's world...where the earth really is flat!"  "Dillon's world...put the key in the front door and you break the back window!"  "So, Finola Hughes is going to be the sexy girl in the next cover video?"

I hope Jake is all better after his stay at Shriners Hospital for Children® in Philadelphia. Of course, I have great faith that that will be the case. Shriners Hospitals for Children® have been doing outstanding work since 1922. In fact, the first Shriners Hospital for Children®, in Shreveport, Louisiana, specialized in pediatric orthopedic care. I hope there will not be any awkwardness between Liz and Jason during their trip with Jake to Shriners Hospital for Children®. I did feel they made too big of a deal over Sam's beneficence. I hardly expected her to say, "No, it will upset me if you go with your other son to Shriners Hospital for Children®."  

• Love 7

My DVR guide synopsis for this episode said, "Anna is drawn into Dillon's world." So many jokes. "Dillon's world...where the earth really is flat!" "Dillon's world...put the key in the front door and you break the back window!" "So, Finola Hughes is going to be the sexy girl in the next cover video?"

I hope Jake is all better after his stay at Shriners Hospital for Children® in Philadelphia. Of course, I have great faith that that will be the case. Shriners Hospitals for Children® have been doing outstanding work since 1922. In fact, the first Shriners Hospital for Children®, in Shreveport, Louisiana, specialized in pediatric orthopedic care. I hope there will not be any awkwardness between Liz and Jason during their trip with Jake to Shriners Hospital for Children®. I did feel they made too big of a deal over Sam's beneficence. I hardly expected her to say, "No, it will upset me if you go with your other son to Shriners Hospital for Children®."

And yet, it's still less awkward than the dialogue that pretends Sonny is a good man.

• Love 7

TPTB have ruined Liz to a point that I imagined, as she was talking about the benefits of Shriners, there are fans who screamed back "LIAR! If you think it's wonderful, then they must be terrible!"

Oh, as far as product placement, I love the breakfast/lunch scenes with the orange juice, thanks to the Florida Orange Growers.

Shut up, Sonny. So someone won't follow along with your bullshit lying. You'll get over it. And I hope, when you 'surprise' everyone of your enemies that you can walk, there's Tonya Harding whacking your knees immediately.

• Love 7

When Carly mentioned that she donated to Shriner's after Spencer's stay there, I couldn't help wondering how her bond to Spencer exists.  Is it because he's Sonny's nephew?  Or a lingering bond from that time the beast kidnapped him as a baby by lying about his paternity? 

• Love 4

Chiming in on the Liz issue-I neither hate nor love the character, but even I think it's ridiculous certain families get cousins, sisters, mother father aunt uncle, etc(Sam) and Liz, who has been a character longer and is actually a member of a legacy family(no, the Jeromes and Cassadines are not legacy families, sorry) has NO ONE. Except off stage Gram. And offscreen siblings. It's ridiculous, period. They could bring back Kristina (UGH) and not Sarah?

It's obvious bias, there's no other explanation. Much like they can bring on multiple meaningless recurring characters, but can't/won't bring back Wally Kurth, who is also a legacy character from a REAL legacy family.

This show, and their stupid decisions.

• Love 8

Loved Sam and Jason, they have spark.

The rest was pretty off.....

I think new doctor is very wooden. I thought he was reading from cue cards almost as much as Carly.....are we sure he isn't a borg?...well maybe not b/c all that hair gel would ruin his wiring.

The timing in Morgan and Kristina's scene was terrible. I didn't think it was just Morgan, Kristina was clunky too.

I kind of liked Franco and Kiki's talk for the fact that it was so awkward and TMI. Franco did a good job being awkward.

I just can't with Dillion, he is almost as useless as DNAJ and he's supposed to be an adult. I know Anna has many fans but those scenes were ridiculous. She was wearing dreary black and using a grimy police interrogation room as a backdrop? Just NO!

While I thought Tracy did a good job with the confusion piece that whole scene with Paul was so clunky and in the end he just looked confused and walked out. I was confused as to the purpose. I think the idea of a memory issue story is good it is obvious these writers don't have a clear story fleshed out so it will be a disaster. Poor JE.

I didn't mind the Shriner's Hospital stuff so much since they are a charity. I'm glad the network cares about charities and not just money provided by product placement. I'm sure like last year they will also use actual patients in a coming episode and I'm sure that is thrill for them.

• Love 3

I'm still at a loss as to why they even had Lucas bring it back up again in his once monthly appearance awhile back if they weren't going to do anything with it. The pacing now is worse than RC's tbh.

Chiming in on the Liz issue-I neither hate nor love the character, but even I think it's ridiculous certain families get cousins, sisters, mother father aunt uncle, etc(Sam) and Liz, who has been a character longer and is actually a member of a legacy family(no, the Jeromes and Cassadines are not legacy families, sorry) has NO ONE ... It's obvious bias, there's no other explanation.

I agree that it's ridiculous, but I don't think it's about Liz vs. Sam for the writers. Virtually every other character, not just Sam, has more family than Liz. I don't even think it's a, "We hate Liz," thing, I think it's a, "We're lazy and Liz isn't that important to us," thing. Which still sucks,.

• Love 3

All they have to do is officially get rid of Brad and then they don't have to bother with coming up with a resolution to the sham marriage story. 

As peachmangosteen said, most of the characters have more family on screen than Liez so I'm not sure why this is being used to support the argument that the writers love Propped Saint Sam and hate Liez. The last time Sarah was in town was before Sam even existed as a character. 

• Love 5

I don't think anyone is saying it's KeMo's fault that there's such a difference. That clearly lies at the feet of the EP and writers who have decided, over the years, to keep building up family for the kidnapping accomplice.  But, I think it's only natural to compare the two main female characters in that age range, who seem to be permanently tied together in some way.  Add in that both had a parent we had never met, and it's pretty easy to make the comparisons.  Basically, the kidnapping accomplice is part of the mob bunch. As such, much like Sonny, she will have characters who exist because they're part of her family unit.  I highly doubt NLG would have gotten a love interest with the amount of time devoted to the pairing that she's gotten with Julian if she hadn't been made her mom.  She got WdV because the kidnapping accomplice needed her father to be created.  (And NLG and WdV had enough chemistry at that point that the writers gave in and went with it.)  

Since Liz is part of the hospital group, she isn't "important enough" to round out her family.  Her importance is solely as a prop to whatever story the show needs some antagonist or victim for.  When people look at the two characters - same age range, some of the same shared love interests, similar fan bases, etc... - and they look at the story possibilities that are embraced for one and ignored for the other, they're going to make the comparison.  The fault for those differences lies with the show runners, absolutely, but the comparison is pretty natural.  It would be like comparing Maxie and Lulu - same age range, tied together over the years.  

• Love 9
They could bring back Kristina (UGH) and not Sarah?

I am a Liz fan, and I think I'd be more into the idea of Liz's siblings being back on the canvas if the casting hadn't failed for them four out of four times in the Liz era. Both of the Sarahs were awful actresses (I mean...every single under-40 woman presently on GH is better than those two, except for the Darby actress), and the second Sarah had terrible writing as well. The Stevens were better, in that I could see them working in some role, but they were all wrong for that one. So in all four cases, my reaction to the characters leaving town ranged from "not sorry" to "thank God."  

I can't believe how annoyed and checked out BM looked in those Shriners Hospital scenes. I can't stand unprofessional actors. His ass needs to go.

I don't think he's being unprofessional. I think he's being told to act this way. Now that Jason and Sam are back together, Jason doesn't give a shit about Jake. He's nothing but an obligation to him, and now that Jake is taking him away from Sam, he's nothing but an annoyance to him. I mean, this show acting like Sam is so amazing for not being upset that Jason is going with Jake, just shows how clueless they are when it comes to this couple, and the insane propping they get.

I really wish they would have Liz call him out on this shit, but they never will. Jason will once again get praised for being an awesome father, while Liz is really the one who's taking care of Jake, and being there for him.

• Love 6

I am a Liz fan, and I think I'd be more into the idea of Liz's siblings being back on the canvas if the casting hadn't failed for them four out of four times in the Liz era.

Yeah.  It'd be nice for the show to invest in Sarah and Steven Lars, but like jsbt often puts it, you have to have a strong actor and a strong reason for them to be on-canvas beyond, "Hey look, it's Sarah/Steven Lars!".

And given the casting failures, I'd be much more into Liz's mom, who'd be a complete blank slate.  Or hell, if the show refuses to age Liz's kids, reveal that Sarah had a kid off-screen who she ships to stay with Liz and play on the parallels of Audrey taking in Sarah and Liz when they were younger.

• Love 9

Yeah.  It'd be nice for the show to invest in Sarah and Steven Lars, but like jsbt often puts it, you have to have a strong actor and a strong reason for them to be on-canvas beyond, "Hey look, it's Sarah/Steven Lars!".

And given the casting failures, I'd be much more into Liz's mom, who'd be a complete blank slate.  Or hell, if the show refuses to age Liz's kids, reveal that Sarah had a kid off-screen who she ships to stay with Liz and play on the parallels of Audrey taking in Sarah and Liz when they were younger.

Bringing on Liz's mother would be an actual genuine story for Liz, too.  Because there are going to be issues there.  Her parents dumped her off as a teen to stay with Audrey, and, as far as we can tell, they didn't even bother to make an etiquette based "hey, sorry your kid died" call when Jake was believed dead.  There's story to be told there if the show was willing to tell it. 

• Love 5

I'd be down with bringing back Sarah (a cursed soap character if ever I've seen one) provided they had a real story and concept for the actual character and someone good. Rebecca Budig could've done it, but here we are. There are stories to tell with Liz's child, Liz's family, Liz's parents but the show has no investment in Liz beyond the endless demeaning triangles with Jason. I don't think that has anything to do with Sam, I think it's been that way well before Sam came to the show.

• Love 8

At this point it's not just that Dante cheated - he lied for months and his behavior with Valerie was incredibly inappropriate both before and after they were exposed. Also? he dated his wife's cousin! while they were still married!

These writers took the shit sandwich that was the Dante cheating story and turned it into a shit buffet

Dante was the guilty one. He cheated twice in his marriage bed. He is a pig. I see the apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree..If lulu did this Sonny would be calling her all the names he could think of.Dante is Sonny's son.I'm done.

• Love 1
Oh, as far as product placement, I love the breakfast/lunch scenes with the orange juice, thanks to the Florida Orange Growers.

At least that's natural placement, and we don't have everyone saying, "Here, have some Florida orange juice with your breakfast." "I'm thirsty; do we have any Florida orange juice?" "Some Florida orange juice would taste really good with my blueberry muffin."

• Love 2

I'm still at a loss as to why they even had Lucas bring it back up again in his once monthly appearance awhile back if they weren't going to do anything with it. The pacing now is worse than RC's tbh.

I agree that it's ridiculous, but I don't think it's about Liz vs. Sam for the writers. Virtually every other character, not just Sam, has more family than Liz. I don't even think it's a, "We hate Liz," thing, I think it's a, "We're lazy and Liz isn't that important to us," thing. Which still sucks,.

I just mentioned Sam as an example, I don't think it's necessarily a Sam vs.Liz thing.

But since you brought it up, it's obvious the writers DO care more about Sam in terms of giving her a support system. Because if they cared as much about Liz, they'd give her the same. Much like if they thought the Q's were important as the ridiculously boring Corinthii, they'd give the Qs more family.

There was no reason to bring Kristina back. ALexis had two other daughters on canvas, Sonny had his 83 spawn already.

That money could have gone towards someone who could actually act. But, I digress.

• Love 7

I just mentioned Sam as an example, I don't think it's necessarily a Sam vs.Liz thing.

But since you brought it up, it's obvious the writers DO care more about Sam in terms of giving her a support system. Because if they cared as much about Liz, they'd give her the same. Much like if they thought the Q's were important as the ridiculously boring Corinthii, they'd give the Qs more family.

There was no reason to bring Kristina back. ALexis had two other daughters on canvas, Sonny had his 83 spawn already.

That money could have gone towards someone who could actually act. But, I digress.

Exactly. To me, it's just a larger point that some characters are more important than others to TPTB. It's always been that way and it's always been frustrating if you're not necessarily a fan of the favored ones.

• Love 4

Besides the actress's shortcomings, the character is just ridiculous.  What's with all the sexually suggestive stuff she's constantly is spouting--whether it be taunting Molly's virginity or practically telling Jason and Sam to have sex right in front of her.  Is this supposed to make me think she's uninhibited, therefore open to sexual experimentation or something?  Because it doesn't work when it's coming from an actress who can't sell it.  

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 5

Exactly. To me, it's just a larger point that some characters are more important than others to TPTB. It's always been that way and it's always been frustrating if you're not necessarily a fan of the favored ones.

And I am one who doesn't really care about Sam one way or the other, much like Liz. So it's especially frustrating to me.

Besides the actress's shortcomings, the character is just ridiculous.  What's with all the sexually suggestive stuff she's constantly is spouting--whether it be taunting Molly's virginity or practically telling Jason and Sam to have sex right in front of her.  Is this supposed to make me think she's uninhibited, therefore open to sexual experimentation or something?  Because it doesn't work when it's coming from an actress who can't sell it.  

She's just annoying and pointless. No true vulnerability or likeability for me for this character at all, and the actress does NOT help.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1

Kikis acting today, yikes. Her screaming at Morgan was horrendous. Does Kiki ever do her job at work. All she does is talk with customers.

Avery yelling "camera" was so cute. 

Mr. Roy was hot. I hope Lulu sleeps with him right in front of Dante. Let me guess this guy will bring danger and Dante will end up being right. Because of course. Lulu is always wrong. 

• Love 3

Mr. Roy was hot. I hope Lulu sleeps with him right in front of Dante. Let me guess this guy will bring danger and Dante will end up being right. Because of course. Lulu is always wrong. 

Of course! That will teach Lulu to ever harbor independent thought again! I wouldn't be surprised if she quit completely too after this.

• Love 6

Sonny furiously firing Morgan for banging Darby all over the warehouse when he fucked a woman he hated IN A CRYPT...ridiculous.

Michael Easton possibly/probably playing Dixon, this boss of Paul's I finally heard mentioned today...ridiculous.

Michael in any scene with Sonny regarding Avery's custody...ridiculous.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 11

Maxie and Kiki propping Nina is not going to help make the character believable or likable, Show.

Watch it, Paul. Anna could break your wrist/hand/arm with little effort.

I like how Avery just seems over all the posturing.

I wonder if any of you are still conscious after the danger anvils of the Dante/Lulu Haunted Star scenes. I assume "Roy" is that Raj guy?

Re: previews: So Sam finally gets to sorta confront/tell off Nikolas? How long's it been now since Liz admitted to Jason that Nikolas told her the truth? 

• Love 5

Anna and Paul were the only enjoyable parts of the show today, so of course their scenes were the shortest. 

While I despise Kiki and her ass-kissing ways, I did feel a little bad for her today with Maxie.  But, she's stupid and annoying so the feeling won't last long.  Also, it sucks that so much of Maxie's dialog consists of Nina propping.  Yet another vet being wasted on someone I can't stand.

I don't care if any of the Corinthii are in pain, because it will never be more than what they deserve.  It doesn't help that MB and BC are both terrible.  If they're not stumbling, stuttering or repeating their lines then they're yelling, cutting each other off and pulling stupid faces.  I wish the show would dump them and the rest of that shitty clan and invest in the families I actually care about.

• Love 5

They pretty much brought Kristina back to prop Sonny, considering how little they seem to care about moving forward with her gay/bi/pan storyline. And since it seems they are adding to the mob canvas, I'm guessing we'll hear more nonsense about Sonny being good that has no basis in reality.

• Love 3