Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Breaking the Silence: the TLC Abuse Special

I understand. That's why I was trying to find out how many million children have to be sexually molested before it's common enough to be worth discussing at 10 PM on a Sunday night on basic cable.

I think it's common enough to talk about it, address it, and spread awareness; but not common enough to put people into a state of paranoia. Yes 10% is a lot; but to be common it needs to be a majority, in my eyes, and 10% isn't a majority. That being said, it's still too high. Also, at one point, Jill claimed it was so common it happens in 70% of families---the statistics was a lie, but that to me, would be a number that could be considered common. 

It's a touchy subject; as a mom of two daughter's, we've gone over the good touch/bad touch, knowing they can talk to me or their dad...etc. etc, but the reality is, I don't live in fear and I'm not overly paranoid. Despite what I experienced as a child (something I personally will not speak about on this forum), even with that experience---it's not enough to make me fear for my daughter's at every step. I don't helicopter; which is essentially what I think the Duggar's safeguards are with a side dose of heroin. 

• Love 8

Sounds like the special had two particular goals: "Erin's Sexual Abuse Organization" AKA RAINN wanted to promote itself, Erin's book, and Erin's Law on TV, and TLC wanted the endorsement of RAINN to counter the criticism it received regarding the Duggars.

• Love 9

Yes - it does happen a lot, but Jill only said that to downplay whatever Josh has been doing to his siblings, to make it seem it was nothing and bring back the gravy train.

I don't know....maybe Jill has to hang onto it "happening in a lot of families", as though if it is something that is a frequent occurrence she is not at fault. Maybe it is her only other option; it happens a lot beats the he'll out of her immodest behavior bringing this on. I have to give her a pass.

• Love 7

Jill and Jessa have said some things that don't add up.

1. it wasn't a big deal (etc.)

2. We are victims

I wish they would pick an idea and go with it. The problem is:

Jessa and Jill really do FEEL like victims but Michelle and Jim Bob and Gothard have told them to SAY "it wasn't a big deal, we were sleeping"

So, for me, it sent a confusing message on the special. 

I have no problem if Jessa and Jill want to talk about their experiences and the pain it caused them etc.

And it's their right to say "it's no big deal".

But they say both those statements in the same interview so the viewer is left thinking "what the heck?"

That's why I felt they really brought nothing to the show and looked awkward. 

I certainly don't blame the girls for the vile stuff Josh did.  That's not why I didn't like their participation in the show.  It's what Jessa and Jill say themselves. I dont think that's the girls fault. It's clear they haven't worked through any of this and have very conflicting feelings. I wish them healing. 

Michelle was badly out of place there. Maybe show her sitting there but the talking head was too much. It seemed inauthentic. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 7

Everyone copes their own way and I can see this as them trying to cope. I minimize things when I just want it to go away even when deep down I'm not okay

This is what I was trying to say, but Mrs. Mommy said it far better than I.

Just want to add this: I held on to the victim label for years. At 35 I had simply had enough. As long as I considered myself a victim, someone else had the power. I decided then that I would be damned if I was going to let someone else control what went on inside my head for the rest of my life.

I also agree with the poster (wish I could remember who it was) that said they did not get why Jill and Jessa should have been edited out when the Ashley Madison thing hit. Why should they be made to feel dirty and ashamed more than they probably already do?

• Love 5

The thing that gets me the most is the brushing it off with the idea of 'oh, it happens in a lot of families'. Just because you think it happens a lot, doesn't make it okay. If it really is happening so much that it's normalized, it's horrific.

This.  Drive-bys "happen in a lot of" rough neighborhoods, but that doesn't make shooting people to death OK. 

• Love 9

I also agree with the poster (wish I could remember who it was) that said they did not get why Jill and Jessa should have been edited out when the Ashley Madison thing hit. Why should they be made to feel dirty and ashamed more than they probably already do?

I don't think the girls SHOULD'VE been edited out.  I think TLC did edit them out. It's not Jessa and Jill's fault but the Duggar name is being dragged through the mud right now (thanks Josh). But TLC is a business. 

And there are many people who feel that if Michelle and Jim Bob had addressed Josh's issues better, it wouldn't have come to such a disgusting ending. 

I do think that Jessa and Jill sound mixed up on what exactly they feel and what they are allowed to say...so they didn't bring too much to the table.

Honestly, it felt like a field trip.

The Duggars looking at all these terrible stories and then saying "it happens a lot" and "it was only a few times throught the clothes" and "we were sleeping and didn't know".  Then sitting with the survivors.

Like, did Jessa and Jill identify with the other survivors? I didn't get the whole vibe of why THEY even thought they were there. 

I hope good came out of the episode. I really do. 

And Josh is a mess but that's not the girls fault at all. 

• Love 3

The girls can consider the issue dealt with and be coping and have come to terms with what Josh did to them 10+ years ago, and also be upset that the details were mercilessly exposed to billions of people months ago, and that old wounds were needlessly reopened.

• Love 3

I have no problem with them being on the special.  The seminar was much more than they televised so I am hoping that Jill, Jessa and even Michelle learned something from being there and listening to the presenters and other attendees.  They did not say anything to detract from the message, their involvement as shown was not much so it didn't hurt or help.  I think any exposure they have to others is potentially a good thing for them and at least an opportunity.  

I can't judge them for what they said in the Fox interview either.  It was a long time ago and they may have forgiven him and let go because they felt they had to or because they wanted to.  Suddenly it is brought out for all to know and they have to re-deal with it.  Maybe they didn't do it well but that is a lot to put on them.  I hope they did get outside help as they stated.  JB and Michelle's lack of protection and appropriate response is something I will criticize but not the victims.  

• Love 2
The seminar was much more than they televised so I am hoping that Jill, Jessa and even Michelle learned something from being there and listening to the presenters and other attendees.

I would have been fine if they were there without Michelle but that's because I would have wondered if they actually

learned anything. Sitting in a room with people other victims and hear how everything their parents did was wrong.

Maybe even the instructor or one of them come up to talk to them. They've probably seen girls just like them.

Ones who when their parents found out did nothing, they moved to protect their abuser which is common.

But being around people who were abused like they were and things went differently when their parents found

out instead of what happened when JimBob and Michelle found out. This was probably the first time they

were around victims or victims not in Gothard church. Maybe they wouldn't have learned anything but maybe

they really would have. But it can be so different when your around other victims and talking to other victims.

Of course with Michelle being there, there was zero chance of that happening.

• Love 14

Is it common to name laws after yourself?  I can only recall laws that were named after people, mostly children, who died because there either wasn't a law to protect people in certain situations, or existing laws were too weak to make a difference.

• Love 5

I don't believe any of those 3 learned anything.  And certainly nothing they would apply to their own lives.  Because they can pray away the bad things.  They can purpose for only good things to happen.  They don't actually need God, because they have Gothard.  And they just have to do what he says. 

I believe they were there for appearances sake and to fulfill a monetary contract, and nothing they can ever say will make me believe otherwise.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 12

Phew, glad I am not just a cold hearted hag, because something about Erinn rubbed me the wrong way as well.

No, just perhaps a little inconsistent with the position that nobody has a right to judge how the person who was molested chooses to present themself to the world.

• Love 3

None of us can ever know what lies within another's heart and mind -- her motives or her intent. Each of is a bundle of secrets. I am not a believer in the premise that ANYONE is an open book.

My problem with Michelle's participation in this special on abuse is that it negates her adherence to Gothard's teachings. She and her husband are the very public face of Gothardism. The Duggars have made a career and a financial windfall in publicly espousing their beliefs.

They cannot have it both ways. And, in fact, by pretending to respect and endorse the ideas of this special, the Duggars do damage to their own credibility. Wishy-washy doesnt inspire confidence or belief, to me.

I won't address Jill's or Jessa's participation in this show because I believe they are brainwashed collateral damage.

So far, with relation to the 19 Kids, it's my opinion that Josh is no longer a true Gothard believer, who has grave doubts and, even, contempt for the Gothard philosophy. Hence, Josh's problems and fall from "grace." After his incarceration at RU, I believe Josh will eventually bolt. Might take a month, a year or five years. But it will happen. Money is going to be the biggest stumbling block.

• Love 5

This was probably the first time they were around victims or victims not in Gothard church. Maybe they wouldn't have learned anything but maybe they really would have. But it can be so different when your around other victims and talking to other victims. Of course with Michelle being there, there was zero chance of that happening.

And I'm sure that's why she was there.

• Love 15

No, just perhaps a little inconsistent with the position that nobody has a right to judge how the person who was molested chooses to present themself to the world.

Erin ultimately decided to campaign about sexual abuse and disclose that she was sexually abused, and she did so when she was good and ready. Jessa and Jill were outed.
  • Love 4

Except that I did not say no one has a right to judge. I said I saw it differently. Besides, it was not even how she presented her reaction, it was the little girl voice and the way she seemed (to me); something I can't quite put my finger on.

• Love 3

Except that I did not say no one has a right to judge. I said I saw it differently. Besides, it was not even how she presented her reaction, it was the little girl voice and the way she seemed (to me); something I can't quite put my finger on.

A little narcissistic maybe?

• Love 1

A little narcissistic maybe?

Me or Erinn?

I could be way off on this, but I sort of came away thinking she embraced it all a bit too much. That maybe she has become more about her visibility than her cause?

I realize this is exactly who Ma and Pa Duggar are, ironic, no?

Even though I don't want to see them back, I would like to check out the episode she appeared in that someone mentioned upthread.

Edited by dorcastrilling
  • Love 1

Erin ultimately decided to campaign about sexual abuse and disclose that she was sexually abused, and she did so when she was good and ready. Jessa and Jill were outed.

No, they were NOT outed.  They could have very well stood behind the relative anonymity shield laws provided them.  Their names were redacted from the police report (and I'm sure you'll say any reasonable person would have deduced it was them, but that is just an assumption and not at fact at the time of the release).  They CHOSE to do the Fox News interview.  They CHOSE to confirm that they were molested, and it may not have been the first time, as according to the "alice" posts, it was publicly disclosed at their home church. 

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 16

No, they were NOT outed.  They could have very well stood behind the relative anonymity shield laws provided them.  Their names were redacted from the police report (and I'm sure you'll say any reasonable person would have deduced it was them, but that is just an assumption and not at fact at the time of the release).  They CHOSE to do the Fox News interview.  They CHOSE to confirm that they were molested, and it may not have been the first time, as according to the "alice" posts, it was publicly disclosed at their home church. 

Not to mention, Jim Bob, Michelle, Jill, and Jessa, could have asked for that report to be burned back in the day. They chose not to. 

• Love 5

While discussing the were they outed or not, please remember that here we only name the two that came forward. The other victims/survivors are still given the anonymity of the redaction. Even if we can figure it out, let's keep the spirit of the redaction.

Thanks!

• Love 6

I haven't watched the special yet, but it doesn't sound like it was that great. 

It sucks that they are receiving negative comments on their web pages because those comments might stop others in their situation from speaking out.

I feel bad that the girls were molested and I feel bad that it was made public, I feel bad that the only way for them to gain some control over their story was to confirm it..

• Love 2

Well, hopefully all the parents of those children will realize that Jill and Jessa would have been 100% protected by shield laws if their parents hadn't used a perversion of religion to silence the victims and their political influence to shield the predator. 

• Love 19

No, they were NOT outed. They could have very well stood behind the relative anonymity shield laws provided them. Their names were redacted from the police report (and I'm sure you'll say any reasonable person would have deduced it was them, but that is just an assumption and not at fact at the time of the release). They CHOSE to do the Fox News interview. They CHOSE to confirm that they were molested, and it may not have been the first time, as according to the "alice" posts, it was publicly disclosed at their home church.

The victims' names were as redacted as the assailant's name, yet he was named by InTouch. I'll respect the mod's directive and I won't identify who the 4/5 victims, who had parents named James and Michelle, were assaulted at the James R Duggar residence, but anyone with half a brain can figure out who they are, and which narrative applied to which child of JimChelle. I know who they are, and I think most of the posters here know who they are too. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

In the big picture of things if people watched for the girls are hate watched for them, people are getting educated and that is a good thing. The other good thing about the Josh scandal is that people are no REALLY seeing what this family is about. When people are educated they are no longer the cute christian family with a ton of kids. People are finally seeing them for the cult that they are. J

• Love 19

Well, hopefully all the parents of those children will realize that Jill and Jessa would have been 100% protected by shield laws if their parents hadn't used a perversion of religion to silence the victims and their political influence to shield the predator.

There's no evidence of this. They allowed the daughters to be interviewed by cops, and they incriminated him plenty, Josh couldn't reasonably be expected to incriminate himself, and the statute of limitations expired three years after the cops were first informed. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

This special was more proof of the things that the Duggars' did wrong while sweeping this incident under the rug.  The other stories were heartbreaking. I feel for the victims involved. I'm sure the other people at the seminar that Jill, Jessa and J'Chelle were at, were like WTF when they gave those answers. You failed your daughters J'Chelle! Admit it.

Edited by Ljohnson1987
  • Love 6

"Something about that Erin woman rubbed me the wrong way "

I said the same thing when she was on the Duggar show.     She gave me a very bad vibe.

When was she on 19&C? I don't remember her at all.

Little girl voice is not uncommon for women who've experienced psychological trauma at a young age.

• Love 3

There was NO reason for those 3 smiling fools to be on that show. TLC could have found random people on the street to attend the 'seminar'. They have gone on the record to say they are NOT VICTIMS of sexual abuse, so WTF are they doing there?? I had the feeling that JB was there also, lurking over the filming of their segments, and coaching them on what to say. Ick.

The girls can consider the issue dealt with and be coping and have come to terms with what Josh did to them 10+ years ago, and also be upset that the details were mercilessly exposed to billions of people months ago, and that old wounds were needlessly reopened.

Then they shouldn't be on TV (twice now) talking about it. They should just disappear for awhile. This was their own decision. They are adults...they looked happy to be there. Jessa's fame-whore juices were overflowing.

I believe they were there for appearances sake and to fulfill a monetary contract, and nothing they can ever say will make me believe otherwise.  

I agree. This was just another way to get their pusses back on TV. When I saw Jessa smiling away while saying she's going to use this info while raising her bazillion kids, I knew she was just there for the screen time and the bucks. It could have been a seminar about thrift-shopping and she would've acted the same.

If what they're saying is actually an accurate portrayal of their emotional state, they don't feel dirty and ashamed about what Josh did, just about people talking about what Josh did. If that's true, they should not be on TV discussing what Josh did. And that's on them. 

Actually, if they don't think that what Josh did was a problem, they shouldn't be appearing on a program the message of which is that what Josh did is a huge problem. There's no way of reading the situation where they're not lying because they want to be on TV. And I think that's a pretty good reason not to put them on TV.

Proof that they need to go away ASAP. If the special had been about being victims of the PRESS (because that's how they identify) , then, yes, it would've made sense.

Little girl voice is not uncommon for women who've experienced psychological trauma at a young age.

Yes, like the joining of a cult.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 14

All this debate over whether Jessa and Jill's participation/reaction and public statements re: their abuse reminds me of the current controversy over singer Chrissie Hynde's comments about rape victims. Hynde, who was the victim of a gang rape at 21, is under a lot of fire right now for saying that some rape victims need to take responsibility for putting themselves in dangerous situations or enticing rapists by acting provocatively. I feel like Hynde's issues are clearly born out of an attempt to cope with her own rape, but the problem is that she takes her own personal method of coping and extrapolates from that to make more generalized comments that play directly into rape culture. And she doesn't get a pass for that just because she was also a victim. Neither do the Duggars. Although I think Jessa was more guilty of this than Jill...

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7

All this debate over whether Jessa and Jill's participation/reaction and public statements re: their abuse reminds me of the current controversy over singer Chrissie Hynde's comments about rape victims. Hynde, who was the victim of a gang rape at 21, is under a lot of fire right now for saying that some rape victims need to take responsibility for putting themselves in dangerous situations or enticing rapists by acting provocatively. I feel like Hynde's issues are clearly born out of an attempt to cope with her own rape, but the problem is that she takes her own personal method of coping and extrapolates from that to make more generalized comments that play directly into rape culture. And she doesn't get a pass for that just because she was also a victim. Neither do the Duggars. Although I think Jessa was more guilty of this than Jill...

I agree with this analogy. 

Whether Jessa or Jill like it; they were reality TV stars with a fan base that included little girl's. Their message is now spread to said little girl's. That is not okay. 

It doesn't matter that their parents made them famous; they're 2 adult women, married off with access to google who could have clearly read up on the fact that most of the facts and statistics they gave were wrong and had they re-read the police report, the other half of the information they gave was a lie. They're adults; brainwashed airheads aside, they're adults who made this decision and they get to deal with the consequences. 

• Love 15

There was NO reason for those 3 smiling fools to be on that show. TLC could have found random people on the street to attend the 'seminar'. They have gone on the record to say they are NOT VICTIMS of sexual abuse, so WTF are they doing there?? I had the feeling that JB was there also, lurking over the filming of their segments, and coaching them on what to say. Ick.

A quick review of the Kelly File: Duggar Interview Pt 2 transcript suggests they do/did see themselves as victims of sexual abuse.

Then they shouldn't be on TV (twice now) talking about it. They should just disappear for awhile. This was their own decision. They are adults...they looked happy to be there. Jessa's fame-whore juices were overflowing.

Why should anyone be expected to disappear as a result of their sexual abuse being exposed? I'm stunned at the amount of criticism the victims are receiving. I hope no one thinks that's going to encourage other sexual abuse victims to come forward and be subject to scrutiny themselves.

I agree. This was just another way to get their pusses back on TV. When I saw Jessa smiling away while saying she's going to use this info while raising her bazillion kids, I knew she was just there for the screen time and the bucks. It could have been a seminar about thrift-shopping and she would've acted the same.

Proof that they need to go away ASAP. If the special had been about being victims of the PRESS (because that's how they identify) , then, yes, it would've made sense.

Yes, like the joining of a cult.

The sheer gall of Jessa managing to cope.
  • Love 3

My post here is meant with all due respect for all of the victims of sexual abuse and especially these brave people who went on TV to share their experience. Having said that, I believe that having the Duggar daughters on this special was an insult to those brave people. I say that because Jill and Jessa went on record saying that they don't even remember the incident or incidents(? which was it?), they were TOLD that it occurred. They went on to minimize the events or events, were they awake or not? how can one be asleep if they were in the laundry room, etc...How can these now grown women stand with other victims when they themselves have done everything they could to minimize it? Michelle included. She, as a mother, and should be a protector, shielded the offender, Josh, all she and Jim Bob could. Sorry, I think the Duggars don't really understand which end is up.

If "little girl voice" is a result of experiencing early life trauma, what is Michelle's excuse? What trauma did she experience?

• Love 16

I don't care if people hated watched or tuned in because they are fans of the girls. As long as people are educated it's all good. I don't think we will ever really know how the girls feel about the molestation because I doubt they really know. They have been taught not to feel angry, forgive or be accused of being bitter and to keep sweet. Also feelings/coping tend to evolve over time. Perhaps they will start to feel angry when they can't function sexually in their marriage or when they see their own children at the age they were molested and realize just how innocent they really were. Who knows? But what I do know is that the scandal opened the eyes of the average viewer about what this cult believes. On this board people have been talking about it for years but the average viewer thought of them as the Christians with all those kids. What's not to love about a happy christian family? Well a great deal. Blanket training, misogyny, sexual repression, lack of proper education , the list goes on and on. Well the cat is out of the bag and it's over for the Duggars. The sooner they realize it the better. Its over Duggars, you had a good run, longer then you deserved . Time to go home.

• Love 18

TLC have posted the special in its entirety on their website, so now I've had a chance to see it. The Duggars were onscreen for less than a minute, and basically said "it's good to be educated about this, this course is good". Jessa smiled when she mentioned that she's going to be a mother soon, was she supposed to burst into tears?

The shot of the seminar audience where everyone was stone faced except for Michelle, who was doing some weird gurning thing to suppress the "keep sweet", that was weird. Also, did she wear the same shirt the entire weekend?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

I don't care if people hated watched or tuned in because they are fans of the girls. As long as people are educated it's all good. I don't think we will ever really know how the girls feel about the molestation because I doubt they really know. They have been taught not to feel angry, forgive or be accused of being bitter and to keep sweet. Also feelings/coping tend to evolve over time. Perhaps they will start to feel angry when they can't function sexually in their marriage or when they see their own children at the age they were molested and realize just how innocent they really were. Who knows? But what I do know is that the scandal opened the eyes of the average viewer about what this cult believes. On this board people have been talking about it for years but the average viewer thought of them as the Christians with all those kids. What's not to love about a happy christian family? Well a great deal. Blanket training, misogyny, sexual repression, lack of proper education , the list goes on and on. Well the cat is out of the bag and it's over for the Duggars. The sooner they realize it the better. Its over Duggars, you had a good run, longer then you deserved . Time to go home.

I agree with everything you said.   The part about being educated though is what worries me.   I have serious doubts about this Erin Merryn person. After all she was a Duggar guest and we all know that no one gets inside that house unless there is something hinky with them.   They would never let a real competent professional with authentic credentials inside.     Their track record speaks for itself.  

People have a right not to believe Jill and Jessa.     I don't.     Circumstances do not add up, are not credible and as NC said, their beliefs and the way they have raised their children is sick and twisted.    Its been an emotional and physical sledge hammer for their children.

So, shame on them if ONE young girl who has been keeping her molestation a secret and see Jessa as a role model.   So, this young girl will think its supposed to be no big deal.   She will think its better to just act like Jessa and think its just a boy/man being curious.

How many innocent children who have been molested, are being molested , who have ignorant parents will be further harmed by TLC and the Duggars?

• Love 11

That Erin Merryn gave me a strange impression as well. Overly dramatic type of speech, fame whore (naming the bill after yourself?). She wants to help people, and was brave enough to come forward. She gets props for that. I just don't get a vibe that this is a selfless act.

• Love 3

That Erin Merryn gave me a strange impression as well. Overly dramatic type of speech, fame whore (naming the bill after yourself?). She wants to help people, and was brave enough to come forward. She gets props for that. I just don't get a vibe that this is a selfless act.

You know I've been thinking a lot about Erin and the way she comes off; and honestly, I don't think it's as much of a defense mechanism, as it is the way she HAS to speak in front of legislatures. She emphasizes the write words and phrases to keep people's attention yet is direct enough to also pull on your heart strings. To get this type of bill passes, she needs that. However, I don't think in interviews like this, she needs to speak the same way and yet she does. We saw her mellow out a lot when talking about her daughter and with the young girl at the end---if she'd mellowed out during the taped interview, I don't think it'd come off as harsh.

Also naming a law after yourself isn't uncommon when it's something that has come about because of personal experience and continues to drive home the link. Another name would have been easier to forget, but you say the law, you see the face, you remember what she said happened to her and that mean's something. 

Not saying I'd have a cup of tea with her or that she wow'd me, but I think in perspective her actions make sense. 

• Love 1