Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Actually it was 10 years ago.   The Saints played the 2005 season at "home" in San Antonio.    The first home game back in New Orleans after Katrina was September 26, 2006.    

I wonder if Steve Gleason is at the game tonight.   He usually is at Saints home games and this one especially is so important.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:06 AM, Haleth said:

It was very confusing. The Colts punted with 4 seconds left. The Chargers had everyone on the line to try to block it.  They didn't.  A Colt ran downfield and downed the ball while time ran out. But because the Chargers didn't have a return man back there it was called an illegal touch (really?) and so the Chargers were given one untimed down. No one knew this rule so everyone assumed the game was over.  I was wondering if the network had left coverage assuming it was over too.  

So this is what happened at the end of the game, a rule I never knew.  ANd its very confusing.  I figured this out after much discussion because I didn't know what was going on

The rule on a punt, ANY PUNT, as I found out, is if the kicking team touches the ball before the receiving team, its technically a first touch/illegal touch violation.  Any time the punting team rushes down the field and downs the ball without the receiving team touching it or returning it, technically its a violation. Its a violation, not a penalty, meaning no yardage is added for it, so normally this does not matter.  The other team is getting the ball, there is time on the clock, as stated there is no yardage to it, you just proceed as if nothing happens.  That is why this rarely comes up, we don't even notice it because its basically no consequences to it.  However, in this case, time ran out during the play and its considered a "defensive penalty/violation".  A game, or a half, cannot end on a defensive penalty or violation, thus SD is given one untimed play to run, which they did.  The refs had it correct, its just an odd rule most of the time is ignored. 

If the Colts had just not touched the ball, let it sit there and stop and time ran out, or if the Chargers had tried to return it and time ran out, game over. 

There is the added question of whether it matters if they touched the ball before the clock went to zero and if that matters in terms of it being a violation.  I don't think it does matter, play is still going on just like any other play when the clock reaches zero, you play to the end of the sequence, not the end of the clock, but that's a side debate. 

I couldn't really figure out WHY this is not allowed until I thought about it.  Theoretically when the receiving team is trying to catch the ball the kicking team could knock the ball and try to hit it off them then recover it like a fumble.  I never would have though of trying that even not know this rule existed, but I suppose that is why

• Love 1

Hey Football Jesus!

Some good games last week and a boomchaklaka for the home college team which shall unnamed because I don't want to jinx them.

Football Jesus, can you have a talk with the Patron Saint of Umpires, Refs, Linesman and Zamboni Drivers and get their shit straightened out?

I don't mind a bumble or two, but they DO have instant replay.........

Please, Patron Saint of U,R, L and ZDs, make their vision keen, their judgement sound and their mics work.

Keep the linesman out of the way on the sidelines and keep the chain gang fleet of foot, too.

------

Please keep all the dunderheads off the sidelines and Bring Tom Brady back, there is no one to hate on playing right now.

Paeton Manning's commercials are more tolerable because now I know what a famewhore is, thank you for removing the scales from my eyes.

And Football Jesus, please keep everyone safe that attends every NFL game this year, except the people that go to Raider games - that shit is crazy.

Enter at your own risk and an Amen to You....... 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Paeton Manning's commercials are more tolerable because now I know what a famewhore is, thank you for removing the scales from my eyes.

I swear he is doing MORE commercials now that he is retired.   Which yeah, more time to film, but c'mon, there are 2500 active players, surely you can find one or two to shill stuff.   Although it means I still get to see Peyton on my tv.   I find him hot.   Don't judge.

• Love 1

Looks like J.J. Watt is out for the season with another back injury.  Apparently he reinjured his back during the Patriots game on Thursday night. Many Houston fans were concerned that he was coming back from surgery too soon. Guess they were right.

On 9/26/2016 at 2:18 PM, nowandlater said:

Tom Brady has never played in Tampa Bay because the Patriots @ Tampa Bay game in 2009 was moved to London. If he's still around next year, Brady will finally get to play in Tampa for a regular season game. (Brady will play @ the 49ers for the first time in his career this year -- he never got to play in Candlestick Park.)

This was actually the first time the Patriots had played in UPhoenix Stadium; the league switched things around after the first 8 years of the Mathematically Pristine Schedule, so they hadn't played in Arizona in 12 years.

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Omg, yes! That intro is HORRIBLE. Why does Carrie do that weird prancing thing throughout? She looks so painful and unnatural.

ITA.  I always said she (unlike Pink and Faith Hill) sang "Waiting All Day for Sunday Night" like she had never heard of Joan Jett; this new one is worse and the song itself isn't nearly as good.

Re: Peyton, I'm not sure if anyone here saw it, but apparently he was on the panel at the recent Comedy Central roast of Rob Lowe.  I guess he made a Deflategate joke when he spoke, and later a comedian named Nikki Glaser got up and said, "Peyton, I love you in commercials.  You might be the greatest of all time.  You're like the Tom Brady of being in commercials."

• Love 4

MY biggest problem isn't with the patton manning cable commercials, it's the papa douchebag ads.

We once ordered a pizza from PJs - I like anchovies (don't judge) and when I got into the second piece I noticed that there was ONE anchovy on each of the slices in the box. I thought that was odd, other places put ANCHOVIES on theirs, so maybe they were running out?

Later, I spoke to my BIL and told him about it - he's a driver for PJ and he told me that the guys that put together the pizzas are told to 'only put one anchovy on each pizza slice' as a way to control costs.  Now, this pizza wasn't the 'three pizzas for 2.95' deal, it was a regular priced, custom job.

We went a baseball game and my wife wanted pizza, PJ the official pizza of the team, I paid 7 dollars of a piece of dough smeared with sauce and a handful of pepperoni - a plain cheese pie was the same price......

I'd think is you want to shill 'better pizza' you'd want to give people SOME pizza - not a cheap imitation?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1

I feel bad for the players wearing these colors. They probably look at the unis and roll their eyes. Has this color block Thursday or whatever the NFL started last year work to increase jersey sales? Do people buy these bright jerseys?

I think that the orange uniforms are a bit distracting. They look bad and are making watching the game not as enjoyable as it would be without them.

I'm glad this color rush theme is limited to Thursday's only.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

And of course, when I flipped over to the game, a few minutes after it started, I assumed it was the Bengals in orange, and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

I thought the Bengals were in orange for a hot second too.  When I flipped over to the game I literally recoiled back and said "whoa".  Those unis were BRIGHT!  I think Miami should have had turquoise as their primary color.  That color is more "Miami" and might have shown better on tv.

I'm just glad the Bengals won.  AJ Green was in beast mode. 

• Love 3

I hate the color rush jerseys anyways but red for Buffalo and orange for Miami do not work.  Because I see red and think New England and orange is Tampa. 

Now that I'm in a complaining mood, also it still irritates me when home teams wear white.  

• Love 2

I loathe the color rush uniforms and whichever NFL executive came up with the idea deserves a beat down. The problem is you can't tell which team is which when the two teams playing have similar color schemes. Visually, it's a disaster. I like the throwback uniforms much better.

• Love 3

All these armchair doctors diagnosing JJ Watt need to shut it.

Did they examine him?  Did they review his x-rays, CT scans, MRI's?  No, they did not.  Not even that doctor ESPN employs who unequivocally stated that Watt came back too early.

Isn't it possible, that what happened to his back was inevitable?  That he could have sat out a week or a year, and that disc was just going to fail.

I'm not saying that that is what happened, obviously, but I haven't heard any of these "experts" even hint at it.  Nope, it's all "JJ is selfish" and "JJ should have waited" and "JJ is done."

It's so annoying.

• Love 2

The Colts should be running away with the AFC South.   Instead they look like they want the first round pick in the draft -- to get an offensive lineman.

The Pats are mortal after all.  But really, 3-1 with Brady coming back is not bad.   The best thing about Brady coming back?   We won't have to hear about when he is coming back from suspension any more.

• Love 2

I can handle the Pats losing to anybody but Rex Ryan. It just burns.

As far as the media and the fans, we can't say one week "no Brady no problem" and then justify a shutout by saying "well Tom wasn't playing so it doesn't count."  They played like shit and deserved the loss. No excuses.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Ryan even said they expected to win since Brady wasn't there, and pretty much said that they shouldn't be super excited because that one player was not playing. I will be more impressed if the Bills beat the Pats with Brady, but Bill will probably be pissed about this loss and extra prepare for that game. Sigh

Panic time for the Panthers. 

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I can guarantee that the Hoodie won't be saying it didn't count. He'll probably find a way to make Brady feel responsible.

Yeah, on some level you just know Belichick loves this. Not the losing, but the way he'll be able to use it to tear his players and coaches to shreds. It's great motivation and a slap against complacency. I actually feel bad for the Browns next week.

ITA that the Pats deserved to get their butts whooped today--sadly, my fears for the Bills game were prophetic, I just knew this game was going to be rough for the Pats (I didn't expect it to be that rough, though). But 3-1 without Brady is as good as anyone could have reasonably expected. Plus, the Pats always have one game a season where they absolutely throw up all over themselves, so I'm hoping this was the puke game and we have it out of the way now.

What's worrying me the most is the D, actually. They have the potential to be really good, but so far they've been really inconsistent. Two very good games and two, let us say, not so good games. They need to get it in gear.

• Love 2

That was a nice win for Dallas. I thought that Ezekiel Elliot was impressive and Dak continues to do a nice job and lead the team to wins. I am happy to see both of them are doing well.

I thought that Cleveland was competitive today but they blew it at the end again. Those three turnovers in the second half cost them the game. In a lot of their games they actually are competitive but they keep finding ways to lose. I think they may end up with the worst record in the NFL this season.

I think that Oakland has been impressive so far this season. I am glad this team and their young players are starting to come into their own. Derek Carr is a talented young QB.

And I am surprised at how well the Rams are doing so far this season. They have gotten wins against good teams these past couple of weeks and are now 3-1.  I am also a little surprised at how well Atlanta is doing. I know they have talent but they are one of the teams I don't completely trust to go very far. But these past couple of weeks they have been doing well.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Didn't Atlanta start out on fire last year, only to crash and burn during the second half of the season? They remind me of the Cardinals where they have the potential to do big things but it never comes together when it counts.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

Ryan even said they expected to win since Brady wasn't there, and pretty much said that they shouldn't be super excited because that one player was not playing. I will be more impressed if the Bills beat the Pats with Brady, but Bill will probably be pissed about this loss and extra prepare for that game. Sigh

Panic time for the Panthers. 

I hope they will get back on track. But they definitely have to be careful because they have just lost two games against should have beaten. They definitely need to try and minimize these types of losses and losses in general. (I also hope that Cam will be okay and if he is concussed will take the time he needs to recover from that.)

33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Didn't Atlanta start out on fire last year, only to crash and burn during the second half of the season? They remind me of the Cardinals where they have the potential to do big things but it never comes together when it counts.

They sure did. They started out on a nice winning streak and then racked up a lot of losses. They are one of these teams that I think don't end up doing quite enough and/ or have quite enough to really go very far. 

I think that the Colts are another team that is currently like this as well and they are having a rough start to their season. I don't think that the Colts are going to get very far this season.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Should we take bets on whether Jerry Jones blows this newfound chemistry to shit by insisting Romo play the second he's cleared? 

Can you take bets on a near certainty?   Jones has to be losing it.   He has spent years making sure there wasn't a decent back up so he could point to what a genius he was in picking Tony Romo to lead them to a Super Bowl.   Then he takes a flyer on a kid no one else wanted it turns out the kid can actually play.   

• Love 8

Someone please slap the shit out of dan Patrick?

I listened to him on my short trip to work when he was on ESPN........I feel sorry for the simpletons that work for him......I can't watch SNF with him on the screen.

• Love 1

That was a....dull sickening thud.

I lift my head from the *facepalm*ing I've been doing since the 1st quarter to recall that...

....in 2014, also in Week 4, we beat the Patriots at Arrowhead, 41-14.  Brady got pulled from the game.  That Monday, after the Royals won too, Kansas City was Cloud City.

Later on I blamed the Chiefs for lighting the fire that allowed NE's SB win in January.

Here's hoping Andy uses the bye to light the world's biggest fucking fire under the collective asses of my team.

*resume facepalm*

Edited by voiceover
Because the more stats I add, the better my argument.
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

They started out 5-0 last season, with 4 of those wins being against the NFC East teams before anyone had any real idea of how weak the NFC East was last season. With the exception of the one win blowout win against Houston they could probably be described as somewhat "ugly wins".

As a fan I think they look a lot better this season than they did during their winning streak last year.

Their next two weeks look pretty brutal though, playing at Denver and then at Seattle.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Can you take bets on a near certainty?   Jones has to be losing it.   He has spent years making sure there wasn't a decent back up so he could point to what a genius he was in picking Tony Romo to lead them to a Super Bowl.   Then he takes a flyer on a kid no one else wanted it turns out the kid can actually play.   

Yup. That sounds like Jerry. I can hear him now: "Well, now, there's uh, uh, absolutely no quarterback controversy within the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo is our starter. I think that just about settles it."

People keep comparing the surprising success of Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz. I agree that they've both performed extremely well so far. The difference is that Wentz was drafted #2 and was named the starting quarterback. He's supposed to be doing well. Dak was a 4th round draft pick and a back up quarterback--very few people had confidence in his game.

That London game was completely dull and lackluster for 3 quarters, by both teams.  As a fan of the Colts, I could barely even watch it. 

Did get exciting in the 4th quarter, when finally the Colts decided to play.  The team is infuriating.  No way Pagano and Grigson should have been brought back after last season.  So far this year they have managed to prove they should have been fired.  If this keeps up I will be shocked if Pagano lasts the season.  Its the same story every week.  Start slow, get behind by double digits, then let Luck finally play for real and hope the can bring them back.  Sometimes it works, but you can't have any mistakes at the end. 

Dropped pass by Dwayne Allen, the tight end they kept for $6 million a year in the offseason.  That ended it. 

The team should be 3-1 right now, not 1-3, if they had just a decent coach

16 minutes ago, topanga said:

Yup. That sounds like Jerry. I can hear him now: "Well, now, there's uh, uh, absolutely no quarterback controversy within the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo is our starter. I think that just about settles it."

People keep comparing the surprising success of Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz. I agree that they've both performed extremely well so far. The difference is that Wentz was drafted #2 and was named the starting quarterback. He's supposed to be doing well. Dak was a 4th round draft pick and a back up quarterback--very few people had confidence in his game.

Romo will never again be the regular starter for the Cowboys. 

He will come back and play again, but he will either end up injured (most likely) or just play poorly and Dak will  be put back in.  His days are numbered in Dallas. 

• Love 1

From the "Rule Sheet on how to pick NFL Games"

When picking teams on a weekly basis, don't change your strategy when it comes to the Patriots.

Sure Picks are a pathway to disaster.

Referees will play a part in at least one game you pick and

Games played on other continents start really early, too early to drink.

• Love 1