Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Final

• Start Topic

This was so enjoyable. I have liked all these people so much and they are all so talented.  I wish this show was on every week.  There is a special alchemy to this show and there is nothing like it on American TV anywhere.

• Love 6

Tamal's showstopper busted? Seriously? I thought it was a work of art, and the judges agreed with me. Ian's was the one that was nothing that special. The cake may have been delicious, but it doesn't take a great deal of talent or imagination to continue a carrot across five cakes. Hurray for Nadiya -- a well deserved win.

• Love 7
On 8/13/2016 at 0:09 PM, mlp said:

By the time she finished talking about how she'll never be afraid to do anything again, I was in tears just like, apparently, everyone else.  

I teared up every now and then from general sweetness, but Nadiya's realization had me practically sobbing---in a good way, as I believe in the power of  cooking/baking and sharing food to transform. And we could virtually see a veil of doubt and fear being lifted. Remarkable in the loveliest way.

• Love 6

I work with and teach many, many Muslim women far more observant than Nadiya. Some wear full black garb, some modest, but still with full skirts, no pants (although I do see a few younger students wearing jeans). I believe the only Muslim women who are allowed to work under most structures are married. If they go to school, unmarried, I KNOW that they have to have a male looking over them, as in, men cannot personally help them as a teacher or tutor without a male present. I also teach a woman from Iraq in ESL in full female Muslim garb who was once a doctor. She is awesome. 

• Love 1

On the topic of Nadiya's hair, a recent interview indicated that she started wearing as a teenager to cover "bad hair":

The 31-year-old told the Times that when she probably put on a hijab aged 14 to cover up her 'bad hair more than anything else' because her father 'cut it really badly.'

Her parents were not particularly religious – and neither her mother or three sisters covered their hair hen she was growing up -  but she started to connect with Islam at school, reading about it in the RE section of the library.

She said: “My mum said: 'What's wrong with her? Why does she want to cover her hair?' And I said: 'Well, I don't care what society thinks, I wear it because I want to.'”

Nadiya and her husband did not meet until the day they got married, but things have gone really well with them. Her husband proposed to her on air and they are renewing their vows.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Athena said:

On the topic of Nadiya's hair, a recent interview indicated that she started wearing as a teenager to cover "bad hair":

Nadiya and her husband did not meet until the day they got married, but things have gone really well with them. Her husband proposed to her on air and they are renewing their vows.

That's so sweet. I loved his comments about her on the show.  So happy for her and supportive of her.

• Love 2

Here's a link to a tv spot where Nadiya talks about having an arranged marriage.  It's really not uncommon in several cultures.  It can actually be fairly complicated as a process with one wedding ceremony that precedes a year of what amounts to dating and a second wedding ceremony a year later, but that depends on the culture, the region, etc.    

Apparently, it is not something they are planning on doing with their own children, but it worked out for them.  

• Love 2

all praise must be given to the perfect orb of Mary's hairdo.

Ah, Mary Berry. The English grandmother we all never knew we wanted, but one we all deserve.

And speaking of perfect buns, tuck your shirt in, Paul, so we (well, I) can enjoy the view of you from behind in those nice tight jeans. No disrespect to the contestants, but Paul usually is the most delicious thing in each episode.

On 8/14/2016 at 11:59 AM, Refresh said:

I was holding together until this too. Just sheer joy.

I've made Marshmallow fondant a couple of times. I'd rather do that than buying a bucket of whatever in stores. I don't make many fondant cakes but I find it pretty easy to work with. Great thing about it is that if it gets hard, you just microwave it to soften it up. It's pretty easy to color too but it makes a lovely white by itself. I also like the flavor is vanilla (or you can flavor it, lemon is nice) rather than almond which I think is classic fondant.

I call foul on Mary saying she'd never heard of it.  If I've heard of it, Mary has heard of it.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:41 PM, Athena said:

Buns can be sweet or neutral/savoury. In North America, buns are predominantly used for savoury things such as hot dogs and hamburgers. In other countries (not just the UK), they can be used for sweets as they were here. The type of buns in this challenge were not from choux pastry. The idea of these buns are similar to eclairs, but not with choux.

I know, but visually, they were exactly like the club rolls we used for sandwiches at an office party last week.  I had to keep telling myself that they were sweet; didn't really help, though.

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

My small heart grew three sizes when I saw how excited Naadiya's little boys were. (the older one with the glasses! What a darling!) What adorable kids she has. She was my favorite from the beginning, so glad she won! Just a lovely person. Sweet and self effacing but absolutely focused. Loved her new confidence in herself. 

Did she start having children at, like, 3 or something?  I would never have believed she was old enough to have children that old. 

I loved this finale.  While I was secretly rooting for Tamal, I'd have been happy with any of them winning, and yes, Nadiya's victory made me tear up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Portia said:

I think Nadiya's husband looks even youner than she does. They're  a beautiful pair. 

They are both lovely. He's a very good looking man! (I must be the only one who would have pegged her age correctly.)

1 hour ago, tvchick said:

Ian was a guest on today's WaPo food chat.

Ian is charming and he tells all

I appreciate this answer: "We did get to try each others bakes and it was really interesting. Basically every time I agreed with Mary and Paul. Tamal did some great stuff and Nadiyas Black Forest Gateau in week 1 was a good show of what was to come." He's a very, very gracious non-winner. That's a great quality.

Also this one: "I always thought Paul was firm but fair - you do a bad job and he'll tell you that. Mary, bless her, would always try and say something nice. He would play mind games with you... that stare! Never did get to try their bakes though."  I hate Paul's mind games. I have a hard time liking him because of it.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I know, but visually, they were exactly like the club rolls we used for sandwiches at an office party last week.  I had to keep telling myself that they were sweet; didn't really help, though.

I'm going just on the visual, but it seemed to me the dough was probably something like what you'd get in a cinnamon roll, just...without the cinnamon, and not spiraly whatnot.

OK, so I love this show. Y'all know I love this show. Y'all know I love how this show is for the most part, shenanigan-free. So imagine my own surprise when I had the following pessimistic reaction:

It was raining outside when they started the bake. I know it cleared up in time for Tamal to do his sugar work. But man oh man did the garden party seem Way.Too.Dry. I don't even actually think there were shenanigans here, but this type of reaction from me is something I would barely shrug at with other reality shows that part of my surprise is even that I'm suspicious at all. Why wasn't the grass muddy? Why was the ground sturdy enough for that skateboard kid to go down that little slope? Did they have Wimbledon caliber vacuums and whatnot to dry the grassy field? I was SO distracted by this. How much time passed from the rain to the sun? Was it not raining that hard or that long after all? Did they reshoot B-roll on the tail end of the party but make it look like the beginning? How many hours? I have serious cognitive dissonance going on here.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

I hate Paul's mind games.

I don't mind him challenging the baker to explain a method or flavor or something like that, but I hate when he does stuff like say, "Oh, Nadiya...[endless pause]...it's fantastic." That's not funny or cute, it's irritating. But I suppose there needs to be a contrast with Mary, who, as Ian pointed out, always tries to say something positive, even when the finished bake is an obvious disaster.

• Love 1

I don't mind him challenging the baker to explain a method or flavor or something like that, but I hate when he does stuff like say, "Oh, Nadiya...[endless pause]...it's fantastic." 

I agree and he can be downright mean, I think.  There was absolutely no reason for him to be snarky about that horse cookie cutter that Flora made.  Why did he need to say it looked like a dog?  Just throw one more bomb to ramp up her nerves?  And continually questioning Ian's choice of flavorings?  It was not helpful, simply done to make the contestant uncomfortable and doubt the plan.  Can't stand that kind of dominant arrogance.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It was not helpful, simply done to make the contestant uncomfortable and doubt the plan.

I think that's the point though, to make them question and see if they stick to their guns. I don't mind it because I'm used to American reality TV judges who makes Paul Hollywood look like a cuddly kitten.

Honestly, the only time he bugged me was the dog comment about Flora's horse mold. That seemed unnecessary. Him questioning flavor choices I have no problem with because when it works out he is always the first to admit it worked.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Him questioning flavor choices I have no problem with because when it works out he is always the first to admit it worked.

Exactly, and when the bakers do go outside the norm with flavors—like Nadiya did with the bubble gum and marshmallow—asking them about it gives a clue to their thought process.

The cookie cutter sneer was plain mean.

• Love 3

I watched every episode this season at least twice, and the finale was no exception. And it was such a wonderful finish -- I was a happy blubbering mess. I cried when Tamal's sister cried. I cried when Ian cried. I cried when Nadiya cried. I cried when the finalists hugged each other. I cried when Tamal cried. I cried when MARY cried (MOST OF ALL)! But in the best way. 

I can't believe how much joy this simple baking show has brought me, but... there you go. I felt so proud of all three finalists, and so much affection for them. I loved seeing their loved ones be so proud -- Nadiya's beautiful husband, Tamal's lovely sister, Ian's adorable children (loved the picture of them in the pots and pans on the stove!)... they just all seem like such good, kind, nice, quirky, funny, cool people. I want to be friends with them all and visit them in Bread Narnia, darn it! (TM Stillshimpy). And drink tea and joke with Sue and Mel, and get baking insights from Mary and Paul. Seriously. I would watch this show every single day.

I still think GBBO should be required viewing for all heads of state across the world. We'd have an outbreak of global peace and love and acceptance of all races, religions, and sexual preferences, and the only dangers remaining would be to waistlines and sugar levels.

On 10/7/2015 at 7:35 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Loved seeing Nadiya, Tamal, and Ian hug before the results and then seeing Tamal cry afterward was great. Heh and of course he followed that up by saying she will be insufferable now. So cute to see him telling her kids that he will be coming over for dinner.

I loved that so much. Now I just want them to film it and release all Tamal & Nadiya (and other contestant) visits and release them on DVD! I'd buy it.

On 8/12/2016 at 8:09 PM, MerBearHou said:

It was great seeing the eliminated bakers in the party outside the tent -- felt a little like seeing old friends -- I got so attached to these contestants!  Mary Berry choking back tears after Nadiya won -- so sweet.  I can't help but compare my feelings for this show, atmosphere, judges, hosts, finalists and winner vs. other cooking competition shows -- absolutely night and day.  Dear Ian, Tamal and Nadiya -- I wish them ALL the very best!!

I feel the same way. I wish only good things for all of this season's contestants. As always, what absolutely lovely people.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:00 AM, lordonia said:

I cried through every family segment. I've always liked Ian and seeing his wife and kids sweetly filled in the picture of him, his house, and village. Tamal's sister relaying how she taught him to bake and tearing up from pride was also touching. The waterworks went into overdrive when Nadiya's father/FIL started jumping up and down with happiness.

Thanks also to Mark Blankenship for his funny and heartfelt recaps.

Ditto, Lordonia! And Mark, your recaps this season were almost as adorable as the show itself. Thank you for those. 

I love seeing everyone's homes -- and Nadiya's home looked absolutely beautiful and like she lives in a garden. Meanwhile, I was most interested in Ian's house. At first, his kitchen was such a disaster I reared back from the TV. But then I realized it wasn't as bad as it first looked -- his house is obviously very very old in that wonderful English "oh it's just a few centuries old" way, and the storage in the kitchen was mostly just a bunch of old shelves. So when I rewatched the episode, it was interesting to see how he had very little room in which to cook and bake -- no wonder he was constantly inventing new pans or pieces to work with!

On 8/13/2016 at 6:34 AM, starri said:

If Tamal is still single, if he can overlook the fact that I'm married, doesn't mind traveling to America, and is into schlubby guys...call me.

I am totally rooting for you two crazy kids to make it happen. But then you have to invite all of us to your wedding. And we have to make Nadiya bake the cake!

On 8/13/2016 at 8:52 AM, Rinaldo said:

In some ways, I think this ended up being the best of all their seasons. Not that there weren't perhaps more spectacular bakers, and challenges surmounted, other years.

But the fact that we ended up with three just lovely people in the final, who seemed like the three who should have been there, such that any of the three winning would be satisfying, and they all made wonderful final Showstoppers ("each best of kind" as Mary said) such that they could be proud of themselves... that rarely happens. 

I agree. There was something really special about this one.

On 8/13/2016 at 10:31 AM, stillshimpy said:

The whole thing was like the Great British Catharsis because without delving too deeply into the political sides of life: we just watched a wonderful, gorgeous, lovely group of incredibly good souls doing something they loved.  Being kind and respectful to one another despite having wildly divergent backgrounds and home lives.  Then an observant Muslim woman won the whole deal and even the host was weeping for joy for her.  

Dudes, we need this tent in our lives.  I want to go live in the Narnia Tent and pull the entire world in after us, because hot damn, the gentle kindness, tolerance and honoring differences in background and experience is a healing balm.  I will miss this show so much and this has been the best cast they've ever had, I truly believe that.

I was able to be thrilled (sobs of joy kind of thrilled) when Nadiya won and even better?  I would have felt exactly the same way had Ian or Tamal won.  There was no way to end up anything other than happy.  

Boy, that did my heart, my soul, my mind and my sleep a world of good.   

I felt exactly the same way. It's been a tough 2-3 weeks and this show just sent little magical sparkles of television delightfulness and kindness and Englishness and actual powdered sugar all over the place every time I watched. Oh, and I cried too. I was misty through the whole damn thing, interspersed with actual sobbing bouts (happy sobs). So funny!

On 8/13/2016 at 10:37 AM, Mabinogia said:

OMG that is perfect. I had such a shitty week this week that sitting back and watching this joy of a show and just crying my eyes out felt so good. This is my feel good show by far and reaffirms my faith in humanity (which I needed after the week I had).

Usually at this point I have a favorite but damned if I wasn't rooting for all three of them equally. I figured, when one of them one I would end up disappointed for the others, but they take it so well, and are so supportive of the winner that I am just happy for all of them for having had this wonderful experience.

I forgot to add, watching that one big tear rolling down Ian's cheek just crushed me. It was so earnest and he seems a fairly reserved man that I think that moment was just a true outpouring of quiet emotion.

You and me both! (I do hope your week improved...) And Ian's tear was one of the most moving moments for me as well, because he is so quiet and undemonstrative. I'm a sucker when men cry anyway.

I do feel the tiniest bit sorry for Ian because it just seems like nobody actually believed in him! Even his wif and kids at varying points have admitted they didn't think he would get very far. So I hope this proved to everyone how fantastic he is (and that the village's official best baker is green with jealousy! but lovingly and adorably of course)!

On 8/13/2016 at 10:39 AM, stillshimpy said:

Then just additionally?  I'm going to miss this discussion forum too.  Week after week, everyone being so kind, thoughtful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the entire show.  Anyone in the US knows that this summer has been a brutal news cycle and as goofy as it is to assign this to a baking show, it is nonetheless true:  You all helped me feel better and more hopeful for the future.  I know, makes me a freaking goober to think that about comments about a baking show, but this was the kindness, cutest, sweetest season and we all just loved the stuffing out of it.  

You all have been good for my heart this summer.  Thank you for that. 

Ditto to this. Me too also. I loved reading everyone's thoughts each week and will really miss that. Sniffle.

On 8/13/2016 at 11:09 AM, sandyskyblue said:

He really is. Thanks for sharing this! It's fascinating to hear about his photography work, and I hate that he was trolled a bit during and after the show. I loved seeing his new kitchen, too (the picture below is of Ian's cat, Freddy, in his postal-box breadbox)!

IC25333.jpg

On 8/13/2016 at 4:53 PM, Clanstarling said:

I teared up more than I would ever have imagined, and not just for Nadiya. I've always loved the family interviews, but for some reason these choked me up (or made me laugh) more than the other season finales. Nadiya's daughter, reciting the different types of cake she likes, was my favorite family moment. Something about her list just cracked me up.

I loved that too. Especially since she was basically just listing every kind of cake imaginable!

On 8/14/2016 at 6:31 AM, Meriadoc said:

I had to laugh when Mrs. Ian said he applied for the show because she wanted to go to the garden party but had no idea what it would turn into (cue video of their kitchen looking like a disaster). I "knew" Ian for 2 hours of tv time and could tell he was exactly the sort who gets obsessively into whatever is currently his thing so I bet Mrs. Ian had an idea what she was in for. Imagine what life must be like with Ian as your husband! Super fascinating but I guess it takes some patience too. Sure, honey, go ahead and turn our office into a metal working shop. No big deal, I'll just work in the kids bedroom. Oh, you want start cultivating fungus in the basement, sounds great!

I love that, though, and loved the way Ian's life seemed to shape his creations on the show -- how his own garden inspired him to new flavors or ideas, how he'd build the odd contraptions or molds, or even use his guinea hen eggs for the recipes. He seemed to really appreciate the experience from first to last. But they all did -- that's what I loved about it. No question that Nadiya and Tamal also reveled in the experience too.

Final proof that this show is Baking Narnia? Nadiya's new show is called "The Chronicles of Nadiya!" I mean, COME ON. (I just hope Warden Paul's Bread Aslan makes a guest appearance...)

• Love 8
On August 15, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Sew Sumi said:

I work with and teach many, many Muslim women far more observant than Nadiya. Some wear full black garb, some modest, but still with full skirts, no pants (although I do see a few younger students wearing jeans). I believe the only Muslim women who are allowed to work under most structures are married. If they go to school, unmarried, I KNOW that they have to have a male looking over them, as in, men cannot personally help them as a teacher or tutor without a male present. I also teach a woman from Iraq in ESL in full female Muslim garb who was once a doctor. She is awesome. 

Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding you but this is not true. I am muslim, single, and live alone in a big city on the other side of the country from most of my family. Most of my female family members, whether married or unmarried, also live lives without male supervision. I think my experience is probably far more common than the above. 

Nadiya's family was quite adorable. She and her husband seem very in love-- probably didn't hurt in the falling -in- love stage that they're both so damn cute. I come from a culture that has arranged marriages but my parents didn't have one and didn't push them on us. One of my brother did though, he and SIL (who lived in a different state before the marriage) spoke on the phone, I guess it was their form of dating. They're quite happy together now. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 10

This season was my first intro to this show- started catching it halfway through the season, and just watched the finale (on a truly terrible youtube video!).

Loved it!  Like many of you, cried at the end, and loved the family stories!  Nadiya especially has a beautiful family and adorable children!

And the "buns" reminded me so much of hotdog/hamburger rolls I kept finding it jarring to see them iced and filled with colorful things!  

Love that Mary Berry wears jeans!  

Now to hunt down the rest of the seasons!  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well finally got around to watching this season the last one I hadn't watched on netflix (minus the beginnings). I saved this one for last as I was already spoiled that Nadiya won. She does seem to be the most successful coming off of this show at least in the sense of being a TV personality. Is this the case?

Anyhow, I agree with people who were saying the buns looking like hotdog buns. I found that very distracting and kind of gross looking. I guess that's because this isn't something we do here in the US so it is off-putting. I loved that everyone did well in the show stopper. That is nice to see as it seems like often this isn't the case. And even knowing that Nadiya won, I still was very happy for her.

Edited by blueray

When they said iced buns, I was thinking cinnamon rolls so I was quite disappointed.  I don’t like fondant or fabric on my cake so Nadiya’s showstopper didn’t excite me at all.  The lemon cake part of it sounded delicious, though.  

I was just so pleased they all did so well!  Each of them knows they ended it with some of their best work rather than kicking themselves that they messed up. I wanted to taste each cake (once I scraped off the fondant).  Great season!

• Love 1

This was a wonderful season of Bake Off. I'm going in chronological order and it's definitely a favorite so far. It was a nice wholesome season where everyone cared about the competition but it didn't feel so stressful or dour. I don't know. Relative to other seasons, the contestants seemed less miserable, even if things didn't go perfectly. I think that was helped by contestants like Mat and Paul who could take things in stride. 

It felt like a good amateur baking competition this year. There were strong bakes in every challenge but up until the end, there were mistakes and weaker bakers, or at least, bakers who stumbled when pushed outside of their comfort zone. And even if I can't taste the food, it's always nice to have a season where bakers are frequently complimented on their flavors. I'd rather see people who seem to make things that taste good rather than people who can twist pretty bread plaits, especially when I try and look up the recipes later or at least take inspiration from the flavor combinations.

I loved all three bakers in the final. Tamal was probably my favorite (I already knew Nadiya won before starting the season) but they all produced strong bakes throughout the competition. Ian seemed strongest at the beginning and like he struggled the fancier bakes/techniques towards the end. Tamal was consistent throughout with small fluctuations. And Nadiya really hit her stride towards the end. So I'm not surprised with her win. The season also made me confident enough in their flavors that I want to look up their recipes/cookbooks and try them out. 

• Love 4