Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/05/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

So today was Whoopi selling her book day which just happened to fall on Joy's B-day.   And this is a book about relationships??? Is it a joke?   Isn't that kind of like her publishing a fashion book?   The only advice I would find more ridiculous would be Whoopi's parenting advice, which will probably be her next book.

Kasicks's probably the only candidate they've had on that didn't creep me out, but I'm not sure I could picture him winning anything. Whoopi dominated the time he was there.

Wait, so that WAS Kasich at the table?  I thought it sure looked like him, but all I could hear was Whoopi's big fat mouth talking and talking and talking  - I stopped watching since it didn't sound like he was going to  get to say anything.

• Love 8

I dont own guns.... in fact I have never shot a gun.... but I still have an opinion.

I dont think banning guns is the answer.... there are millions of people out there who own guns and should be allowed to. What needs to change is the easy access almost everyone has to guns.

The background system needs to be fixed.... there needs to be a system of reporting mental health issues..... as well as criminal activity.... those current systems are not set up well and makes background checks ineffective.

I also think all guns need to be registered.... this will help to find out who was the last person to legally own a gun if it is found being used by a criminal.

Track the people down who are selling guns illegally.

If this is going to be Joy's go to issue... she needs to get better informed and have ideas to present.

While, I admit that even I roll my eyes at some of the right winged nut jobs out there but, there is some validity to the fact that the government has forcibly taken firearms in the past. In 2008 hurricane Katrina devastated the gulf coast and the fine folks of the local police took away law abiding citizens firearms. Worse, the people sued the government sating that their rights were violated and LOST. This sets precedence for the government to declare a disaster (ohh, gun crime rates maybe) and take away the firearms of people doing nothing wrong. Now you would say, at least we would take away the CRIMINALS firearms, but we wouldn't. Criminals, for as stupid as they are, are usually smart enough to commit a crime with a firearm that is not registered to them. All you would do is strip away the firearms of people doing nothing wrong.

• Love 2

Fast forward 5-10 years and 3-D printing will make "printing" a gun AND bullets in your own home a simple thing. When people talk about banning something that apparently is everywhere (if there are 300 million in the US, then at least 1 billion worldwide??) I have to roll my eyes. Taxing bullets and charging $5000 a piece? Do folks know how criminals work?? Emotional reactions to an age old problem seem to do little in the long run. This mass murderer used one gun? to kill 10 people. The fact that he had 13 guns or how may ever is a clue to his mental state, or something (some hunters, for example, may own many guns, but rarely shoot any one of them). But. You only need ONE gun to do mucho damage.

"When I was a kid," there was little gun control I was aware of. We heard of the random kid being shot by the idiot brother, tho I didn't know anyone specifically. My father had a long gun in the closet (I have no idea where the bullets were. This was before gun locks, etc. The '60s, say) but I would NEVER think to touch it. I don't think HE ever fired it. I don't understand what has changed from then to now, where people are so mad, so angry, so isolated, so inured to violent games, TV, etc., the war culture (which has been around since Day One, but still, it has been a social issue for years now) - I see a sea change (down by the seashore) but I don't understand exactly, because human nature doesn't change all that quickly. I'm not ancient, but things ARE different. Different better, and different WORSE.

We DO need to treat guns more like ...  cars, abortion, other comparable dangers to society. Common sense!!!

• Love 4

Jeanius, taxing bullets at $5000 a bullet is an exageration, but since there are so many guns out there, it's not a bad

idea to control ammunition in some way, but of course, the NRA would put a quick stop to that idea.

And if you have fourteen guns in your apartment with a son who is mentally unstable, I'd say that contributes to the likelihood that he might do some damage with that kind of access to them.  Being in a gun loving atmosphere is a recipe for disaster for a young man like that. (The gunman who killed the children in Newtown lived with his mother who had many guns too. )  I'm not saying this is unavoidable, just that the harder and more expensive it is to accumulate guns, the better.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 5

I don't understand what has changed from then to now, where people are so mad, so angry, so isolated, so inured to violent games, TV, etc., the war culture (which has been around since Day One, but still, it has been a social issue for years now) - I see a sea change (down by the seashore) but I don't understand exactly, because human nature doesn't change all that quickly. I'm not ancient, but things ARE different. Different better, and different WORSE.

Marketing.  The NRA did  one hell of a job selling the Second Amendment.  They convinced people if you can have a gun you should have a gun and nobody should be able to tell you differently. 

• Love 12

Rupert Murdoch sent out a tweet that Ben Carson would be a "Real" Black President..... he did apologize later.

Whoopi went on a rant about race.... and it really wasnt that bad.... she did put her dramatic spin on it.... but it seemed to be a positive rant.

• Love 1

Rupert Murdoch sent out a tweet that Ben Carson would be a "Real" Black President..... he did apologize later.

Whoopi went on a rant about race.... and it really wasnt that bad.... she did put her dramatic spin on it.... but it seemed to be a positive rant.

I did not like it at all. She tends to simplify racism in this country...It  is a very complex issue and as a Black woman she should know better...What Rupert Murdoch said was very offensive, it brings to mind what is a good black(house) vs. a bad black(field)..I would use the N word to give it more emphasis, but I did not want to offend anybody on here, even though I am black...

• Love 11

So, so, so tired of the "ban guns and only criminals will have them" mantra. Might as well legalize rape or only rapists will rape. Private citizens needing firearms to ward off big bad government? Give me a break to go with my belly laugh. Screw the 2nd Amendment and its ridiculously lax application that leaves 20 five and six-year olds looking like blood-soaked Swiss cheese and our campuses, malls and movie theaters resembling abattoirs. Oops, I probably sound too emotional. Oh well.

• Love 23

I did not like it at all. She tends to simplify racism in this country...It  is a very complex issue and as a Black woman she should know better...What Rupert Murdoch said was very offensive, it brings to mind what is a good black(house) vs. a bad black(field)..I would use the N word to give it more emphasis, but I did not want to offend anybody on here, even though I am black...

I agree.  Don't understand why she becomes so aggressive in the defence that there is not rampant racism in the U.S.  

• Love 4

So, so, so tired of the "ban guns and only criminals will have them" mantra. Might as well legalize rape or only rapists will rape. Private citizens needing firearms to ward off big bad government? Give me a break to go with my belly laugh. Screw the 2nd Amendment and its ridiculously lax application that leaves 20 five and six-year olds looking like blood-soaked Swiss cheese and our campuses, malls and movie theaters resembling abattoirs. Oops, I probably sound too emotional. Oh well.

Yes.  The last time I actually went to the cinema to see a movie was "Gone Girl."  It was a packed, sold out screening.  The whole time I was scanning the theatre as if I was going to spot the lunatic that might open fire.  Not kidding…I was a little nervous.  How pathetic is that?

• Love 6

I have family that live in the Chicago area, where we have some of the strictest gun control in the entire nation. Yet every weekend, we read about how many murders have just occurred in their gun free utopia.

The reality is most people who advocate extensive gun control, up to and including outright confiscation, tend to be wealthy white people who live in nice neighborhoods that are never impacted by crime.

Most of them have no idea that the new most recent major pro-gun rulings (McDonald vs Chicago and Heller vs DC) were initiated by urban clients in areas ravaged by crime.

I suppose it's easier to just paint all "pro gun" people as racist rednecks and call it a day, rather than recognize that some people carry because they genuinely live in very dangerous neighborhoods with minimal police presence.

• Love 4

Actually Chicago gun laws are not as restrictive as they used to be....The courts struck down a lot of the restrictions..... but that does not change the mantra from the Right.

The way the laws are now... it can not be found out where those illegal guns are being sold from....Also the surrounding areas have much laxer gun laws.

There needs to be change on the federal level

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 5

I know they're not as restricted because, of recent court cases. But, for a long time you couldn't CCW in Chicago and it still had one of the highest killings in the nation.

As far as the illegal guns, mostly it's because they deface the serial numbers to make it harder to trace.

Edited by FortKnox

The 11 yr old that they mentioned who shot the 8 yr old neighbor... to me it was not about the gun. The kid targeted that child and would have killed her any way he could... with his hands.... a rock... slamming her head into pavement. He wanted to see the puppy and since he was a previous bully to her she said no.  What if he had asked to touch a girl's breast.. and she said no? This boy has serious problems and I hope he is locked up beyond his 18th/21st birthday. His name and photo are being withheld to "protect his future". Her name and photo are not being withheld bc she has no future... bc she is DEAD.

ON an up note, Joy looks amazing and seemed to appreciate the b'day surprise. Jay is a good sport.

Raven has been in show business since age 3. Why cant she read a card normally?

I try to watch any day that Candace is absent

Cant stand CCB

• Love 2

Wow.  I watched yesterday's show again - just the Jay leno part, and you guys were right.   He absolutely was not all warm and fuzzy with Whoop.   He hugged Joy - PICKED HER UP!   and then greeted the others, kind of ignored Whoopi, who looked  like she was trying to hug him a couple of times.  There was some tension there. 

I would LOVE to know more about that.    Whoopi is almost always the one who gets the warm greetings, the prolonged hugs, smiles, joking around, from most celebs.   Jay was clearly there to see Joy, and Joy alone.  He wasn't rude, he just wasn't giving her the adoration that she is accustomed to. 

• Love 11

The 11 yr old that they mentioned who shot the 8 yr old neighbor... to me it was not about the gun. The kid targeted that child and would have killed her any way he could... with his hands.... a rock... slamming her head into pavement. 

Really? You equate killing someone with your hands or a rock with the efficiency of a bullet? She never even had the chance to scream for help.

• Love 7

The 11 yr old that they mentioned who shot the 8 yr old neighbor... to me it was not about the gun. The kid targeted that child and would have killed her any way he could... with his hands.... a rock... slamming her head into pavement. He wanted to see the puppy and since he was a previous bully to her she said no.  What if he had asked to touch a girl's breast.. and she said no? This boy has serious problems and I hope he is locked up beyond his 18th/21st birthday. His name and photo are being withheld to "protect his future". Her name and photo are not being withheld bc she has no future... bc she is DEAD.

ON an up note, Joy looks amazing and seemed to appreciate the b'day surprise. Jay is a good sport.

Raven has been in show business since age 3. Why cant she read a card normally?

I try to watch any day that Candace is absent

Cant stand CCB

Well I heard a report where they said he tried to shoot her with a BB Gun but it misfired... so he went to the closet and got the shotgun...... It was about the gun.... if the boy did not have easy access to that gun the little girl would be alive.... he might have hurt her with his bullying.... but I doubt she would be dead.

The parents should be jailed

• Love 18

Wow.  I watched yesterday's show again - just the Jay leno part, and you guys were right.   He absolutely was not all warm and fuzzy with Whoop.   He hugged Joy - PICKED HER UP!   and then greeted the others, kind of ignored Whoopi, who looked  like she was trying to hug him a couple of times.  There was some tension there. 

I would LOVE to know more about that.    Whoopi is almost always the one who gets the warm greetings, the prolonged hugs, smiles, joking around, from most celebs.   Jay was clearly there to see Joy, and Joy alone.  He wasn't rude, he just wasn't giving her the adoration that she is accustomed to. 

I absolutely loved watching The Whoopster get brushed off by Jay Leno.  Totally!!!

• Love 9

Well I heard a report where they said he tried to shoot her with a BB Gun but it misfired... so he went to the closet and got the shotgun...... It was about the gun.... if the boy did not have easy access to that gun the little girl would be alive.... he might have hurt her with his bullying.... but I doubt she would be dead.

The parents should be jailed

I agree, Roger.

The boy shot her with a twelve gauge shotgun from inside his home. She was an easy target with a shotgun. In other news:

In another fatal child shooting case, authorities said on Monday that an 11-year-old boy fatally shot his brother while target shooting in Ohio.

The boys were with two adults, who had three loaded guns on a picnic table. The younger boy picked one up and it fired, killing his 12-year-old brother.

Yes, let's starting holding parents accountable for their total recklessness. In the latter case, those parents will have to live with the death of their son forever. Start charging parents with strict laws and maybe they will be less careless. Or maybe not. I've kind of given up when it comes to sanity in the US about this issue.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 12

I agree, Roger.

The boy shot her with a twelve gauge shotgun from inside his home. She was an easy target with a shotgun. In other news:

In another fatal child shooting case, authorities said on Monday that an 11-year-old boy fatally shot his brother while target shooting in Ohio.

The boys were with two adults, who had three loaded guns on a picnic table. The younger boy picked one up and it fired, killing his 12-year-old brother.

Yes, let's starting holding parents accountable for their total recklessness. In the latter case, those parents will have to live with the death of their son forever. Start charging parents with strict laws and maybe they will be less careless. Or maybe not. I've kind of given up when it comes to sanity in the US about this issue.

Yes - if parents left cocaine or vodka lying around, even prescription pills,  and a kid got into it and died, the parents would be charged with neglect or endangerment.  Guns are more likely to kill someone - because killing is what guns are for. 

• Love 11

I wonder if Whoopi was having ROSIE flashbacks when Raven was talking about racism.

She pissed me off and would not let Raven get her point across. Whoopie is just like Elizabeth in that they do not like anybody to counter an opinion that they hold dear..Elizabeth did not like anybody criticizing the war in Iraq, if you did it, you were anti-America and you hated the troops. That  is what caused the infamous split screen with Rosie.. Whoopie does not like anybody tell her that Racism is alive and kicking in many forms in the United States..

When Reverend Whoopie was lecturing us poor ignorant masses about racism.  She brought up South Africa's  system of Apartheid, yet she failed to see  to see the correlation with the Jim Crow laws in the south.. Whoopie is so ignorant and it is not funny...I hate it when she pontificates about subjects that she knows nothing about..She hated that about Rosie, who was well read and informed about subjects like racism...Rosie had a natural curiosity about life and was open-minded to learn and grow. It endeared her to me..Whoopie is contented to being  ignorant about life..I miss Rosie...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 19

Yes - if parents left cocaine or vodka lying around, even prescription pills,  and a kid got into it and died, the parents would be charged with neglect or endangerment.  Guns are more likely to kill someone - because killing is what guns are for.

Even if you let your underage child drive your car and they hurt someone the parent would be charged. But if you let your kid have access to a gun (who's sole purpose is to harm)  and they hurt someone people say "well how were we supposed to foresee that happening?"

• Love 6

Whoopie is contented to being  ignorant about life

Whoopi only cares about what affects her.  Does day to day racism affect her?  No.  Does it affect her daughter and grandchildren?  Doubtful. 

It's the same view she has about money.  She constantly bitches about things like cell phones taxes without realizing most people are more worried about paying their mortgage or even putting food on the table. 

It's like once she became a rich celebrity she completely forgot where she came from.

And as far as Jay Leno snubbing her I have a feeling that people who knew Whoopi way back when she was first making her way through the comedy clubs might not have such a warm fuzzy feeling about her.   Call it a hunch.

• Love 15

Even if you let your underage child drive your car and they hurt someone the parent would be charged. But if you let your kid have access to a gun (who's sole purpose is to harm) and they hurt someone people say "well how were we supposed to foresee that happening?"

I go by a saying and that is you need to gun proof your kids. Growing up in Tennessee I would go in the backyard with my dad and plink with a bb gun and then a .22 and then later, as I got better, go to a friend or relatives house, who lived out in the sticks and shoot bigger and louder caliber of guns. Which is how alot of people on both sides of the family learned how to shoot in Kentucky.

In other words my dad teached me about guns at an early age and it took the fear and badassness away from.

When I got older and started staying at the house by myself he showed me where the loaded gun was and told me that the only time to grab it is when he tells me or if there is trouble and someone is breaking into the house and I'm alone or else he would tear my hide up.

And boy did it help, when I was kid someone tried to break into my house while I was alone and the dude didn't stop trying to get in til I pulled out my dads pistol.

Edited by FortKnox
  • Love 3

Yeah...that's pretty good.  But you just know there will be the really greedy nut cases out there that will then start a black market business for "refurbished" bullets, much like refilling printer ink cartridges.  The only hope is that they blow themselves to smithereens in the process.

Ugh. Reloading. And it's a big popular deal. 'Cuz Obama's taking our bullets, y'all.

Lots of other responses to a Google "reload" search.

• Love 1

Ugh. Reloading. And it's a big popular deal. 'Cuz Obama's taking our bullets, y'all.

Lots of other responses to a Google "reload" search.

Reloading ammo has nothing to do with Obama.

First, people have been doing it since the 1880s.

Second, it's cheaper in the long run to do it if a person shoots alot. The shell, which is the most expensive component, can be reused many times with proper maintenance.

Besides keeping costs down, the ability to customize the performance of ammunition is a common goal.

Now on that note alot of gun companies are against using reloads and if the ammo causes something to go wrong the gun maker's warranty is void and the manufacturer not liable for any damage to the gun or personal injury.

Many attorneys recommend against using handloaded ammunition for defensive use.

I absolutely loved watching The Whoopster get brushed off by Jay Leno.  Totally!!!

Damn, I missed that.  I'm always multi-tasking when i watch it live and was only listening.  I clearly walked back into the room a little too late.  I love that sort of bitchy snark, lol.   

Bolding mine.

Reloading ammo has nothing to do with Obama.

First, people have been doing it since the 1880s.

Second, it's cheaper in the long run to do it if a person shoots alot. The shell, which is the most expensive component, can be reused many times with proper maintenance.

Besides keeping costs down, the ability to customize the performance of ammunition is a common goal.

Now on that note alot of gun companies are against using reloads and if the ammo causes something to go wrong the gun maker's warranty is void and the manufacturer not liable for any damage to the gun or personal injury.

Many attorneys recommend against using handloaded ammunition for defensive use.

I realize this.

I was referring to some oft' heard anti-Obama rhetoric. At least it's oft' heard in my neck of the woods.

What's the BBCode for sarcasm? lol

• Love 2

Bolding mine.

I realize this.

I was referring to some oft' heard anti-Obama rhetoric. At least it's oft' heard in my neck of the woods.

What's the BBCode for sarcasm? lol

Well sorry lol. Hopefully I have thought some people something about reloading.

• Love 3

Leno came out strong against Cosby

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/larry-wilmore-takes-bill-cosby-article-1.2086824

Maybe that has something to do with him snubbing Whoopi.

I was hoping it was something like that!!!   

I'm liking Jay Leno more if I think  he was making sure to not associate himself with Whoopi  because of the Cosby issue.    I imagine there are a lot of people who take issue with her calling victims of rape liars and opportunists.  (possiblly the Law & order actors?)    They might not confront her, especially on her show, but giving her the cold shoulder is a good way for people to indicate that they are not entirely feeling the whoopi-love. 

• Love 3

I saw John Kasich on CBS This Morning today.  The interview was probably the same length of time as his 'interview' or whatever they called it on this shitshow.  But they [Charlie Rose, Gayle King, and Nora O'Donnell]  managed to ask good questions and gave him time to actually answer them.  I liked what he said about "practical" ideas vs. the pie in the sky stuff some candidates *cough*Trump*cough* are bloviating about especially on immigration.   At the end, he even managed to be charming and left them all laughing.  

I mention this only to illustrate how crappy this show does interviews in general but political interviews in particular.  I wish they would just stop with them already.  I've yet to find one worth the time. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9

I wonder if Whoopi was having ROSIE flashbacks when Raven was talking about racism.

I thought the same thing. I believe the only reason Whoopi didn't have one of her Grade A meltdowns is because Raven is also black. It probably helps that Raven regularly kisses her behind, too.

I also got last season flashbacks earlier this week when they were talking about a story of abuse--I forget the exact details--and Whoopi made sure to blame women for getting into abusive relationships because they have low self-esteem. Yes, that's true, but the one who is ultimately responsible for the abuse is the one who commits the abuse.

• Love 7

Whoopi only cares about what affects her.  Does day to day racism affect her?  No.  Does it affect her daughter and grandchildren?  Doubtful. 

It's the same view she has about money.  She constantly bitches about things like cell phones taxes without realizing most people are more worried about paying their mortgage or even putting food on the table. 

It's like once she became a rich celebrity she completely forgot where she came from.

And as far as Jay Leno snubbing her I have a feeling that people who knew Whoopi way back when she was first making her way through the comedy clubs might not have such a warm fuzzy feeling about her.   Call it a hunch.

I have a theory about Jay's arm's length treatment of Whoopi. It's been rumored for years that Jay Leno had a roving eye despite being married. I'm thinking that maybe Jay and Whoopi had a fling way back and he is uncomfortable in her presence. I say this because right now Ted Danson has been making the talk show and interview show circuit to promote his latest acting venture but he hasn't been on the View as far as I can remember. Would be interesting to see if he shows up on one of her day's off. So maybe Leno doesn't want to "go there" and purposely isn't chummy with Whoopi because he might be afraid of what she might divulge about their shared past.

Gees guys. I didn't say that guns are less efficient  in killing. It is just my opinion that the boy wanted to hurt or kill the girl and would have done something to her in some way, with a gun or any other method of harming  -  to hurt or kill her bc he did not get what he wanted when he wanted it. Yes, of course, the gun made it easier for him and yes  the guns should be locked. The boy shouldn't have had access to the gun period. But that wouldn't have stopped him imo. And I agree that the parents should be also held responsible. If the kid got in the car and ran her over, do we take away the cars?  Imo no. Take away the child's access to the car... the keys. The boy being a bully is integral here too  (imo)

Michelle can be annoying, but she is nowhere near the level of Bitsy and CCB imo. It would be great or me if Candace doesn't come back at all

So glad Joy is back. I've always liked her and was sad to see her go previously

Seems like Alfonso is everywhere lately; but I kind of enjoy him, so there's that.

I've only recently started watching again. Who are the permanent hosts? TIA

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I actually clapped for Michelle on the Carson topic about the Holocaust. I'm sure he'd say they misconstrued his comments, since that was basically his response to every question when he visited The View.

I'll admit Michelle doesn't bother me as much as she does other people here (although I wouldn't care if she wasn't there either), but everybody has their own triggers.

I wish Sherri would go away. Please TPTB, don't bring her back. Sadly, I think Joy would be for her coming back--but I've always said I don't agree with Joy on everything.

• Love 2

I actually clapped for Michelle on the Carson topic about the Holocaust. I'm sure he'd say they misconstrued his comments, since that was basically his response to every question when he visited The View.

I'll admit Michelle doesn't bother me as much as she does other people here (although I wouldn't care if she wasn't there either), but everybody has their own triggers.

I wish Sherri would go away. Please TPTB, don't bring her back. Sadly, I think Joy would be for her coming back--but I've always said I don't agree with Joy on everything.

THIS! 

The times that I have not agreed with Joy, at least she didn't send my blood pressure into orbit like  a couple of others (Bitsy, Candace)

• Love 1

I forgot about Raven's comments about not hiring someone because of their name.

Twitter is dragging her this morning. It is funny cause everything she doesn't like about certain names is what her name is comprised of.

• Love 2

Wow. When will the Trump show be over all the live long day? I am so tired. ANd no, he did not set up that Columbian woman and had never met her before bc his people set her up for him. He makes my stomach turn. I find him loathsome and Ben Carson can go too for that matter.

Oh please Beiber. He totally knew the camera was there and he probably set it up himself. The gf was conveniently wearing a robe.  I cant stand the guy so I am biased. I wish the women had not raved about his junk. Just what he wanted. And imo there are things a man can do to appear well hung in photos.

I didn't know that Selena has lupus. I feel for her. Glad she caught  it early....I assume that matters. I don't know much about lupus except that it is autoimmune.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Another school shooting overnight? This time Arizona? WHAT? Do schools not lock their doors? Was the shooter a student ? Are there no metal detectors? I'm so horrified. IDK what to say.  

I saw Joy in the mod seat and thought Whoopi was not there....and was happy about it. Then Whoopi showed up in the Hugh Jackman interview WHAT? Don't toy with me, Show.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the political discussions led by Joy. It makes sense to have just three people. Which Republican candidate was S.E. bashing toward the end of the segment? It surprised me to hear her criticism, but I'm drawing a blank on the target.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 1