Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Giants fans were cheering the return of Victor Cruz,  and Packer fans were ecstatic to see Jordy Nelson back on the field.  Jordy and Aaron Rodgers have that type of connection a good receiver and QB get when they work together for a long time.  It's as if they can read each other's minds.  It's a beautiful thing to watch when it's your team. 

13 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Giants fans were cheering the return of Victor Cruz,  and Packer fans were ecstatic to see Jordy Nelson back on the field.  (Snip)  It's a beautiful thing to watch when it's your team. 

And vomit inducing when you hate these teams and wish they would fall on their asses instead. Long season ahead indeed.

25 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

...because he has to cover the spread and he just can do it..

Not that I pay attention to the point spread of games, but watching the end of the Colts/Lions game got me to thinking about it.  After Detroit kicked a field goal to up by 2 with seconds left, the Colts took the kick off and tried one of those 47-lateral plays, but ended up in their own end zone, where they were flagged for an illegal forward pass, resulting in a safety.  Turns out Indy was the favorite, but I when I saw it, I thought how those two points could have made a difference if the line were different.

1 hour ago, Popples said:

53647798.jpg

Because I laughed for a long time after I saw this.

What a freakin' Sunday!!  Chiefs come back in the 4th quarter, Alex Smith loses his mind on the sidelines after the game-winner in OT...

....and it's not even my birthday!

Thank you Football Jesus and Rally Mantis (borrowed from the Royals, apparently).

Pats!!! If you had told me yesterday the Pats, sans Brady and AND Gronk, would beat the Cards, I would've said you were nuts. So pleased right now--the AFC East couldn't have broken much better for the Pats today.

Larry Fitzgerald is a fucking BEAST. Good Lord.

No Brady, no Gronk, no excuses for the Cards. They're always such a trendy pick in the playoffs, but they're not going anywhere if they can't beat a team missing its two best players AND another few key starters besides.

• Love 1

I looked it up when they mentioned it was the first time the Pats had played a regular season game in this stadium: the last time they played in Arizona was 2004, and it was Larry Fitzgerald's first home game.

So far as tonight goes... that was entertaining!  ;)

I thought there were some entertaining and also very close games today. Aaron Rodgers did some very entertaining things today, including that TD pass he made to Davante Adams. That was fun to watch. The Oakland/Saints game was also pretty entertaining.

RGIII got hurt again, in his shoulder during the Browns/Eagles game. Hopefully, he will be okay. I thought that Carson Wentz had a solid debut for a rookie. I am interested in seeing how he fares against better teams.

I also thought that Matt Stafford did a good job of helping the Lions win against the Colts today. He did a good job trying to manage time at the very end of that game.

And, I liked what I saw from Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s got nice mobility and was doing some interesting things on the field (like throwing a pass to himself and doing some nice scrambling moves). I am interested in seeing how he grows as a QB and seeing what he does on the field in Tom Brady's absence.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

And, I liked what I saw from Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s got nice mobility and was doing some interesting things on the field (like throwing a pass to himself and doing some nice scrambling moves). I am interested in seeing how he grows as a QB and seeing what he does on the field in Tom Brady's absence.

I suspect a bunch of other teams liked what they saw too...you can practically hear the "cha-ching!" sound right now.

• Love 1

Stupid ass Cards- you can't win with a backup QB and no Gronk? I know that FG was makeable, however it shouldn't have been that close. Now the Pats are likely to win another division title since everyone else in the east looks terrible. Poor Fitzgerald, another year and likely no ring especially with a defense giving up so many third down plays and a seasoned QB overthrowing his receivers.

I am SO glad I took tomorrow off work (AC/DC made me basically deaf and also it's 1 a.m. and I'm still about an hour from home) because I don't listen to sports radio if I'm not working.  The slurping all over the Pats is something I have no desire to listen to.  

That's actually true all of the time, really.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But can Football Jesus throw a great tailgate party?  

Yes, he show up with bottled water, a fish and slice of bread.

THAT turns into wine and fish sandwiches for everyone.

------

Football Jesus showed up to a Monday Night game with the 12 apostles in tow.

The bartender asked him, What will you have?

Jesus looked at the boys, winked and said, One glass of water and a fish sandwich.......

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I also thought that Matt Stafford did a good job of helping the Lions win against the Colts today. He did a good job trying to manage time at the very end of that game.

Matt Stafford was giving me life as he verbally blasted not one but two receivers on not getting their butts down and/or out of bounds to save the clock.  It was like he had seen the end of the Dallas/Giants game and was gonna be damned if that was gonna happen to the Lions!

Wait a minute.  The NFL worked FOREVER to get the Rams back in LA.  So it finally happens, and the Rams are playing the very last game of week one and it's essentially a standalone game.

And they are doing it on the road?!?  What a boneheaded scheduling decision.

15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wait a minute.  The NFL worked FOREVER to get the Rams back in LA.  So it finally happens, and the Rams are playing the very last game of week one and it's essentially a standalone game.

And they are doing it on the road?!?  What a boneheaded scheduling decision.

I think they wanted the players to have a game under their belt before they realize that they're playing in the Coliseum ( legendary, but not exactly Levi's Stadium).

20 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I think they wanted the players to have a game under their belt before they realize that they're playing in the Coliseum ( legendary, but not exactly Levi's Stadium).

The El Lay coliseum is outdated and of the So Cal stadiums? The worst to see any event.

You get up to grab a beer and miss a whole quarter, the tunnels are the only way to get to the seating, the parking sucks ass and the number of seats to sell to get the blackout lifted is capacity, is 102,000 or some bullshit number like that.

During the strike season - the Raiders first in town, they played a MNF game against the Chargers and there probably 40k fans in attendance - I don't think they averaged more than that for their home schedule - and other than a few playoff games they never televised a home game.

During the years that I attended games, I never paid more than 10 dollars a ticket, Al Davis bumped up the prices for the playoff games to 11 bucks a pop. You could get a ticket and roam all around the stadium (during the USFL days general admission was 2 dollars and they fenced off the open end of the venue to keep people from getting better seating.)

So, for 30 bucks I could....

Buy my ticket, get my bottle of Yukon Jack to smuggle in, get a program, buy a hot dog and buy some cokes to mix my drinks, and split the cost of parking with whoever drove.  And party with the "Birth of the Raider Nation".

good times.

• Love 1

I feel incredibly badly for RGIII but I am also finding it difficult to not make a joke about how this is what happens when you sign with the Browns. 

I mean, injuries are not funny and this is serious because he's on IR. But.  Cleveland.

Edited by mojoween
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

Yes, there are plans for a new monstrosity here in Los Angeles, temporarily named "City of Champions Stadium" until some idiot gives more money to Kroenke to call it "Blah blah bank/ cellphone/ fro yo field."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Champions_Stadium

Lord, if that place isn't overkill, then I don't know what is.

33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel incredibly badly for RGIII but I am also finding it difficult to not make a joke about how this is what happens when you sign with the Browns. 

I mean, injuries are not funny and this is serious because he's on IR. But.  Cleveland.

I think Cleveland is where QB careers go to die. Oh, well at least they've still got LeBron and Co.

1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

Yes, there are plans for a new monstrosity here in Los Angeles, temporarily named "City of Champions Stadium" until some idiot gives more money to Kroenke to call it "Blah blah bank/ cellphone/ fro yo field."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Champions_Stadium

The team is going to be called the Inglewood Rams of Los Angeles, Southern California.*

My Pal Al Davis had the chance to put the Raiders in Inglewood, Irwindale, a new venue near the staples center or revamping the Coliseum. The battle between the coliseum commission, the city council and Davis was ALWAYS about the money and who was going to finance the venue.

The other sticking point was Davis jockeying around and claiming that he owned the right to the El Lay area.

* where is the 'new' Guaranteed Rate Stadium?

17 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

That he looks like a future hall of famer after beating one of the league's best defenses.

Didn't know the Browns were a good defense. I'm more impressed with Brady's future replacement who played very well against one of the best D's in the league.

Edited by twoods
1 minute ago, twoods said:

Didn't know the Browns were a good defense. I'm more impressed with Brady's predecessor who played very well against one of the best D's in the league.

Drew Bledsoe played last night? I kid, I kid. But seriously, successor is the word you're looking for.

• Love 1

Ha! Serves me right for typing while I was watching TV, and why steered clear of English centric majors in college. Wow Drew Bledsoe- nuts how long Brady has been the Pats QB. 

Edited by twoods

The Patriots winning was not a good cap to my Sunday, but my G-Men managed not to throw the game away at the end, the Raiders had a good win and Seattle won, so I'm having a great opening weekend so far.  We'll see what happens tonight with the Rams; I'm working hard at becoming a fan, since I whined and yelled for so many years about not having a team in L.A. anymore, but I wasn't a Rams fan the first time around.  Alas, I had another option then.  So, I'm working on it.

I do not understand what Arizona did on their final drive.  They were already in FG range, and Football 101 dictates you call a series of rushes, hoping to pick up some bonus yards to make it an easier shot for your kicker, but primarily to take time off the clock and play it safe with the football by keeping it out of the air.  As soon as Palmer stepped back to throw a pass, I yelled, "What are you doing?!"  Sure enough, the damn thing was almost intercepted.  Thankfully, it wasn't, but the yardage they lost with the penalty meant they wound up going for a longer FG.  Toss in a bad snap, and there goes the game, wide left. 

Hell of a finish between Detroit/Indy, which we were switched to after the Giants game.  I don't care about either team, so I was just enjoying the show - and cracking up at the game of hot potato at the end.  I knew when it happened that the pass in the end zone was not a lateral, and thus there would be a safety tacked on, but the guys who make the big bucks calling the game didn't even see the forward pass; when they saw the flag, they had to wait for the call.

• Love 1

I saw some folderol on Twitter about how good-looking Garappolo is next to Brady and for the life of me I do not see the hotness of Brady in any way, shape or form.  I never have.

And he models!  It does not compute.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ketchuplover said:

Vikes new stadium looks freakin' bad ass to moi.  Proceed Packers!

It's gorgeous. Very sleek and modern with the glass exterior. Job well done to whichever firm designed it.

I'm a Pats fan, so I was happy with the win, even though it was a lucky one. I know everyone hates Brady, but conversely I can't stand Palmer so the look of annoyance on his face after the missed FG made me all warm and tingly. I do like Fitzgerald and I'd love to see him get a ring before he retires.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I saw some folderol on Twitter about how good-looking Garappolo is next to Brady and for the life of me I do not see the hotness of Brady in any way, shape or form.  I never have.

And he models!  It does not compute.

I thought Brady was good looking pre-Gisele, but she's turned him into a prissy boy with his man purses and ridiculous haircuts. Garappolo is smoking hot. I would not mind meeting him in a dark alley at all, lol.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm a Pats fan, so I was happy with the win, even though it was a lucky one. I know everyone hates Brady, but conversely I can't stand Palmer so the look of annoyance on his face after the missed FG made me all warm and tingly. I do like Fitzgerald and I'd love to see him get a ring before he retires.

Let me join you in being irritated by Carson Palmer. He's way overhyped (has never shown up for the big games--I read an article last season that tried to seriously argue he should be a HoF candidate and about wet myself laughing), and he came off as such a tool when he strong-armed his way out of Cincinnati that I just can't root for him.

Despite my distaste for Palmer, I like Fitzgerald a lot, and would like to see him get a ring and rewarded for being loyal for so long. But it's just quite hard to see that happening with Palmer at QB.

imo, Brady's good looking-ness really depends on his hair. When he's got the right haircut, he's hot, but when he's got bad hair, he's closer to average. Garappolo is a more traditional good-looking with a more square jaw and dark hair and eyes.

• Love 1

I think Phillip Rivers is seriously overrated.  I dont understand the slurping that goes on for him.  Usually I think about what would have happened if Eli and co. didn't bully their way out of San Diego.....would Rivers have 2 Superbowl rings....and i just dont think so.  

• Love 6

Watching Pitt vs. Washington and choosing a team to root for would be like choosing to come down with Ebola or West Nile.  There are no winners here.

At least in the next game I have fondness for Jeff Fisher so it won't be entirely distasteful.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Watching Pitt vs. Washington and choosing a team to root for would be like choosing to come down with Ebola or West Nile.  There are no winners here.

Would it be wrong to root for a groin pull?

• Love 4

This is like a home game for the Steelers with all those stupid ass terrible towels. I still get ragey seeing all those ridiculous towels. A Steelers home game against the Pats would probably cause my head to explode.

Cousins got all that money and so far, yikes. Guess it's better than spending it on RG who can't even last one game. I was set to root for him in Cleveland, too.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

'eWhich one?

John, er Chucky.

I could listen to him all day long., his QB show is really good.

-------

I hate chris berman - I wish he fall down a flight of stairs or eat a bad hotdog and go on the IR list. HE is that fat fucker that wrote for the school newspaper as the sports reporter - it was the only way he could get close enough to smell a jock strap without someone punching him

I turned down the sound on the TV and turned on the radio.

I can listen and if the play sounds exciting I can see it 12 seconds later.

It's magic!

----------

I hope someone protests the oppressive government flying war machines over a stadium packed with people.

Bastards

Edited by ElDosEquis

Nice way to start the season for the Steelers. Antonio Brown is unreal and DeAngelo Williams just keeps going. This was a big win without most of the starting WRs and the rookie CB and Safety we drafted who did well in pre season before going down injured. Bring them back and get Le'Veon Bell to finally grow up and the Steelers will be a serious threat.

• Love 1

Thanks for that emoji- I will now laugh whenever I see a fan whipping that thing around because I will think about how hilarious they would look as an emoji. I wonder if there is one for the cheeseheads.

I don't think Goff could have done any worse tonight. Another long sports season in LA (I ignore the Dodgers).

Edited by twoods

Garappolo is a more traditional good-looking with a more square jaw and dark hair and eyes.

I fantasize that he can also sing and dance because the role of Beauty and the Beast's Gaston was tailor made for him.

• Love 3