Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Devan & Rylan

I really liked Todrick as a co-host, so much better than that idiot last week. Both were thirsty but it was more forgivable with Todrick. He was so excited and game for anything.

I actually felt for both Devan and Michele. Both seemed so shy and scared. He seemed to soften at her story about her gross father.

Superficially, she was very pretty. I bet had she been thin he would have had less of an issue with her lies. Also, he had a 5 year old's haircut.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 8

She was pretty! And if she likes black men, I know more than a couple who would love a girl that looks like her. She must have other issues if she's not dating successfully, because she's cute enough.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 2

So now we're back to the fat catfishers & delusional catfish. MTV really wanted to make sure that we realized Michele was fat, she was talking, & the camera was just stuck on her stomach. She was talking & talking & they just stayed on her body & didn't show her face for so long I started wondering if she was seriously deformed or something. As soon as they showed her calves, I knew this relationship was not going to continue.  

• Love 3

The insane camera angles made me first think she was 8 months pregnant then a 12 foot giantess! It was ridiculous. And yes it was another fatfish vs delusional pizza delivery guy who feels entitled to a supermodel to ride along with him. I had zero doubts that he would have been all over her if she was the girl in the profile even with bigger lies. 

Michele is really cute in my opinion and just needs more flattering clothing and better posture/walking/general demeanor. Her body language was all about how ugly and inferior and unlovable she felt she was.

I also LOVED Todrick for his advice to her. She needs to seek out a place where people would really appreciate her for herself. His advice was not only spot on but a refreshing change from the usual.

• Love 12

I did feel sorry for Michele that she was so afraid of his reaction. the funny part to me was the redness that kept creeping up on the catfishees face. LOL

It did end well and Michelle did seem happier and so did Devan. Alls well, that ends well.

Edited by lasandi

I didn't understand why the camera hid Michelle's face for so long. It's not like we were going to recognize her or something. And since we already knew she wasn't going to be the girl in the pictures, what difference did it make for us to see her body but not her face? It really was like they were trying to act like she was some horror movie monster. Which clearly she wasn't.

• Love 5

I didn't understand why the camera hid Michelle's face for so long. It's not like we were going to recognize her or something. And since we already knew she wasn't going to be the girl in the pictures, what difference did it make for us to see her body but not her face? It really was like they were trying to act like she was some horror movie monster. Which clearly she wasn't.

I didn't like that at all. I hate to be like "She has such a pretty face!" because I know that sometimes people who are overweight don't like to hear that, but truly, she had such a pretty face. And great hair! They were treating her like she was either horribly disfigured, or a celebrity by whom we'd be shocked.

I loved when Todrick was like "Don't go in her house!" because I have that thought too. People are crazy! Todrick was a good guest host. I remember him from American Idol; I was still watching it when he was on.

• Love 7

I think the camera didn't go to Michelle's face because they wanted to shock us, the audience that she was...gasp...biracial!

I don't know if Devan was upset that Michelle wasn't white, or that she wasn't thin.

• Love 2

I mean really. She would never skype, he went to her house and the owner said there was no one there by that name, she said she did no social media, except she met him on a website and she said she had been in trouble with the law before but  he never thought there was something not right with all of that, so he kept on with the relationship for over a year? He didn't seem stupid, but I guess staying in the fantasy was easier than dealing with the reality.

I found both of them to be sad. Michelle seemed to have issues that went beyond just being nervous at being called out in a lie.  

I get that when the catfishee learns the truth, they are mad that they have been lied to, but I suspect they are just as upset by the catfisher not being  hot. Do you think that if Michelle was totally hot that Devan would have so easily dismissed her? Doubtful. 

• Love 3

Uhh...maybe they didn't show Michelle's face at first because she didn't want them to? She was clearly worried and coming outside and being om camera (because of the possible reaction). She hadn't agree to present herself yet so they didn't show her face. I didn't see a issue there.

• Love 6

Uhh...maybe they didn't show Michelle's face at first because she didn't want them to? She was clearly worried and coming outside and being om camera (because of the possible reaction). She hadn't agree to present herself yet so they didn't show her face. I didn't see a issue there.

That was actually the impression I got.  I assumed that she had said, off-camera, that Nev could come in with the cameras, but not film her face.  It would have been more tasteful, however, to just focus on Nev, keep her completely off-camera, with maybe an explanation bubble popping up on the screen.  Focusing on her thighs and midsection smacked of, "Oh, she's a fatty!  Surprise...not."  Then again, I'm watching Catfish, so I'm probably shouldn't be looked to as an arbiter of taste.

I, too, though Michelle was lovely, but very insecure, and very sad.  I hope she finds some self-confidence, some good IRL friends, and perhaps someone special, because she seemed like a genuinely nice person.  Yes, yes, misrepresented herself online, I get it.  But to me, there's a difference between someone who initially borrows photos, gets in a little too deep, and and doesn't know how to come clean/extract from the situation, and someone who intentionally sets up profiles that are completely false in order to dupe people into believing they're someone they're not, sees it as a fun game, and then has the gall to be self-righteous about the whole thing when they're called out.  Michelle was not in that latter category, not by a longshot.

• Love 4

I didn't think Michelle was overweight at first, I thought she was pregnant.

I agree that she probably didn't want her face shown.  I think Nev had to convince her quite a bit for her to agree to meet Devan.  He probably convinced her to allow them to show her face as well.  

• Love 1

I also wondered when Michelle said something about her father having 30+ children if her father was the man that the OWN network was going to do a reality show about (until they realized it was in poor taste), and who appeared on that Iyanla show.  I can't recall how many children that man had, but I have to believe there aren't that many men with that number of children.  Regardless, I was sad for Michelle.

• Love 1

I also wondered when Michelle said something about her father having 30+ children if her father was the man that the OWN network was going to do a reality show about (until they realized it was in poor taste), and who appeared on that Iyanla show.  I can't recall how many children that man had, but I have to believe there aren't that many men with that number of children.  Regardless, I was sad for Michelle.

34 kids by 17 women - and the guy was under 40, I think, so plenty of time to make more babies (although why anyone would have unprotected sex with a guy who has 34 kids, I do not know). I watched that Iyanla show. But I think Michelle said her father bragged about NOT caring for his kids, while that guy on Iyanla claimed to take care of all his kids. There's no way that was true, but he did make that claim.

I really liked Todrick as a co-host, so much better than that idiot last week. Both were thirsty but it was more forgivable with Todrick. He was so excited and game for anything.

Todrick has made himself into an interesting New Media figure since his American Idol days. The stuff on his YouTube Channel is great.

• Love 1

I kept pronouncing Rylan's name as "Rill-an" (like Dylan) in my head. Also, did anyone else notice that Savanah (with one N, apparently) had a Facebook friend named "Frostian?" Please tell me that's a nickname. I was hoping Nev would want to reach out to him (or her) just so I could find out more about that name.

• Love 3

Max and Todrick start in the most obvious place: a Facebook search

Please don't change this. I want to see this show.

I was underwhelmed by this completely average episode until Todrick spoke some serious truth: Michele is a prize. Along with being objectively very pretty (she is a goddamn QUEEN), she seems like a genuinely decent person. Fucking Devan looks like a total assclown compared to Michele.

• Love 11

Todrick was great! Unlike the last episode, in which I thought the catfishee was heinous, Michele was very likable. I also thought she was drop dead gorgeous and FAR better looking than Rylan (who looks like thousands of other girls). I hate to mention the weight thing, but if she dropped some, with her height, she could model...or just be a plus size model. Her face is perfection.

Edited by kitten59
  • Love 1

Kitten59, I tried to quote you, but failed somehow. That is what I came to write about, too. She has a gorgeous face, not to mention the hair! I was sad when I heard that she has issues with her ethnicity. If she dropped the weight, not to be a thin hot girl but for health reasons, I bet she'd be amazing! I hope she works on her issues, because she seems like a good and genuine person. As for Savannah, I found her prettier in her pics than on skype. She didn't have anything on Michelle! I couldn't get pass the name Rylan, it's like someone played with the name Ryan and wanted to make a girl equivalent of it.

OMG, Michele is so darn cute!

Of course, Nev couldn't actually tell her that because...why now?  Oh, she's fat.  And he apparently doesn't dig big girls.  Sure, whatever.

I'm glad Todrick was there, and not a total dick. 

Why do so many of the catfishees seem like the worse person this season? There were always a couple in previous seasons, but this season we've had quite a few.

• Love 1

I agree that she probably didn't want her face shown.  I think Nev had to convince her quite a bit for her to agree to meet Devan.  He probably convinced her to allow them to show her face as well.

Judging from the condition of her nails and the hairdo that looked like a child cut it while she was asleep, I think this is the first time we've seen a catfish who clearly wasn't expecting to be on TV. She looked a lot better in the followup.

I think if she didn't seem to tower over Devan I think he might have come around but he looks like a pretty small guy compared to her.  

And she looked cute on the first visit except for those sneakers! Those made her look a bit sloppy.

I was hoping for Max this week, but Todrick was a surprisingly fun substitute, even for someone whose name sounds like a character from Harry Potter.

My first thought when I saw Michele's face was that if she lost some weight, I could totally see future catfish stealing her pictures. Catfish: The Next Generation!

This was one episode that I did not miss Max. Todrick was great. He asked the right questions, and actually made Michelle feel better about herself, not like the thug last week who had a huge chip on his shoulder through out the whole episode. He missed father's day with his daughter because he CHOSE to be on the show on that date.

The camera work on this episode was ridiculous. When Michelle was standing on the lawn they mad her look like Shrek. And clearly she was not that tall and gargantuan.

Edited by summerfungirl

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think the show has an agenda against "fat, unattractive" Catfish. (Maybe the "fat" part, but unfortunately in North American society that usually falls under the "unattractive" category unless for women one has an hour-glass figure and can still be viewed as sexy.) Is this not the most likely demographic to spawn a Catfish?

A person who is attractive in looks and/or personality and more importantly has the confidence to believe they are attractive even if they aren't "10s" by conventional standards will not be setting up profiles on social media with stolen photos of someone they believe is better looking. Unless they're crazy or have some other motive which is far more uncomfortable to watch.

And of course the catfishee would be more forgiving if the catfish turned out to be hot. We're talking about people who fall in love with photos and let their imagination/desperation do the rest of the work. Sure they are having these heart-felt conversations with the person, but to want to marry someone, drop out of school, put your whole life on hold, etc. for someone that you've never met in person or even a Skype-like communication is absolutely delusional.

I really did have sympathy for both Michele and Devan as it was apparent that they are both very lonely and socially awkward. Less so for Devan because I always feel like the catfishee suspends disbelief beyond reason, but there was still some sympathy. They both need to find some way to break out of their shells (which I understand is easier said than done) and not allow this online fantasy world to consume their lives.

She was pretty! And if she likes black men, I know more than a couple who would love a girl that looks like her. She must have other issues if she's not dating successfully, because she's cute enough.

Indeed I think that she is pretty and the bolded part is perhaps a reason that supposedly "no one" was responding to her when she was using her own photos. The accusation of being superficial can go both ways.

I was relieved that Michele wasn't crazy, but using photos of someone that is your friend's friend does not sit right with me because it's so deliberately deceitful and there is less of a disconnect than using a complete stranger's pics, but no more or less wrong. I'm guessing her issues with her looks and being biracial have a lot to do with the area that she lives in and rejection from her deadbeat father. Perhaps she does not have much interaction with her paternal family, assuming that it is her father who is black and she was raised primarily by her white maternal family because I don't think she would have that same desire to be just white otherwise.

ETA: For clarity, if she's not attracted to black men, then by "no one" she meant none of the white/non-black men she was hoping would talk to her.

Edited by My Friend Goo

I looked deep in Devan's eyes and no one was driving. And Nev asking him if he ever asked if she wanted a deep dish pizza delivery? Not only a horrible pick up line, but his nerdy delivery somehow made it worse!

Kitten59, I tried to quote you, but failed somehow. That is what I came to write about, too. She has a gorgeous face, not to mention the hair!

- YES!! I just wanted to grab her and say, "look in the mirror!" It makes me sad that no one has ever told her how beautiful she is!

• Love 2

Very late to this party as  I just watched  Catfish marathon on Hulu.  I hate how dumb and delusional these guys are. Devan was not attractive in the least (he wasn't hideous or anything) and he didn't have much personality yet he believed that this gorgeous charismatic outgoing bubbly girl was so into him even though he'd never met her. I'm not saying people shouldn't date "out of their league" because I believe attraction is based on a lot more than appearances but Devan had very little to offer anyone. He was a pizza delivery guy and wanted to marry his dream girl.  I'm glad he was kind enough to remain friends with Michelle and I agree what she did to him was wrong but come on buddy you were in love with the picture of who you thought the girl was. You really didn't give a damn what she had to say. You deserved what happened.  I can't believe there are people in 2015 who believe other 20 somethings don't have a phone or facebook or can't meet up with someone they are saying I love you too in over a  year. Are people really that delusional?

I have a friend who is 25. She has a good career and she is drop dead gorgeous. She's one of those girls that 99% of people find attractive. She is very picky and doesn't date much. She refuses to settle. She's also very outspoken. Guys hit on her like crazy. And honestly I would think a beautiful smart accomplished young woman like her would have better options but the losers that hit on her are unbelievable. Men twice her age, guys missing teeth, those who are long term unemployed, recently out of prison etc. Her stories crack me up but make me sad at the same time. Men seem to think that no matter how unattractive they are how unsuccessful they are even if they have very little to offer someone and a horrible personality that they are ENTITLED to date a beautiful sexy woman who fits the "ideal" for female beauty. Unbelievable. So I find it difficult to feel sorry for Devan.

• Love 5