Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/05/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Michelle and Raven are idiots. Raven has internalized racial issues and Michelle doesn't know when to shut the hell up. Did Michelle really bring up Selena Gomez's health issues as another loss along with Justin Bieber's (allegedly big) penis being exposed? WTF!

• Love 6

Not happy to see Sherri this morning but AM happy she learned a new term: bum's rush.  Typical Sherri, she doesn't know the definition.  She used it (perhaps) three times today to indicate when someone ran somewhere...a bum's rush to the stage, etc.  Sherri, think about context: a bum's rush.  We're going to help some unwanted bum outta here fast.  Here's a formal definition:

forcible ejection, abrupt dismissal. For example, When Henry started shouting, the bouncer gave him the bum's rush, or Within hours of being fired, Sherri was given the bum's rush. This idiom uses bum in the sense of “a vagrant or tramp.” [early 1900s]  The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary.

I didn't know that Selena has lupus. I feel for her. Glad she caught  it early....I assume that matters. I don't know much about lupus except that it is autoimmune.

I don't think "catching it early" helps much...but getting a diagnosis at all isn't always easy.  She's lucky someone listened to her symptoms and did the right tests.

• Love 6

The Urban Dictionary gives this definition: The act of a bar bouncer, security guard, or some authority figure forcibly removing a person (the "bum") from a location by twisting said person's arm behind his back and pushing the forearm skyward while rapidly pushing (rushing) the body toward an exit.

• Love 6

The Urban Dictionary gives this definition: The act of a bar bouncer, security guard, or some authority figure forcibly removing a person (the "bum") from a location by twisting said person's arm behind his back and pushing the forearm skyward while rapidly pushing (rushing) the body toward an exit.

This is the definition I grew up with, hence the cognitive dissonance when I learned that Pope Francis was a bouncer in a club before he joined the religious life.

re Whoopi's distaste/disregard for women who remain in bad relationships because of low self-esteem: nine times out of ten the lack of self-regard stems from being abused to begin with. She's a dumb fuck.

• Love 11

Not happy to see Sherri this morning but AM happy she learned a new term: bum's rush.  Typical Sherri, she doesn't know the definition.  She used it (perhaps) three times today to indicate when someone ran somewhere...a bum's rush to the stage, etc.  Sherri, think about context: a bum's rush.  We're going to help some unwanted bum outta here fast.  Here's a formal definition:

forcible ejection, abrupt dismissal. For example, When Henry started shouting, the bouncer gave him the bum's rush, or Within hours of being fired, Sherri was given the bum's rush. This idiom uses bum in the sense of “a vagrant or tramp.” [early 1900s]  The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary.

I don't think "catching it early" helps much...but getting a diagnosis at all isn't always easy.  She's lucky someone listened to her symptoms and did the right tests.

I agree about lupus. Im just glad she didn't have to suffer alone undiagnosed for years bouncing from doctor to doctor begging for someone to take her symptoms seriously.

• Love 3

I did get a couple of WTF's with today's show - Sherry criticizing Trump for being over-familiar with the Latino woman - like she has never been over-familiar?

And SE Cupp saying Rubio is young and fresh.....I never knew those were traits in a POTUS to consider.

• Love 5

Michelle was offensive. Feel sorry for Selena Gomez because not only does she have lupus, but it turns out her ex-boyfriend has a big dick! What the he'll is wrong with her? Can she have a little compassion for a young woman diagnosed with a serious illness without making a vulgar JOKE? How many times on this show has the discussion about men go to comments about penis size, as though that is the #1 quality that women look for? If a group of men were discussing women, and kept cracking jokes about who has the biggest tits, these same women would be all outraged.

I wish they'd stop with all the swearing. I don't mind swearing, but when so many words are bleeped, I can't follow the discussion.

• Love 13

Michelle was offensive. Feel sorry for Selena Gomez because not only does she have lupus, but it turns out her ex-boyfriend has a big dick! What the he'll is wrong with her? Can she have a little compassion for a young woman diagnosed with a serious illness without making a vulgar JOKE? How many times on this show has the discussion about men go to comments about penis size, as though that is the #1 quality that women look for? If a group of men were discussing women, and kept cracking jokes about who has the biggest tits, these same women would be all outraged.

I wish they'd stop with all the swearing. I don't mind swearing, but when so many words are bleeped, I can't follow the discussion.

Even Joy and Sherri were taken aback when she said that, then thankfully, Joy redirected it. It was such an intensive and stupid remark. I was stunned. I still can't get over it. It was the oddest segue into a "joke". Selena has lupus and you can add her ex boyfriend having a big penis, that she no longer enjoys, to her list of things that suck for her. Michelle will steam roll over someone talking just to get a lame joke in that falls flat every time. What is her problem?

• Love 5

Frankly it is Beiber's loss that he is no longer with Selena. imo.

Beiber so wanted his weiner in the news or it would not have been there. ... imo.

Too bad they didn't snap him coming out of cold water. [/seinfeld/shrinkage] Ok Im crass. The Beibs needs to be taken down a notch imo and not touted for his junk size.

They keep saying that Michelle is the only Jew on the panel. Is Whoopi not Jewish? Not that I care either way.

FOrgive me, but who is Sippy Cupp? TIA

Frankly it is Beiber's loss that he is no longer with Selena. imo.

Beiber so wanted his weiner in the news or it would not have been there. ... imo.

Too bad they didn't snap him coming out of cold water. [/seinfeld/shrinkage] Ok Im crass. The Beibs needs to be taken down a notch imo and not touted for his junk size.

They keep saying that Michelle is the only Jew on the panel. Is Whoopi not Jewish? Not that I care either way.

FOrgive me, but who is Sippy Cupp? TIA

Whoopi does not identify as Jewish.  Goldberg is just a name she took when she changed to Whoopi.

Sippy Cup = S.E. Cupp  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._E._Cupp

• Love 3

And SE Cupp saying Rubio is young and fresh.....I never knew those were traits in a POTUS to consider.

Me neither. He's a Presidential candidate, not a deodorant (regular or feminine). I would call him a douche, but those can actually be useful, unlike him, IMO.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

Whoopi isn't Jewish. I recall reading somewhere that her mother suggested the name Goldberg because it sounds Jewish and Jewish people are successful in Hollywood, so she thought it would help her to be taken more seriously. I'll try to find the source.

Edited to add: I found it here, for one example, from Time magazine: http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2093588_2093587_2093597,00.html

Edited by marny
  • Love 3

I love that "other guy" with Cupp. I discovered Paul Begala on Bill Maher's show years ago and find him just delightful.  He became famous working with Bill Clinton's campaign - don't know his title.  He has actual experience and facts to back up what he says.  I always love a dry sense of humor...

So pleasant for a Friday and Joy maintains as good control as you're probably going to get on this show.  I was actually touched about Michelle's family that died in the Holocaust - she exhibited some depth for a change.  I'm of total German heritage but never had anyone affected by that atrocity, but it always hits me hard.

Emphasis added by me, and I couldn't agree more about Joy's moderating this show.   I don't know if she's that good or we are just used to the bottom of the barrel but she really does maintain some semblance of control. 

Also that was the most coherent political discussion I've heard on this show in at least six years; probably because they cleared the morons from the stage and had two people that have some idea of what they are talking with Joy asking the questions.  Joy, the only co-host who I believe has any idea what's going on.  I always enjoy seeing Paul Begala but he's been on here before where he couldn't really get a word in edgewise. 

• Love 10

I saw this and did a quick Google check for Indy news and found that the IndyStar.com has a homicide map(!!!) on their website listing all 114 (!!!) murders in Marion County so far this year.  91 were firearms.  Very, very sad to see so many lost lives. :(  www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2013/10/28/interactive-marion-county-homicide-map/3289645/

And to get back on topic, I turned the show on today in time to see Jay Leno and Joy's birthday cake.  Then once they all sat down, all I could focus on was that there were only 5 mugs on the table, and Jay was drinking from one of them.  Hopefully he's not a germaphobe, or if he is, hopefully whose ever mug it was, hadn't drank from it yet.

Wow, you guys are talking about Marion County. I live in Marion County. We have here a group called the Ten Point Coalition, many are black clergy, who walk the high murder neighborhoods every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights -- pretty much all night. I know one of them and I'm a facebook friend so I get the reports and photos -- not of the killing but the men (mostly men) walking and talking with neighborhood people. They do this as volunteers. And they have free recreation centers open in many of their churches (within the neighborhoods) where kids can come and shoot baskets, etc. Of course, they are not armed though they wear vests provided by LE. It is quite an impressive program. I'm sure the statistics would be much worse without them. This is a very NRA-infuenced urban area -- many guns. Scary. 

• Love 4
Also that was the most coherent political discussion I've heard on this show in at least six years; probably because they cleared the morons from the stage and had two people that have some idea of what they are talking with Joy asking the questions.

I remembered that format, and those people, from Joy's show on the network that got bought by Al Jazeera... brain cramp, can't remember the original name. It was pleasant, and reminded me of why I liked her show so much. It was for people who didn't take pride in acting stupid or crass, but who like generally elevated conversation.

Thank goodness Joy is back, because I wouldn't be if she weren't.  Her Friday moderating really shines a light on how poor a moderator Whoopi is, and do we really want constant, constant remarks about peeing oneself, vibrators, floppy boobs, farting, defense of any celebrity in trouble, or fingers shaken in everyone's face? Honestly, I came into this show admiring Whoopi, but have almost no respect for her now, due to the above-listed behavior.  

Seeing Joy conduct a discussion with people who are informed and treat each other with respect, while holding wildly divergent opinions, was a breath of fresh air.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 12

Also that was the most coherent political discussion I've heard on this show in at least six years; probably because they cleared the morons from the stage and had two people that have some idea of what they are talking with Joy asking the questions.  Joy, the only co-host who I believe has any idea what's going on.  I always enjoy seeing Paul Begala but he's been on here before where he couldn't really get a word in edgewise.

Yes!! I tuned in part way, and thought it was a different show!! Joy may have insisted on that type of format, like once a month, maybe more as we get closer to election. She slanted things a bit, and it was a little two libs to one sippy cup, but they were speaking intelligently (for THIS show, anyway) - yeah, and throwing in the joke or two, but it IS basically a fluff show at this point, so ANYTHING resembling serious discussion WITHOUT penis jokes is "a breath of fresh air."

I'm back and forth on Joy, but they were smart to bring her back, and I hope she brings in a variety of "talking heads" and lets them talk, and debate a bit, like she did on Friday.

There was an interesting article linked in the media section, I think, about how everyone likes Raven, Joy and Michelle clash, Whoopi couldn't stand Barbara by the time Babs left (well, we were all pretty much sick of her, so yeah) and "infighting" is at an all time high. I don't really believe that last bit - if everyone likes Raven then infighting can't be at an ALL time high - wasn't it worse last season?

Never mind - I don't want to THINK about last season!!!!! Maybe they like her MORE with all the heat she's taking - seems like Joy may be out of the woods re: HER recent "dragging" (love those new slang words) - let Symone take the heat for a while - she'll shrug it off. They ALL get their share of the social media glare, since they all say something that either IS dumb, or sounds dumb out of context, or is just stated a bit inelegantly.

I tend to read more into what a person is TRYING to get across, based not only on what they say in the moment, but things they have said in the past, or things I ASSUME they believe. It is easy to jump on someone who truly misspeaks, when they don't really mean what they said. Then, when someone is TRYING but makes a bad analogy, say, people jump all over THAT. Then if they try to apologize, or not, or explain more, well, that is more "messiness" to clean up. Many times, though, we read into a person's choice of words, and we can be correct, or maybe not, on what they REALLY "meant." Which is why I supported Joy in the last mess. Though she WAS a bit slow to understand the firestorm about to erupt. She learned from it, and I can see when she is a bit gun-shy, (another weird word!! - sorry!!) like the other day, when she said there were two and a half candidates, she was quick to explain herself - she seemed afraid that her choice of "half" would be jumped on (sort of like my choice of gun-shy).

For myself, I've made plenty of bad choices in the words I've uttered, and in some cases, has led me to understand myself better, say when I've examined my own "white privilege" at different points in my life. Other times, I've been ignorant, drunk, or whatever. I try hard to give folks a break in terms of communicating - both written and oral. It's hard!!! Thinking can be hard!! Lol!! My BRAIN hurts!! At least when I write, I have time to mull over my thoughts a bit, especially since I'm not a good keyboardist, and typing takes way too long for my brain!! (I AM a "genius" - hah) When I speak, I blurt out all kinds of nonsense ;) Another reason I admire Joy - she is good at getting her point across, and is relatively consistent about it, the recent debacle notwithstanding (now THERE'S a word!!)

• Love 5

Whoppi actually looks and sounds tolerable and sane compared to the weird and obnoxious others on the panel.

Joy is the only other panelist I can tolerate.

Is Michelle Collins really a comedian? She's not smart and she's obnoxious. She also was the one who was way more insulting and rude about the nursing issue than Joy was. Joy was basically uninformed and came off stupid, bit Mochelle was mocking and laughing, but because no one knows who she is, she got away with it and Jou took the brunt of the stupid scandal with overdone outrage from crazy nurses who need to be told they are wonderful.

• Love 2

OMG I also can't believe that Whopping is the only one I can tolerate today!

Raven is a idiot .

Paula has that irritating, prissy, judgemental look that extreme religious people always seem to have.

Is Michelle Collins is not funny at all. Where did this no talent come from?

I also have another real question.

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 4