Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Steelers need to lose soon, but their schedule looks weak the next few weeks so blah.

Hate to see the Bills lose but what a catch by Hopkins and throw by Kyler Murray. You can’t defend that. Arizona seems like they made the right decision going with Kyler instead of Rosen. 

What is going on in Seattle.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Holey moley, the end of the Cardinals game. Great pass by Kyler Murray but Hopkins' catch in all that heat was unbelievable. It made me think of this Clifford Franklin quote from the football comedy movie, The Replacements:

https://youtu.be/ozGNfNsnX6g (NSFW)

"The football was like a one-man cold to DeAndre Hopkins. DeAndre Hopkins was the only one catching it. DeAndre Hopkins was the only one coming down with it."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Unfortunately Big Blue already has seven losses so 9-7 is on the table, 10-6 is sadly not.

Whoops!  I knew their bye was next week too, which means they completed their tenth game today.  My fault!

I really enjoyed Jonathan Vilma as the color guy.  He tried very hard to be positive towards both teams, even if Cincinnati did their very best to make it a near impossible task.

Chris Spieleman, on the other hand, sucked.  I have no idea why he has a bias towards Philadelphia, but he didn’t try in any way to hide it.

• Love 2

There's an offensive lineman on the Giants who has cleats customized to look like Chuck Taylor high tops. Nice.

ETA I know that Mike Tomlin got fined for not wearing a face covering. Will that same standard be applied to Belichick? He treated his gaiter like it was a necklace through the game.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

ETA I know that Mike Tomlin got fined for not wearing a face covering. Will that same standard be applied to Belichick? He treated his gaiter like it was a necklace through the game.

I probably won't waste time getting upset if (and when) he isn't fined for it.  While the randomness of the NFL discipline is just that, I think organizations like the Steelers and unlike the Raiders will do the right thing.  In doing so, whatever New England does is their business.  It will be a bad look since I saw Belichick without one but can't recall the Steelers not wearing theirs.  They didn't but I didn't see the violation on television

Speaking of Bill, and based on what I saw online, it's been a long time, maybe close to six years since Pittsburgh was happy for the Patriots for a game.  And I think it's a first that the New England "pulled the upset against the Baltimore Ravens"

I’ve probably seen 75 different versions of the meme of Kyler scrambling and the caption saying “fuck, D-Hop is probably out there somewhere” and it makes me laugh every time.

Also that pic of his Jumpman gloves is very effective advertising, without spending a dime.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That catch by Deandre Hopkins is one of the best I've ever seen.  He had three guys surrounding him and outjumped them all to make the catch for the win. 

I never thought Buffalo Arizona in week 10 would be such a thrilling game

I never thought Buffalo/Arizona would be such a thrilling game, period.  If you'd ask me two years ago, definitely not.  Both the Bills and the Cardinals are improving.  It is refreshing to have both teams doing well and playing meaningful football, especially in mid-November.  Arizona needed that more than Buffalo's game-winner that turned out to be not that. 

Those heroics gave New England life for the AFC East after Baltimore's loss.  Nothing too significant, but everything went right if the Patriots were to rally to win a 12th consecutive division title.  Right now I wouldn't bet Buffalo to have a 2008 Denver Broncos collapse, but on the bright side, New England might have an outside shot as a wild-card, thanks to a 7th spot (and possibly an 8th spot).

The awards are still 2.5 months away, but as of November 16th, 2020, I think Deandre Hopkins just clinched the Bridgestone Performance Play of the Year (or whomever is this season's sponsor)

5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Those heroics gave New England life for the AFC East after Baltimore's loss.

You're forgetting about 6-3 Miami.

No I'm not.  Several people have said to watch out for Miami.  I respect that; the Dolphins can win the AFC East.  At the very least they put themselves in position to do so. 

The problem is their schedule, down the road.  Their next three games aren't too bad.  However, it doesn't look pretty after Week 13.  They still have the Chiefs on their schedule.  It's a toss up with the Pats, though I like their chances.  New England struggles in Miami.  Vegas isn't your old Raiders (as in most of this century.  They were good in the 70s & 80s, early 90s and from 2000-2002); that's across the country at Allegiant.

It might come down to the Dolphins & the Bills controlling their own destiny.  The thing that's tough is playing in Orchard Park in January.  Otherwise, I might tend to lean toward Miami

I think New Orleans will be okay without Brees.  They proved that in the past.  Looking at their schedule, they could win out until Kansas City, maybe drop a game or two.  It would suck if they fell behind Tampa after sweeping them.  If I had to guess, it'll 3-5 games for Drew

Quick question, or concern: I read something elsewhere where someone stated, "Buffalo shows HC Sean McDermott the door after the conclusion of last night's Cardinals-Buffalo game."  I can't explain that if I had to go onto the radio or television.  I saw that in the AM.  Maybe that came from a source more elite and inside over folks like Glazer, Schefty, and Rap Sheet.  But as mentioned, that was this morning, so if that is valid, they would've said something by now 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Quick question, or concern: I read something elsewhere where someone stated, "Buffalo shows HC Sean McDermott the door after the conclusion of last night's Cardinals-Buffalo game."  I can't explain that if I had to go onto the radio or television.  I saw that in the AM.  Maybe that came from a source more elite and inside over folks like Glazer, Schefty, and Rap Sheet.  But as mentioned, that was this morning, so if that is valid, they would've said something by now 

No team is going to fire a coach who is 7-3 and leading their division unless they discovered something atrocious about him.

To be fair, Payton is a better coach than Arians, definitely more accomplished.  New Orleans has players, Tampa hardly had anything in 2019 compared to this year where Brady forced the 2020 Dream Team on the Buccaneers.  If Winston does what he did last year, Hill will be inserted in no time.  It's not like Drew was returning next year anyway.  However, his injury is not season-ending, but I doubt he'll be doing much going forward.  Ben Roethlisberger had a similar injury 8 years ago, and he went from an MVP candidate to nothing.  Big Ben was 30 in 2012, Brees is 41 this year

5 hours ago, Carey said:

I think New Orleans will be okay without Brees.  They proved that in the past.  Looking at their schedule, they could win out until Kansas City, maybe drop a game or two.  It would suck if they fell behind Tampa after sweeping them.  If I had to guess, it'll 3-5 games for Drew

Why would you blame the coach for that loss?  Murray And hopkins just made an unbelievable, improbable play. There were THREE defenders on hopkins.  It's not like he was wide open.  And murray threw up a prayer while running for his life. 

Fluke things happen in this league.  Ti all teams and coaches. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Why would you blame the coach for that loss?  Murray And hopkins just made an unbelievable, improbable play. There were THREE defenders on hopkins.  It's not like he was wide open.  And murray threw up a prayer while running for his life. 

Fluke things happen in this league.  Ti all teams and coaches. 

When did I blame the coach for Buffalo's loss?

7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Drew Brees has multiple rib fractures and a punctured lung. I didn't see any timetable on when he might return. 😢

They showed the play on MNF, and I thought they said he would probably miss two to three weeks.

14 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

They showed the play on MNF, and I thought they said he would probably miss two to three weeks.

IIRC, Adam said the best case scenario is that Drew would miss 2-3 weeks.  It may be possible that it's over, if not 4-5 weeks, but if a range of 2-3 was the word instead of saying one week or week-to-week I'm thinking that the worst case scenario is a month from now.  There are better people than me that'll know his status going forward, but hopefully he'll be alright going forward

• Love 2

As a Vikings fan all I can say is "Whew!" And "Hurray!" It feels like the Vikings defense has suddenly grown up. But I know why the Vikings won - I wasn't at the game. I was at Soldier Field for the 2018 and 2019 games and Vikings lost both times. But now we're 4-5 and  have the best division record (3-1) in the NFC North! And we're not last place in the division anymore! (slight sarcasm)

The refs were not calling hands to the neck and head at all. I saw Chicago defense doing that a lot, then there was the one the Vikings did that the announcers pointed out. Those offensive penalties almost killed us especially the two that came during plays where we gained a bunch of yardage.

Next week is Dallas. 

That Kyler Murray pass at the end of the SF-Buff game was like another Minneapolis Miracle. Ironic that Diggs was on the losing team this time.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

In my apparent year-long quest to bitch about uniforms, the Bears are the latest team to draw my ire.  That orange is atrocious and looks like a practice jersey.

Every time I see them, I think they're the Denver Broncos.  The Orange Crush of the Midway.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

you asked if McDermott had been fired after the game.  I assume that would be related to the ending of the game

I don’t want to speak for Carey, but I think the original post said Carey either saw or heard that the coach had been fired and wanted to know if it was true.  That was a crazy ending to the game; amazing catch!

• Love 1

Bears/Vikings was damn near unwatchable. Poor Foles, hope he is okay. 

Never heard as much screaming in the neighborhood as I did at the end of the Cards game. They're gonna give me a heart attack for sure. Hope Russell Wilson stays discombobulated for Thursday's game! 

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

The article says that is for next Monday's game! 

Yes, it's the Rams vs. Bucs came that will have the all-black officiating crew.  I love that the article noted this at the end:

Four of the NFL's 17 referee/crew chiefs are Black -- Boger, Ron Torbert, Adrian Hill and Shawn Smith -- a higher percentage than for NFL coaches or general managers.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Crs97 said:
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

you asked if McDermott had been fired after the game.  I assume that would be related to the ending of the game

I don’t want to speak for Carey, but I think the original post said Carey either saw or heard that the coach had been fired and wanted to know if it was true.  That was a crazy ending to the game; amazing catch!

Thank you Crs.  I never asked if he was fired and based off of a crazy ending that wouldn't have ever been Sean's fault.  My question was the validity of what turned out to be "fake news" or just in bad info.  When I originally saw that I was shocked; normally I would've gone to the previously mentioned insiders before questioning that, but I had a busy day.

Sean McDermott getting fired would have been the worst move in NFL history, even topping the final offensive play in the Seahawks most recent Super Bowl.  If Buffalo had lost due to a successful miracle from Arizona (similar to how Miami beat New England last year), and they had been 4-6 & on a 4-game losing streak, in addition to the Bills underperforming for the past 3 seasons, then a change would be more reasonable (though I'd disagree with it mid-season).

To put a wrap on what might have been more of a bad joke than misinformation, even the Raiders wouldn't have fired their head coach over losing a game the way Buffalo did on Sunday.  I wouldn't compare the Pegulas to the Rooneys, I think they can be very successful.  Their patience isn't infinite, but I don't think they're cutthroat.  Buffalo has a chance to avenge the 90s, at least one of those seasons (Kansas City isn't going anywhere soon, and New England might be dead but that's for 2020).  Like Irlandesa said earlier, no one's firing a division-leading HC at 7-3.  Although the 2006 Chargers fans and the 2015-2016 Cavs would dispute that!

Maybe people will get mad that I might be dissing Family Feud (I'm not), but I put on GSN reruns of Family Feud episodes (which includes episodes from the past decade; nothing from nearly half a century ago).  I usually have the radio on for Monday Night Football, but even Harlan & Warner couldn't save this game.  Jim Rome is right.  MNF is the new Thursday Night Football.  Last Thursday was great, and Seattle/Arizona is slated to be the same if not better.  Not a great week for QB's; I hope Foles will be okay

17 hours ago, Carey said:

Thank you Crs.  I never asked if he was fired and based off of a crazy ending that wouldn't have ever been Sean's fault.  My question was the validity of what turned out to be "fake news" or just in bad info.  When I originally saw that I was shocked; normally I would've gone to the previously mentioned insiders before questioning that, but I had a busy day.

Sean McDermott getting fired would have been the worst move in NFL history, even topping the final offensive play in the Seahawks most recent Super Bowl.  If Buffalo had lost due to a successful miracle from Arizona (similar to how Miami beat New England last year), and they had been 4-6 & on a 4-game losing streak, in addition to the Bills underperforming for the past 3 seasons, then a change would be more reasonable (though I'd disagree with it mid-season).

To put a wrap on what might have been more of a bad joke than misinformation, even the Raiders wouldn't have fired their head coach over losing a game the way Buffalo did on Sunday.  I wouldn't compare the Pegulas to the Rooneys, I think they can be very successful.  Their patience isn't infinite, but I don't think they're cutthroat.  Buffalo has a chance to avenge the 90s, at least one of those seasons (Kansas City isn't going anywhere soon, and New England might be dead but that's for 2020).  Like Irlandesa said earlier, no one's firing a division-leading HC at 7-3.  Although the 2006 Chargers fans and the 2015-2016 Cavs would dispute that!

Maybe people will get mad that I might be dissing Family Feud (I'm not), but I put on GSN reruns of Family Feud episodes (which includes episodes from the past decade; nothing from nearly half a century ago).  I usually have the radio on for Monday Night Football, but even Harlan & Warner couldn't save this game.  Jim Rome is right.  MNF is the new Thursday Night Football.  Last Thursday was great, and Seattle/Arizona is slated to be the same if not better.  Not a great week for QB's; I hope Foles will be okay

Ok......I guess I misunderstood you and why you brought up a rumor of him being fired.  You seemed to know it wasn't true so honestly still not really clear on what your question was or why it was being brought up here

You say 'my question was the validity of what turned out to be fake news or bad info'......but the  you also say 'i never asked if he'd been fired'  first of all I don't really know what you mean by all that and second I'm not sure what you were looking for as a response on here because again, you seemed to know it wasn't true that he was fired, so you knew the validity. 

So I guess you can just ignore what I said in response.  I assumed by the very question you were asking if he had been fired......but I guess that wasn't it because you knew he wasnt??

And only reason I statng all this is because you make it seem like I'm making stuff up about what you said when I guess I have no idea what kind of response you were looking, for but mine wasn't it. 

Prior to the latest current news with the Raiders as it relates to the pandemic, I don't think I was picking them to beat Kansas City again, but man.  This is the second time this season they have dealt with somewhat of an outbreak, right before a game against one of the league's best (Tampa Bay).  Las Vegas could still win, but I feel bad for them for having to put in players that'll play without practice.  To an extent, since their leaders have demonstrated that they couldn't care less about this year's guidelines.

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

What's worse than getting in a fight with your boss? Winning the fight.

That looks bad for Judge.  Maybe it isn't true, but I don't know if I would've fired someone for kicking my ass.  That would be the least of my problems.  Sounds like Colombo wasn't pleased about working with a veteran coach to help with the O-Line.  That doesn't look good for Marc, New York is awful this year, and while they've won 2 straight (nearly three vs the Bucs), they have a long way to go (with or with Barkley)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Many Giants beat reporters are denying that it got physical.  But Colombo's reaction is the reason he was fired.

Kim Jones tweeted that Colombo didn’t beat Judge’s ass, but called him what she said was the worst insult in the English language.  Speculation is it’s the f word that is not fucker.

• Useful 1

Judge wanted to bring in a guy who he worked with in NE to "mentor" Columbo.   Columbo saw the writing on the wall and knew he was on  his way out (he was brought in as part of Jason Garrett's staff from Dallas).   Instead of handling it with dignity and grace, he blew up.   Which meant he was out NOW under a cloud instead of an amicable break up at the end of the season.   Who would hire a guy who blows up at his boss -- other than any team that considered Tom Cable seriously.

• Useful 1

Here's the thing, Judge took more of a hands-on approach with the offensive line coaching about three weeks ago, as he wasn't seeing the improvement you can see all over the rest of the roster.  Unsurprisingly, that timeline works really well with when the O-line started to play a lot better and started getting actual good grades from PFF. 

So Judge brought in another coach with offensive line coaching experience, probably so he could go back to being the head coach while still knowing that what he wants from the line coach was being done.

And when that didn't fly with Columbo, he fired him.  Judge is pretty clearly a great football coach, and he's on his way to becoming a great head coach. His message that everybody from the ownership down to the support staff have to be on the same page of "team first" is not lip service. He benched Golden Tate. He fired a well liked coach. He is the unquestioned leader of the program, and they get better every week because of it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My Week 11 winners (or who I think might win) include Cincinnati, New Orleans, New England, Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore, New York, Miami, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay.  

I'm not optimistic with the Patriots, Ravens, or even Cleveland to outlast their opponents.  It's pretty much connected to Jacksonville where they could win or lose no matter what or based on the venue.  Then the opposite happens (coincidentally based on my guesses); as mentioned, all 32 teams include professional football players.  That might explain why we haven't seen more than 1 perfect team in the past 50 years (and 3 winless, though a couple came within the past 12 years).

Speaking of Jacksonville, maybe they'll win or not.  If they do, it would be the closest I've seen where an undefeated team with more than half its season completed, lost to a winless team with over half of their season completed (Colts lost in Week One but that was division football).

Speaking of which, Pittsburgh might lose or not.  If they do, same thing.  The concern is if someone gets covid and that person is around key players.  The Steelers are playing in Florida, but they have a game on Thursday.  Based on guidelines, I'd hate to see the Steelers lose a game due to missing people with not enough time to recover.  Of course, the in-game injuries are part of football.  If that happens, so be it

Those stupid Chargers better not lose to the Jets today. That pathetic franchise somehow finds ways to lose these type of games & also losing on close games. So hopefully, the Chargers won't find a way to mess it up. And I'm also certain that the Cowboys will go down to the Vikings. Their suffering from this season (except for Dak Prescott because he doesn't deserve this.) brings me immense joy.