Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Final

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I was not spoiled but when the guys sort of blew the Signature and Technical, it was pretty clear that unless Nadiya crapped out on the Showstopper, she was in.

In an article that appeared after this finale aired in the UK, Mary Berry said much the same thing: after the first day, she and Paul both felt that unless Nadiya had a major failure on Day 2, it was hers.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Congratulations to Nadiya ... on having such a gorge husband! Oh, and on her baking as well.

I cried through every family segment. I've always liked Ian and seeing his wife and kids sweetly filled in the picture of him, his house, and village. Tamal's sister relaying how she taught him to bake and tearing up from pride was also touching. The waterworks went into overdrive when Nadiya's father/FIL started jumping up and down with happiness.

As for the food, it looked so good that I actually went to the store and bought some lemon drizzle pound cake! A poor substitute no doubt but I ate it while rewatching the episode.

Thanks also to Mark Blankenship for his funny and heartfelt recaps.

Yes to all of this! Esp. Nadiya's husband, damn.

I teared up at Paul and Mary's comments on each of the Showstoppers, because I am ridiculous, but I was really so happy for each of them for doing so well at the end. 

Go Nadiya! She is the best.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, GaT said:

When does the next season start?

BBC new season starts August 24, 2016. For PBS viewers, probably next year.

Now the finale is over, I can say that Nadiya's popularity has only soared since the finale. She's doing the usual books and tv appearances. She made the Queen's birthday cake. Love Productions - the creators of this show - are also making a tv special about her traveling to Bangladesh and all her favourites food. I am actually really looking forward to that.

Nadiya did reveal that her friends thought she was having an affair because she was away so often during the filming of the show.

• Love 13

I had stupidly looked at the Wikipedia article about the show and it spoiled the winner in the first paragraph.  So, knowing the outcome, I expected to just be normal excited.  Nope, still cried.  There have been very, very few reality show contestants where I watch the first episode, really love a contestant and hope she wins (all three of those have been women, for whatever reason), and then when she does, it's way satisfying.

The best thing about this show is that even though there's only one winner, nobody loses.

I hope Nadiya and her gorgeous husband enjoyed that beautiful wedding cake.  It was so perfect it took my breath away.

If Tamal is still single, if he can overlook the fact that I'm married, doesn't mind traveling to America, and is into schlubby guys...call me.

• Love 14

I found this show on Netflix and I'm pissed off that I missed most of this season.  This is my new favorite show.  Please, Netflix, please add more seasons.  

It warmed my cold, cold heart to watch all these lovely people do what they do best.  Lovely people is rarely a phrase I use when talking about reality tv.

The American versions of this show are just sad in comparison.  I think I'll make myself some tea and watch the Netflix season again.  I may have to forage for a yummy pastry too.

• Love 7

That was a great finale.  I got spoiled on who one a few weeks ago, but seeing Nadiya actually win was still awesome.  

I'll have to rewatch because I missed the first half (thanks, Olympics!) but I thought Tamal's showstopper would have won, because while Nadiya's was gorgeous visually, Tamal's flavorings once again shocked Paul and Mary.  They clearly weren't expecting his sticky toffee cake to taste good, let alone be prepared properly.  Had he not messed up earlier, he could have won it all.

I thought Ian was sweet and quite genuine.  But I knew he was out once Mary commented on the simplicity of his showstopper.  The flavor would have had to been magnificent to make up for the simple appearance.  While it probably tasted great, it wasn't enough to win it all.

Again, Nadiya's cake was beautiful, and it sounded scrumptious.  I like fondant, and I love marshmallow.  I would have been tucking into that thing before they even announced the winner!

Congratulations to Nadiya.  Poor girl was so stunned, she couldn't even speak, just gesturing to her "trophy" and the flowers like "I actually won?"  Combined with her family seeing her win (her adorable kids!) and Mary of all people tearing up, it was a very sweet victory for Nadiya indeed.  Pun intended.

I almost want a spin off of Tamal and Nadiya hanging out, because those two are a great pair.  Lol at Tamal going to Nadiya's house.

I would watch "Tamal and Nadiya Teaching Children Baking Basics". In fact, I'd buy the videos to enjoy rewatching, and to learn for myself!

• Love 11

In some ways, I think this ended up being the best of all their seasons. Not that there weren't perhaps more spectacular bakers, and challenges surmounted, other years.

But the fact that we ended up with three just lovely people in the final, who seemed like the three who should have been there, such that any of the three winning would be satisfying, and they all made wonderful final Showstoppers ("each best of kind" as Mary said) such that they could be proud of themselves... that rarely happens. 

• Love 14

Two other moments that I adored:  

1) Nadiya's comment that her marshmallow fondant is both tasty and thrifty.  There was just something so darling about that.

2) Mary's admitting to Tamal that she'd practiced "rude things" to say about his cake being a pudding and not a cake, and then being forced to improvise because it was so good.

• Love 17

My small heart grew three sizes when I saw how excited Naadiya's little boys were. (the older one with the glasses! What a darling!) What adorable kids she has. She was my favorite from the beginning, so glad she won! Just a lovely person. Sweet and self effacing but absolutely focused. Loved her new confidence in herself. 

• Love 9

Ian was my favorite all along but I also loved Tamal and Nadiya so I wouldn't have been disappointed by any of them winning.  I'd like to know the history of Ian's house.  It looks like it was built in another age and his kitchen looks like something out of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Nadiya most definitely deserved her win.  Tamal's Showstopper was impressive but his other two offerings were problematic.  Ian's Showstopper may have tasted great but it was boring.  

I greatly enjoyed seeing the families, especially Nadiya's very excited kids and her cute and proud and supportive husband.  By the time she finished talking about how she'll never be afraid to do anything again, I was in tears just like, apparently, everyone else.  

I wish them all nothing but the best.  And that includes Paul and Mat and Flora and..........................  The next season can't air too soon.

• Love 12

I always love the finale of this show. It is soooooo heartwarming. The competition itself is tense, even without any manufactured drama, I'm on the edge of my seat, clutching my pearls, holding my breath. I was so happy that everyone rocked their showstopper because, even if two of them couldn't win, at least they were all able to present something win worthy in the end.

But the lawn party, I just love the lawn party. Everyone is together, they look like they are having such a lovely time. It's like a giant family reunion. Such a different feel than any other competition reality. Sure, they all bring family in and returning contestants, but this one feels more like a family get together than any other and I love it.

Yes, I cried through most of this ep, mostly out of joy.

I can't wait for the next season.

PS: I never noticed before that the production company is called "LOVE" how fitting is that? This show is made of milk, eggs and love.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, stillshimpy said:

The whole thing was like the Great British Catharsis

OMG that is perfect. I had such a shitty week this week that sitting back and watching this joy of a show and just crying my eyes out felt so good. This is my feel good show by far and reaffirms my faith in humanity (which I needed after the week I had).

Usually at this point I have a favorite but damned if I wasn't rooting for all three of them equally. I figured, when one of them one I would end up disappointed for the others, but they take it so well, and are so supportive of the winner that I am just happy for all of them for having had this wonderful experience.

I forgot to add, watching that one big tear rolling down Ian's cheek just crushed me. It was so earnest and he seems a fairly reserved man that I think that moment was just a true outpouring of quiet emotion.

• Love 15

How much I love this show:  I had a procedure done on my knee yesterday to "tweak" a total knee replacement 8 weeks ago.  My physical therapist told me yesterday after the procedure that I needed to focus on 10 minutes of stretching and strengthening every hour until he sees me again on Monday.

So I built a tracking table on Word, specifying the time and what I did each hour on the hour.  At 8:00 pm, my entry says:  "Activity - Crocheting; Notes - the finale of my favorite TV show was on, and I chose to watch that instead of exercising."

I hope he's not too angry, but I don't much care if he is.  NOTHING gets between me and that show.

I echo what stillshimpy said; you folks have been a delight to share this season with.  See you next time!

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'd like to know the history of Ian's house.  It looks like it was built in another age and his kitchen looks like something out of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

His village of 400 people is apparently the Shire.  That's my only explanation.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, starri said:

Two other moments that I adored:  

Two for me:

1. Paul stopping by Nadiya's cake preparations, pointedly asking "Happy, Nadiya?" And she murmurs a Yes, keeps doing what she's doing for a moment, then slings back a perfectly timed "Happy, Paul?"

2. Nadiya's realization (accurate, as it happens) that the Technical had been devised specifically to target the final three's proven weakness with puff pastry. And seeing it spread to the others. And the lovely thing is that, tense as it is for them mid-challenge, they all saw the humor of it too, quietly cracking up as they realized that someone had put thought into the best way to kick their butts.

• Love 22
45 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

1. Paul stopping by Nadiya's cake preparations, pointedly asking "Happy, Nadiya?" And she murmurs a Yes, keeps doing what she's doing for a moment, then slings back a perfectly timed "Happy, Paul?"

And Paul totally cracking up at it because he did NOT expect her to say that. I loved that moment.

• Love 11

Love the Ian interview -- thank you, Sandyskyblue!  What a wonderful man.  I am just so sorry he heard a great deal of negative press -- that's ridiculous.  Only the roadkill comment was momentarily off-putting to me and I still thought it was quirky Ian, not creepy Ian.  I think he's delightful and hope that this turns into some kind of additional profits so he can heat his home in the winter and fix the Aga!  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, sandyskyblue said:

Well, that was fun and quite amusing too.  It does turn out that he's been in areas of the world where deprivation and need are pretty constant, which does help explain the "couldn't let it go to waste" of the hare.  His proposed TV series sounds interesting too and perfectly suited to his personality.  

I'm sorry  that he had any backlash or name-calling though.  He's a nice, if slightly odd (as many of the best people are), man.  You know how it is though, when approaching the internet it's best to clutch a throw pillow stitched with the advice: Never Read the Comments.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 17

All three finalists will be on the TV in the coming months. Nadiya will have her travel special and she's judging the junior version of this show. Tamal is going to be involved with a show to help viewers be healthier and avoid illness.

• Love 9

The last WaPo recap:

finale recap

It really was a charming, emotional finale, with such wonderful interaction among the bakers; their families' stories; and Mary's tear at the end. I didn't care who won, as long as everyone did a great job.  I'll miss this show so much!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

Well, that was fun and quite amusing too.  It does turn out that he's been in areas of the world where deprivation and need are pretty constant, which does help explain the "couldn't let it go to waste" of the hare.  His proposed TV series sounds interesting too and perfectly suited to his personality.  

I'm sorry  that he had any backlash or name-calling though.  He's a nice, if slightly odd (as many of the best people are), man.  You know how it is though, when approaching the internet it's best to clutch a throw pillow stitched with the advice: Never Read the Comments.  

What an interesting life he's lead thus far!  And, I agree, as someone who's done volunteer work in developing nations, I can see how Ian would be thinking 'waste not, want not'.  The sheer amount of 'stuff' we all have here in the developed world is brought into focus when you visit a place where even the simple things are hard to come by.  As soon as I read about his experiences in Sudan and Malawi, I understood exactly where he was coming from with the roadkill pie.  Every time I return from a trip, I walk into my house and wonder how in the he** I've accumulated so much crapola and start packing boxes to give away.

I hope he gets a show, his idea sounds brilliant and unique.

• Love 4

Nadiya's win, and actually her whole journey really moved me. Her husband saying that this was the first time she'd done anything for herself spoke volumes. Her early missteps growing into real confidence with each success was plainly visible in how much better her bakes became. She truly let herself shine, and her comments at the end about never placing limits on herself again or saying she can't do something were further proof of her amazing growth. What a joy (and privilege) to witness that.

I felt bad for Tamal, who always tried so hard and had such lovely ideas, but never had quite enough time (or maybe enough confidence... or perhaps just plain energy, given his astounding real-life commitments). His final showstopper really fit the name and revealed his true capability. He's a lovely, lovely person, and given just slightly different circumstances, he could have easily won it all.

I felt for Ian, too, who began so brilliantly and never quite got back to his early level of success. He was very inventive and took risks throughout; sometimes they paid off and sometimes they didn't, but he continued to follow his own vision. After reading that article (linked above), it seems the inventiveness and risk taking are inherent to him, as is going his own way. Good for him. He has a lovely family and a life that works for him. (How impressive, being the official photographer for the Dalai Lama!) He obviously has lots of creative vision.

I loved seeing the other contestants return (no Alvin?); the garden party does feel like a big family reunion. I agree that this was probably the best season yet, and I wish all of them great success going forward.

Edited by justmehere
Correct my spelling of Nadiya's name
  • Love 13

OK, I guess I am going to be just a bit critical here, but was anyone else slightly put off by Nadya's speech at the end?  The way she said that she wouldn't let herself be put down anymore.  I truly thought lovely speech but, at the same time, wondered who had kicked her down so much.  It was just a bit scary.  However, I  don't think she will ever be the same and good for her!

I am glad she won, but like many others, liked all of them and thought it was a great final!

I was rooting for Nadia, but would have been happy as well if Ian or Tamal had won. I wanted to eat Nadiya's cake - all that lemon would be heaven.

I teared up more than I would ever have imagined, and not just for Nadiya. I've always loved the family interviews, but for some reason these choked me up (or made me laugh) more than the other season finales. Nadiya's daughter, reciting the different types of cake she likes, was my favorite family moment. Something about her list just cracked me up.

As @stillshimpy said, this show has been a balm for these troubled days.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've always loved the family interviews, but for some reason these choked me up (or made me laugh) more than the other season finales. Nadiya's daughter, reciting the different types of cake she likes, was my favorite family moment. Something about her list just cracked me up.

What I loved about that  moment was that her older brother was laughing at her, but was politely hiding his face inside his shirt to conceal it. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Can someone explain the controversy about the Queen's birthday cake?

The photographs of the cake in this article show the cake was tilted and there were issues with the stripes on the middle tier.  But Nadiya is an amateur baker, not a professional.  And personally, I prefer flavor and texture over aesthetics.

• Love 5

I love this show. Its so awesome. Loved Nadiya winning although I would have been happy with any of the three I liked them so much. The tears from everyone made me cry too. I loved Nadiya's daughter's answer to her favorite cake. She was just adorable. Ian's kids were so cute too. I loved how happy everyone was for Nadiya. The only downsides is there is no episode next week. Its such a good show. Everyone is really wonderful.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

Dudes, we need this tent in our lives.  I want to go live in the Narnia Tent and pull the entire world in after us, because hot damn, the gentle kindness, tolerance and honoring differences in background and experience is a healing balm.  I will miss this show so much and this has been the best cast they've ever had, I truly believe that.

I was able to be thrilled (sobs of joy kind of thrilled) when Nadiya won and even better?  I would have felt exactly the same way had Ian or Tamal won.  There was no way to end up anything other than happy.  

Boy, that did my heart, my soul, my mind and my sleep a world of good.   

I enjoyed the final too, and watched it a second time with my son, who had never seen any of the season, and he totally fell in love with Nadiya after the iced buns bake.  She is charming and funny for sure. 

Thanks for posting the article about Ian as well, SandySkyBlue, I loved it, and him.  When the show put up that picture of him pretending to cook his children, I laughed so hard.  And my other favorite thing was when he said that he entered the show because his wife wanted to go to the garden party! 

I'll miss coming here to read everyone's thoughts, but especially yours, Stillshimpy.  Such a way with words. Narnia Tent is now how I will see the tent from now on.  See you on some of the other forums of shows we have in common. 

Edited by cardigirl
Because i should know better than to try to compose this stuff on my iPad.
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, forumfish said:

I teared up when Nadia said (not quoting, just paraphrasing) she won't limit herself, or be afraid to try new things. Such a lovely lesson for everyone. And I will never tire of hearing British accents from little children -- Ian's and Nadiya's kids were adorable.

That was very inspirational to me! And it was clearly a new discovery for her about herself, something I so very rarely see on shows like this.

(I love children's British accents, too! Especially when they are just being kids. On my first trip to the UK 4 years ago, my mom and I were in Orkney, Scotland. At one point, we had just seen the huge stone circle called the Ring of Brodgar and were walking down the path back to the parking lot, when I saw a small family walking towards me up the path. The little boy, probably about 9 years old, was walking in front, looking a bit peeved, and then a few feet from me, he stopped, turned back to his mum, and said, "Fine! We've seen it! NOW can we go?!?" I managed to suppress the grin on my face until I passed them and then I just cracked up. Such a kid-like reaction to a family vacation, but with such a different accent than I am used to!)

• Love 3

My first post in any internet forum ever but I've read every comment here about this show. I was nervous all season that one of the original viewers would have made a late post (before US airing) to one of the episode threads that revealed the winner. Not that it would have stopped me from watching the show but it was fun to have no idea who would win since any of the three of them could have taken it on a good day. I was glad it was Nadiya in the end.  Heh, I just remembered telling a friend who likes to bake about the bread episode. She wanted to look up some pictures of the bread sculptures and I annoyingly told her about 10 times in 5 minutes "just make sure you don't tell me who wins if you find out". She was not amused.

I had to laugh when Mrs. Ian said he applied for the show because she wanted to go to the garden party but had no idea what it would turn into (cue video of their kitchen looking like a disaster). I "knew" Ian for 2 hours of tv time and could tell he was exactly the sort who gets obsessively into whatever is currently his thing so I bet Mrs. Ian had an idea what she was in for. Imagine what life must be like with Ian as your husband! Super fascinating but I guess it takes some patience too. Sure, honey, go ahead and turn our office into a metal working shop. No big deal, I'll just work in the kids bedroom. Oh, you want start cultivating fungus in the basement, sounds great!

I will miss this show. I don't cook at all but I love how much they actually talk about the process compared to US food reality tv.

• Love 14

I adored every second of this show. I was rooting for Tamal but all of them were lovely so I really wanted them all to win, lol.  

I saw season 1 (which I think is really season 3?) on Netflix and have seen this past season. I plan to watch season 2 (which I think is season 5?) on PBS online.  I'm trying to find all the seasons I can to watch since this show is my new happy place and the number of seasons is confusing for me.  Is it that there were 6 seasons but only 3 were shown in the US so PBS renumbered them?

On a side note, for anyone who enjoyed the illustrations as much as I did there's an adult coloring book coming out - https://smile.amazon.com/Great-British-Bake-Colouring-Book/dp/1473615623/ref=sr_1_10?

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Her dad jumping up and down did me in.

I was holding together until this too. Just sheer joy.

On 10/9/2015 at 7:19 AM, BusyOctober said:

Has anyone of you Baker enthusiasts tried making fondant this way?

I've made Marshmallow fondant a couple of times. I'd rather do that than buying a bucket of whatever in stores. I don't make many fondant cakes but I find it pretty easy to work with. Great thing about it is that if it gets hard, you just microwave it to soften it up. It's pretty easy to color too but it makes a lovely white by itself. I also like the flavor is vanilla (or you can flavor it, lemon is nice) rather than almond which I think is classic fondant.

Overall this finale was great. I loved all of them and wouldve been happy with any of them winning. Was pretty obvious after the first day that it was Nadiya's to loose.  Ian forgetting to put sugar in his cream bun... poor dear. That's nerves for ya.

I'm excited to make Tamal's sticky toffee cake this winter (or before). BBC Food has the recipe.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, windsprints said:

II saw season 1 (which I think is really season 3?) on Netflix and have seen this past season. I plan to watch season 2 (which I think is season 5?) on PBS online.

Not really, on the season numbers. But if they tried with both hands (Through the Looking-Glass reference) to make it as confusing as possible, they could hardly have done better than this. Not that I'm blaming them, because there's a crazy kind of logic:

PBS Season 1 = UK Season 5 (this is the one they started with on PBS, hence #1)

PBS Season 2 = UK Season 4 (to tide us over till a new one was ready, they went back and aired the previous season)

PBS Season 3 = UK Season 6 (then, when they could air the new season, they went ahead in numerical order)

• Love 4

Ok what is an iced bun? I assumed it was a donut that was sliced instead of filled, until I realized it wasn't fried. It is just a sweet bread? Why is this not a thing in the US? Seems like something we'd eat :)

• Love 1

I'm so excited.  The pbs gods smiled on me and a gbbs marathon is on today.  I live in Vegas and it's roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun outside.  My coffee is iced and I'm good to go.

• Love 11

I really enjoyed this finale.  I was spoiled to the ending but I still really enjoyed watching it.  I liked all the competitors and I'm glad they all went out on a high note.  Tamal's showstopper decorations were not my style, but the spider web in the middle was impressive and the cake sounds great.  I'm not a fan of fruit in carrot cake but I'm glad Ian did well.  I love a good lemon cake.  Someone upthread described Nadiya as plucky, and that is just the perfect word.

There was no one I couldn't stand this season.  So often on American competition shows it feels like someone was brought on to compete not based on merit but based on their ability to incite conflict.  This is so, so much better.  And I love that they have to use conventional kitchen equipment, like the one little oven.  I smiled when Nadiya and Tamal were running back and forth to the little microwave in the corner.

18 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

While I probably shouldn't have been, I was a little startled to hear that Nadiya's was an arranged marriage.  Her husband certainly seems to adore her!

I didn't hear that bit.  I have absolutely no personal or cultural background with arranged marriage, so this is just a comment, not an authoritative statement or judgement.  I once had a professor and some other students describe their arranged marriages to me over lunch (and I have no idea how the conversation ended up there). There was no long dating period, but they were introduced to a couple potential partners, in at least one case by a professional matchmaker hired by the family, and given a little time to get to know each other.  If they didn't like each other, they were introduced to someone else.  I was left with the impression that arranged marriage can mean anything from a couple meeting on their wedding day to a couple meeting on a supervised blind date.

• Love 3

I was spoiled long ago because of Nadiya making the queen's birthday cake, but that didn't make watching this series any less enjoyable and suspenseful.

I just LOVED how supportive the three finalists were of each other. That group hug after the showstopper bake was over? The group hug before the winner was announced? All the feels.

Everything about this season was just so lovely. The families, the camaraderie. All of it. 

I think my favorite thing about Nadiya was her headscarf was never remarked upon. If she'd been in an American version, it would have defined her to the exclusion of everything else. Here it was no big deal.

Tamal killed me with his teasing of Nadiya: "Now she'll never shut up." Hee. I really want to be at the dinner table when he visits her family.

I can't say enough good things about this season.

• Love 17

While I probably shouldn't have been, I was a little startled to hear that Nadiya's was an arranged marriage.  Her husband certainly seems to adore her!

Of course, Nadiya and her husband no doubt were raised in an environment where arranged marriages are the cultural norm and it would've been difficult for either of them to consider any other sort of courtship.  I couldn't do it myself, but I've got several friends who're in arranged marriages and they seem to run the same gamut as anyone else.  Some seem to barely tolerate one another, others seem to be deeply in love.  I asked one good friend who has always spoken so well of his wife and family about it.  He was constantly bragging about what a wonderful cook his wife was, how she'd taken a class and excelled, what a great time they had on vacation, passing around photos of them and the kids having fun together, etc.  He told me that, in his culture, divorce is not an option and arranged marriage is the norm. 'So, knowing we're going to be married for the rest of our lives, why wouldn't we want to be happy?  I made up my mind to fall in love with her and I did, and asked her to do the same with me and she did- though her part was harder.  Everyone has something lovable about them; I concentrated on all the great things about her and let the other stuff go.  It worked.'. It made me cry then and I'd like to think that his method works in many arranged marriages (and many non-arranged ones as well).

ETA, Mindy Kaling, in one of her books discusses her parents' arranged marriage and how happy they were and how well they worked as a team and came to the same sort of conclusion.  Her mom, unfortunately, died of cancer a couple years back.

I could see Nadiya and her husband embracing a similar philosophy.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9