Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/05/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

It's not his calm demeanor that I dislike. It's all of the positions on crucial issues that I dislike intensely. I wish that he would take the immense amount of talent that he has in neurosurgery and teach that to others, but please stay out of politics.

That said, you are brave to post that you like Ted Cruz and Ben Carson on this board, since it's full of liberals.:) You certainly have a right to your opinion!

Ha! That's okay, I enjoy reading this board full of liberals. You all boggle my brain but you are easier to tolerate than watching these view women. I can't stand any of them but I love Candace Bure and Paula, which I am sure you have guessed.

Edited by My2Cents
  • Love 7

There's something very odd about Dr. Carson that I can't put my finger on. He's almost robotic or something.

He made a very telling comment on The View today.... He was asked if he ever yells.... he said yes and there was a time he came to the realization that hitting someone in the face is not a sign of strength but a sign of weakness.

So maybe that is what it is... he seems to internalizing everything and it comes across as fake

• Love 1

I gotta say.... I respect your opinion.. I disagree with it completely but I respect it.... thanks for sharing your views

Donald Trump is a joke. He is like a grade school bully. Hillary Clinton is a criminal.

It may be a personal problem but honestly I cant let misinformation go unchallenged.

Hillary Clinton is not a criminal.... and there is nothing illegal that she has done...If there were true crimes the Right would have released them long ago.

If you have other information Im sure we would all welcome it.

• Love 20

Believe it or not, Dr. Carson is an admitted former left wing Democrat. His many surgeries and his growing faith in the Lord changed him into a completely different man. :-)

And that's apparently what screwed up his logistical thinking.

I love Dr. Carson. I think he has exceptional problem solving skills. He refused to separate these twins but then problem solved it himself, being the pioneer for twins being separated at the head and brain. If Dr. Carson can figure THAT out, then with advisors and his love of problem solving and learning, no problem would be too large for him. He would be a great POTUS.

I must respectfully disagree here. You can admire him all day long for his surgical and problem-solving skills but being a great surgeon does not qualify him to be a great POTUS. The good doctor Carson's ego is in play here, and his enlightened sense of religiosity has completely skewed his sensibilities, allowing that ego to spill over into areas in which he falsely believes he qualifies. Listen to what he says instead of how he looks when he's talking or standing. It is plain as day that he's not playing with a full deck.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 22

Believe it or not, Dr. Carson is an admitted former left wing Democrat. His many surgeries and his growing faith in the Lord changed him into a completely different man. :-)

I have no problem with that. We all evolve, hopefully, and can change our opinions. Either way on this particular issue or others. Either party or independent can.

But I wish he would state, like you did, how this changed him and why. Much more effective than ignoring it and seeming inconsistent.

It took him nearly a week to explain his stance on not supporting a Muslim for POTUS until he arrived at something like - well, not if they were a Sharia supporting Muslim. Realistically if one did they would not win in any event. Not well thought out in Dr Carson's case, imo. Like continuing to say Hitler could happen here....

• Love 2

Hello, Viewers. I am glad that that the discourse has been civil and very polite so far, but as a reminder, political talk is considered off-topic on these forums. You can mention it lightly in the context of this show, but this is not a place for significant current affairs, political, or election talk. Thank you.

• Love 3

It's not his calm demeanor that I dislike. It's all of the positions on crucial issues that I dislike intensely. I wish that he would take the immense amount of talent that he has in neurosurgery and teach that to others, but please stay out of politics.

That said, you are brave to post that you like Ted Cruz and Ben Carson on this board, since it's full of liberals.:) You certainly have a right to your opinion!

I agree.  He has an eerie creep factor but still that even pales to his platform.  

• Love 3

I wanted to punch whoever the hell that was in the audience that screamed and clapped everytime Dr. Carson talked. Joy wanted to do the same thing.

I didn't understand who was making that noise and why.........

I love your post and Whoopi is so awful. She is such a downer and saps other people's joy. I like the fact that Paula is not afraid to voice her opinion and counter the movie stah...I need Whoppie to be gone like yesterday, she is so insufferable right now...

Wow, I was like Whoopi needs to calm down. It's Paula's opinion on an extremely lighthearted subject. That's what makes these shows interesting - different opinions. This is why I maintain that Whoopi as moderator is the MAIN problem with The View and it has been for years.

• Love 12

What weird show Tuesday .  Are the Kardashians "America's first family"?  No, of course not.   But how about the real reason Cosmo put them on the cover - and the same with putting Ronda Rousey  on the cover of "Mens Fitness"  magazine.  IT's done in order to get the magazine attention.   People aren't buying as many magazines, so the covers have to be somewhat outrageous in order for talk shows to show them, and thereby get some notice.   I never noticed the Cosmo cover.  I walk right by the magazine rack at the grocery store.  Faces of celebs? I'm over it.   (Now once in a while, my eye does catch a beautiful looking dessert, and I wonder if I could make it, but that's another story)

When Raven said that the Osbornes  are the "real"  first family - I guess she meant the real first family to have a reality TV show, which isn't even true.   BUT -  I suddenly had the thought that Raven and Kelly Osborne  might have the same hairdresser and makeup artist.

I have no idea WHY they wanted to discuss Billy Joel singing Piano Man.   He said he likes to, his fans want it, why is this a discussion?   Or was it just a way or Raven to tell us (I never knew)  that Raven had an album once?  Maybe she's trying to make a comeback with a singing career, and this will be an ongoing topic.

Who the HELL was the woman or women screaming every time Ben Carson said anything?  

• Love 4

I probably missed this somewhere but is CCB no longer on The View? I am watching today for the first time in awhile and noticed that she is not listed in the opening . . . again, sorry if this has already been talked about.

I kind of agree with Whoopi about the Kardashians having staying power because of how long they've been on the air. But I don't think it's "talent" more than E! (or whichever network) that has allowed the show free reign.

• Love 4

The real question is - Did Whoopie say, "Thanks, Babe" to John Kasick, like she did to Rick Santorum? I liked Kasick when he was in Congress. He was pretty down to earth and was effective as the Chairman of the House Budget Committee.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 2

Michelle's habit of jumping all over every comment is so annoying.  Is it really so difficult to let a person finish their sentence/thought (even if it's gibberish) before the next one speaks?  The last few shows have just danced on my last nerve.  STFU!!!

• Love 8

John Kasich was just on The View...... he might have had 5 minutes..... it was just a waste of time

They had to leave time for the SVU cast so Whoopi could plug her appearance on that show.

I would have liked to hear more of what Kasich had to say.  He was making some interesting points when the View crew allowed him to speak.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5

I'm not really a fan of Jay Leno, but he worked well with Joy. I'm always surprised when I hear Joy's age. I would guess she was in her 60's.  It was more of a fluff show today for her birthday, which seemed like a bad fit for the Kasick interview. I don't know what Paula was wearing today, really odd, but she has good hair.

Kasicks's probably the only candidate they've had on that didn't creep me out, but I'm not sure I could picture him winning anything. Whoopi dominated the time he was there.

• Love 5

I have no idea why the heck Joy keeps stating that PP provides mammograms but I wish she'd stop.

PP most definitely does provide abortion services at some of their clinics, I know in my metro area there a about six clinics but only one of them offers in-clinic abortion services.

The approximate amount of reimbursement for services (not line appropriations or "funding) that PP receives from the federal government is 500m, not multiple billions. 

I have a really hard time staying in tune when Dr. Ben Carson speaks, I find him hard to follow, I think it's because I just can't believe what the hell is coming out of his mouth, but he sounds so friendly and soft spoken.

Yes, I meant to say millions not billions!  I corrected it.  Billions is ridiculous!  

I find many parts of this show so frustrating Luckily my BP is on the low side. Today listening to Kasick agin list the myriad problems facing the country was no exception

It happens all the time going on and on about what needs to happen but rarely Is the white elephant of special interests and Lobbyists controlling government and the. Accompanying unbridled greed addressed

He touched on it and that was good to hear. A different kind off republican was the most encouraging thing he said

He's talking about families and communities breaking down but the vanishing middle class means people are working two or three crappy jobs width no benefits no comfort and contentment (TM jay Leno -how nice for you) and it's tough to build a decent human being if you're not able to be there have no access to decent and healthy food, safe streets and schools it's a no brainier

What the phrase mentally ill keeps forgetting and not addressing is the impact of prescription drugs being prescribed in obscene amounts to KIDS to manage behavioural issues resulting in all kinds of psychotic breaks

ITs the unmentioned factor in this issue that NOBODY will mention. Guns are the tool the drugs the fuel. It's truly distressing He mentions root cause. How far back is anyone prepared to go to stop just bandaging this

So sick of a show called The View taking so much time promoting Whoopi's other projects unless it facilitates her quicker departure I'll suck it up

• Love 10

I probably missed this somewhere but is CCB no longer on The View? I am watching today for the first time in awhile and noticed that she is not listed in the opening . . . again, sorry if this has already been talked about.

It seems as though they are adjusting the opening credits to reflect which hosts are appearing on any given day.  CCB does appear in the credits on the day(s) she's on stage.

I enjoyed Whoopi's mention of the Loud family from California, whose docudrama An American Family was really a ground-breaking experiment in the '70's.  I was fascinated by this show when it first aired and, in fact, still have the tapes I made of every episode that I occasionally go back and re-visit.  This was real reality TV - unscripted and simply a video diary of the family's life experiences.  A bit of trivia for those who remember the Louds:  Grant Loud is currently the Director of Promotions for Jeopardy! and his wife, Michele Silverman Loud, is one of Jeopardy!'s writers.

Happy Birthday, Joy!  Being a fellow Libra may just be the reason I feel in synch with her more so than the others...balance in all things.  Hope I look as good when I reach her age!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 10
One positive thing about the Washington Redskins name is how the team focuses on Native American issues. They donate millions of dollars a year to Native charities and issues..... I doubt teams with other nicknames do the same thing.

Actually, the Chicago Blackhawks -- named after the Blackhawk Army Division -- strongly support the American Indian Center of Chicago, both financially and in telling the story of Chicago's Native American population. The AIC is my neighbor and the president has said that the Hawks' sensitivity to N.A. issues and the fact that the logo is not a caricature are big reasons for the successful partnership.

'Nother subject -- I was appalled at Whoopi screaming and talking over Paula about whether or not Billy Joel should sing oldies. First, incredibly rude. Second, a ridiculous subject to get her panties in a knot over. IMO, it all boils down to Whoopi's incredible need not to be contradicted. In her mind, she is the final word on every subject, and no young whippersnapper is gonna tell her she's wrong, dammit!  She's the mommy, that's why!  It told me that she is still the same bully she's been since BaWa left the show, but she's been better at tamping it down since TPTB talked to her about it. But it's still there. Everyone should have her opinion, heretics must be silenced, and don't write her or tweet her, because she still doesn't care about anyone else's opinions.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 12

"Ben Carson ... said it was the biggest killer of black PEOPLE (can men have abortions?)" (sorry my quote brain is messed up)

I think Dr. Carson was referring to the aborted babies - black male babies. Black female babies. I would think that a surgeon who performed operations on prenatal babies WOULD have a different view on life in the womb. I don't mean to be incendiary in using "baby." I am pro-abortion, up until x weeks. I wonder how hard it is for those who do BELIEVE that "life begins at conception" to put aside personal and/or religious views to govern under the laws of the country. I am drawn to Dr. Carson, but I wonder if he is "too honest" or "too transparent" to be our President. One HAS to put aside one's personal beliefs AT TIMES and GOVERN.

He comes across as robotic, or four hours into a ten hour surgery, I agree. I THINK what he was trying to convey re: the gun thing is ... If you believe that you have a right to own a gun and defend yourself, you have to be willing to accept that accidents and misuse WILL happen. Like the GROSS "misuse" of guns to massacre innocents. BUT, you DO NOT then say, "No one can own guns, because Little Susie was accidently shot by her brother." or "because 20,000 people are shot each year." As a doctor, or say, coroner, you look death in the face, and OF COURSE acknowledge the horror of it, the tragedy, the overwhelming sadness. BUT you don't NECESSARILY change your BELIEF that gun ownership (sadly) trumps Susie's life. Harsh, but - do you stop driving cars if someone is run over? It is more of an abstract thing.  He does not know HOW to put his views across without sounding unfeeling. It doesn't mean you do not cry for Susie. That you don't bring her killer to justice. That you don't impose gun control. That you don't educate people, and do MORE to help the mentally ill, and the criminals, and the angry people who post shit, and whose MOTHER has SOME culpability in raising a boy who wants thirteen weapons. And whose FATHER had no idea. Or did he? Lots of questions BESIDES how/where/who got the guns. Apparently, guns are everywhere. He amassed them over time. Cold-blooded murder. I hate to sound Bitsy, but Where Were the Parents? And, btw, I think the idea of guns being treated more like a car - regular "check-ups" so to speak makes tons of sense. Gun control doesn't have to mean you can't go shoot Bambi (legally). Or defend against the folks (dang fereigners) who will start calling in the National Debt (a silly militia argument). It means little Johnnie doesn't get every awesome gun he ever wanted. And he keeps them locked up when not at the target range. Bullets locked separately. LOTS of training.

Anyway, I WANT to like Dr. Carson, but he is extreme in some ways (not good for our country) and he needs to iron out his views and reconcile them with running a country with many different views. In some ways, Hillary is good at governing more from the middle, or a place where most "reasonable" people can start from.

I identify as Purple (fiscally more conservative (but with a heart) - socially very liberal)

And I still hate this show. Love you guys!! I record, read here, then Delete - "Let it Go."

• Love 5

Just now watching and it was GREAT that Whoopi thought she was going to be hugged by Leno when he came out and she just stood there trying to get his attention and he kept it on Joy.

Joy's and my BD are just days apart.  I love that she thought her Audi was a Japanese car and Leno razing her description of a car purchase as a red convertible, because that just how I described my only really loved car (Mustang)  when I was excited about the purchase. She's a woman after my own heart.

• Love 5

Addressing the question how do those who believe life begins at conception govern those who do not believe that.

I think Joe Biden said it best.
“I’m prepared to accept that at the moment of conception there’s human life and being,” Biden said, during an interview with Father Matt Malone, S.J. of “America Media.”  Biden, however, said that he would not “impose” that view on “non-­God­-fearing people that have a different view.”

At one point, Biden also acknowledged that “abortion is always wrong,” but again, he doesn’t want to “impose doctrine” on other people.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/22/biden-life-begins-at-conception-video/

• Love 7

I found it interesting that Mariska kept repeating how funny and wonderful Whoopi was on the SVU set. It reminded me of a cousin of mine who keeps repeating a compliment to someone because she doesn't want to say anything critical. I'm not knocking Whoopi but it was like Mariska couldn't think of any more adjectives.

• Love 4

I wonder what Mariska Hargitay views on the gun discussion was... since she didnt want to discuss it... and has played a cop for all these years....I imagine that she is against gun control..... I liked how Joy handled it...... Oh I guess you would just get too angry.

Now I do not know her stance.... Im just making assumptions based on her reaction.

• Love 2

It is so sick and disingenuous the way Kasich and the entire GOP field blames mass shootings on mental illness when the truth is . . . 

"Severe mental illness accounts for something like five percent of the violence we see in America, and we don't have a particularly higher rate of severe mental illness than many other places that have much lower gun homicide rates than we do."

We have a gun culture in our country promoted by the gun manufacturers. They support the NRA and candidates who will help them increase their profits. Like Joy says, "Who needs an AK 47?" Who needs any kind of assault weapon? Who needs an arsenal? Why not background checks and a waiting period? 

• Love 10

I saw an interesting essay the other day suggesting obtaining a gun should follow the same guidelines as obtaining an abortion including but not limited to parental consent, mandatory 48 hour waiting period, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, having to watch a video on the effects of gun violence, and a pelvic ultrasound of some sort

Then close down most gun shops and make him travel hundreds of miles , overnight somewhere far from home and then on the way into said shop navigate a gauntlet of screaming people holding posters showing the results of gun violence calling him a murderer begging him to reconsider

It was then asked if this made more sense with young men and guns than young women and health care. Seemed like it to me

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 21

Incidentally, Indianapolis has an alarming amount of gun violence despite everyone arming to the teeth for protection. There are probably 2, 3, or more shootings every day.

I saw this and did a quick Google check for Indy news and found that the IndyStar.com has a homicide map(!!!) on their website listing all 114 (!!!) murders in Marion County so far this year.  91 were firearms.  Very, very sad to see so many lost lives. :(  www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2013/10/28/interactive-marion-county-homicide-map/3289645/

And to get back on topic, I turned the show on today in time to see Jay Leno and Joy's birthday cake.  Then once they all sat down, all I could focus on was that there were only 5 mugs on the table, and Jay was drinking from one of them.  Hopefully he's not a germaphobe, or if he is, hopefully whose ever mug it was, hadn't drank from it yet.

Just now watching and it was GREAT that Whoopi thought she was going to be hugged by Leno when he came out and she just stood there trying to get his attention and he kept it on Joy.

That was too funny!  He ignored her deliberately (or not) at least 3x, the last time she held out her arm(s) and said hello like now we can hug and he still ignored her and walked to the table!  Ice T began the Whoopi worship with how everyone clapped after they shot her courtroom scene and I had to FF and couldn't listen to anymore. Michelle is so unnecessary on the show, I can never hear her jokes anyway due to her poor timing or something, she is talked over all the time and still tries to get a zinger in there?  Um no.  I also want to take issue with the huge heavy dark line of eyeliner over her eyes making them look closed.  Joy looks amazing for 73!!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 4

I really wish from now until election that the View panel would hammer every single candidate about gun control.  The Dr. Carson stance was bat-shit crazy and it is lame to pawn it off as a purely mental health issue.   It is not.  They have a lot of eyes on them (for better or for worse) and it would be a massive contribution to the discussion.  

I read an article recently that made a strong point (paraphrasing)…..one guy caught with a shoe bomb, and now everyone on earth has to remove their shoes before boarding a plane;  7 people died from tampered-with Tylenol, and it was a national incident and all bottles immediately pulled from shelves and pharmaceutical security was re-invented;  roughly 32 thousand deaths by gun violence per year, and…….NOTHING.  

I think even perfectly "sane" people can be pushed to the breaking point and basically snap and lose all impulse control.  And if they have access to a gun, well…...

This is in Joy's wheelhouse.  She could really navigate that conversation in a light-shedding manner.  Yeah, we heard you Whoopi, you have guns and are prepared to use them.  Whatever.  

• Love 19

Ben Carson began his answer with ... micro and macro evolution... and Joy is intelligent enough to understand that it would take at least a half hour for his point to be made by explaining the difference between the 2 types of evolution.

She did not let him get far enough into his answer to know what he was going to say, let alone how long it would have taken him to say it.  It's supposed to be a talk show.  They never let their guests TALK.  But, I understand the hurry.  They were still in the hopes that they could squeeze in the plug for Raven's latest project.  So, priorities.

Edited by mamapajama
  • Love 5

This is in Joy's wheelhouse.  She could really navigate that conversation in a light-shedding manner.  Yeah, we heard you Whoopi, you have guns and are prepared to use them.  Whatever.  

I dont own guns.... in fact I have never shot a gun.... but I still have an opinion.

I dont think banning guns is the answer.... there are millions of people out there who own guns and should be allowed to. What needs to change is the easy access almost everyone has to guns.

The background system needs to be fixed.... there needs to be a system of reporting mental health issues..... as well as criminal activity.... those current systems are not set up well and makes background checks ineffective.

I also think all guns need to be registered.... this will help to find out who was the last person to legally own a gun if it is found being used by a criminal.

Track the people down who are selling guns illegally.

If this is going to be Joy's go to issue... she needs to get better informed and have ideas to present.

• Love 4

I dont own guns.... in fact I have never shot a gun.... but I still have an opinion.

I dont think banning guns is the answer.... there are millions of people out there who own guns and should be allowed to. What needs to change is the easy access almost everyone has to guns.

The background system needs to be fixed.... there needs to be a system of reporting mental health issues..... as well as criminal activity.... those current systems are not set up well and makes background checks ineffective.

I also think all guns need to be registered.... this will help to find out who was the last person to legally own a gun if it is found being used by a criminal.

Track the people down who are selling guns illegally.

If this is going to be Joy's go to issue... she needs to get better informed and have ideas to present.

In addition, require everyone who buys a gun to have insurance for that gun and what damage it might do. Let's tax ammunition up the ying yang too, making it very expensive and a tax resource for the government. Gun violence is very costly to our country in lives and resources spent. Let the people who want guns  and ammunition pay dearly for them. Maybe the Roseburg shooter wouldn't have had access to fourteen guns, some supplied by his gun loving mama, if these policies had been in place.

Marny, I just saw your post, yes, $5000.00 a bullet sounds reasonable, with $4,990 going to state and federal taxes!

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 6
I also want to take issue with the huge heavy dark line of eyeliner over her eyes making them look closed. 

I'd suggest that a LONG segment be devoted to a makeover for Michelle, FoghornLeghorn...but then others would require the same of Raven.  Since I love the wackiness of everything Raven wears (head to toe), I guess I'll have to deal with Michelle's eye makeup.  I wish someone would give Michelle a GREAT job away from The View where she can be happy, appreciated, and make good money

• Love 3

I've always liked the Chris Rock solution to gun control: don't bother regulating guns. Just make bullets cost $5000 apiece.

Yeah...that's pretty good.  But you just know there will be the really greedy nut cases out there that will then start a black market business for "refurbished" bullets, much like refilling printer ink cartridges.  The only hope is that they blow themselves to smithereens in the process.

• Love 2

Have mercy on me, Stacy is enough to drive a person to drink.   I am taking an antibiotic so can't indulge but crap she reminds me of one of those old time hawkers at a county fair.  Dial it BACK.  

Stacy is unwatchable, IMO.  I fast-forwarded the minute I saw her.  She's just awful in every way, and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to have her on this show in any capacity whatsoever.  No one in the history of this show (and I certainly have disliked several!) ever got on my nerves the way she does.

• Love 5