Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, diet7up said:

Dear Steelers: I love you but you’re going nowhere in the playoffs with that pathetic running game.   

They're missing James Connor today.  Although I wouldn't rely on him anyway, I'd take him over Benny Snell and Jaylen Samuels.  I don't mind the short passing game.  However the Steelers can defend themselves all they want to the media about how they are missing a valuable run game.  I don't care if they develop an attitude about it, but they ought to address it behind closed doors at least.  They play at Orchard Park on Sunday.  If their run game is that pathetic that might cost them.

I should point out the fatal mistake of being one-dimensional.  No one's Bill Belichick but if someone is willing to allow the Steelers to run the ball as a complimentary gift of sorts, then they will not be winning the Super Bowl (regardless of whether Kansas City or New Orleans knocks them off)

• Love 2

Patrick vs. Aaron would not only be a dream come true for State Farm, but would be the ultimate reward for me, as I love them both!  Who would I root for -- the Packers who I have loved since Favre, or the Chiefs, because I love The Walrus and get Patty Pat Pat as a bonus!?

I'm calling Washington The Footies, because they are warm and comfortable.  And I admire Alex ("It's Only a Flesh Wound) Smith.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The two teams I root for are Washington and the Steelers, so I hate it when they play each other.  So I'm happy for Washington and especially Alex Smith, but I fear for my Steelers having to look into Mike Tomlin's eyes.  😱

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Pop that champagne, Miami.

Mr. ebk mentioned it was amusing that the Taters kept Miami's thing going... again... 

Edited by ebk57
language is not my first language
29 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

One of the Washington radio announcers called Rivera "Riverboat Ron."

That's what they called him down here in Charlotte, because of his aggressive play calling, like a "riverboat gambler".

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

One of the Washington radio announcers called Rivera "Riverboat Ron."

That’s been his nickname for years.

I’m cackling because my Brownies are surging, and the Cravens & Squeelers are playing uninspired football.  I gleefully woke hubby up from a nap to tell him - he’s a Squeeler fan.  Now let’s not get cocky, and let’s keep Myles Garrett away from Ben’s head.  We’ve got two tough defenses to get thru (Cravens & Giants).

• Love 4

On the one hand, fuck Pittsburgh.  On the other hand, tiebreaker or not, it would be nice to have some space between the Giants and WTF.  On the other other hand, Baltimore is in my top twoish or three hated teams, but on the other other other hand, would I ever root for Dallas?  I think even nuns and monks who live in a world without televisions know the answer to that question.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

On the one hand, fuck Pittsburgh.  On the other hand, tiebreaker or not, it would be nice to have some space between the Giants and WTF.  On the other other hand, Baltimore is in my top twoish or three hated teams, but on the other other other hand, would I ever root for Dallas?  I think even nuns and monks who live in a world without televisions know the answer to that question.

The opponent could be Satan and all his minions, and I'd root for them over Dall-ass.

• Love 8

The Steelers finally lost a game. I hope that Stephen A Smith is happy about that since he doesn't want them to have the "pressure" of going through the season undefeated. Now that the Steelers got a loss out of their system, he can go back to rooting for them.

In a way, I'm kind of sad that the Steelers lost. It would of been nice to see a 19-0 season. But, seeing a team go 0-16 is much more satisfying & entertaining.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Greeeaaaat.   Now Dallas gets to play the Ravens tomorrow night with Lamar Jackson back.   Just greeeeeeaaaaat.

He hasn’t been effective the last four or so games.  Either he’s gonna be rusty being off so long, or he’s gonna play inspired.  I don’t know which I want.  Cause I dislike Mike McCarthy & Jerry Jones immensely.

I guess I’ll root for a tie.

Dallas should win.  Only because they're the underdog coming off of nearly two week's rest over a team that just played on Wednesday.  Apparently the favorites are winless with that scenario, at least this season.  As mentioned, rest could equal rust as was the case with the 2011 Packers or the 2019 Ravens, but it's no myth either.  After all, each of the past 7 champions did not play a game that first week of the postseason

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That's what they called him down here in Charlotte, because of his aggressive play calling, like a "riverboat gambler".

The irony being, he wasn't an aggressive play caller at all, 

Panthers struggled his first couple of seasons there, and it was looking like he might get fired. So he started being less conservative, and at the same time, the team started winning. Once his job was secure, you only saw flashes of "Riverboat Ron" on occasion. 

• Love 2

Okay so this happened yesterday. But I was looking at the schedule it said Steelers vs "football team". I at first thought that due to Covid they don't know who (or if) they are playing lol. But I of course realized it was Washington. It's still funny that they never picked another name. 

Washington FT!

If Dallas played the Bengals while they are both playing the Raiders and Ravens with Tom Brady being airdropped into the stadium, I just hope for the whole thing to implode and get sucked into the depths of hell. I mean....just saying. 

• Love 3

Can we also make sure that Antonio Brown, Jerry Jones, that wretched owner of the Washington Football Team, the stupid ass Bengals owner, & the Chargers are in that stadium when it implodes?

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, Carey said:

I should add the Brownies, Lions, and Jets Jets Jets, but if they're hosting, it's a moot point.  An actual implosion would be an upgrade to their stadium

Wait wait wait.  The Jets stadium?  You leave that out of this reign of destruction because remember, for decades, its rightful name was Giants Stadium.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Carey said:

I should add the Brownies, Lions, and Jets Jets Jets, but if they're hosting, it's a moot point.  An actual implosion would be an upgrade to their stadium

Why the Browns?  For once we’re looking pretty good, and people still want to trample us down.  

• Love 1

I still call it that.

So the NFL has some ‘splainin’ to do.  Dez Bryant tested positive for COVID before the game (and then apparently quit the league?  I don’t know).  The NFL said there were no close contacts.  There was a deleted tweet showing Dez hugging a bunch of people before the game.  Dez tweeted wondering if the game was still going to be played.

The game is being played.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So the NFL has some ‘splainin’ to do.

I'm confused.  I see stories that he tested positive.  But then I see stories that his test was inconclusive both times they ran it so they pulled him (protocol is to assume a positive when it's inconclusive.)

But doesn't that mean they still don't actually know?

Edited by Irlandesa

Dez tweeted he tested positive so I was going by that.  I hadn’t even heard about the inconclusive tests until this morning.

How about this - because Dez was ruled out AFTER Baltimore gave the list of their inactives, they weren’t allowed to activate another WR so they played short.  The league really should have special COVID protocols in place for something like that.

If the protocol is really that an inconclusive is considered a positive -- he shouldn't have been on the field to be pulled.   his inconclusive test was in the morning.    Nope, the NFL darn screwed up this one.   

Being a WR short didn't hurt the Ravens.   Damn Dallas.    They just play with no urgency.   The last 5 minutes of the game showed that.   Under 5, down by 17.   They throw short passes that take forever to get down the field and take time off the clock.   That doesn't allow for a lot of points to be scored.   That's the plan the RAVENS should have had to preserve their lead.   Not Dallas trying to come from behind.   

Also I swear I saw on one Lamar Jackson run that a defender just ... stopped running after him.    Sure Dallas plays zone but IN THE MOMENT, if you the guy leaves your zone, you go help.   You don't just stop at the border of your zone.   You're allowed to cross jurisdictions to catch the guy.   

Poor execution all around.   Ravens didn't win because Dallas sucked though.   They played a good game.   But Dallas sucked.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If the protocol is really that an inconclusive is considered a positive -- he shouldn't have been on the field to be pulled.   his inconclusive test was in the morning.    Nope, the NFL darn screwed up this one.   

Did the NFL screw up or the Ravens screw up?

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-wr-dez-bryant-announces-he-tested-positive-for-covid-scratched-from-game-

Bryant's daily PCR test taken on Tuesday morning came back Tuesday night was inconclusive, Pelissero reported. The test was rerun and was once again inconclusive. Bryant was then pulled off the field for a point-of-care test, which was positive for the coronavirus.

Unlike other NFL clubs, the Ravens are so close to the lab that they receive their results back on the same day, rather than overnight, according to Pelissero. Therefore, with an 8:05 p.m. ET kickoff for the game, the rerun and retest process all played out with Bryant at the stadium prior to him being pulled.

• Useful 3

Washington and the Giants are both at 5-7. Hilariously given how much crap we've given the NFC East this year, that's only 1 game behind the current #7 seed Vikings. It's possible we could see two NFC East teams in the playoffs.

• Love 1

Sheehs. I just read about the Caroline Panthers having a gathering outside of the facility which has resulted in 8 players on the COVID list.  I guess it's a good thing that they had a bye week last week so they didn't expose other players.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, toooquiet said:

I also found it interesting how they define close contact.  Something about being outdoors, wearing a mask, and spending less than 10 minutes together made the guys he hugged pregame not an issue.  Seems it's not as arbitrary as some may think.

• Useful 1
16 minutes ago, xaxat said:

And the Cowboys got flexed OUT.

I wonder how that call to Jerry went.

Not well I imagine.   This is the first time the Cowboys have been flexed out of a Sunday night game.   Even in years when ratings are down, the Cowboys consistently pulled high ratings.     this is the consquence of 1) sucking and 2) not playing compelling football while sucking.   

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm watching the Rams/Cardinals game on Game Pass. What is with the LA Rams uniforms? Is it Salute to Longjohns week or something?

I just turned on the game and saw the Pats first and realized I hadn’t bitched about uniforms in awhile.  Then I saw the Rams.  That blue.  Why?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yep. He’s well on his way to winning his third defensive player of the year award after his “mediocre” season last year. Glad to see him back to normal this season.

Edited by twoods