Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/21/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

You guys, Paula is nothing like Candace. I think Candace is way, way more right wing/conservative and extremely religious. TPTB LOVED it when CCB fought with Raven about the company that didn't want to make cakes for the gay couples, because it made the news everywhere. Paula may be conservative too but Candace goes off the rails when she feels passionate about certain topics; I haven't seen Paula do that yet.

• Love 6

Honestly I dont think Michelle is funny..... I think she was hired because she has a similar act as Joy... minus the humor...... Once Joy signed on they were already stuck with Michelle.

I really like Paula.... but from what I have seen so far she really isnt all that good at interviews.... kinda ironic considering she is a journalist.

Raven annoys me the most though.... She acts like a kid when she is not any longer.... It seems rather foolish.

Whoopi does seem better.... it has to have something to do with Joy.... which is very appreciated.

• Love 6

First, Paula isn't a journalist. She's a broadcaster; not the same thing at all.

And second, STFU, Paula! No, there is NOTHING I should admire about that twit, Kim Davis. So what if she's not "repaying evil with evil." She's still wrong; she's still taking money from people who she is supposed to help. That is, it's ALL of the citizens of Rowan County that pay her fucking salary, and she's taking that money, but refusing to do the job required. She thinks God's law trumps everything? Fine, go become a missionary and do God's work.  And it wasn't the "piece of paper" that gave that one couple dignity, you asshat. 

For some reason, I thought this igit actually came to the show for the interview. But still, she is NOT staying out of the spotlight because she's still talking to the press/media, isn't she?  And it's not just her refusing to sign her name, she took all the licenses and altered them so that it has the language of said license as a result or per a court order. Something like that. And now the ACLU has petitioned the judge for a hearing on this.  But Paula just felt the need to defend Davis, and I just wanted her to shut up! Now she's uttering "compassion" like she was uttering "resonance" and "resonating." UGH.

That said, I do love her wardrobe and her shoes!

And it was great to see Dr. Ruth! I met her, you know. My second year of college, she came to speak to the students about safe sex. I was there to write an article for the college paper as part of a class assignment (I was a Journalism Major).  Got her book and she signed it and we had a wonderful conversation. She really is as sweet as she appears.

And also? Shut up Lee Daniels about the "whoop whoop" already. Whoopi must have some serious blackmail on all these folks that keep licking her ass.

That's all I have right now.

• Love 14

I like Paula but  really only know her from her overnight anchoring duties on World News Now. She was pleasant enough there - no real interviewing - just reporting the news and lightening up the sleepless hours. It makes sense they would place a newby from the news dept. on The Spew.

After the tumultuous last season, TPTB were scrambling to revamp, and  I believe Paula was chosen during the hiring/replacement frenzy. Well, that only filled the clown car to capacity with no real structure. I think Michelle was only officially signed after Joy all but refused to return. Now with Joy back, there is no need for Michelle - who never had a chance to grow on me anyway. She just seems to be extra annoying baggage.

Tho still not up to par, I like that they've made Raven more visually appealing and basically relegated her to minor, newby duties like reading those godawful, unnecessary Tweets.

In keeping with the show's screwy tradition of having a ditzy, right-winger to shake things up, CCB was swiftly brought on board. Fortunately, she's been busy filming that remake that's going to bomb hard, but hopefully TPTB will see that the gimmicky shtick is no longer a must-have for this show. Sure, it can be snarkable fun but it's just not productive. And I'll be the first to admit I'm drawn to the fireworks.

Paula was not brought on the show to represent what was intended for CCB, but since Paula has revealed her religious side, her possible right-leaning tendencies(?), maybe - just maybe - she can fill that role and GASP! be a halfway logical voice for the right-wing, which is what this show has needed forever.

Just let Michelle and CCB quietly slip away, phase Whoopi out by 2016, and maybe the show can be watchable again.

JMO and speculation. YMMV

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 11

I personally think Paula seems to get along with everyone at the table. Whenever the show goes to commercial, she's reaching over and talking to Joy or to Raven, and she isn't as hateful or superior as Elisabeth always was with the other co-hosts. When she and the others are disagreeing, there isn't the same heavy tension as with Elisabeth where it always felt like the others wanted to strangle her.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I prefer her to Nicolle from last year, who rarely seemed to give any genuine opinions. If there is another season, I really hope Joy and Paula are both a part of it.

• Love 10

As cringe-worthy as Paula's "miniview" was with Kim Davis, would that be considered a "get" for this show?

What we saw was a segment of an interview that was done for Nightline.

Lee Daniels is in all kinds of hot water with Sean Penn for comparing him to Terrence Howard, I'm not sure if Penn filed his lawsuit before or after Daniels' appearance on tehSpew though.

But Michelle can just shut it. Nothing exciting happened at the Emmys? I would say that ViolaFucking!Davis, being the first Black Woman to win an Emmy for LEADING ACTRESS in a Drama series is a Big.Fucking.Deal! But I really am surprised that Raven at least, didn't bring up the fact of Nancy Lee Grahn's racist tweets. Like Grahn would know for a fact whether Viola has never been discriminated against. Or that she called Viola a "rich" actress. Ugh. I'll stop now before my head explodes.

I hardly ever do this, but I decided to tweet Nancy Lee Grahn saying that somehow I missed that she was born Black in the 60's South.  Get a clue.

• Love 6

I hardly ever do this, but I decided to tweet Nancy Lee Grahn saying that somehow I missed that she was born Black in the 60's South.  Get a clue.

Good for you..... did it make you feel better about the issue??

You will have to tell us if you get a response

• Love 1

Why is Raven wearing a loaf of French bread on her head today?

Because she's RAVEN!  so fashion-forward -  A different hairstyle every day!  she's going through a  food theme right now - sausage!  cotton candy!  Bread!   What next -   Nachos?  Pizza? Maybe a stir-fry?  ice cream sundae?   tune in and see. 

• Love 5

Because she's RAVEN!  so fashion-forward -  A different hairstyle every day!  she's going through a  food theme right now - sausage!  cotton candy!  Bread!   What next -   Nachos?  Pizza? Maybe a stir-fry?  ice cream sundae?   tune in and see. 

There is a crafter in Brooklyn (offerings on Etsy too) that does hair accessories influenced by bakery items (the real bakery items are a lot cheaper)- A loaf of french bread isn't among the offerings though!

I really like Paula.... but from what I have seen so far she really isnt all that good at interviews.... kinda ironic considering she is a journalist.

She only plays one on TV.  Her degree is in "broadcasting", not journalism.  

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/paula-faris-biography/story?id=15213528

Faris, a Jackson, Michigan native, attended Cedarville University in Ohio and graduated Cum Laude with a degree in Broadcasting.  She resides in New York City with her husband and three young children.

• Love 2

Molly Sims hasn't been on the show yet this season, thankfully. So far the only noticeable ones to appear have been Sherri and Stacey. Unless it's Padma, I hope we're spared the contributors tomorrow.

I had the show on the background on the off chance the pope coverage ended--what's annoying is they didn't bother to interrupt FABLife before it, which would've been fine with me. Anyway, it came on right in the middle of Whoopi giving one of her diatribes. "You young people!!" I'm not sure she should mock young people when talking down to Raven considering she's a piss-poor example of the older generation herself. 

Michelle is better with guests than Rosie Perez/Nicolle (imo), but she says, "That's hilarious!" at the drop of a hat.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3
Michelle is better with guests than Rosie Perez/Nicolle (imo), but she says, "That's hilarious!" at the drop of a hat.

And usually it's not.  The way she says it implies that she doesn't really think so either.  

Our local station showed the Pope's address so we missed Tepid Topics too, but the rest of the show was soooo boring.  Man, they really cannot book high profile guests, can they?  Only a handful of ABC actors and a bunch of internet "stars."

• Love 3

I enjoyed hearing Joy call out Whoopi for using that affected voice. More of that, please.

I am so glad I caught this, too because I rarely, if ever, bother to tune in anymore.   Hey Amber --- Go fuck yourself.

I think this was also the day that Joy told her "Matinee joke" again for the 1000th time.

I could tell she was going there before she even said it.

Oh Joy, don't ever change. 

The reason I barely watch anymore is because I can't stand the Special Snowflake that is Oh, so Raven!  Ugh.  She is insufferable.  Thinks anything & everything that comes out her mouth is brilliant.  I read The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner this summer; a novel based on her real-life experience of producing a tv show called State of Georgia starring Miss Precocious Herself and it was not flattering to Miss Oh, so Raven AT ALL.  Jennifer had such a horrible time trying to work with Raven and her mother because they were such whiny nightmares that she pretty much just says at the back of the book that Raven ruined the entire experience for her and everyone involved with the show.

Who knew I could hate someone MORE than Whoopi???  I would never have believed it.  Honestly.

I hope whatever Joy is getting out of this is worth it to her.  Because I have only been able to watch a handful of shows since she has returned and I haven't enjoyed even one of them.  This show's ship has sailed so many times, I am not sure why she would jump back on board again.  If it was for the money, I hope she is making a boatload of it and that it is worth it to her.

Oh, and edited to add:  Joy looks FABULOUS!!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7

Have I lost what remains of my mind because I don't remember that Molly Sims was hired. She was on Meridith the other day and they talked about it.  How many sit ins or permanent guest hosts do they need?

I caught that, too.  Vapid much, Molly?  There was no there there.  What is she going to add to the show? 

Ahhh!  How sneaky!  When Molly was on Meredith she raved about this Cool Sculpting thing but never once said that she was a paid-spokesperson for it.  And looky here, now she is on The View as suddenly a paid spokesperson for it and oh, you can read alllll about it in .... her new book!  No thanks, Molly.  I am sure I would get more out of watching a wall of paint dry. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 3

Crap!

The same thing here.

Everything was sailing right along -- no Whoopi or Sherri -- Raven's French bread-on-the-head  from yesterday was twisted to more closely resemble a crescent dinner roll -- Joy's moderating, and we're gonna get some damning OJ video after the break, then BAM!

Here come da pope.

• Love 4

The pope on TV took over the Boehner breaking news this morning. I did read about it earlier. More details are being released by the hour.

I did like Joy's political view segment. It was a nice callback to her HLN show.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 4

Holy Crap.... (no pun intended)..... Boehner is resigning from Congress.... why has that not been big news??

We had to find out on The View??

Had to hear about it on the radio since non-stop pope coverage all week. Surely all other religions will be given equal time to monopolize the airwaves. Oh wait! Boehner said he wanted to retire after the last term but stayed because ERic Cantor lost and he felt he had to stay. At least I got to see some of the View before it went to NY pope coverage.

• Love 1

If we have to have a younger female panelist..a single younger panelist...I'd pick Michelle over Raven. At least Michelle has some ability to think and express her thoughts. She just needs to tone down on inserting a joke so much.

Paula seems likable..though I thought Nicole seemed more fun. I wouldn't have minded seeing nicole as moderator once..she seemed good at the peacemaking role especially during the candace and raven exchange.

• Love 2

I think I'm friends with The View again. As with friends, the show can annoy and tick me off at times, but I still want to spend time with them.

• Joy being on the show makes a positive difference for me. And, yes, she does look fabulous, Cementhead.
  • I prefer Joy as the moderator (by far) over Whoopi, but Whoopi's acting more normal than she had been.
  • I compared to The Talk, and that show is soooo boring. 
  • Overall, the Viewer group is a better mesh. Unfortunately, Michelle's a troublesome weak link with her pointless interjections.
  • I wouldn't be upset to see Michelle and Whoopi leave, but they're not deal-breakers for me. Yet.

For me, so far so good. I see promise.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 7

Crap!

The same thing here.

Everything was sailing right along -- no Whoopi or Sherri -- Raven's French bread-on-the-head  from yesterday was twisted to more closely resemble a crescent dinner roll -- Joy's moderating, and we're gonna get some damning OJ video after the break, then BAM!

Here come da pope.

For those interested, the OJ tapes are the subject on tonight's 20/20 at 10:00.  Hopefully, the Pope will be asleep by then!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 5

Looking forward to CCB next week on the panel--should be interesting to see all of them (?) together (again) and some ~sparks~ in NotTopics.

although Joy did make a throwaway comment to the Politician today (who I believe was a former fill-pin panelists in Joys' old days, Amy Holmes) that she would only be on Friday. Or did I mishear what Joy said?

Looking forward to CCB next week on the panel--should be interesting to see all of them (?) together (again) and some ~sparks~ in NotTopics.

although Joy did make a throwaway comment to the Politician today (who I believe was a former fill-pin panelists in Joys' old days, Amy Holmes) that she would only be on Friday. Or did I mishear what Joy said?

You didn't hear Joy wrong. She said she had something to do next week but would be on Friday's show. 

I am not looking forward to CCB's arrival. I don't want to watch the kind of "sparks" she creates again.

• Love 6

No, you didn't mishear.  Joy said she was off doing something else next week (she didn't specify what) but she would be back in the moderator's chair on Friday.

• Love 1

For those interested, the OJ tapes are the subject on tonight's 20/20 at 10:00.  Hopefully, the Pope will be asleep by then!

Unaware of all the "Breaking News" related to the pope when I first read this (quick check in from work)- I was wondering

"Why does the pope need to avoid the tapes?"  I sure am laughing at myself this evening!

• Love 4