Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/05/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 10/5: Anderson Cooper, Tony Goldwyn, Stacy London
Tu 10/6: Dr. Ben Carson, Garcelle Beauvais, Ty Hodges, Ryan Destiny
We 10/7: Gov. John Kasich, Mariska Hargitay, Ice-T
Th 10/8: Ashley Judd, Jenna Elfman, Adriana Trigiani, Paul Wilson, Alfonso Ribeiro
Fr 10/9: Hugh Jackman, Levi Miller, Mario Cantone

I doubt Whoopi's going to allow anyone else to talk and will cater to Carson. Just a feeling.

It would be great to bring back Joy's Comedy Corner with Mario, but it's not likely.

You could be right, although she didn't defend him for his "I don't know" when he was asked what he would have done if he were president during this Hurricane Joaquin going on. The look on his handler's face was Unintended Comedy GOLD. Like "Oh shit! Didn't expect that! What'shegonnasay?" And then quickly says "thank you!" and cuts off the questioning.

• Love 2

Whoopi starts the Hot Topic "Millennial Feminists.."..and starts laughing. "What are Millennial Feminists?" Well I am glad we have a moderator for the show who doesn't even know what the subject she is presenting is.

I am so glad the producers moved the Hot Topics meeting earlier to prevent Whoopi from picking them. But clearly she is going to be nasty because of it. I hope the rumors are true and she is gone by December. Her exit is the only thing that can truly save the show in my opinion. 

• Love 12

I counted twice already they have cut Paula off and not let her talk. Michelle needs to shut up with the jokes!

That is the way of The View.... Paula needs to be more assertive... and she was the 2nd time she was cut off... she jumped back in and finished her point.

That table is not a place for a passive person.

• Love 5

I guess Michelle is always going to be known for the inappropriate joke.

Anderson Cooper was on telling about his special where they are looking at 13 year old kids who are taking 150-200 selfies before getting one they like to post on line... and Michelle says it takes that many to find a pretty one.  Ignoring the problem of the need for perfection at age 13.

It might just be me... but serious subject should not be joked about.... It just seems Michelle is just looking for attention and not getting it

• Love 9

I must be easily satisfied as long as I get my Joy fix because I really enjoyed today’s show. Of course, I tuned out before Stacy London, so that probably helped.

Whoopi’s opinions must be very malleable, because she’s almost a different person entirely when Joy is there. Michelle and Raven don’t grate on me as much as they could because they’re clearly background filler. I admit I laughed at the human melatonin joke, and Michelle saying Fitz would be better than the other Republican nominees. I’d never seen that clip of Anderson Cooper either… LOL

I’ve always loved Tony Goldwyn. I’m glad he has steady work on Scandal, even if his character is one of the worst on that show.

• Love 3

Carly Fiorina flat out lied about the video, and our media is letting her get away with it. I'm glad the panel sans Paula pushed back on it. Ben Carson reminds me of the Chauncey Gardener character in Being There. Whoopi is just as inept as always. 

• Love 14

I thought Hillary was very good on SNL..... Loved her impersonation of Trump.

I have to say though.... I watched a little bit of Windy Williams. and her comment "Hilary was just there" was unfounded... makes me wonder what her political stance is.

• Love 4

Thanks to Joy and even Whoopi for standing up for the truth about Fiorina's lies about Planned Parenthood, and again forJoy  insisting on correcting Paula about no federal funds being used for abortions. This was a time when cross talk was needed! Unlike the news media, we can't let lies go unanswered for the sake of being polite. 

Paula also showed her misunderstanding (convenient misinterpreting) of female issues (a requirement for a republican) by stating that the millennials's objection to Hillary Clinton's feminism was that she ismisandrist. Although Michelle often interupts with a joke which derails the conversation, this time she was right on target. Any objection from a feminism standpoint would be that her brand of feminism could be considered "white privileged" feminism (a criticism I don't agree with), but definitely not that she hates men.  I would think that Paula would be capable of accurately researching feminism for a show which is primarily geared toward women.

• Love 6

Thanks to Joy and even Whoopi for standing up for the truth about Fiorina's lies about Planned Parenthood, and again forJoy  insisting on correcting Paula about no federal funds being used for abortions. This was a time when cross talk was needed! Unlike the news media, we can't let lies go unanswered for the sake of being polite.

Details! Details! I'm still at work so I won't see it until tonight. What'd they say??!! Tellmetellmetellmeeeeee!

• Love 2

Details! Details! I'm still at work so I won't see it until tonight. What'd they say??!! Tellmetellmetellmeeeeee!

I have a hard time even talking about this, so bear with me.  Whoopi & Joy told Paula that "the baby on the table" was "stock footage" & could have been filmed anywhere, e.g. Rawanda, but Fiorina knew it & was propagating the lie to back up their PP rhetoric.  Joy also corrected Paula's assertion about PP doing more abortions that they actually were.

• Love 6

And it looked like Whoopi was about to go to commercial but Joy repeated that Fiorina was a liar. Paula added something else and then Whoopi jumped back in with Fiorina not amending her false accusation of the video. Raven then said hey, hey ladies, took Joy and Paula's hands to unite them, did a fake kissy on them then Whoopi went to commercial.

• Love 1

I guess the 16 minutes I missed at the beginning are worth catching... off to find them!

Paula, Paula, Paula, the photos in the fake PP videos were taken from Lexi Oliver Fretz’s blog about her stillborn son without permission. Warning the photos on her blog may be upsetting.  And again, Paula?  Title X is contraception for the poor, it has nothing to do with abortions, stop trying to spin it!

Did they really mean to be speaking about third wave feminists and not millennial feminists?  Clearly, Whoopi's never heard of intersectionality, and I thought it was weird that they were implying there weren't other choices, every.single.millennial. that I know is deeply excited about Bernie!  That bit about Hillary being a misandrist was just bizarre.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 7

I actually watched everything but turned it off when they were introducing Must Not Have Stacy London Monday.

Love Anderson Cooper and Tony Goldwyn. Yes, Whoopi, he was great with you in Ghost.

Oh, and they were all wearing some kind of blue in honor of No Bullying Day. Raven said she wanted to use her blue lipstick but the producers told her she couldn't wear it on the show anymore!

• Love 7

Paula also showed her misunderstanding (convenient misinterpreting) of female issues (a requirement for a republican) by stating that the millennials's objection to Hillary Clinton's feminism was that she ismisandrist. Although Michelle often interupts with a joke which derails the conversation, this time she was right on target. Any objection from a feminism standpoint would be that her brand of feminism could be considered "white privileged" feminism (a criticism I don't agree with), but definitely not that she hates men.  I would think that Paula would be capable of accurately researching feminism for a show which is primarily geared toward women.

The ladies were very good today in countering Paula about the lie about Planned Parenthood..I love it when Whoopie is passionate about substantive issues..That  is the Whoopie that I want to see, not the apologist to the stars, when they do something wrong....I am starting to dislike Paula, she is stealth and I see Bitsy and Candace in her..They are in love with their ideology than the truth...

Why do the far right hate Hillary Clinton, I have never really understood their ire against her...can someone please explain it to me like I am Sherry and Elizabeth...Thanks!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

1. She is an incredibly well qualified candidate.  First Lady of AR, First Lady of the US, Senator, Secretary of State with gilded educational credentials from Wellesley and Yale Law.

2. Long record of fighting for female equality globally, equality of opportunity for children and fighting against income inequality.

3. Known for bipartisan solution seeking, hard work and encyclopedic policy knowledge.

What's not to scare them?

Thank you! I love it..

The idea of the hard right trying to "sic" Fiorina against HRC is laughable.  HRC has her issues with authenticity but she doesn't tell bald faced lies and repeat them ad infinitum until she turns purple in the face even after she's received 100 Pinocchios like Fiorina.  It's not for nothing that Ted Cruz's Super Pac donated a half a million to Fiorina's, it is for her to remain strong to attack HRC further into the race.

• Love 3

But aren't we lucky/grateful that Geddie's no longer there to push his faux agenda? Paula and Candace are not Foxbots ala Bitsy and their conservative religious views seem to be more honestly held, though misguided. I always thought Bitsy said what she was coached to say whether or not she believed it to be true. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 3

Fix it, Jesus!

Geez!  Between Sherri and Candace, I thought I was watching that PTL show (or whatever it was called).  That's gotta stop.

Watching Joy with the two guests in the political discussion was a thing of beauty.  She got her zingers in and made her points.

eta, Love the  "Fix it Jesus", tm Phaedra Parks.  Bronzedog, when Phaedra does it, it's amusing to me.  Not so much with Sherri and Candace.

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 4

SHIT!!! Because of some conversion going on with my cable, the show, which was dvr'd disappeared from my schedule! I've been assured it will "come back" within 24 hours. DAMMIT.

So y'all will have to wait for my opinion rant tomorrow! Hee.

• Love 3

I'm liking the changes so far and I think that the new powers that be are running a tighter ship. Whoopi must hate relinquishing any control. It's smart that they are revolving the hosts to see who might have better chemistry and they can shuffle the deck and get rid of who is not working. Now I hope Whoopi is done in December like that article said. Glad they are doing the Hot Topics prep without Whoopi. Whoopi's bitterness is slipping through but her conversation is elevated with Joy there. Whoopi is just such a grouch. Bure better reign in the jesus talk and Paula always plays nice and sweet while sometimes sticking up for a real dumb or even mean concept. She is not too grating and kinda a dork, so far. Raven has a weird, squeaky laugh and she reminded me of the Boy George era with her outfit today. I like seeing what she's going to wear. She is just very self-centered and outside of her bubble, not very smart. Michelle makes me laugh about once a show and cringe the other times she opens her mouth.

Oo boy, went to see Candace interview Danny and she is a total bitch! What a mean interview. I will not be able to take crap like that. Hopefully they'll dump her and phase her hateful ass out the door.

• Love 3

I usually don't catch the opening credits (I only record 1002-1032A).  I had watched a couple episodes on-demand last week, and the credits featured all 6 co-hosts (can't FF on Comcast on-demand -- oh the agony of 7-minute commercial breaks). Today, they went back (?) to the credits without Mrs Bure.  That seems really odd, almost as if they had fired her.  I raced online to see if there was any scoop.  Nope.  I realize that contracts can be personalized (great way to save cash), but has Mrs Bure been off the credits all season?

I guess that would mean Whoopi, Joy, Michelle, and Raven have full-time contracts? Or maybe just Whoopi and Joy?  I don't think Raven has missed a show this season so we don't know if she will be off the intro.  And I don't recall if Michelle was in the opening credits on Yom Kippur.

Other random comments:

1. Live with Kelly and Michael couldn't show the AndersonCooper-Madonna clip ("too racy for daytime").  I suppose The View got away with it, since they cropped out Madonna dry hump topping Anderson as he grabbed his ankles.....

2. Regarding the "millenial feminists", this smelled like some small newsclip that someone had found, a group trying to get attention, rather than some huge voting/social trend. Paula pretty much immediately said something to the effect that it was a small group.  Probably just a handful of Bernie-philes.

3. Joy's insistent defense of Planned Parenthood is always good, but it just goes to how you highlight/twist/morph the numbers to make your political point.  Yes, they may only spend 3% on pregnancy termination, and that 3% can still account for the 30% of all terminations that take place in the US (Paula's point).  In effect, they are each arguing their point using the same numbers/data.  If I have $100, and I spend $3 on "X", that's 3%.  And if in the entire country, only $10 is spent on that "X", then Paula is also correct.

Same is true with the 3% not coming from Feds.  If your mom gives you $97 and your sister gives you $3, you can rationalize that you will only spend the $3 your sister gave you for "X".  Those on the other side don't even consider that a valid point, instead saying, "no,  you still have $100 and 3 cents of every dollar you have is going toward X".  

Math hurts. 

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 5

Have mercy on me, Stacy is enough to drive a person to drink.   I am taking an antibiotic so can't indulge but crap she reminds me of one of those old time hawkers at a county fair.  Dial it BACK.  So sick of Whoopi coming out to take something ...

This group of fawning stupid women are just embarrassing. Bet Joy is wondering why she signed up for this. 

Michelle really needs to go.

• Love 4

I usually don't catch the opening credits (I only record 1002-1032A).  I had watched a couple episodes on-demand last week, and the credits featured all 6 co-hosts (can't FF on Comcast on-demand -- oh the agony of 7-minute commercial breaks). Today, they went back (?) to the credits without Mrs Bure.  That seems really odd, almost as if they had fired her.  I raced online to see if there was any scoop.  Nope.  I realize that contracts can be personalized (great way to save cash), but has Mrs Bure been off the credits all season?

I guess that would mean Whoopi, Joy, Michelle, and Raven have full-time contracts? Or maybe just Whoopi and Joy?  I don't think Raven has missed a show this season so we don't know if she will be off the intro.  And I don't recall if Michelle was in the opening credits on Yom Kippur.

Other random comments:

1. Live with Kelly and Michael couldn't show the AndersonCooper-Madonna clip ("too racy for daytime").  I suppose The View got away with it, since they cropped out Madonna dry hump topping Anderson as he grabbed his ankles.....

2. Regarding the "millenial feminists", this smelled like some small newsclip that someone had found, a group trying to get attention, rather than some huge voting/social trend. Paula pretty much immediately said something to the effect that it was a small group.  Probably just a handful of Bernie-philes.

3. Joy's insistent defense of Planned Parenthood is always good, but it just goes to how you highlight/twist/morph the numbers to make your political point.  Yes, they may only spend 3% on pregnancy termination, and that 3% can still account for the 30% of all terminations that take place in the US (Paula's point).  In effect, they are each arguing their point using the same numbers/data.  If I have $100, and I spend $3 on "X", that's 3%.  And if in the entire country, only $10 is spent on that "X", then Paula is also correct.

Same is true with the 3% not coming from Feds.  If your mom gives you $97 and your sister gives you $3, you can rationalize that you will only spend the $3 your sister gave you for "X".  Those on the other side don't even consider that a valid point, instead saying, "no,  you still have $100 and 3 cents of every dollar you have is going toward X".  

Math hurts. 

Those on the other side need to think that over. }

Take Catholic Hospitals for example..... The profits go toward the Catholic Church..... but just like abortion.... it is illegal for federal funds to go to churches. So those Hospitals have to do fancy accounting to make sure those Federal Funds are not part of the profit that goes to the Church.

Now if they want to change the process for Planned Parenthood..... they will also have to change the way Federal Funds are treated with all Religious entities that receive Federal Funds.

• Love 3

I thought that Paula would be an intelligent,  addition to the panel  but her conservative views (which I didn't expect)  have been a real turn-off for me.  I was hoping for a reasonable  person not another  fox-bot.

• Love 8

Carly Fiorina flat out lied about the video, and our media is letting her get away with it. I'm glad the panel sans Paula pushed back on it. Ben Carson reminds me of the Chauncey Gardener character in Being There. Whoopi is just as inept as always. 

Oh my gosh! You may be the only other person on the planet besides me who has had that same thought about Ben Carson and the similarity to Chauncey Gardener in Being There. That is one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Love 2

the same is true with the 3% not coming from Feds.  If your mom gives you $97 and your sister gives you $3, you can rationalize that you will only spend the $3 your sister gave you for "X".  Those on the other side don't even consider that a valid point, instead saying, "no,  you still have $100 and 3 cents of every dollar you have is going toward X".  

Math hurts. 

PP most definitely does provide 30% of abortion services in the US, and that is 3% of the services they provide.  Here's the thing about the federal money - federal money that goes to PP is payed in a fee for service amount, just like any other insurance reimbursement.  So there is nothing "fungible" about it, and no need for complicated accounting to prove it.  If PP doesn't provide a service to a patient with Medicaid or Title X eligibility they don't get federal reimbursement.  PP can absolutely never (Hyde Amendment) be reimbursed by the federal government for an abortion for a Medicaid or Title X patient unless it is for rape, incest or the safety of the mother, and even in this rare instance, they still can't be reimbursed for abortion in some states, since Medicaid is a state run program (that receives federal dollars, I believe that Title X works the same way) and some states have legislated away those exceptions.

The GOPers, try to gloss over all those details by referring to normal insurance-like reimbursements for services rendered as "funding".  Also for the record, Medicaid reimbursements are notoriously lower than other insurance reimbursements.

So, PP raises a lot of money through donations, to a) make up for the low reimbursements and b) provide help to people seeking abortion that can't afford it amongst many other things like new facilities and the like.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 13

Thank you, Nextiteration.  With all the loud rhetoric the point is being lost that most of the funding = medicaid reimbursements.  The government can choose to not reimburse for things like abortions, therefore not one cent of public money is funding abortions.  

• Love 1

About Paula: I should probably explain what I mean when I say "I like her," just so nobody thinks I agree with her... lol 

I like her as a conservative co-host. I don't think the people who run The View will ever give us a season where there isn't a conservative co-host--they must've forgotten the early years when there wasn't one--so by resigning myself to the fact that there will always be one, she's the one I like of the co-hosts they've found over the years. She's leaps ahead of Candace/Elisabeth, but does a little less spinning than Nicolle, imo. Nicolle would always say, "I agree with you, X co-host," and then say almost the entire opposite of what they'd just said, thereby keeping anyone from voicing opposition with her--in other words, she would never be called on her BS. At least with Paula, she's pretty open about her opinion and the others can respond.

I have to say though.... I watched a little bit of Windy Williams. and her comment "Hilary was just there" was unfounded... makes me wonder what her political stance is.

Wendy has always been a wolf in sheep's clothing, using all the freshest gay lingo and doing her best to appear gay friendly, but then almost in the same breath saying some of the most repulsive things about women/gays. And then she talks about how she likes people who "say it like they mean it," but then goes in on anyone who disagrees with her--including her own audience members. She's another one like Whoopi who likes to lecture from the throne to all the youngin's when her own life choices have been pretty poor.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

Raven is amusing.... they were having a discussion about musical artists not wanting to play their old songs at concerts.

Raven's stance was no big deal because artists want to show what new things they are able to do.... and she used the example of people wanting her to sing songs from when she was on the Cosby show.... and how she will never sing those songs again.... but she did NOT mention how she wants to discard "Its So Raven" which she mentions every chance she gets.

Im with Paula... you got famous by playing the hits from your past.... Yes do a concert playing your new songs..... but also play those from the past which is why most people are at your concert.

• Love 7

I remember watching Raven on the Cosby show, but have no recollections of her singing any songs on that show, or even having any specific catch-phrases.  I'm having trouble believing people ask Raven to act like the 3-year old character she portrayed.

Also, Ben Carson always seems like he's been sedated. 

• Love 10

Ben Carson's wife comments from the audience saying..... this is the first generation that makes the debt a worse problem than ever before.... which is just more misinformation... the debt gets bigger every year.... what changed with the current administration was the deficit was decreased by around 3/4.... which means the debt is increasing at a slower rate.

I hate it when people use misinformation to make their point... it makes other things suspect and they can not be believed.

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 14

Of all the things to be interested in, or concerned about, Mrs. Carson worries about the national debt's impact on her grandchildren?  Really?  

How many average people, day-to-day, think about that?  None.  People worry about their own personal quality of life, health, safety….not the national debt and how long it will take to pay it off.  Someone may want to break it to her that a country's debt will never, ever be zero.  It has nothing to do with who is President.

• Love 7

Just had to say I loved the fact that they used Leona Lewis' "Fire Under My Feet" for the walk-out song. I've been listening to her album the past week and a half, but she's a non-entity in the US these days.

I was glad Joy talked about a teacher's perspective on the gun thing. So if a gunman walks into your building (much less your room), you run and waste time trying to unlock a drawer and/or load the gun. And then you have 20+ other targets in the room you need to worry about. I know people who say that mean teachers should be trained, but that's just not reasonable with all the other training they have to do. Besides, the schools have enough problems with budgets already without paying for guns/bullets.

I noticed they never got to the topic about history books which was advertised at the bottom of the screen--too bad, I would've liked them to discuss that.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4

As a lifelong Marylander, I've known of Dr. Carson for years. He was the standard of what doctors should hope to be. An amazing surgeon. What a disappointment he is now. I'm sure he deserved all the accolades he received as a doctor, but, the thought of him being President? Just say no!

• Love 22