Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dammit why did the Eagles have to get their act together.   

At least it was a darn exciting Thursday night game which is rare.   Although MY GOODNESS, it was a nasty game.   TWO players taken off on stretchers.   Although only the first one was because of a dirty hit.   Way late and not needed, his forward progress was STOPPED.   The second one was friendly fire, unfortunately.   Hope both men are okay.   

Derek Barnett, who hit Jamaal Williams, should have been tossed.  What the NFL says about player safety is just a bunch of bullshit when they don't toss a player for that.  Barnett says the usual crap after the game that he didn't mean to hurt him, he wishes him well.  How about not going at the head of a player who is stopped, who is being held up by your teammates?  Fortunately it seems Williams is going to be OK.  But if he misses the next game, so should Barnett.  

I agree with Matt LaFleur - nobody knows what pass interference is.  Certainly not the officials.  

• Love 1

What made Cam Newton think it would be a good idea to update the public on his injury status with a pretentious video featuring him smoking a cigar and drinking wine?

I'm not a "athletes should do everything to protect the temple of their body" kind of guy, but that video was so dumb.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would think that Baker Mayfield and Antonio Brown would have better things to do with their time.

Well, Mayfield should be busy with other stuff like, say, football?  But Antonio Brown is probably somewhere picking crud off his feet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

AB’s been picking fights with lots of NFL players on social media. It’s pretty embarrassing that this is what he is now- a bitter, arrogant jerk who has nothing better to do than to show the world what a piece of shit he is. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, twoods said:

AB’s been picking fights with lots of NFL players on social media.

I hate to defend the guy, but AB didn't pick this fight. Mayfield did by responding to some rando who posted the IG comment.

I don't mind AB for firing back. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

The last thing AB needs to do is get into stupid twitter wars, especially if he should ever want to return to the NFL and if a team might be interested.  Mayfield won't be the last person to mess with him so he should just let.it.go.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The last thing AB needs to do is get into stupid twitter wars, especially if he should ever want to return to the NFL and if a team might be interested.  Mayfield won't be the last person to mess with him so he should just let.it.go.

True,  but I also wish Baker would just shut the hell up.

• Love 4

Today is going to be rough.  

The Lions meet the buzzsaw that is the Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes.   RIP no losses in september for the Lions.

Then my Boys play the Saints tonight.   Oh dear.   Finally facing a team with a winning record.   It won't be pretty.

And talk about ugly, the Skins play the Giants in the late afternoon.   Take the under.

2 hours ago, roamyn said:

True,  but I also wish Baker would just shut the hell up.

He has shown exactly zero ability to do that in any number of situations. Which is fine, as that’s who he is and what the Browns signed up for when the drafted him, as long as he performs at a high level. 

1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

Take the under.

Ugly game? Very likely. The under? That’s not a safe bet in my opinion. The Giants defense is ranked 29th to 32nd in pretty much any relevant category you can think of. They are the cure for whatever is ailing their opponent’s offense. 

Three things:

1.  No idea OBJ had that kind of arm.

2.  Irritating that the announcers were too busy saying the ball should have been caught to mention the receiver was too busy being mugged to have a chance.  

3.  The Browns could have challenged the no-call, but apparently they need to save that red flag for the tougher calls like whether the Ravens’ receiver was out of bounds when he caught the ball.  🙄

• LOL 3

Great win for the Browns today against the Ravens, taking them to the first place in the AFC North right now. They utilized Nick Chubb (He was excellent today) and the run game very well and it made a big difference for them.  Including opening up the passing game for them.he defense did a good job as well, especially considering the amount of players they had out I hope they play more like this going forward.

I am also glad that the Panthers won again.

And there were multiple rough looking collisions/falls today. Including Vontaze Burfict's hit on Jack Doyle, TJ Hockenson trying to do a hurdle and having that rough fall in the Lions/Chiefs game. And then Josh Allen taking that big hit in the fourth quarter of the Bills/Patriots game. I hope everyone that suffered big hits today ends up being okay. 

• Love 1

What the heck happened 2day?!

Browns stomped on the Ravens (shove that purple & black Rex Ryan)

TN beat Atlanta, Carolina beat Houston (Cam May be done as starter), Oakland beat Indiana, the Lions nearly pulled off the upset on KC, the Bills held their own against NE and only let the score 16.

Next you’ll be telling me that Bungles will beat the Squealers 2morrow night.

• LOL 2

I think Bills are legit good! They caught the Pats at a good time with a number of key contributors unavailable and almost cashed it in. The Bills may be peaking a bit, but I think they'll be factors in the playoffs. Presuming of course Josh Allen's concussion doesn't take him out for a while.

BTW, that concussion I put squarely on Allen and his decision not to slide. If you want to have a three year career, keep doing that. The 15 yard penalty you earned wasn't worth getting knocked out for this week and possible longer.

• Love 2

Oh this Vikings--Bears game is giving me flashbacks to the NFC Championship where we were manhandled by the Eagles...or we forgot to show up...either excuse will fit..then and now....All those penalties against the Bears..moving the ball down the field...and then they lose it...I don't think I'll make it to the half....sigh....

• Love 1
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And talk about ugly, the Skins play the Giants in the late afternoon.   Take the under.

I stand corrected! I had no idea that the Redskins best offensive weapon at the moment is their punter. 

• LOL 3
57 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I stand corrected! I had no idea that the Redskins best offensive weapon at the moment is their punter. 

Never underestimate the ability of the Skins to lose  a game that is being handed to them.

However I was very wrong about the Lions.  Yes they lost but darn was it close.

• Love 1

That was an exciting finish to the Jags/Broncos game. I am glad that the Jags got the win. I continue to be impressed with the way that Gardner Minshew plays. He made some really nice plays today including when he escaped being sacked several times. And he took tough hits, including at the very end of the game, but he hung in there and helped lead his team to the win. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

What the heck happened 2day?!

Browns stomped on the Ravens (shove that purple & black Rex Ryan)

TN beat Atlanta, Carolina beat Houston (Cam May be done as starter), Oakland beat Indiana, the Lions nearly pulled off the upset on KC, the Bills held their own against NE and only let the score 16.

Next you’ll be telling me that Bungles will beat the Squealers 2morrow night.

And Uncle RicoGardner Minshew leads resurgent Jacksonville to another win. The AFC South is B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Edited by AimingforYoko
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Patriots have an extra point kicking problem.

Yeah, Gostkowski has officially entered Big Problem territory. I’m sure the new holder isn’t helping but it’s absolutely a mental thing for Gost—he has never been the same since he cost the Pats the AFCCG in Denver and he’s gotten worse every year since.

Lots of fans want him to be cut but the problem is, who the heck else is there to bring in? Think the Pats are stuck with him this year, but they’ve GOT to draft a kicker next year.

WTactualF, Bridgewater?!  You had ONE job - don't take a sack.

I could not hate the Cowboys more if they were the Patriots.  So thank you, Saints defense, because I had some serious palpitations going on here.

• Love 8

Some analysts had picked the Saints to win in an upset tonight and they were right. The Saints defense did a really nice job tonight against the Cowboys. And with the Cowboys losing tonight there are only 3 undefeated teams left (the 49ers, Patriots and Chiefs).

Edited by Jx223

Whew.    Dallas had a respectable showing.   Their defense held up quite nicely.   Holding to the Saints to no TDs was big.    That was a much lower scoring game than I expected.  Now they have the "when will they get their first loss out of the way" and can just concentrate on playing.   16-0 was never realistic.    We can still take the division hopefully.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Some analysts had picked the Saints to win in an upset tonight and they were right. The Saints defense did a really nice job tonight against the Cowboys. And with the Cowboys losing tonight there are only 3 undefeated teams left (the 49ers, Patriots and Chiefs).

Going into New Orleans in prime time is, even without Brees, has always been a very tall order. Plus, the Cowboys haven't really been challenged by a decent time up until last night, so it's not a total shock that they didn't look great. It's hard to suddenly have to dial up your competitiveness level. 

Mason Rudolph looked good in last night's game against the Bengals.  He is very confident and mature and seems to have good support from his team members as well.  I have to admit that I am surprised. I thought that the Steelers were toast after Ben got hurt.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, stonehaven said:

Oh this Vikings--Bears game is giving me flashbacks to the NFC Championship where we were manhandled by the Eagles...or we forgot to show up...either excuse will fit..then and now....All those penalties against the Bears..moving the ball down the field...and then they lose it...I don't think I'll make it to the half....sigh....

I understand. I was there in section 104 behind some nasty Bears fans who would not sit down ( standing when no one else was). All I can say is that the defense didn't do too badly holding the Bears to 16 points considering the offense didn't show up until 4th quarter.

8 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Mason Rudolph looked good in last night's game against the Bengals.  He is very confident and mature and seems to have good support from his team members as well.  I have to admit that I am surprised. I thought that the Steelers were toast after Ben got hurt.

Mason was okay.  He's no Gardner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett.  Then again, he's not Teddy Pendergast, either.

But that wasn't really a test for the Squealers.  It was like Xichigan playing Rutgers.  

Next week will be a better gauge on the Squealers.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I never had an opinion about the Raiders, one way or the other, but now I hate them and Derek Carr.

I've always hated them, so this is easy.

Maybe Vontaze should research Darryl Stingley.  That's someone whose heart, not to mention a small thing like a spinal cord, was broken.  The hit on Jack Doyle could easily have gone that way.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2019 at 9:55 PM, Fukui San said:

I fully expect the Pats to draft a kicker next year. They have like a half dozen late round picks. They can use one to get a kicker. Also a fullback, believe it or not, as James Develin is aging and now injured.

Looks like Gostkowski is done for the year with hip surgery. I wonder if this will end his career. Hope not--the guy deserves to go out on a better note. The Pats are DEFINITELY drafting a kicker next year now.

Jay Gruden says he doesn't have a plan for the quarterback this week.  At this point I feel like he is trolling the media and the fans.  How can the players be motivated?  

Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F10%2Fredskin-jay-gruden-too-honest-qb-situation&psig=AOvVaw23eBXOYB-eNFqEoU0_ODh9&ust=1570185389149861

Meanwhile, the Vikings coach, Mike Zimmer has a practical attitude.  They showed him in a press conference saying the team should take it one game at a time.  

Can we have Mike Zimmer in DC?

Edited by nittanycougar
53 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

So he can coach Case Keenum who he was fine with going to DC, instead of coaching Cousins who WAS in DC?    At one point, they had some fine QBs in Minnesota, including one Teddy Bridgewater.   They gave them all away in favor of ... Kirk Cousins.   Who they way overpaid.   

As for Burfict, he is not misunderstood.   He has been suspended before for dirty hits.   He CHOSE not to change his ways.   Anyway team that did not tell him to change or he would be cut just enabled him to continue doing what he did.   I think a year ban is too light.   If you can be suspended indefinitely for multiple violations of smoking weed for goodness sakes, then you can be suspended indefinitely for on field play that endangers other players repeatedly.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Jay Gruden says he doesn't have a plan for the quarterback this week.  At this point I feel like he is trolling the media and the fans.  How can the players be motivated?  

Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F10%2Fredskin-jay-gruden-too-honest-qb-situation&psig=AOvVaw23eBXOYB-eNFqEoU0_ODh9&ust=1570185389149861

Meanwhile, the Vikings coach, Mike Zimmer has a practical attitude.  They showed him in a press conference saying the team should take it one game at a time.  

No. We like him here.

17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The NFL has to come up with a better scheduling plan.   Year in and year out the Patriots have three doormats in their division. 

That's not going to last forever. One of the reasons I am really interested in the Miami tank job is that they are clearly planning for a post-Brady era.

I believe in the proposition that the Bills are good right now.

I think the Dolphins will be interesting in a very short time.

I think the Jets are doomed to incompetence forever so long as current ownership is in charge. The way ownership undermines coach and GM continually amazes me. In retrospect I'm amazed that 2009-10 ever happened.

In any case, my hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we had a soccer-style system in which we had an elite league and then lesser leagues and the worst teams were relegated down and the best lesser teams were promoted up.

• Love 4

Okay, now I'm officially irate with this Dish/FOX pissing contest; NFL Network is not airing Thursday night football, so everyone is conspiring to deny me Rams vs. Seahawks.  (The only alternate available to me is streaming it via Amazon Prime, but my TVs aren't connected to the internet/my computer, so I'd have to watch on my little 19-inch monitor, and no thanks.)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Put the right background behind the Seahawks players and their uniforms will disappear.  😳

Awful.  I got annoyed enough to hook my laptop up to my game room TV so I can watch through Prime, and when it first popped up I thought I had a video problem on that input!

• LOL 3

I thought tonight's game was a good and competitive game. I thought it had some very impressive plays including the throw from Russell to Tyler Lockett and that great interception towards the end by Tedric Thompson.

Russell Wilson was awesome tonight and helped the Seahawks narrowly get away with the win. (With the help of the missed field goal by the Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein and in spite of a couple of questionable calls from Pete Carroll.)

Edited by Jx223