Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Laws Of Nature

• Start Topic

I am guessing more heavy transport aircraft were lying around perhaps captured by the likes of General Talbot's of the world who willing gave it back to the Avengers/SHIELD after the actions in Sokovia. It would seem to be easier then it was to rebuild a battle damaged helicarrier in secret after the fall of SHIELD.

He's got a whole helicarrier team available to him, and it's apparently based off an existing SHIELD design, as he was printing out the schematics in the season finale. As we found out in the show/Avengers, the organization is a bit bigger than Coulson had led the team to believe.

• Love 2

He's got a whole helicarrier team available to him, and it's apparently based off an existing SHIELD design, as he was printing out the schematics in the season finale. As we found out in the show/Avengers, the organization is a bit bigger than Coulson had led the team to believe.

And helping the Avengers to rescue a city should aide in recruitment, especially since the US military and possibly others are no longer hunting them to find Hydra sleeper agents.

• Love 3

WTF is Gemma in Asgard? Or someplace in the Guardians of the Galaxyverse?

Poor, poor, poor Fitz. But he's becoming quite the badass, as is Daisy. At least Coulson shares our confusion in getting used to her adapting a new name.

Yay for Bobby and Hunter reconciling and plotting to hunt down Ward! I'm literally counting the episode until Doucheface Hitler Youth dies, and it had better be by the end of the season.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Slow first half with too much set-up but much better second half.

-It's a good thing that new gay was gay with that top that Skye...er, Daisy was wearing.  It was quite impressive though and made up for the contrived name-change.

-I like the Rosalind character.  She looks a lot like an older Hope from Ant-Man (Pym got a name drop tonight)

-William Sadler is back as the President from Iron Man 3!  A smart and logical use of continuity.

-Man, Fitz was awesome in this episode.  Pisses off a Middle Eastern criminal and his meltdown at the end was intense.

-I miss Crazy Cal too.  AND May.  And Ward too.

-Simmons on an alien world?  Awesome!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Nice premiere, but I really felt the absense of both May and Simmons!  Simmons I expected to be gone (though I'm so glad we got a glimpse of her in the very end of the episode!), but I didn't expect May to still be MIA.  It really annoyed me that she wasn't even mentioned until the last 5 minutes of the episode. 

Iain was on fire this week.  This may be the best he's ever been!  His final scene with the monolith was intense!

Also, I really like the team up between Mack and Daisy (I hate that they made the name change official.  It's annoying to rename a character 2 seasons in).  Mack's no bullshit style is a good counterpoint to her, since her character has always suffered when she's spent time with other characters who liked her just a little too much.

Finally, if Lincoln's going to be a regular character this season, the show needs to improve the visual presentation of his power.  I don't remember his electricity looking this ridiculous last season.  It made the fight against Lash look sooo cheesy.  It's also made me nervous how a team of Inhumans is going to work out.  If they can't get the effects right, it could end up being silly instead of cool.  Joey's powers were alright, but there were also so vague yet so big that I'm not even really sure what his power does.  

Edited by xqueenfrostine

I missed my Agents of Shield.

First, holy shit Fitz. I just can't even. It's so interesting to see how Fitz and Simmons handle things so radically different. Fitz is hurt last season, Jemma joins Hydra to give him space. Jemma disappears and Fitz goes Borne Identity to get Jemma back. And that rage at the end?? I thought we would see him regress, back to difficultly of finding the words. But the rage?? That made me literally choke up and stop crocheting. That was impressive.

I can't believe May didn't come back. Phil/May shippers must be dying. I really did like that Phil talked about being on his third left hand and he was also missing his "right hand man" May. He really is like Fury. Except he trusts more people.

Liked the Anti-Coulson, and love that she was a she. People do answer to her and that's awesome. I wonder what she would do if she got to an Inhuman alive?

Didn't care for the Joey storyline. I did like that Lincoln wanted nothing to do with anyone. What happened to him had to be traumatizing, and if I were him, I wouldn't want anything to do with Shield either.

• Love 1

It was a little exposition-y in places, but I felt like this was a good episode overall.  The team members are working together really well for me, especially the increased screen time for Mack.  (Please, someone get that man a shotgun-axe or whatever it was he wanted.  I want to see that!)

I like that there's both a "villain" (the hospital monster) and a new antagonist that is at-odds with SHIELD but not quite villainous (assuming Roz was telling the truth).

And ohhhhh, Fitz, my heart is breaking for you :( 

And ohhhhh, Simmons, you are ALIVE!  And in danger.  On an alien planet.  Well, that sure beats dead.

• Love 2

I liked this episode. I have to say I was confused for a second when they said "Daisy", I'm still going to calling her Skye for a while. Anyhow I liked all her scenes with Mac, it's nice to see him play a major part. And I liked the inhuman from the begining, though that sucks not being able to return home.

Fitz was awesome in this episode, I had a feeling that whatever was in the case was going to knock everyone out but him. Badass! I was sad during the scene with Coulson and was wondering if they had told her family. That would be a good scene to see. Of course we got the part at the end that showed that Gemma isn't dead :). I really hope they find her soon. I imagine that she is inhuman and Fitz isn't that's why he was able to directly touch the rock.

Anyhow, great start of the season. And I liked Coulson's mechanical arm. Nice to see it in action.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

And the people who guessed Simmons was sent to Guardians-land (including me, toot toot) are the winners. Of course, I'm not expecting any of the Guardians themselves to show, up, but it would be nice to see a minor character or two from the area before she comes home. Maybe her arrival got the Nova Corps' attention.

I'm so impressed that not only do we have a gay character on the show, but it's far from the only thing that defines his personality and was introduced in such a casual way, just like the captain from The Flash.

• Love 5

While we've seen Quinjets aplenty, we've only ever seen one Bus.  And the way Fury talked about Coulson damaging his plane after it was beaten up in the early episodes of S1, makes me think it was the only one.

My bad, initially though they had the bus all over again. Not that giant spaceship-looking thing. How are they supposed to park it, anyway?

I like the Daisy and Mac pairing and I like that Coulson is still calling her Skye. I also liked that they remembered that Mockingbird is scientist as well, Still don't want her to leave for the spin off. I like her with these characters not just with Hunter, whom I just started warming up too. 

Constance Zimmer is always good at the witty banter. I've loved all her characters since a show called Good Morning, Miami that no one watched. I look forward to see where they go with Roz. Because it looks like we'll get a team up with the new threat that can make portals?

Poor Fitz, he will never give up. Is Simmons on the Inhuman planet or somewhere else? It kind reminds of Fred's story from Angel. 

Where the F is May? She needs to come back. 

• Love 4

I liked this one - good solid start to the season.  Everyone got a few minutes to shine, Fitz especially.  I love when they embrace the potential of their ensemble.  Mack and Daisy made a good team, Hunter and Bobbie can kill Ward as soon as they like for my money, and I'm glad Simmons is alive and still Simmons.  Kree homeworld?  I did miss May, but it makes some sense that she would stay gone for a while given how her trust and commitment were tested last season.

So the monolith is a portal.  'Call it the star gate.'  No 'Dave's around, but they do have a Clark.

Please, someone get that man a shotgun-axe or whatever it was he wanted.  I want to see that!

It seems totally justifiable for him to have something like that if he is going to encounter that creature again. *nods*  He should requisition it.

I was reminded of Fringe by the alien.

• Love 2

I've loved all her characters since a show called Good Morning, Miami that no one watched.

I watched it and I've loved her since then too.

Episode related and completely shallow, damn, Fitz gets hotter every season.  Iain did an amazing job all the way through.  So glad the show's back.

• Love 8

Okay so first off Where the fuck is May? seriously she may not say much but her reactions make Coulson so much less twee.

I also miss Simmons but I know Fitz will tech her back in a few episodes.

Daisy/Skye new role could be interesting but I like her and Lincoln  This could be interesting.

Constance Zimmer as "Rosalyn" will be awesome.

• Love 1

I watched it and I've loved her since then too.

Episode related and completely shallow, damn, Fitz gets hotter every season.  Iain did an amazing job all the way through.  So glad the show's back.

I would like to second the increasing hotness of Fitz.. the accent is definitely helping.

now a bit of interesting info, מות is the root for the hebrew word death =מוות (ma`vet), however when you read a little bit more into it..  מות AKA Motת was a Canaan god, with an insatiable hunger who literally swallowed anyone who got near him sending them to the land of the dead without actually killing them. the only god who was able to defeat him was actually the goddess Anat, because Mot killed their brother Ba'al. I wonder if that mythology will come into play in some form or another- mainly since the surname Simmons is a Hebrew name-ish, it is derived from the name Shimon which has been anglicized to Simon. Also the word Mot is used through out the middle east in different variations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mot_(god)

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Golem. Called it.

(Whenever there's a single hebrew word that's even slightly like met/emet and clay is involved, the rule says that someone's gonna be dragging in Golem lore.)

Edited by Snarkette
  • Love 4

Nice to see Blanka from Street Fighter II get work. And he's got new powers beyond zapping hapless people.

Looks like Gemma is the Guardians' problem now. I hope she likes cantankerous talking raccoons.

Going to be tough to think of Skye as "Daisy." Also . ..  does the rescued Inhuman have a canon counterpart with a proper hero/villain name? And funny how the fish oil supplements triggered the change.

• Love 1

Fitz' heroics didn't work for me for two reasons: First, I don't know how he set up a booby trap for everyone else but escaped, and second, if he wasn't planning on murdering everyone, what did he think would happen with those weapons in their hands? 

Joey seemed much more interesting than the rest of the characters to me. 

In the background of the alien planet we see someone running and disappearing and then reappearing.  Is this Jemma or the person chasing her?  And why is the person appearing/disappearing?  Is Jemma appearing/disappearing or is it a montage to illustrate that she's running a great distance? 

Fitz was running a scam. The weapons weren't weapons, they were stun devices. Fitz knew his targets would operate by a predictable code of behavior. He was in control the whole time they thought they were in control. He duped them. It wasn't even a long-con, he was there for like a second.

• Love 6

I'm glad she's alive but I hope she doesn't go crazy wherever she is like Fred in Pylea on Angel.

Enjoyed the references to Ant-Man and William Sadler as the President is a nice continuity nod to Iron Man 3.

I don't ship Daisy and Lincoln but them using their powers together was kick ass.

Lincoln's last name is Campbell and one of the alias' of the head of he President's special task force was "Margaret Campbell"?  Yikes.

Edited by VCRTracking

Great start to the season. Fitz losing it at the end was a powerful scene.

The only bit that didn't work for me was how Coulson and Hunter escaped the train. There were so many people guarding them! But one punch, one kick and one tech later they're gone? The plan relied on the ACTU deciding to inventory their gear on the spot? That didn't really work for me.

I loved the Ant-Man reference and all the little connections to the greater MCU. I just wish any of the movies would return the favor in any way. As far as I know there has only ever been one indirect reference and that was the device Fury used to escape his SUV in Winter Soldier. The same device was used on the show first. Does Fury's line about "old friends" in Age of Ultron count? Too many degrees of separation there for me. I hope the movie makers don't think we'll be confused by Marvel references in Marvel products.

Coulson has a Grumpy Cat mug. And Coulson's severed arm is in a box in the lab. I'm guessing that means by the end of the season he'll be rocking the Grumpy Cat in his original left hand.

• Love 1

New inhuman guy is all like, what is S.H.I.E.L.D?  Seriously, what rock has he been living under?  I know that he was once in the closet but how does the world go through the Battle of New York and the whole war with HYDRA and him not have one diddling clue what S.H.I.E.L.D is?

• Love 6

I don't mind Skye changing her name to Daisy. Women change their last names all the time when they get married/divorced and people manage to get used to it eventually. I also know people who have changed their first names for various reasons (some were people switching from the childhood versions of their names to their actual names like Billy to William, while others changed to totally different names) and same thing - everyone else got used to it after a while.

Awwwww, Fitz. I love that he refuses to give up on finding Jemma.

At the very beginning of the episode, I thought the guy with the new powers was Ward. Then Skye introduced herself as Daisy so I started wondering if they were in some sort of alternate reality.

I will always love Constance Zimmer due to my love for Joan of Arcadia.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Pretty good opener.

Fitz stole the show and as someone who has always loved Simmons more, that was a surprise. He really upped his game. Loved it.

Constance Zimmer continues to kill it in 2015. After watching her in UnReal and  having not seen her in anything before, I'm officially a huge fan now.

Daisy and Mack are a good fit. I continue to be indifferent to Lincoln. I wasn't really into the actor even when he was on The Tomorrow People. IDK, he just comes of super bland to me.

Where is my girl Gemma ??? Is that some alien planet (you guys keep mentioning Guardians - as in "of the Galaxy" ) or that place where the Inhumans live ??? I'm not well versed in Marvel lore.

Bobby is still great and I just can't stand Hunter. Why are these two getting a spin-off again ? She is perfect on Agents and adds a lot.

Also, an episode without Queen May. Never thought it would be decent. How knew. But she must come back stat.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 1

It seems to me this must have gone on in the writers room at some point:

Writer: "Well we have the whole two next seasons planned out. The X-Men are going to be so cool on this show!"

Exec: "Ummm, we don't have the screen-rights for the X-Men. Fox owns those."

Writer: "Oh shit! Uhm... Jim, do a search and replace and replace 'mutants' with 'inhumans'"

Ofcourse I'm mostly joking and there are a few parts uniquely inhuman about this, but overall it feels very X-Men. With humans all over the world suddenly getting super powers, the metaphor for being gay (or different in general), with which they hit us over the head this episode, etc.

Still, it seems very promising and I was very entertained.

New people discovering their powers will be interesting and a Kree as the antagonist, should make for some impressive fights... if they have the budget.

Speaking of gay, yay for finally getting some representation on this show and in more and more shows in general, yay! The guy seems nice enough and I guess we'll see where they go with him.

I thought it was really funny when he said "What, were you spying on me?!" after Bobby ratteled off a lot of facts about his personal life and she just says "I looked at your facebook page". We give away so much information willingly, where we would be appauled if somebody took it from us.

I don't speak or read any hebrew, but I still said "death" a few seconds before Fitz did. It was just so obvious. But they'll get Simmons back sooner or later. I'm more concerned about May at the moment. Did the actress quit or something?

now a bit of interesting info, מות is the root for the hebrew word death =מוות (ma`vet), however when you read a little bit more into it.. מות AKA Motת was a Canaan god, with an insatiable hunger who literally swallowed anyone who got near him sending them to the land of the dead without actually killing them.

Edit: I considered for a moment if Valhalla was a planet in the Marvel universe and thus could be the land of the dead, but it seems it is, just like in actual north mythology, part of Asgard.

Do we know of any planet that is the land of the dead?

Edited by Miles

And funny how the fish oil supplements triggered the change.

That was shown at the end of the S2 finale -- the terrigen crystals dissolving in the ocean, being consumed by fish, fish being harvested and converted to fish oil supplements.

So far fish oil is the only thing they know about contributing to the appearance of new Inhumans, but per that simulation that Coulson was looking at the Terrigen exposure throughout the world's oceans will be 100 % in a little over 17 months.

So, who is blasting and killing these new Inhumans if SHIELD and ACTU (I'm assuming that's Constance Zimmer's team) aren't doing it ?

That was shown at the end of the S2 finale -- the terrigen crystals dissolving in the ocean, being consumed by fish, fish being harvested and converted to fish oil supplements.

So far fish oil is the only thing they know about contributing to the appearance of new Inhumans, but per that simulation that Coulson was looking at the Terrigen exposure throughout the world's oceans will be 100 % in a little over 17 months.

So, who is blasting and killing these new Inhumans if SHIELD and ACTU (I'm assuming that's Constance Zimmer's team) aren't doing it ?

I would assume it's that weird looking Inhuman we saw in this episode, which Wikipedia is telling is named Lash. He apparently leaves their holly city or something like that (I've never heard of the Inhumans before last season of SHIELD - I'm an amateur X -Men fan at best), looking for new Inhumans and judging them if they are worthy of their new powers. If in his opinion they are not, he kills them.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 2

The big blue guy we saw fighting Lincoln, Mack and Daisy was presumably a Kree, rather than an Inhuman.

As per last season, the Kree tried to create Inhumans as living weapons but for whatever reason abandoned the project. Last season, we had a Kree that came to Earth to eradicate Inhumans, only to be taken in by his own power to induce amnesia.

Big Blue has apparently discovered the existence of Inhumans and is on a similar search-and-destroy mission and is blasting away Inhumans.

In terms of being gay, I thought Mack was shown to be officially gay/bi as during the Hydra attack he seemed to have a boyfriend. Maybe that is me misremembering or reading something into the scene. In any event, maybe he and Captain Melty can have a romance going on.

Re: the FB page, I wonder if Daisy/Skye brought back her mad hacking skillz to help Bobbi find out that info. :)

• Love 1

I would assume it's that weird looking Inhuman we saw in this episode, which Wikipedia is telling is named Lash. He apparently leaves their holly city or something like that (I've never heard of the Inhumans before last season of SHIELD - I'm an amateur X -Men fan at best), looking for new Inhumans and judging them if they are worthy of their new powers. If in his opinion they are not, he kills them.

You would think that was something that they would explain in the show, and not require viewers to go look up.  As someone mentioned upthread, Lash did look somewhat like the creature on the airplane in the very first episode of 'Fringe'.

It still doesn't explain what 'Lash' was doing at the hospital -- was he going after Daisy ? Lincoln ? Another inhuman at the hospital ?  It just seemed weird that he conveniently showed up.  I also thought that the CGI for Lincoln's powers kind of sucked.  Skye/Daisy's powers seem to be rather inconsistent -- they previously showed that she could throw people and cars through the air, but someone couldn't move this Lash person at all.

Joey's powers seem pretty useless -- melts only certain metals within 3 meter range.  That doesn't explain the guy that was completely toasted in Joey's apartment or why the wooden door and wooden door frame were destroyed .  Was the implication that Joey went over the railing in his balcony -- so how did he survive the fall ?  I also don't get why the car exploded when he melted it -- it wasn't running at the time.

The new Bus is almost like a mini-helicarrier -- so where did the Quinjet dock ?  It wasn't on the top of the Bus, but somehow Skye/Daisy, Mac and Hunter managed to get onboard.  Does SHIELD still have control of the Helicarrier from Age of Ultron and the aircraft carrier ?  SHIELD still seems to be considered a rogue organization per the President's announcement, so where are they keeping everything ?

• Love 1

I think they are waiting for the Lash reveal, it's only the first episode so we have has much info as the characters. He was looking for an Inhuman, which one I don't know but he did ask the guy to tell him where the Inhuman was before he fried him. 

The Inhuman powers are not supposed to be good or helpful powers, they are supposed to be weapons that the Kree could just put places to destroy their enemies. I could also go with they are experiments and not all experiments are successes.  And of course the they can't use the abilities from the Inhumans that will be in the future movie.  

• Love 2

They must be furiously updating the Cautions on the fish oil supplements:

Caution: If you are pregnant or nursing, have alien DNA, taking medication, facing surgery, have bleeding problems, or undergoing any other treatment which may affect the ability of blood to clot, consult your physician before taking this product.

Given that no two people are alike, if you are taking any medications you should be aware that potential drug-nutrient interactions may occur and are encouraged to consult a health care professional before using this product. Combining certain prescription drugs and dietary supplements can lead to undesirable effects such as:

•     Diminished drug effectiveness
  •     Reduced supplement effectiveness
  •     Development of Inhuman abilities
  •     Containment by rogue agencies
  •     Termination by rogue agencies and/or others
  •     Impaired drug and/or supplement absorption
Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 20

This is a show that understands its fans. Lots of great references tossed in there. Coulson's grumpy cat mug. Continuity from the movies. 

Fitz melting down at the end was amazing.

New inhuman guy is all like, what is S.H.I.E.L.D?  Seriously, what rock has he been living under?  I know that he was once in the closet but how does the world go through the Battle of New York and the whole war with HYDRA and him not have one diddling clue what S.H.I.E.L.D is?

Yeah, that confused the hell out of me too.  A more logical reaction would have been to freak out, given how the Hydra incident reduced Shield's reputation to shit.

I'm curious as to how they are getting funding now.

So, Shield hasn't told anyone in authority about the fish oil problem?  Speaking of which, I'm curious about what the mists are doing to the fish life under the sea.  They strongly hinted at something in that regard.  Between that and having Simmons on another planet, I love how this show has opened up and embraced its comic book roots more.

Edited by benteen

The big blue guy we saw fighting Lincoln, Mack and Daisy was presumably a Kree, rather than an Inhuman.

As per last season, the Kree tried to create Inhumans as living weapons but for whatever reason abandoned the project. Last season, we had a Kree that came to Earth to eradicate Inhumans, only to be taken in by his own power to induce amnesia.

Big Blue has apparently discovered the existence of Inhumans and is on a similar search-and-destroy mission and is blasting away Inhumans

I disagree the Kree shown have been human looking, except for being blue. An Inhuman on the other hand can turn out looking like anything after terragenesis
  • Love 3

Yeah, that confused the hell out of me too.  A more logical reaction would have been to freak out, given how the Hydra incident reduced Shield's reputation to shit.

I'm curious as to how they are getting funding now.

So, Shield hasn't told anyone in authority about the fish oil problem?  Speaking of which, I'm curious about what the mists are doing to the fish life under the sea.  They strongly hinted at something in that regard.  Between that and having Simmons on another planet, I love how this show has opened up and embraced its comic book roots more.

They mentioned pulling all the supplements from the shelves, but that they couldn't hunt down every bottle purchased. Presumably they've involved the authorities for some sort of recall. 

They mentioned pulling all the supplements from the shelves, but that they couldn't hunt down every bottle purchased. Presumably they've involved the authorities for some sort of recall. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad Coulson isn't be a secretive dick on this one.

I think they are waiting for the Lash reveal, it's only the first episode so we have has much info as the characters. He was looking for an Inhuman, which one I don't know but he did ask the guy to tell him where the Inhuman was before he fried him. 

The Inhuman powers are not supposed to be good or helpful powers, they are supposed to be weapons that the Kree could just put places to destroy their enemies. I could also go with they are experiments and not all experiments are successes.  And of course the they can't use the abilities from the Inhumans that will be in the future movie.  

The producers and Marvel have been promo'ing that the character is in fact Lash.  But on the show itself the character and his motivations have not been officially revealed to our heroes.  

We learned in S2 with Vin-Tak in the Sif episode that the Kree thought the Inhumans to be an abomination.  Vin-Tak was trying to destroy the Inhumans that were on Earth.  They were a mistake that he needed to correct.  Which is why both Vin-Tak and Sif went after Skye. 

I disagree the Kree shown have been human looking, except for being blue. An Inhuman on the other hand can turn out looking like anything after terragenesis

The Kree are not entirely human looking.  While they do have humanoid features, they are distinctly different and seem to have variety in their species.  In the MCU they seem to be blue but in the comics they can be pink too.  In the AOS episode, Vin-Tak was using nitrogen to give himself the appearance on being human so that he wouldn't stand out while on Earth.  But he was naturally blue with V marking on his forehead. 

In Guardians of the Galaxy, Ronin the Accuser is a Kree.