Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

I liked Carly saying that Rocco never stays at Sonny's.

Was Sonny giving TJ permission for Molly and TJ to have sex in TJ's room when he said TJ could do anything in there?

But seriously, worst father ever. Tell Carly to mind her own business, it doesn't matter how much she harangues him, and to move on. And Carly, please spare the concern. Please. Why does Dante talk to him at ALL again??? (rhetorical question, sigh)

It was cute when Maxie said where's my Lulu. The fake eyelashes were not though.

Valerie: who could that be?

I dunno Valerie, a friend? A relative? A neighbor? Your undead mom in a wheelchair?

I started cracking up when Frank Smith appeared, not because I thought it was that funny because I could just hear the groan Tony Geary must have made when he read that in the script. And sorry, I know he has minions and all but Laura looks ridiculous being scared by the old guy in a wheelchair. Unless she thought he was a zombie. Then maybe I'd get it.

Dillon (as passionately as corn): If you want to shoot Lulu you'll have to get through me

me: oh lord

Valerie: The fourth of July was my mom's favorite holiday

me: oh for fuck's sake

I suppose if it had been arbor day Valerie would have talked about how she and her mother used to go out and plant trees together [insert Nathan West joke here].

Dante: let's watch the fireworks. In honor of your mother. Also, let me put my penis in your vagina. In honor of your mother.

You can tell Dante's sad, cause he didn't have time to spike his hair apparently.

Kiki: You're so great. I'm so lucky to have you.

Okay, let's leave aside the shit where I couldn't give a shit if poor poor Kiki will get hurt. Where in the WORLD would Kiki get this idea that Morgan is some pure creature who would NEVER cheat or lie or steal or DRUG PEOPLE, a plan in which she got her panties in a self-righteous twist about. MORGAN SUCKS YOU AND YOU KNOW IT KIKI.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The plot point-itis is just making me frustrated.

I'd probably have more to talk about if I watched the Luke scenes, but I couldn't.

I remember Sonny using that TJ could have sex witth his underage niece as a point in favor of TJ moving in.

• Love 4

Dillon got knocked the fuck out ahahahahahaha!!

I said it on twitter and I'll say it here, TJ living with Sonny is utter fuckery. If they really did want to build up their young adult set, TJ and by extension Molly, are perfectly positioned. Spend a lil bit of cash & build a multi bedroom house set that TJ rents with several other PCU students on campus. Hell, with a few modifications you could probably get away with converting Liez's house when needed. Have one or two of them studying in the medical field and get them interacting at the hospital. Another could be studying criminal justice and working an internship at the DA's office. And TJ should be interning at ELQ. He came on as a street kid, right? So crib from Empire and show him using his street smarts in the business world. Geez this stuff writes itself, I don't understand why MorKiKi are on my tv screen instead.

I thought Jiz & Samtrick were supposed to be at the park too? Will we see their scenes at the end of the fireworks or are we starting the 4th festivities all over again from a different group perspective of the same day? I'm confused.

• Love 8

I'm hoping that Frank Smith unveils that he's responsible for the following things:

the water supply poisoning and every appearance of the Legion of Doom over the past three years including but not limited to Lulu as popsicle, anything having to do with Crighton Clark and Robin being kept in Paris.

the mistaken belief that AJ is dead

the mistaken belief that Jake Dough is Jason Quartermaine

the reappearance and subsequent disappearance of Spinelli

cancelling One Life to Live

climate change

the gold and blue dress

But then, I can never have nice things.

• Love 19

No flashbacks were shown, so I'm assuming that that wasn't the one who'd played Frank at the time?

You guess right: George Gaynes (a.k.a. Punky Brewster's foster father, Henry Warnimont!) was the original, but Mitchell Ryan is most remembered as Frank Smith in the '80s.

ETA: Corrected info as there was another actor prior to Ryan per Wiki.

• Love 1

No flashbacks were shown, so I'm assuming that that wasn't the one who'd played Frank at the time?

Which kinda made the whole thing fall flat.  The guy rolls out in his wheelchair and even those viewers who remember Frank Smith wouldn't have that immediate shock of recognition.

• Love 5

Yeah for small victories:

* It's not yet again Jerry Jacks from the dead, or SB is too bust.

* Ethan not killed off as another character Ron doesn't give a shit about.

* Maxie and Nathan have a new tradition. Better kinky story than 'Fifty shades'.

I'll take Spenser's turn to the Towniie Side if it means he's less annoying.

I'm still unsure this isn't all a Dylan production to win Lulu.

Sonny realizes there's another plotline going on, but is too involved with his newest spawn and with his son TJ. Carly sent to figure everything out.

Someone call the Pope to give one of those "Get Out of Jail" indulgences so that MW can stay on the show as Ava.

Shut up, Kiki. And Sabrina. I know, she wasn't on today.

I learned that Sadness makes Valerie horny.

Go away, Franco.

• Love 4

Isnt one of the actors 98? 

The first actor, George Gaines, is in his 90s. Not only do I also recall him on Punky Brewster, as I said above, he was in those goofy Police Academy movies, too.

Per Wikipedia, Frank Smith #2, Mitchell Ryan, is now 81. (Also recall him as Natalie Hunter's first husband, Alex Hunter, on All My Children and he was great as a villain with Gary Busey in the first Lethal Weapon movie.)

• Love 2

As someone pointed out, Ron was at least on staff when they brought back from the dead 500 year old Victor Lord Sr.  So once more, Ron's grabbing old scripts and crossing out the names of past characters.

Ron: "I have no recollection of that." 

• Love 13
Per Wikipedia, Frank Smith #2, Mitchell Ryan, is now 81. (Also recall him as Natalie Hunter's first husband, Alex Hunter, on All My Children and he was great as a villain with Gary Busey in the first Lethal Weapon movie.)

He also played Blanche Devereaux's abusive boyfriend Rex Huntington.

I hate Franco, but he was very entertaining trolling Denise.

LOL that Dante is talking about Rocco like he's in the apartment and Maxie can't turn her head to see the crib is empty.

Frank Smith returns and I'm bored beyond belief. 

Valerie's sob story about the Fourth of July was so lame. This is what causes Dante to cheat? Ugh.

• Love 5
Valerie's sob story about the Fourth of July was so lame. This is what causes Dante to cheat? Ugh.

All Valerie does is cry and tell Dante how wonderful he is while he drinks beer after beer.  The sexual tension is riveting!

• Love 14

All Valerie does is cry and tell Dante how wonderful he is while he drinks beer after beer.  The sexual tension is riveting!

Ron is best at very simple relationships--"Wife cheat on me, I screw you now". Complex issues, race plus workplace plus issues with relationship and hero worship plus family issues all adding up, are well past what Ron can present.

• Love 4
(edited)

George Gaynes, who played the original Frank Smith, turned 98 this year.

So Frank Smith is a villain who played the long, long game. And had great genes.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 3

I said it on twitter and I'll say it here, TJ living with Sonny is utter fuckery. If they really did want to build up their young adult set, TJ and by extension Molly, are perfectly positioned. Spend a lil bit of cash & build a multi bedroom house set that TJ rents with several other PCU students on campus. Hell, with a few modifications you could probably get away with converting Liez's house when needed. Have one or two of them studying in the medical field and get them interacting at the hospital. Another could be studying criminal justice and working an internship at the DA's office. And TJ should be interning at ELQ. He came on as a street kid, right? So crib from Empire and show him using his street smarts in the business world. Geez this stuff writes itself, I don't understand why MorKiKi are on my tv screen instead.

They don't even have to build a set. They could use the freaking Brownstone set that is currently empty and unused.

• Love 10

The funny thing is that Ron actually almost erased the terrible Undead Victor Lord story when he got his start as a HW - but he pulled away from outright calling that old fossil an imposter, he just hinted at it, the same way he weakly 'tried' to undo the Rick Webber attic story during the 50th anniversary. Remember when Ghost Rick told Tracy and Monica "that's not what happened," and nothing else? If you're gonna retcon something big and bad, go all the way, don't half-ass it. We know he can go full throttle when he wants to. (Case in point: Stavros, A.J., probably next week)

He's done a lot more old, old undead people since his beginnings, so I guess he feels liberated now. But honestly, I think a more current and relevant story would've been to introduce (in a slightly longer timeframe) some sexy, dangerous young heirs to the Smith family, working under aliases, and then maybe, if you want ol' Frank to be on like life support, oxygen tank, etc. croaking out his last in the shadows, fine, but don't pretend this guy is rolling around getting it done. That trick has gotten old and super-cheesy, Ron's gone to the well too many times.

• Love 6

Damm it, Luke's swansong is nothing more than a boring rethread of so many other stories. Can this writing team please come up with something a bit more original. Plus, I don't want to see any more dead people resurrected, that in itself is getting boring.

• Love 4

Ugh! I would like to go back in time and slap the person who first conceived of the "Character Comes Back From the Dead" plot contrivance. It is so utterly and completely overdone. How totally uncreative! I don't even know why people on soaps even bother going to funerals or mourning the dead at this point. Character A vanishes? Eh, just mark the calendar for about 18 months down the road, and he or she is bound to return. Takes all of the emotion and suspense out of everything, kind of like watching How I Met Your Mother reruns after knowing how it ends. The fact that Luke or Laura looked remotely shocked at Frank's reincarnation is even more ridiculous. Don't they pay attention to the goings on in this town?

Also, Kiki looks like a perfect blend of Alicia Silverstone and Brittany Murphy. Looking at her makes me want to go watch Clueless.

• Love 5
(edited)

All Valerie does is cry and tell Dante how wonderful he is while he drinks beer after beer. The sexual tension is riveting!

Dante is getting closer and closer to unrecognizable to me. And it's only been like, a week. Ron works fast in the destruction department.

ETA: Liz tells Patrick in the previews that she hasn't heard from Lucky. Meanwhile, Patrick hasn't heard from Robin in 9 months and he doesn't give a shit!

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 6

Ugh! I would like to go back in time and slap the person who first conceived of the "Character Comes Back From the Dead" plot contrivance. It is so utterly and completely overdone. How totally uncreative! I don't even know why people on soaps even bother going to funerals or mourning the dead at this point. Character A vanishes? Eh, just mark the calendar for about 18 months down the road, and he or she is bound to return. Takes all of the emotion and suspense out of everything, kind of like watching How I Met Your Mother reruns after knowing how it ends. The fact that Luke or Laura looked remotely shocked at Frank's reincarnation is even more ridiculous. Don't they pay attention to the goings on in this town?

Also, Kiki looks like a perfect blend of Alicia Silverstone and Brittany Murphy. Looking at her makes me want to go watch Clueless.

Isn't Kiki pretty much clueless?

• Love 1

Y'all know how I feel about Sonny, and how I feel about Carly when she's near Sonny. But I laughed my ass off when Sonny was all "Let it go, Carly" and she knee-jerk replied "How long have you known me?" Because, yes. Girl has never let anything go in her life, in all the iterations of her. And Sonny thinking she would let this go, even if it's about her family that she mostly doesn't bother with, is ridiculous. I liked the moment.

I hate Carly being the one to figure out something hinky is up with Lulu, but it kind of makes sense. Carly is generally duplicitous and so it's not surprising that she would suspect someone's motives. But Carly also knows that Lulu isn't like Carly and so Lulu supposedly running off with Dillion would make Carly suspect. This whole thing is such a better story if Dante and Valerie are playing with fire instead of actually burning themselves.

How absolutely exciting and riveting that Luke is going out on a Frank Smith story. Really, I mean that. Totally serious. Not being sarcastic at all.

• Love 6
(edited)
If you're gonna retcon something big and bad, go all the way, don't half-ass it. We know he can go full throttle when he wants to.

and

I think a more current and relevant story would've been to introduce (in a slightly longer timeframe) some sexy, dangerous young heirs to the Smith family, working under aliases, and then maybe, if you want ol' Frank to be on like life support, oxygen tank, etc. croaking out his last in the shadows, fine, but don't pretend this guy is rolling around getting it done.

Ron chooses very odd hills to plant his flag on. (Exhibit A, now and forever: Franco and Nina.) It's ridiculous that Frank is barking out orders to minions from a wheelchair after twenty years. Why on earth would anyone work for him at this point? If they were going to bring back Jennifer, it would have been better that she was the one calling the shots, not blackmailing Luke into sleeping with her. Ew.

I'm not averse in principal to Remembrance of Villains Past for Luke's farewell—it makes sense that there's a certain amount of summing up for the character—but Ron does it in the worst possible way. I'd rather see flashbacks. Isn't that the cheaper option anyway? But then I guess Ron can't put his special spin on it. Sigh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7

If they really wanted to make things interesting they should've brought Dante and Valerie along with NuLu and Dillon. Show them all bonding in different combinations trying to help. Vante could bond over kinda being forced into helping even though they have issues with Luke and Dillon on NuLu's side. So when they come back there's fallout and the conscious uncoupling can begin.

When's Lucky getting here? And why is Liez pretending like she cares about anything other than Jakeson's peen?

Why are Freaco and Duhnise? Seriously, why? Are any actual adults at ABC watching this crap? I haven't noticed any promos lately, somebody figured out they were just throwing good money after bad. Where's that person and why aren't they in charge?

• Love 5

Y'all know how I feel about Sonny, and how I feel about Carly when she's near Sonny. But I laughed my ass off when Sonny was all "Let it go, Carly" and she knee-jerk replied "How long have you known me?" Because, yes.

He could have said "they're having a fight, that's all I know" though. I have little hope Dante will realize Sonny ratted him out, but if he does, I hope he says, seriously, I lied about you shooting me, and you spilled in 2 seconds to Carly??

• Love 5

I love this post.

Take it to the Quartermaine crypt and get it pregnant! 

I reacted pretty much the same way. I know American people are very patriotic, and who doesn't like a day off work, but that line seemed a bit much. 

It felt incredibly tacky for Valerie to sit on someone else's bed while being sad/watching fireworks. Would it have killed them to have a loveseat or something else sit-able there instead? 

Dante is getting closer and closer to unrecognizable to me. And it's only been like, a week. Ron works fast in the destruction department.

It sucks when they do that to a character you like. Dante isn't even close to one of my fave's, but this is way too out of character.  He'd never snuggle up to someone else in his wife's bed. 

I would love to have a new writer come in and just wipe out everything RC did after Robin showed up at Patrick's wedding

Except the part where he immediately forgets Sabrina exists, and lays that kiss on Robin, right? We get to keep that? Please? 

• Love 5
(edited)

Luke's last adventure is as boring as the stupid Fluke stuff.

Tony G is practically the only actor who seems to think the adventures are riveting. Genie F and Emma Samms are smirking when the camera is focused elsewhere--as if they can't believe they are getting paid for this, but oh well. Kin S and Jane E also can't hide all their smirks, but the gal who plays Bobbie is giving her all, earnestly, complete with eye-popping gapes.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 1

Am I supposed to care that Frank Smith is alive? I'm aware of who he is but I wasn't watching when he was on originally so this really means nothing to me. My only take away from this is that Ron plans on bringing back every dead character in Geriatric Hospital  history.

I was watching back then, and I don't care either.  

I said it on twitter and I'll say it here, TJ living with Sonny is utter fuckery. If they really did want to build up their young adult set, TJ and by extension Molly, are perfectly positioned. Spend a lil bit of cash & build a multi bedroom house set that TJ rents with several other PCU students on campus. 

I know the perfect boarding house for such a group!  Seriously, why go to all the trouble of building a new home for folks in PC, only to leave it in the dust of plotsylvania a couple months later?

I don't even remember who played Frank Smith back in the day, but I think he'd be ancient by now.

You guys, I'm on Tuesday's episode and I'm trying, I am, but how on Earth am I going to get through Michael giving AJ back to Sonny? I don't think I can do it!

Do what I did .Just skip it. Anyday without S&C is a good day.

• Love 2
Take it to the Quartermaine crypt and get it pregnant!

I think the Q crypt is for hatesex pregnancies only.  

The fact that Luke or Laura looked remotely shocked at Frank's reincarnation is even more ridiculous. Don't they pay attention to the goings on in this town?

If I lived in a soap town, I'd want a move to all glass coffins, on display in tombs open to the public (but securely guarded to keep the Legion of Doom from making any switches).  How do you ever believe anyone is dead when you live in a town where everybody comes back from the dead?  Liz should have thrown that in there in her rant about the people in town during the NB:  "And my son is the only person in this damn town who has died and stayed dead.  These people all get their loved ones back!" 

• Love 8

Mitchell Ryan is 87.

So no one in Luke's family wonders why Luke and Frank Smith look the same age?

That would require acknowledging Luke is not a virile stud anymore. So no.

• Love 8

Yeah?  Favorite holiday?  Did she put up a 4th of July tree?  Sing carols?  Go trick or treating?  Dress up like Lady Liberty?  Put on a Ted Cruz mask and go terrorize small children?  Maybe make her famous Battle of Gettysburg brownies?   Or maybe she just LOVED those foot longs.....  And hot dogs too.

If the 4th was Patricia's favorite holiday, then she was just as nuts as the other Spencers.  

• Love 12

Yeah?  Favorite holiday?  Did she put up a 4th of July tree?  Sing carols?  Go trick or treating?  Dress up like Lady Liberty?

Maybe she celebrated every year by liberating a family from an abusive parent by killing him and burying him in the drywall of the family's basement. Happy Independence Day everyone! 

• Love 17

Well, I guess I'll catch up on this week's episodes now...

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE!

Of course, I doubt there'll be fireworks here, as it just started thunderstorming! They'll probably have them tomorrow.

• Love 2

The first actor, George Gaines, is in his 90s. Not only do I also recall him on Punky Brewster, as I said above, he was in those goofy Police Academy movies, too.

And in the movie Tootsie! And yes, George Gaynes turned 98 on May 16th. And, from what I understand, he still has that great operatic singing voice.

*Not an 80's kid, I watched Punky Brewster on the Family Channel (post-CBN, pre-Fox Family Channel/ABC Family) from 1993-1996 (when I was 4-7 years old). I have all four seasons on DVD, too. #notashamed

• Love 4

I would love to have a new writer come in and just wipe out everything RC did after Robin showed up at Patrick's wedding

Except the part where he immediately forgets Sabrina exists, and lays that kiss on Robin, right? We get to keep that? Please? 

We keep everything up until RC tried to pretend that Patrick would be at all conflicted 

• Love 6

You know what they should do?  This would be amazing....Let's bring Duke back and just go ahead and kill and resurrect him every week.  It could be like an ongoing gimmick.  Kind of like Kenny on South Park.

Have him dying in the background of certain scenes, and then the next week just have him casually walk back into Kelly's and order a coffee.

I would totally watch just for that.  (what, it's not much of a stretch from the parade of undead we are getting now)

• Love 14

You know what they should do?  This would be amazing....Let's bring Duke back and just go ahead and kill and resurrect him every week.  It could be like an ongoing gimmick.  Kind of like Kenny on South Park.

Have him dying in the background of certain scenes, and then the next week just have him casually walk back into Kelly's and order a coffee.

I would totally watch just for that.  (what, it's not much of a stretch from the parade of undead we are getting now)

But if Duke is Kenny, we need a Kyle and Cartman for the "You killed Duke!" "YOU BASTARDS!" deal, or it won't have the same zing.

• Love 2