Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Joe Burrow isn't going to survive the season if Cincinnati doesn't figure out that line, fast.

In Pittsburgh/Cincinnati there were three consecutive game winning kicking attempts that failed.  

• Love 1

Wtf is wrong with Collinsworth's voice? Poor guy sounds miserable. 

And I know it's tacky, but I laughed my ass off several times during the national anthem before the Cowboys/Tampa game. The cheerleader who was signing the anthem with the giant smile and crazy eyes; Zeke with his eyes closed, looking high af, singing, and moving his arms like a conductor, the first responders trying to make that enormous flag wave and several nearly getting knocked off their feet; Brady looking even more Botoxed than usual. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Wtf is wrong with Collinsworth's voice? Poor guy sounds miserable. 

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Mark Schlereth, Terry Bradshaw and Cris Collinsworth all sounded terrible today.  I would wonder about a COVID outbreak, but all three are in different cities.

"The fact is": Terry is 73, Mark called a football in Detroit, and Cris did work a game in LA 3 days ago (had that Vegas effect as mentioned elsewhere)

28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The first Sunday Night Football game of the year is just like trying to pick your favorite child, if you absolutely hated your children and were hoping that if you ran away, they would never find you.

Yes but if Dallas loses, they will have sole possession of last place in the NFC East. So that should help pick a side.

• Love 1

Someone give Collingsworth an I.V. full of Red Bull. The man sounds like he's about to fall out. I get that he's under contract and all, but does NBC really want someone on-air that's sick and lethargic? Surely someone could've filled in for one game. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Someone give Collingsworth an I.V. full of Red Bull. The man sounds like he's about to fall out. I get that he's under contract and all, but does NBC really want someone on-air that's sick and lethargic? Surely someone could've filled in for one game. 

Agreed, Collinsworth sounds horrible. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I mean, they could've gotten Garrett to fill in for him.  That way, the chances of Tampa Bay losing would've skyrocketed at the very least.  FYI: Everyone picked the Bucs save for Jason (would've been a clean sweep had Drew Brees not bolted)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The first Sunday Night Football game of the year is just like trying to pick your favorite child, if you absolutely hated your children and were hoping that if you ran away, they would never find you.

The old joke about parents fighting over the kids in a divorce. ....

'You take them!!'

'I don't want them.   You take them!'

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

What are they going to do if Cris doesn’t make it to the end?

Enjoy the silence

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

What are they going to do if Cris doesn’t make it to the end?

They'll obtain permission from FOX to have TB12 get some "color commentary reps" especially if/when Tom gets too bored to play behind that bad Bucs OLINE

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Bucs lead it 12-3 at halftime - the Cowboys are struggling due to how thin they are at receiver and on the O-Line, it’s really hurting their offense. Bucs are moving the ball well, just haven’t been able to get a TD. Nice to see Julio Jones making plays after a couple of injury plagued years, as a Falcons fan, I’ll always love Julio. 

Watching the Packers-Vikings game was a real treat without hearing Aikman/Buck. Pleasant and informative chatter...Plus, as much as I root for the Packers, it was nice watching the Vikings play well....We'll see how long that lasts....

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Watching the Packers-Vikings game was a real treat without hearing Aikman/Buck. Pleasant and informative chatter...Plus, as much as I root for the Packers, it was nice watching the Vikings play well....We'll see how long that lasts....

And for those that missed it, they can get their Buck-Aikman fix on Monday.  While I think it's an upgrade to what they had in the recent past, I'm still cool with muting the TV and turning up Westwood One with Harlan/Warner

• Love 2

I just checked and I actually put Dallas as finishing in 3rd place.  I did consider putting them in last for a personal laugh, but it might be a reality if New York is ahead of schedule.  Couple that with Dak going down.

Cincinnati travels to AT&T next week.  I think the Bengals regroup next week (still facing a tough defense) with or without Prescott.  But man, did the 2021 AFC Champions catch a break!

• Love 1

The Cowboys offense was downright pitiful tonight - they really have a problem with how thin they are at receiver and at O-Line, and now Dak is injured and who knows what his status will be next week. I know it’s just Week 1 but the Cowboys could be in big trouble. Solid win for the Bucs, strong defense and a balanced offensive attack. 

The offensive line was a big issue prior to the season when Tyron Smith went down.  There was concern following that, especially for Dak's sake, and Mike McCarthy's career.  Looks like they're on deck to be gone forever (well, Prescott until further notice at least).

ETA: Regardless, what a pathetic performance from the Cowboys.  Man, if only Buffalo can get this Dallas team in SB57 if all goes well!  Pittsburgh (who could've used this version in 1995), have a ton of questions, but found a way to win on the road (where they've started since 2015)

Edited by Carey
No excuses
  • Love 1
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Reports are Dak will be out several weeks. Total disaster for the Cowboys, looks like their season is over as soon as it began. 

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but this totally sucks.  As mentioned, with the injuries in front, this was possible.  I hate it, but it's part of the game.  Still, Dallas looked horrible all night, and one has to wonder if preseason stuff is necessary.

I don't think it is.  Several teams looked awful to start the season.  It started with the Rams, and speaking of LA, people actually ripped on McVay for his stance on not playing the starters for one second.  That was a hollow statement.  Sean was undefeated in season openers until Thursday.  If you start slowly, so be it.  Maybe going from zero to hero is a problem.  Week One does count in the standings, but there's so much time to make up a Week One loss.  Chances are no one's going undefeated anyway; after 52 seasons post merger, there's still one team that won each of their games they've played within a season.

It still sucks for Prescott and everyone else that got banged up.  Maybe in time, people will manage their players better, but it's easy for me to say!  They're going to 18 games sooner rather than later, so unless they figure out whatever, this will continue

• Love 1

I was expecting the Raiders game to be better than it was, but, damn am I happy I was also completely wrong about how the Giants game was going to go.  Wow!  The football gods rewarded the decision to go for two.

I know we just got football back, but I skipped tonight's game.  Week one and they give me a match-up where all I can root for is a meteor to hit the stadium.

• Love 2

I would say that the Cowboys really need to look into replacing their General Manager, but it’s actually fine just the way it is.

My favorite stat from Sunday is that the AFC North South played the Giants, the Commanders and each other, and came out of the weekend with no wins.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Carey said:
12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jeezus, how many people from Pittsburgh post here? 😁

I'm surprised too.  Other than xaxat, I didn't think there was anyone else!

Not from Pittsburgh, but a Steelers' fan. (Married to a native Clevelander, die hard Browns' fan.)  It took quite some time for my heart rate to return to normal after that one!

12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Steelers fear that TJ Watt has a torn pec. He was definitely injured, but I guess we'll have to wait for official word.

I am a big fan of the brothers Watt. I made the comment yesterday that I was glad that TJ wasn't as fragile as JJ. Oops.  It didn't seem like the announcers picked up on the fact that he was hurt. Apparently, as he was walking off, he was saying "I tore my pec." I am hoping for the best,  but prepared for the worst.

• Love 1

I’m not sure why I have become a Baker Mayfield apologist, but apparently this is what my life has become.

Yes he’s brash and dumb, but everyone throwing his trash talk back at him can take several seats, because I’m pretty sure when Cleveland was driving into field goal range in 65 seconds, Baker had shitall to do with that.

• Love 4

UGH.   McCarthy is an offensive coach (allegedly), Kellen Moore is an offense guy (allegedly).   Yet, the offense managed not ONE touchdown all game.   It would have been a blow out.  

Haven't seen the reports on Dak's hand but if he is out for weeks, well, so much for repeating as division champs.   god our GM sucks.   Not a decent back up QB even knowing one might be needed at SOME point in the season.   

My ONLY consolation, the Super Bowl teams and most of the playoff teams SUCKED yesterday.   It's only week 1.   There are 16 more games to go.  Someone will get their act together.   Or the NFL will make an exception this year and decide that two AFC teams can play in the Super Bowl.   I could live with a Bills-Chiefs Super Bowl.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m not sure why I have become a Baker Mayfield apologist, but apparently this is what my life has become.

Yes he’s brash and dumb, but everyone throwing his trash talk back at him can take several seats, because I’m pretty sure when Cleveland was driving into field goal range in 65 seconds, Baker had shitall to do with that.

100 percent.  Baker did what he could do throughout the game.  Did he play a great game?  No.  Cleveland wasn't elite either, but I think the day was very good based on their own situation.

Mayfield had motivation to avenge his situation.  Unfortunately for him, he couldn't shut up, so thanks to his comments, the Browns players had motivation too.  Now, Carolina isn't the best spot to "stick it" to the team that turned against you, but despite the day, and the fact that you need 60 minutes of decent play, not some of that with the hope you survive, it was still a painful loss for Baker Mayfield since the Panthers didn't close out.  That was through no fault of his own.  He didn't deserve the trash talk, but isn't a surprise either since he could've handled the situation before the game with a little bit of class

• Like 2

The Falcons looked poised for a big win in week 1, switched to a prevent defense in the 3rd quarter (the 3rd!) and even pulled the entire starting defensive line and just watched the Saints stroll down the field.

To maintain this level of incompetence across coaching changes, front office changes, and roster overhauls is almost impressive in a way.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am rooting for Baker Mayfield all the way.  He made the Cleveland Browns relevant for the first time in years, and they crapped all over him. I've also heard from friends who have seen him out and about in the Austin area that he's very nice and polite to people.  That goes a long way, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Mojoween: In addition to my response, and to be more specific, saying "I'm going to ***** them up" doesn't help the situation.  No fault in feeling slighted, but stay the course and be the better man.  Then if you win, while you still could stay classy, by all means, curse & rip the Browns.  Either way, it wasn't his fault at the end, but his history & how he can conduct himself hasn't been great over the past half decade.  Otherwise, I don't think anyone gives him a tough time, period

Edited by Carey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

My favorite stat from Sunday is that the AFC North played the Giants, the Commanders and each other, and came out of the weekend with no wins

Um....The Browns played the Panthers.  No one in the AFC North played the Commanders or the Giants.  Did you mean AFC South?

1 hour ago, 24k Kate said:

Not from Pittsburgh, but a Steelers' fan. (Married to a native Clevelander, die hard Browns' fan.)  It took quite some time for my heart rate to return to normal after that one!

My hubby is from Pissburgh, and I’m from Cleveland (he grew up outside of Sandusky), and football season is always interesting around here.  

Funnily enough we now live in NC (But not near Charlotte, where the Panthers play)

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, roamyn said:
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

My favorite stat from Sunday is that the AFC North played the Giants, the Commanders and each other, and came out of the weekend with no wins

Um....The Browns played the Panthers.  No one in the AFC North played the Commanders or the Giants.  Did you mean AFC South?

Ironically, the AFC North nearly came out of the weekend with no losses, and two teams (Pittsburgh & Cincinnati) played each other!

Edited by Carey
Punctuation
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Carey said:

Ironically, the AFC North nearly came out of the weekend with no losses, and two teams (Pittsburgh & Cincinnati) played each other!

And last year's division winner is the only team that lost.  This game shows why kickers are important.  And that even the best of them can sometimes miss.  Twice.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Bahahahahaha I surely did.  Downfall of posting while not quite awake.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

No, that was an easy one, I'm always going to root against Dallas.

• LOL 4
29 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I wish Dak the best, but getting injured in Game 1, not scoring a td and Dallas losing to a geriatric quarterback is the most Cowboys thing ever. You can't even make it up at this point. 

Well, it is a Cowboys thing.  They're 0-7 against that guy

• Useful 2

The Cowboys were going to need to figure some things out on offense, given that they had to trade Cooper and lost their excellent left tackle. While they were doing that, they were likely going to rely on their defense to keep the score down.

Losing Dak for 6-8 weeks is just about the worst thing that could have happened to them. Even with all of the things they had to work out, at least they had a good veteran QB who is also a good leader. Cooper Rush, in my opinion, is NOT going to keep this team together.  I heard a guy on the radio this morning say "Time to start the Sean Payton watch in Dallas!"

I thought that people were a little too excited about the Cowboys defense last year. Going from atrocious to average was a good thing for sure, but fawning over them was a bit much. They do look like a pretty good unit this year, however. I was pleased that the TV broadcast pointed out in addition to the ton of interceptions last year, Diggs also gave up a tremendous number of yards to opposing receivers.  

• Love 1

Last night's game should have been on CBS, if only to hear Tony Romo choking on his Dall-ass spit.  They were gloriously awful.

43 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

No, that was an easy one, I'm always going to root against Dallas.

Damn straight.  I think there was some time I was forced to root for them, like they needed to beat Philly or something so the Giants could win the division, but that would be the only, only exception.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Damn straight.  I think there was some time I was forced to root for them, like they needed to beat Philly or something so the Giants could win the division, but that would be the only, only exception.

I think if there was some time I was forced to root for the Dallas Cowboys, like they were playing the Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions, then I'd root for a DOUBLE forfeit

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Carey said:
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I think if there was some time I was forced to root for the Dallas Cowboys, like they were playing the Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions, then I'd root for a DOUBLE forfeit

To me, I can't find very much of an exception for ever rooting for the Dallas Cowboys. Unless its them going for the apex of NFL futility. It used to be 0-16. Now, its 0-17 ( BTW, thanks for nothing for that stupid 17th game, Roger Goodell! 🤬). I want Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, & the Cowboys to have to suffer through an 0-17 season. It'll feel like my team has won the Super Bowl if that ever happens. 

As for last night's game, I felt awful for Dak Prescott. Other than that, it just warms my heart that Jerry Jones didn't get a very good night sleep last night. The other bad thing about it is that Tom Brady & the Bucs win again.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was expecting the Raiders game to be better than it was, but, damn am I happy I was also completely wrong about how the Giants game was going to go.  Wow!  The football gods rewarded the decision to go for two.

My brother spent the entire day texting me about how much the Giants suck (he is a Giants fan, BTW.)  At 10:35 AM I got an unsolicited "I wouldn't take the Giants and 20 points today" and he kept it up all the way to the end of the game.  After the two point conversion, he sent me "You know they're gonna go right down the field to kick a field goal", which was true, but damn. Give yourself a second to feel good about the team.

And that kind of negativity has crept DEEPLY into our fanbase after the last five years while we have been consistently been named in the same circles of futility as the Jets. So it's not unusual for any of us to expect the worst until this team gives us a reason to not expect it.

• Love 2

Looks like there was a little bit of thought about my MNF pick, but while I'll stick with my Denver pick, Seattle, I think, will actually cover the 6 point spread.  No way the over hits (43.5).  Info courtesy of USA Today