Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Fallen Light

ShellSeeker

How come they are still at Fet's place when Eichhorst and Kelly knows where they are? I didn't like the flashbacks. They were a waste of precious airtime.

I was glad that Fet was cool when Dutch dumped him. He deserves a woman who loves him completely and I think that he knows this. Abraham is right about "Homeland," "Fatherland." I knew that the guy would back stab him. Nothing like greedy stupid humans. I am not surprised Justine has gotten sucked into the Master and Palmer's web. She was power hungry from the beginning. I find Coco's transformation unexpected though. I thought that she would be horrified over the Master, etc.

Ha, Quinlan knows Abraham so well. Of course, he is right not to trust him. However, I did not expect him to set Gus on him. The finale should be crazy good with Abraham, Quinlan/Gus, and Eichhorst all after the Lumen.

Gus and Angel releasing the prisoners so they can fight the strigoi was ridiculous and boring.

Nora is right about Zack, but I cannot blame Eph for not wanting to let him go. He has failed as a father and even now, he cannot seem to get it right. 

I don't get how a detective is still investigating crimes as the city spirals out of control. This show is so odd.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Gods, I have zero self control.  I keep forgetting to remove this show from my DVR and then find myself watching it.

Has there been a single flashback that has moved the story forward?  Has any flashback provided new information?  I can't imagine what sort of writer would think to himself, "gee, I bet people would like to know how Eph and Nora came to be boinking which will remind the audience that Eph and Kelly are divorced and there is this never ending custody battle happening which is apparently on hold just so we can show you some useless fucking flashback."

Garrrrtgh

• Love 3

As flashbacks go, this was one of them.

How did it move the story forward?  What new info about the characters or the vampires did we learn?  I wasn't all that tuned it so I probably missed a bunch.  

Jim!  Great to see him again, even if the main purpose of the flashbacks seemed to just showing us how Eph met Nora, which really isn't on top of my list of things I want to know about in the penultimate episode of the season.  But Sean Astin was fun, and Jim doesn't bring some much needed humor.  The downside, of course, was the return of Eph's hair.  As far as I'm concerned, the death of that thing was still the best thing the show could have ever done.

The resolution of the Dutch/Vasiliy/Nicki love triangle is also not on top of my list of things, but at least that ended in the most hilarious way possible.  Dutch basically picks Nicki over Vasiliy, and he handles it like a mature adult (yay!)  But then Dutch goes to find Nicki, only to discover she is abandoning her again, only this time with judgmental mommy.  Ha!  That's what you get for picking the sucky on, Dutch.  Once a runner, always a runner!  I wonder if Dutch is even going to try and rekindle things with Vasiliy.  Of course, I think Vasiliy might not be down with being her second choice, and will be content with holding off on any romance and just helping Abe get shit done.

So, are we suppose to think it was Palmer that killed the mayor and help Justine get power?  It sounds like she who he wants in charge.  It sucks since Justine really does seem to want to fix things, but it sounds like she's just a pawn in his game.  Surprised that Coco seems to be totally cool with being a vamp now.  Maybe too cool: after what I saw last week, she really shouldn't be antagonizing Eichorst. 

So, the endgame is that Marlo is holding an auction for the Lummen, Eichorst is bidding with Palmer's money, and Abe is going for it with the Ancient's backing.  But Quinlan doesn't trust him, so he's sending Gus, Angel, and his new recruits to take it from them.  And I'm guessing Palmer might try something too.  Really have no idea where the Lummen will end up after all this is taking care of.

Gold star to the camera man who quickly pulled the camera away from Zach's "crying", and focused on Nora's reaction instead.  Always a better idea to focus on someone who can actually act, so thanks for that.

• Love 2

So, um... Quinlan seriously expects Gus to stay focused on Abe long enough to get the book from him? Not likely.

Gus is so easily distracted that he brings a luchadore to a gunfight. And, yeah, it does work, but:

Plot armor? Yes.

Plot savvy? Not by a friggin' long shot.

I don't care about these flashbacks that shows why everyone is screwing who.  I'm irritated that a road trip with Zach, the worse teenager ever, is upcoming and Nora said Eph and her were messing around before they actually did because he was getting with her while his wife divorced him.

Seriously...there are incoming strigoli attacks all over the reclaimed places, an interesting auction, and the people that write this show thought people would care about Dutch and Eph's relationships?

I'm a bit confused about Angel's loyalty.  He questioned what's his face motives while he was helping the Indian girl with deliveries.  He went from that to being his chief enforcer at the jail?  What exactly inspired that?  Things like that could use some more airtime than Dutch leaves Fet in friendzone and gets turned down.

• Love 1

I can't believe this is the next to last episode -- and most of it was focused on plans to get Zach out of town.  What a waste !

The Master has been pretty much MIA for the last handful of episodes so we have no idea what he's really up to.  Sure, he popped in to give a dose of the white to Coco last episode, but that's it.

They finally introduced the National Guard setting up a command post in the city last episode, but apparently they aren't doing anything to clear the city because we still have this nonsense with Faraldo and her 1% tax on the 1%ers on the Lower East side.  Now that the mayor is dead, where's the deputy mayor to step in ?

How do Eph and Nora know anything about what's happening with the bioweapon, let alone that they have infected and killed a dozen Strigoi.  A dozen -- that's it ? We know they haven't been out actively monitoring any Strigoi activities, so how did they find out this information ?

Umm, how did Gus and Angel know where to find his brother on Rikers Island ?  Rikers is a huge prison, even Gus noted that there were 14,000 inmates on an average day.

And by the way, there are still buildings on fire in Manhattan.  Why is no one putting them out ?

Nicki looked huge while standing out on the sidewalk with Dutch. Plus she was wearing that large coat and a ton of scarves.  And everything in Brooklyn Heights looked completely normal -- people walking down the streets, car traffic, etc.

I found it weird that Faraldo's office is apparently at some fancy high-end store that deals in art, fashion and jewelery show -- how are these things still open ?  With customers and staff acting like everything is normal -- WTF ?

Where did all these anti-Faraldo protesters come from ?  Because none of them looked like 1%ers protesting the tax.  And they couldn't all be from either Staten Island or Red Hook.  Are these the same people that she rallied in Red Hook to battle the Strigoi ?    Justine Faraldo = Fascist, No Police State, Stop the Killing  -- do the protesters realize that they are only killing Strigoi ?  The people infected with the so-called plague.

Coco doesn't seem freaked out at all by the means of her resurrection -- she was all touchy-feely with Palmer.  Which continues to be creepy.

I figure that Nora wanted to accompany Eph and Zach to D.C. so that she could throw Eph from the train.  Or maybe throw Zach from the train -- just because he sucks.  Or maybe both.

Where is Quinlan staying -- because it seems like a pretty nice place.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

How did it move the story forward?  What new info about the characters or the vampires did we learn?  I wasn't all that tuned it so I probably missed a bunch.  

I think you missed my point. I'm saying the same thing you're saying. It was a flashback and not a very good/memorable one.

• Love 1

Justine Faraldo = Fascist, No Police State, Stop the Killing  -- do the protesters realize that they are only killing Strigoi

Right, but then they had Abraham come along and implicitly compare her to a fascist.  The writers keep dropping those sorts of insinuations and then backing off from them. I wish they'd either stop that or go for it (so I can be disgusted because there's no good reason to go there).

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

This episode felt like filler.  It's taken us how many episodes to get to the Lumen and we're still not there yet?  And how many episodes to make the bioweapon a usable weapon?  When certain characters can disappear for 2-3 episodes at a time, maybe that's a clue for the writers they should trim down the cast and focus on who's left.  I'm looking at you Gus, Quinlain, Kelly, Master (I'm not saying to delete those characters, but that the writers should decide which of them are worthy of appearing every episode).  And I'm a bit worried that the writers have a cop-out available of saying the Lumen wasn't all that useful after all and Season 3 will focus on a new MacGuffin which could make this season an even bigger waste of time.

I'd like the show to tell us more about the bigger picture while still keeping a reasonably tight focus.  Right now, humans have reclaimed Staten Island and Red Hook with plans for the Upper East Side.  How about the rest of NYC, has Queens become a barren wasteland?  Moderately dangerous at night?  Relative normalcy?  Not to mention the rest of the country.  I'd settle for a quick glimpse of a map that shows relative Vampire levels in the region.  This frustrated about other apocalyptic shows too. They tend to focus so narrowly on the characters' immediate surroundings that we lose sight of the bigger picture. And sure, we had scenes that Washington, D.C. is relatively normal which implies that the vampires are contained to Manhattan and Long Island, but I'd like for the show to tell us that.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 2

Faraldo continues to be my favorite thing about this show. I do not get where the show is getting off with calling her a fascist, then showing her in a consistently heroic light. Yeah, some of her methods are extreme, and she is rather militant thinking, but she`s also the only person in power who is actually DOING anything! She`s the one actually acting like they are in crisis mode, and behaving accordingly. I also really like the police chief who works with her. I like his steady loyalty to her.

The flashbacks were boring as hell. I do not care at all about Eph and Nora. I am more into the possibility of Fet/Nora. Way more appealing than Eph/Nora or Fet/Dutch. Of course, why were are devoting so much time to romance subplots instead of, you know, fighting vampires, I have no idea.

This episode could have just been the Faraldo stuff, and I would have been fine with just that.  

• Love 1

Thank you, all. I've taken to reading this thread before watching the episode, to see if I should bother or not. Didn't bother last week, and not again this week. If the season finale sucks, I'm done. These writers drag on more than the books, and waste time on subplots no one cares about (seriously why does Coco  exist on this show other than to gross us out when she's with that troll?), no thanks.

• Love 1

I like Faraldo and the police officer standing by her.  I'm sure they're both doomed.  I figured she would be framed for the mayor's murder, but then Palmer stepped in.  Interesting, is he trying to consolidate power against the Master somehow?  I think the the "fascist" stuff is obviously all stirring ups by...someone.   Whatever Palmer is planning, he is wrong to think the Master cares about politics or money.  The Master will take out him and everyone connected with him when he doesn't have use for them.  Eichorst and Palmer face to face is always good, with a new tough talking CoCo.  Again, I wonder why Eichorst doesn't go into the auction with a bunch of vamps and take the Lumen?  Why bother with an auction?   So a bunch of vamps get killed, big deal.

FFd through Nora/Eph in the past - really, who cares??  Waste of Sean Astin and waste of screen time.  I was only a bit interested in Dutch/Fet because like last week, Ruda Gedmintas was very effective and I felt badly for her then and in her scene with Nikki.  Hopefully that's the end of these emotional conflicts, ugh snoozzze.

Just bring Quinlan in to wipe out most of the greedy guys who have the Lumen.  Problem solved.  Plus did I hear right?  Setrakian was carrying around a $1M watch?  Quinlan is indeed staying in some fancy digs.  I like Setrakian but don't blame Quinlan for not trusting him.  It's funny to hear them talk ominously about the Master when we haven't seen him in forever and when we do, he doesn't really do anything.

Prison's been overrun and no one notices?  Don't prisons communicate with other law enforcement daily?  Who locked the guards up, the vampires were saving them for later maybe?  Too many questions I know.  One more - the tough guy prisoners, armed, were cowed by one old guy with a bad leg and a shotgun, I guess because he shot their leader?  I guess it's OK, we need red shirts for fighting.

He has failed as a father and even now, he cannot seem to get it right.

I'm actually interested in Eph's emotional conflict here and how it will impact the vampire fighting.  It's better to send Zach away, but will Eph screw that up trying to fix things, when he should be concentrating on the cure.  Nora, dump Eph after hopefully dropping off Zach and then go have some comfort sex with Fet; you'll feel better.

Uneven episode.  Hope we get a lot of fighting next week, I see more adversaries making grand statements at each other in the preview though!

Edited by raven

Dutch looks so much better without the tons of eyeliner.  The fact that that's the thing I found most memorable about this episode tells you how little I thought of it. 

The poor the pacing of this show is so frustrating. In the penultimate episode for the season we got a series of flashbacks that told us nothing that we didn't already know. 

If it weren't for Robert Sammel/Eichorst, I would have probably checked out by now.

For all of the bad hair on this show (Was that a wig, or a just an unflattering hairstyle Mia Maestro was sporting in the flashback?), I've got to give props to Gus, who has managed to keep that number one nice and tight even as the world burns.

This show has me face palming a lot. So the city is over run with creatures and rverything is supposedly going to hell in a handbasket. right. But we have seen the buses and trains running, phone lines and Internet are fine. I guess I shouldn't try to be too logical about it all. The most unbelievable part is Coco is still into Great-Grandpa, she must have a weird fetish or serious Daddy issues. Yuck!

• Love 3

So how did the prisoners stay alive and apparently in good shape after how many days without food/water? 

The flashbacks were absolutely pointless.

Getting Zach to his grandparents wasn't completely pointless if it gets rid of him for good.

Curious to see what Palmer is up to, backing the woman for mayor who's fighting against the vamps.  Chuckled when he found out 'the white' is not permanent, but needs to be re-administered now and again.

Dutch chose poorly.

• Love 1

Dutch chose poorly

Boy did she ever!  How she cannot wait to jump Fet every chance she got is beyond me.  But no, she picks a girlfriend that has zero personality and seems to be covering up a pregnancy or something is going on under all those scarves and coats.  And to top it off said girlfriend is once again leaving her.   

Lets get on with it now.  This episode served no purpose really.  So lets get on with the Vampire Wars!

This episode was much better then the last......so Zach is going to live with grandparents?!..yeah, right I don't think that is going to happen....bet he gets taken by his "loving mother" in the next episode!...LOL...so glad that the love triangle from hell is finally OVER!!!...I am down for a Fet/Nora hookup, but it probably won't happen until next season...although the prison escape/rescue was kind of cool...those guys are so not trustworthy!!

I suppose the one good thing about Zach going on the road with Eph is that the little shit's chances of survival plummet.

No, I'm pretty sure Strigoi Mom will come into the picture if he's on the road with Eph.  I wish they'd just shipped him off to Virginia w/o any of the main characters involved - THEN the little shit would truly be off the show.

Why is Detective Hardass insisting to Faraldo that nobody's gonna get away with nuthin on his watch when a warlord has completely taken over Roosevelt Island? which is almost literally a stone's throw from the superrich Upper East Side?  Certainly it is literally a  very short motorboat ride.  

Why did they ever bring on the Silver Angel if they're NOT EVER GOING TO HAVE HIM HUNT VAMPIRES?  I know, I know, I'm the one. They gave him the most KILLER introduction imaginable and....what?  Apparently I like Gus and Silver Angel so much more than the writers.  I LOVE the Santo movies and this is an even bigger disappointment to me than Unbearable Zach and Drunken Incompetent Eph.  

• Love 1

Whoever directed this episode was obsessed with face close ups.

I constantly forget that The Master is the Big Bad of the show. Seriously, he barely registers as a character, let alone any one to be worried about.

You guys? I cannot adequately describe how hard I laughed when Nora said Zach's grandparent's called. She was so casual about it and it was the most random fucking thing.

Show? I tell you this every week, I don't think you're very good, but why in the name of all that is decent are you wasting time on relationship bullshit? Whhyyyyyy? How much time has passed since the pilot? It feels like it hasn't been that long to me, but whenever Fet and Dutch say anything about loving each other I immediately think that they are insane because they just met each other. Same for Gus and that random girl at the restaurant. Anyway......

I don't care if Fet wants to fuck Dutch or Nora. I don't care if Dutch wants to fuck Fet or Nikki (hahah, I typed Kelly at first!). I don't care if Nikki wants to fuck Dutch or a pile of maternity clothes. I don't care if Nora wants to fuck Eph or Fet. I definitely don't want to know anything sex related about Palmer and Coco. And I don't want to know if Setrakian tries to fuck the Lumen.

That being said.........Really, Dutch? Nikki is just as much of a waste of space as Zach. Also, she appears to be hiding a pregnancy in addition to ditching you in a crisis (twice now) stealing your money and stealing your fancy Kill The Internet software. I know Fet shellacs his hair with shoe polish, but come on. The only positive thing I have to say about that whole mess is that Ruta Gedmintas is really gorgeous under all that eye makeup.

Why can't we go back to our group of hot people who just killed vombies? Sure it was still silly, but it's better than this nonsense.

So, I still don't understand how nesting vombies work? Yet again our peeps stumble on a nest and make "shhhh" gestures at one another and then proceed to ...... talk in front of the nest and they don't wake up. Then, Gus chats with a guard around the corner and they don't wake up. Then, Gus unlocks a bunch of fucking cells which makes a ton of noise and they don't wake up. Then, they toss a bunch of weapons on tables and have a meeting making more noise and they don't wake up. Buuuuut, they wake up when they decide to kill the guard. I know they fired a gun, but those dummies made a shitload of noise before that.

The Impeach Justine protesters were super weird because those looked like the people who were helping her kill vombies........not a bunch of wealthy people. Why doesn't Justine just peace out of Manhattan if they don't pay?

I both love and am baffled by the fact that Marlo has tapped into the post-vombie apocalypse black market demand for antiques and paintings. I was giggling like a fool at the stuff in his . . . place of business.

Gods, I have zero self control.  I keep forgetting to remove this show from my DVR and then find myself watching it.

I'm so relieved to learn I'm not the only one this is happening to. I seriously forget about this show after I post here. Then, I inevitably see it on my DVR and think "Well, I wonder what kind of stupid happened on The Strain this week?"

Those flashbacks were fantastic... for anyone who missed seeing Corey Stoll with a tribble on his head.

Eph's Fright Wig is an agent of pure evil. Corey Stoll is so good looking and that wig not only kills all of his sexiness, it digs a grave, unceremoniously kicks The Hot into it, covers it up and tap dances on its handywork. 

I haven't yet watched this episode, but I don't want a fantasy world where Palmer is getting some and Fet isn't.  Go get it, Nora.

Look, I know a lot of our intrepid heroes are stone-cold morons, but I don't want a fantasy world where Palmer is seemingly getting it more than Fet, Dutch, Nora, Eph, and Gus.

Every time Coco (I still can't with that name) and Palmer are on screen together I think "Please, don't make out." The slightest notion that they may have even the most vague kind of sexual, or sexual adjacent, contact is the most terrifying thing about this show.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 2

Aside from the usual mind boggling aspects of this show like people still going about their lives like nothing is happening, is the fact that the showrunners are still laboring under the belief that people actually like and care about Ephraim and Nora as a couple and as individuals. I find them beyond boring and pointless and hope that they and Zach just get written off the show as nothing they do interests me or moves the story forward. Far too often, the episodes I like the least feature them the most. IMO they lift right out.

Felt, Abraham and Gus remain my favorite characters. I hope Fet finds someone who truly loves him and that when Dutch inevitably comes crawling back to use him as her emotional prop again, he dismisses her. I hope Abraham lives long enough to see his quest completed. I hope Gus can find some sense of normal when all of this is done. I like Quinlin as well.

• Love 1

Yeah, like so many of you, I just can't seem to quit this show. I'm still watching. And then I catch myself watching and I get all embarrassed but... yeah. Still here.

I'm still frustrated that the best actors seem to get the least to do. I love Sammell as Eichorst, even if he kind of got character-screwed last episode (which I thought had some great moments but was clumsily written), I adore Penry-Jones as Quinlan (who they've barely used, dammmit, despite all the incredible charisma the guy has), I love Durand and Gedmintas as Fet and Dutch, but instead we spend DECADES on useless boring characters like Gus and Zach and Palmer, etc. And the Gus subplot this episode was just so weird and random and unbelievable. (Note: I like Corey Stoll but Eph is such an ass I can barely tolerate him.)

And I'm still not understanding why Quinlan didn't ally himself with Setrakian and his fearless vamp hunters. He met them, he kicked ass, they showed themselves to be capable... Even if they made him miss one chance at the Master, I don't get why he's so invested in Gus building some convict army when he has a small army of trained vombie killers already in the Scooby Gang.

I was also incredibly annoyed at the retcon that Eph and Nora were not ACTUALLY having an affair when Kelly slammed the divorce down, but instead they had just evidently been giving each other longing looks or something? WTF? It was CLEARLY established in S1 that there was a full-blown affair going on, and that Eph was responsible for trashing his marriage.

On the plus side, I still love Justine, and think Samatha Mathis is doing a smashing job in her performance. She manages to be tough as well as tender, and likable as well as a total ball-buster. Also, because I am a hopeless shipper of all things, I immediately shipped her with her loyal commander. Sigh. (I just want everyone to be happy! Except Zach. And Palmer. And the Master...)

However: I feel like the show's all over the place logistically. The city looks normal in most of the scenes yet fiery and crumbling in others. A detective saunters in to imply that Justine is a murderer (on absolutely zero evidence) while meanwhile criminals are killing with impunity and taking over whole blocks and sections (and islands) without resistance. Or even the small things -- why the retcon about Eph and Nora's affair? Why didn't Zach (no matter how awful his horrible imp-faced child actor) tell his grandparents the reason he was breaking down was that his mother was infected?

But NOBODY on this show acts logically. It's so weird. If Quinlan is concerned about Setrakian, why doesn't he go to him and talk to the group directly? Why use the well-meaning but utterly boring Gus as a go-between? He knows how capable Setrakian is. What a waste for them not to have scenes together.

And especially with Justine, like it felt like the show suddenly wants to paint her as this despotic power-hungry egomaniac when I simply see her as desperate to do anything that will get the job done in the midst of, you know, a freaking VAMPIRE APOCALYPSE. But instead we get people who are evidently waiting around bored enough in the vamp apocalypse to paint signs about her being a fascist and to then picket her ass on a moment's notice. Seriously? This woman just made what should have been national news risking her life and putting her money where her mouth was, saving a neighborhood and doing what she promised. Would people really picket the one person actually helping to get rid of the vamps?

But again, then there's that stupid detective. Like, he's running around the city writing murders on his white board and blatantly accusing Justine of murder on absolutely zero evidence, again, in a vampire apocalypse?

I just don't get the writers of this show at all. 

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 1

I don't get how a detective is still investigating crimes as the city spirals out of control. This show is so odd.

That's the thing, the city doesn't seem like it's spiraling out of control.  There's power, water, buses still run, businesses are open and police still patrol the streets.  Besides, I'd like to think that the mayor's death would warrant investigation even in the middle of a crisis.