Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to ESPN and other sources the 49ers have just acquired Jimmy Garropolo from the Patriots for a 2018 second round pick. I think this is interesting and also means that they probably won't try and go after Kirk Cousins next season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21230962/new-england-patriots-trade-jimmy-garoppolo-san-francisco-49ers-draft-pick

Ok, what’s wrong with Garoppolo?  There must be something Belichick knows.

21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think he it's still possible that Jimmy might be a good QB. The Patriots also traded Jacoby Brissett who I think has the potential to be decent (though the Colts are struggling right now.) Maybe Belichick doesn't intend to stay around for a whole lot longer and is content with going with Tom for the next year or two and then will retire. I think that if Jimmy had stayed they would have to make a big decision regarding him and Tom next season. It looks like they are rolling with Tom for the forseeable future.

I wonder what they are going to do about their backup quarterback situation now. Especially with both Jimmy and Jacoby gone. They may end up being in trouble if Tom gets injured and they don't have a capable backup to replace him.

Also, I think that the Browns might be upset about this news. They have all those picks and all it took was one second round pick to get Jimmy.

Edited by Jx223
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Garrapolo is a free agent after this season. Assuming he wants to test the market, the Pats would have to franchise tag him. Keeping him and Brady adds up to about a $40 million cap hit. 

• Love 2

I guess the rumors that teams were making 1st round pick+ offers to the Pats in the offseason weren't true if they took this offer. I was really convinced there was a handshake deal in place between Belichick, Brady, and Garappolo regarding Brady's retirement timeline, but nope. Brady really intends to play until he's 47.

I think if I were the GM of a Cleveland then I would have made at least a 1st round pick offer, but apparently the Clevelands of the world know something that we don't. Like they knew something we didn't about Deshaun Watson.</sarcasm>

To Belichick, it's just math. An unproven but promising QB on a rookie salary is a great asset. But an unproven but promising QB playing on the Franchise Tag would be a great detriment.

Hoyer's getting released and I think he'll just sign on to be QB2 in New England for short money. I would absolutely love it though if they just signed Kaep to back up Brady. Sure Belichick is a friend of Trump, but hey, Kaep might also be a bargain and Bill loves bargains. Kaep's something like the 25-35th best QB on the planet. Maybe it makes economic sense to sign him for the minimum. New England is the one locker room in the league where they can enforce a STFU rule.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Hoyer's getting released and I think he'll just sign on to be QB2 in New England for short money. I would absolutely love it though if they just signed Kaep to back up Brady. Sure Belichick is a friend of Trump, but hey, Kaep might also be a bargain and Bill loves bargains. Kaep's something like the 25-35th best QB on the planet. Maybe it makes economic sense to sign him for the minimum. New England is the one locker room in the league where they can enforce a STFU rule.

I don't see how Kraft OKs this.

25 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Hoyer's getting released and I think he'll just sign on to be QB2 in New England for short money. 

This is the first thing I thought when I read the report. Hoyer is SO coming back to be the backup.

I wonder if before and into the season, the Pats were trying to convince Jimmy G to stick around, but it's finally become clear he was going to leave, and so they dealt him while they still could. If so, I think Garappolo may have made a mistake--he'd have been better off doing the Rodgers thing and biding his time.

Just now, stealinghome said:

This is the first thing I thought when I read the report. Hoyer is SO coming back to be the backup.

I wonder if before and into the season, the Pats were trying to convince Jimmy G to stick around, but it's finally become clear he was going to leave, and so they dealt him while they still could. If so, I think Garappolo may have made a mistake--he'd have been better off doing the Rodgers thing and biding his time.

That's fine if Brady plays 1 more year. That's not so fine if Brady plays 5 more years.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I guess the rumors that teams were making 1st round pick+ offers to the Pats in the offseason weren't true if they took this offer.

One possibility is that they did get better offers but Garropolo let the potential suitors *cough*Browns*cough* know that he wouldn't re-sign with them.

8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

One possibility is that they did get better offers but Garropolo let the potential suitors *cough*Browns*cough* know that he wouldn't re-sign with them.

I really underestimated the level of the Browns' dysfunction and thought it'd be a fine place for a young QB to end up. Their treatment of Kizer has shown me otherwise.

4 hours ago, stealinghome said:

As in Aaron Rodgers?  Jimmy's in his fourth season, right?  Aaron was named GB's starter in his fourth season.

There was so much focus on Favre's retirement/unretirement that people forget the clock was ticking on Rodgers as a Green Bay Packer.  He waited three seasons because he had to but he only signed an extension once he was firmly established as the starting QB.  There is absolutely no way (okay, maybe a 1% chance) that he would have signed a contract extension if Brett were still the starting QB.  Had Brett made noises about playing for a few more seasons with more certainty than he exhibited, the same thing would have happened to Rodgers that happened with Jimmy.  GB would have traded him.  Instead, it was Brett who ended up traded.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Belichek saw a chance to make a trade -- he did.

The back up to Brady right now is Julian Edelman who is on injured reserve.    They will sign someone quick.   Probably Hoyer, but it might be Kaep.   Kraft was NOT happy at his "buddy" attacking the league.   The owners who are friends with you know who underestimated his ability to carry a grudge ( since 1980 something is a LONG time to be pissed off).  They thought being friends would override that.   

But damn, what a day.    Duane Brown from the Texans to the Seahawks the week after ending his hold out.   There had to be a promise of a trade to get him to end his holdout.   Then the Garrapolo trade.   Then Judge Failla ruled -- she dissolved the temporary injunction.   Elliott's suspension is back on.   The League is going to be without one of its most exciting rbs on one of the premier games of the year -- Thanksgiving.

According to his Wikipedia entry quoting NFL Network, Hoyer was originally going to be part of the trade, but he was dropped out because that would have invoked a compensatory draft pick.  So I'm sure we'll see him in Foxboro soon.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

RB Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a 4th. Adam Gase not happy with the Dolphins locker room, reportedly. (After a 40-0 loss, understandable).

For a 4th, huh, he better not get on the wrong side of Malcolm Jenkins or it will be a short stay....

According to ESPN the Bills have just acquired Kelvin Benjamin from the Panthers for two picks. I think this is another interesting move for a team (the Bills) that is trying to make the playoffs). Kelvin was a nice big target for Cam, but some analysts were saying they felt he was wasn't performing as well as he should in Carolina.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21240301/kelvin-benjamin-carolina-panthers-traded-buffalo-bills

Edited by Jx223

Actually it turns out that was the Bungles.    The Browns faxed back the signed trade agreement to the Bengals.   The Bengals faxed the agreement with only their signature and not the one with both the Browns and the Bengals signature on it.   

Which of course raises the key question -- Why by anything anyone considers holy is the NFL still faxing things.   It's 2017 for goodness sakes.   There's this awesome thing called email.   You can scan the document, save it as a PDF (not a freaking .jpeg) and email it to the League offices.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Which of course raises the key question -- Why by anything anyone considers holy is the NFL still faxing things.   It's 2017 for goodness sakes.   There's this awesome thing called email.   You can scan the document, save it as a PDF (not a freaking .jpeg) and email it to the League offices.

I still prefer to fax stuff.  I'm old. 

• Love 3

Faxing stuff is probably more secure than email.  There are still some places, like banks, that only accept faxed signed documents over email. Didn't this happen to the Browns before?  I feel like this is deja vu.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Agreed. Ten years ago, my company faxed documents all the time. These days, most of our customers (and vendors) don't even have fax machines.

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Actually it turns out that was the Bungles.    The Browns faxed back the signed trade agreement to the Bengals.   The Bengals faxed the agreement with only their signature and not the one with both the Browns and the Bengals signature on it.   

Until this summer, I had a job where I had to tell people to fax in documents (to their dismay and bewilderment about where to find a fax machine), so it kind of pleases me to hear that other places are still in the Stone Age, too. Of course where I worked wasn't the NFL, with big sponsorship deals for the latest tablets and gadgets! Maybe they stepped it up to e-faxing, at least?

Very curious about the Pats QB situation...

7 hours ago, Dejana said:

Of course where I worked wasn't the NFL, with big sponsorship deals for the latest tablets and gadgets! Maybe they stepped it up to e-faxing, at least?

Amy Trask commented on this on Twitter.   Suggested that the NFL get a sponsorship with Docusign.   Docusign responded that they have a free trial offer.   

This isn't the first time there have been fax problems in the League.   Elvis Dumervil's contract with the Broncos wasn't done in time due to a late fax to the League.  Of course, the OTHER solution besides joining the 21st century is teams shouldn't wait until the last minute.  Then the timing of the fax wouldn't be a problem.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Bills have just acquired Kelvin Benjamin from the Panthers for two picks.

As a Panther fan, I don't get this at all. I thought KB would get moved in the offseason, but in the middle of the season, when you're 5-3 and fighting for a playoff spot?

Panthers offense (which wasn't very good anyway) just got worse.

• Love 2

Papa John has decided to blame the protests for his poor pizza sales and also that the NFL should have stopped the protests a long time ago.  What a surprise that he is taking the right-wing side of things!

Perhaps he should look in the mirror and see that he is a terrible person, and people know this, and that’s why they don’t want his shitty pizza.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 21

Yep, I stopped eating his pizza once I found out what a disgusting person he is. Look in the mirror, asshole.

Finally the Bills did something to booster their offense. They can't rely on McCoy all the time. Still holding out for the that elusive  playoff game- its been 17 years damn it!

• Love 1

I'm having fun watching all these billionaires panic. Especially Jerry Jones, who is fighting to keep his right to sign alleged domestic abusers, but God forbid someone take a knee.

So the Packers and the Patriots went after Brian Hoyer? Too bad there are no other options out there to sign.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

So the Packers and the Patriots went after Brian Hoyer? Too bad there are no other options out there to sign.

I understand the Pats' reasoning: Hoyer came up with the Pats and is familiar with their system. Kaep would seem to be a better fit for the Packers who have/had a mobile QB in Rodgers.

ETA: Papa Johns pizza isn't fit to be called pizza. It's terrible.

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, scriggle said:

I understand the Pats' reasoning: Hoyer came up with the Pats and is familiar with their system. Kaep would seem to be a better fit for the Packers who have/had a mobile QB in Rodgers.

ETA: Papa Johns pizza isn't fit to be called pizza. It's terrible.

He made his pizza in his own image, tasteless & horrible..........

• Love 12

Oh no!  Deshaun Watson tore his ACL?!? Was it in practice or something?

If they are looking for reasons people are turning away from the game, the never-ending litany of stars on IR has to be a possibility.

• Love 1

Talk about being on a roller coaster down here in Houston.  We win the World Championship in baseball last night and today learn that our fantastic rookie quarterback is out for the season. What a 24 hours we've had.

• Love 2

Poor Deshaun. He is such a talented young QB and was having a great season so far. He is very enjoyable to watch. I wish him a healthy and speedy recovery and hope he comes back strong. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

Talk about being on a roller coaster down here in Houston.  We win the World Championship in baseball last night and today learn that our fantastic rookie quarterback is out for the season. What a 24 hours we've had.

Has anyone else hear the rumor that Colin K. might get a workout with the Texans?

This is fascinating. The NFL produced an ad featuring players who participate in or support the protest movement.

Jerry's head must be exploding. Which is a good thing. 

55 minutes ago, topanga said:

Has anyone else hear the rumor that Colin K. might get a workout with the Texans?

Bob "Can't have the prisoners running the jail." McNair agreeing to sign Kaep? I don't see that happening.

• Love 5

What a great ad. Thanks for sharing. 

The Bills will never win the division if they can't beat the Jets. I lost count of how many times Taylor got sacked, and McCoy was ineffective. I guess teams figured out that the way to beat the Bills is by neutralizing their run game. Blah.

We have a new one in the freak injury category  -- stepped on a conch shell.    Apparently, the Lions punter who has been on the NFI List all season injured his foot in the off season when he stepped on a conch shell.    He has not confirmed this but did say he did not trip over his dog (burn Brian Griese).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Le'Veon Bell is one of the voiceover actors in the new Call of Duty WWII video game.

Real life Army Ranger veteran and Steeler left tackle Alejandro Villanueva is also in the game.

• Love 1

If there is going to be a Royal Rumble between Goodell and Jones well buy me a suit and call me Roger because I will back Goodell ALL DAY.

I cannot think of any possible way I would ever be on the same side as Jerry Jones.  None.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

If there is going to be a Royal Rumble between Goodell and Jones well buy me a suit and call me Roger because I will back Goodell ALL DAY.

I cannot think of any possible way I would ever be on the same side as Jerry Jones.  None.

I never thought I'd see the day when Roger Goodell is the good guy. This truly is the darkest timeline.

• Love 5