Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Plus, zero playoff wins in half a decade, preceded by the eventual pummeling courtesy of New England with Ben.  There is optimism it could get better, but forget a Super Bowl title without a future franchise/HOF QB

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Unfortunately us Steeler fans might be dealing with our own heartbreak depending on how our hunt for a QB goes.

Hey at least your teams have been to a SB.

Us Brownies would love to be in a position to lose one.  Sigh….

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I lived through Mark Malone and Bubby Brister. I'm in it for the long haul. 

Me too but we've been spoiled.   It was nice having a franchise QB.  Who knew Tommy Maddox getting hurt in that Ravens game would set the Steelers on that unbelievable run? Tomlin has said he doesn't want to start from scratch with a new QB so we will see what happens.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Plus, zero playoff wins in half a decade, preceded by the eventual pummeling courtesy of New England with Ben.  There is optimism it could get better, but forget a Super Bowl title without a future franchise/HOF QB

I agree sadly. 

50 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Hey at least your teams have been to a SB.

Us Brownies would love to be in a position to lose one.  Sigh….

I might not like the Browns football team but I do feel bad for their fans.

• Love 3

For what it's worth, the Cleveland Browns do have the Bengals number.  If they can top their 2020 run, they might be a 2-week story ahead of a February Game At State Farm Stadium.

So the ratings are still not available as of this post.  That would mean the final ratings and viewership, but it will top Super Bowl 55 for sure.  How high or whether it’ll Top SuperbowlXLIX will be determined as soon as possible.

I wanted a good game, as did most of everyone else, and that’s how things played out.  I was on point with the under and with Cincinnati ATS (against the spread, which ranged from 3.5 to 4.5 before kickoff).  I picked the Bengals to win their first title 21-18, so I was wrong there but I (and some of the smartest out there) figured that it wasn’t going to be a Rams blowout or a shootout.  A 23-20 final score proved that.  I believe the over hits with ease had Cincy converted that fourth and one to get Evan in position to send things to OT (a true coin-flip). 

What a season.  A lot happened, both on and off the field.  We’ll see what happens with the Brian Flores stuff (FWIW, the lawsuit that was filed goes over several items including tanking in Miami possibly for $100,000 a loss, the inadvertent text from Belichick to Flores about Daboll being the guy before Flores even interviewed, and Elway/Ellis being drunk for Brian’s Denver interview back whenever).

Onto next year, or whatever’s next.  There no more football until September 2022 (or August if you count preseason, though they really could start in August on a weeknight prior to Labor Day if they wanted to).  However, one key item that makes football king is the off season stuff.  Not stupid things, but happenings connected to the new season (or the aftermath of the preceding season like retirement).  That includes Free Agency, The NFL Draft, and the Schedule Release.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the Rams, Bucs, and Packers.  Who knows whether Cincinnati will successfully address their O-Line issue!

Maybe it’s cliché, but people are placing the Rams as the team most likely to return to the Superbowl (if not continue its success).  Meh;  I don’t know about that.  They’re so over, whereas the Bengals are fourth in cap space with their best players under control until 2023.  The Rams got the title, the motivation might die down with the loss of a lot of people.

Finally, next year’s Super Bowl favorites include: Buffalo at 7/1, Dallas at 12/1, Green bay at 13/1, and San Francisco at 15/1.  Kansas City is at +750, while the winners Los Angeles opens at +1200.  Runners-up Cincinnati is actually tied with 2021 early favorite & division rival Baltimore at 20/1.  Houston, still the only franchise to never host a divisional round and/or reach the conference title game weekend, is 180/1.  Just lovely.  This is as of 02/14/2022 & definitely subject to change

• Love 1

Yeah, the Rams aren’t making it next year. Some players will likely retire (including Donald) and Stafford has his ring so is he going to give it his all? Kupp is still going to be a stud but will likely be consistently double covered. At least Robert Woods will be back- I wish he wasn’t injured and played the SB. He has given it his all since he’s been in the league and now has a ring, but I’m sure he wish he was playing. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, twoods said:

Yeah, the Rams aren’t making it next year. Some players will likely retire (including Donald) and Stafford has his ring so is he going to give it his all? Kupp is still going to be a stud but will likely be consistently double covered. At least Robert Woods will be back- I wish he wasn’t injured and played the SB. He has given it his all since he’s been in the league and now has a ring, but I’m sure he wish he was playing. 

I mean, there's a reason why in the modern NFL it's near impossible to pull off a back-to-back win.

I was rooting for the Bills since I know the Eagles are hopeless, but then I was rooting for the Bengals, but I'm okay with the Rams winning given that they get the "avenging the 2018 Super Bowl" arc. Plus they haven't won a Super Bowl since the 1999 one.

It's just nice to know that I'm never going to have to watch Tom Brady dominate the NFL again. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

And one more thing: in the Super Bowl era, L.A. now has a Super Bowl title in each conference-- first, the Raiders of the AFC taking it over Washington in XVIII, and now the Rams of the NFC taking it over Cincinnati in LVI.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Carey said:

nto next year, or whatever’s next.  There no more football until September 2022 (or August if you count preseason, though they really could start in August on a weeknight prior to Labor Day if they wanted to).  However, one key item that makes football king is the off season stuff.  Not stupid things, but happenings connected to the new season (or the aftermath of the preceding season like retirement).  That includes Free Agency, The NFL Draft, and the Schedule Release.

To me, I call it summer vacation. It ends on Labor Day. I don't mind NFL Offseason news & updates. But, I'm not here for not worth a damn NFL Power Rankings (in season or offseason), endless debates on who is going to win the NFC East, bragging about the Cowboys being the number 1 most valuable sports franchise (that top 10 list has a whole bunch of scummy teams), NFL Madden ratings, and/or analysing the NFL schedule for 3 hours & telling us in May who is going to win that game.

Does anybody know what Jared Goff is feeling right now? I'm certain that he was crying in the closet while the Super Bowl was on & after the game.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Football season starts with the Draft for me.  Or even the combine. 😊

It's the Draft for me.  And the schedule release. That is always fun to analyze to try to predict how many wins my team will get.  The Steelers usually don't do anything earth shattering in free agency but this year they might consider a QB  so that might be interesting.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

Has any announcer had a weekend like Mike Tirico?

Hosting both the Super Bowl and the Olympics. 

Did he fly back to China?  Or are they keeping him here?  Regardless, man has to be TIRED.

USFL starts in March, does it not?  I’m going to check it out at least once to see if I recognize anyone.

• Love 2

I think most of the Olympic studio shows have been filmed in LA. I'm not sure he ever went to China. But you're right, between the long days and time zones working two of the biggest events in the world he must be exhausted.

12 hours ago, xaxat said:

Has any announcer had a weekend like Mike Tirico?

Hosting both the Super Bowl and the Olympics. 

This has always made me wonder - does the host have anything beyond a marginal influence on viewership?  Is Tirico's backup so bad that they had to fly him back?  Or is it just a contractual thing?

6 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

This has always made me wonder - does the host have anything beyond a marginal influence on viewership?  Is Tirico's backup so bad that they had to fly him back?  Or is it just a contractual thing?

I assume Mike did both because he wanted to do both.  

The Rams offensive coordinator is going to Vikings as head coach. (Sudden rumor came up that he wouldn't because some said McVay was stepping down from head coach.) Anyhow I'm interested to see what O'Connell will do with the offense. We haven't had the same offensive coordinator for more than a season. I hope we keep Cousins because I feel there is more to get out of him with someone good on offense.  Although he is also considered good trade bait for another team. We have a lot of good players, it's just getting them to play well for an entire game.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I think most of the Olympic studio shows have been filmed in LA. I'm not sure he ever went to China. But you're right, between the long days and time zones working two of the biggest events in the world he must be exhausted.

Tirico was in Beijing.  Per Peter King's FMIA column on Monday - Tirico left Beijing last Tuesday at 1:15 am ET and flew to White Plains NY, arriving at 7:58 PM ET.  He hosted Olympics on Wednesday and Thursday nights from the East Coast.  Flew to LA midnight ET Thursday, arriving at LAX 2:30 am PT Friday morning.  Began SB prep at 7:30 am PT Friday.  He flew back to White Plains on a redeye after SB post-game and hosting Olympics, arriving Monday at 8:30 am ET.  He will host the rest of the Olympics from the East Coast.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

hope we keep Cousins because I feel there is more to get out of him with someone good on offense.

That is Cousins' super power -- making people believe that there is something there to be gotten.   Nope, what you see is what you get.   Some decent play and a LOT of bone headed plays.  but they will keep him because he got a huge GUARANTEED contract.   Too expensive to dump.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Magog said:

To me, I call it summer vacation. It ends on Labor Day. I don't mind NFL Offseason news & updates. But, I'm not here for not worth a damn NFL Power Rankings (in season or offseason), endless debates on who is going to win the NFC East, bragging about the Cowboys being the number 1 most valuable sports franchise (that top 10 list has a whole bunch of scummy teams), NFL Madden ratings, and/or analysing the NFL schedule for 3 hours & telling us in May who is going to win that game.

Does anybody know what Jared Goff is feeling right now? I'm certain that he was crying in the closet while the Super Bowl was on & after the game.

I am a multi sport fan, but have to chime in on this off season bullshite. When I go to a sports bar for lunch, I want to see...SPORTS. That means people actually participating in the sport, be it live or replay. Tennis, skiing, snowboarding, curling, figure skating, even fucking cornhole is a sport. Fifty TVs showing dudes in suits DISCUSSING sports is not sports. I have no interest in listening to these people predict the season/match/game/championship. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 2

I totally forgot to mention this (and it may have been mentioned already in the Super Bowl LIVE chat thread that I missed due to a party I had to attend): looks like Jordan Fuller will surface as a Jeopardy question sometime in the future. 

Unless you're Tom Brady, if you're drafted 199th overall, your NFL career, if there is one, isn't going to last long (with the exception of Adrian Peterson).

Fuller landed on IR shortly after Week 18 ended but the guy selected around the same time as TB12 a quick 20 years later will still earn his first ring.  That should bring the total number of superbowl titles for 199th overall picks to 8 (excluding people from 1999 and before)!

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:
11 hours ago, Magog said:

Expand  

I am a multi sport fan, but have to chime in on this off season bullshite. When I go to a sports bar for lunch, I want to see...SPORTS. That means people actually participating in the sport, be it live or replay. Tennis, skiing, snowboarding, curling, figure skating, even fucking cornhole is a sport. Fifty TVs showing dudes in suits DISCUSSING sports is not sports. I have no interest in listening to these people predict the season/match/game/championship. 

You have a valid point, but based on the ratings/viewership when you compare nonsense to real, live, regular season sports that's not football, there is disagreement there.  It's weird since most people would choose an actual game before discussions of one.  Except when the conflict!

Yeah, I'm probably not going to a bar to watch sports discussion.  You go for the actual contest.   Last I checked you can't bet on the news what Rapoport or Schefty might break.  I'd watch that at a bar if I'm there for something else (or if I'm meeting people for real life discussion) & ESPN/FS1/NFLN is on, which it is.  I get the hate, but there is some valuable info sometimes in sports talk television.  That, and some actual games are totally awful that I have to turn the TV off.

Magog, I'm not sure I care about Goff, but that's just me.  It's basically what happened with Winston a year prior.  What's different is Jared had a chance at the big game any nearly got shutout.  Jameis didn't even make the playoffs, though he had a chance to get to the Superbowl (albeit as relief behind Brees) with his second team.  It's gotta suck, but just couldn't get it done with McVay and the Rams.  No way Sean was going to fail with that, especially with Aaron Donald in his prime (which doesn't last forever).

Tirico doing both the Olympics and the Super Bowl is totally fair enough.  It wasn't his fault that NBC and the NFL and whomever else wanted to push the Super Bowl back a week, a year after NBC/CBS swapped years.  He's pretty much the face of NBC Sports now.  It makes sense for him to do both, despite the conflict.  He missed in 2018, and people (myself included) said he'll host the Super Bowl in February 2021 back then (since he's the studio host for their NFL coverage).  Now, with the rotation pretty much in place with the new TV deal, NBC gets the Superbowl every four years, with those years also being winter Olympics seasons.

Mike is probably calling games as the lead play-by-play guy.  Not sure of the conflict, but it looks like the remote thing is working.  Finally, no way he's passing up on calling Superbowl LX, but that's just my opinion

12 hours ago, Carey said:

but there is some valuable info sometimes in sports talk television.

Yeah I remember the day the Eagles traded McNabb to DC.   Some other major event happened that day (hell if I know right now).   My roommate came home late from work and I said "Hey, X happened today and the Eagles traded McNabb."   So you know, offseason news ranks up there with major events.

I don't really watch the Combine except for Rich Eisen's 40.   But I still follow all the news and I watch the Draft.   Because its kinda like St. Patrick's Day in the middle of Lent.   A little brief burst of excess that reminds you life is good.

23 hours ago, Calvada said:

Tirico was in Beijing.  Per Peter King's FMIA column on Monday - Tirico left Beijing last Tuesday at 1:15 am ET and flew to White Plains NY, arriving at 7:58 PM ET.  He hosted Olympics on Wednesday and Thursday nights from the East Coast.  Flew to LA midnight ET Thursday, arriving at LAX 2:30 am PT Friday morning.  Began SB prep at 7:30 am PT Friday.  He flew back to White Plains on a redeye after SB post-game and hosting Olympics, arriving Monday at 8:30 am ET.  He will host the rest of the Olympics from the East Coast.

NBC Sports HQ and Studios are all in Stamford CT and all Olympic studio shows and commentary (and most other NBC sports) come from there except for a handful of people in Beijing. There was some apparently some chance Tirico would go back to Beijing, but I guess they decided not to. 

Interesting that Shailene Woodley came out recently and made sure everyone knows that she and Aaron Rodgers do not agree on everything, and now rumors are that they have split.  I mean, putting everything else aside (because reportedly one thing they do agree on is grooming habits), would a popular actress really be able to live in Green Bay full time?

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, putting everything else aside (because reportedly one thing they do agree on is grooming habits), would a popular actress really be able to live in Green Bay full time?

Olivia Munn apparently really got into the community when she dated him.  But it's not full time even if it is Green Bay next year.  It's 5 or 6 months with his private jet.  And she'd be on location anyway, as she was both this season and last season.

Not that it matters.  That relationship was strange from the start.  They were so secretive before they announced the engagement and then so demonstrative after.  Then back to secretive and press releases that they weren't a "traditional" couple which made me think they were open.

But his relationships rarely last longer than 2 years so not surprised even with the engagement.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why is it so hard for football teams to treat ALL of the women who work for them as people, and not objects?  It’s the 21st goddamn century for fuck’s sake.

Sadly I would say that question shouldn't be limited to just football teams.

• Love 7

Did anybody watched the Rams "parade" & pep rally yesterday? Even if they only been in LA for 5 seasons & its on a weekday, I thought they're would of been a whole lot of people there. That Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl parade several years ago was way more fun to watch than the Rams parade yesterday.

And no I don't think that the Rams are going to "Run it Back" next season. It doesn't happen very often in the NFL, its very difficult to get back to the Super Bowl & win it again, & the Rams are going to come up short next season.

I’m sure with the bad PR from his drunk self walking away from the situation will lead to him paying for the photographer’s medical bills, but I’m glad his wife at least ran to see what was going on. The clip cut away as his wife was helping so we have no idea if he tried to get someone to help her. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m sure with the bad PR from his drunk self walking away from the situation will lead to him paying for the photographer’s medical bills

Why? From what I saw in the clip, he didn't cause her to fall. Yes, it looks bad that he turned away, but I don't see how that makes him responsible for any medical bills she might encounter.

He’s getting dragged right now on social media for walking away from the situation, so usually the PR thing to do is throw money at it. Unfortunately it’s how the world works with social media, making judgement on a 5 second clip. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, twoods said:

He’s getting dragged right now on social media for walking away from the situation, so usually the PR thing to do is throw money at it. Unfortunately it’s how the world works with social media, making judgement on a 5 second clip. 

I made a judgement on that 5 second clip.  I didn't like him in Detroit. Don't like him in LA.  And now I don't like him off the field.

And his wife needs a stylist. What she wore at Super Bowl was awful.

39 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Why? From what I saw in the clip, he didn't cause her to fall. Yes, it looks bad that he turned away, but I don't see how that makes him responsible for any medical bills she might encounter.

It's not just that he turned away immediately; I would imagine he's being dragged because his reaction was so nonchalant.  I mean, he all but shrugged his shoulders as he turned around, and he certainly did not seek out someone to attend to the woman.  In the wide shot, you can see him just hanging out with the people at the back of the stage while others (including his wife) have gathered around the woman.

Goddammit, now I'm resentful the Rams won, and I wanted to be happy for them!

*focuses on the hotness that is Cooper Kupp to distract self

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, he didn't cause her to fall, but at least some concern or a "Hey, a little help over here" would have made him seem less rude.  He turned immediately, not after noticing others were helping.

So, the joke on social media about Rodgers and whatshername breaking up is variations about Rodgers not wanting that second ring.

And, so, is this what we are reduced to talking about until the draft?

• Love 1

There are all sorts of fun topics.

Conspiracy theories - Brady is just taking a year off and will un-retire if he sees a potential contender that needs a QB.

Multiple examples of racist, sexist, and/or criminal behavior from various people and entities that will have absolutely zero impact on the popularity of the game.

HOF and legacy debates - given his counting stats, is Stafford now a future HOFer?  Do Phil Rivers and (assuming he never makes it back) Matt Ryan make it with zero rings based solely on numbers that are due in large part to rule changes that have made it much, much easier to stick around and rack up the yards?  How much would another SB win help Aaron Rodgers' legacy?  What happens first - he wins a ring or cuts his hair?

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

given his counting stats, is Stafford now a future HOFer? 

Uh, no.  If there's any question about what having the right supporting cast does for a QB, this guy answers it. 

Just having the ring isn't enough.  Peyton would never, never, ever be in the HoF if it was based on his SB win in Denver.  Von Miller and the rest of the Denver D giftwrapped that 2nd win for him.  OTOH, Joe Namath didn't really have a great career, but that SB did it for him.

Anyway, for me, the HoF has become the Hall of Pretty Good, instead of the pantheon of the greats.  So nobody would surprise me by getting elected.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

ESPN has reported that the Rams and Staffords are paying all of the photographer lady’s medical bills and they also replaced her two cameras that broke.

Funny what happens when you're caught being an asshole with deep pockets.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Conspiracy theories - Brady is just taking a year off and will un-retire if he sees a potential contender that needs a QB.

As a Buc's fan, he needs to make up his damn mind!!  I believe that the Bucs still have the rights to him, so I don't know how that will work out.  I can't help but wonder if he was just pissed off about losing that last game and is having a little temper tantrum over it.  Everybody knows he is a sore loser.  I still like the guy, but don't leave us Bucs hanging!  Move on, retire, whatever, just let the Bucs move on too.  

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

ESPN has reported that the Rams and Staffords are paying all of the photographer lady’s medical bills and they also replaced her two cameras that broke.

That's good.  I just saw the video of that yesterday, and it appeared that he said OMG and turned away after she fell.  Asshole. 

19 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Peyton would never, never, ever be in the HoF if it was based on his SB win in Denver. 

No, but I don't think he 'needed' another or any Superbowl win to be in the Hall either. Championships have taken over a player's body of work imo. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

No, but I don't think he 'needed' another or any Superbowl win to be in the Hall either. Championships have taken over a player's body of work imo. 

I agree on both counts.  Peyton was always going to be a slam dunk, even if he'd never come back from the neck injury and gone to Denver at all.  But he would have had to argue with Eli at every Thanksgiving dinner about whether a yellow jacket is better than two SB rings.  😉

That COVIDiot in Green Bay will be a first ballot HoFer, for sure, based on his overall career, but dollars to donuts, the first thing that will come up when it's discussed is that he only has one SB win.

If SBs were all that mattered, you'd have guys like Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson in the HoF, while QBs like Dan Marino and Dan Fouts would be left out in the cold.

But back to Joe Namath.  Not only did he have a generally mediocre career, he had a pretty mediocre SB.  It was the brashness of his prediction followed by the huge underdog upset that made his reputation.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

😉

But back to Joe Namath.  Not only did he have a generally mediocre career, he had a pretty mediocre SB.  It was the brashness of his prediction followed by the huge underdog upset that made his reputation.

He was also the first media friendly QB. I don't think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

• Love 1