Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Fred must have dozed off when making his Final Jeopardy wager.  Or he was trying to be too clever.  Or he lacked confidence in the category.

I would have lacked confidence in that category, too, but as it turned out the clue was not difficult - got it right away.

• Love 5
I was annoyed that Alex didn't prompt Fred to reword his answer when he said E P, or even to give it to him and then say that the contestants were to give the word. Obviously Fred knew what the word was because he filled in the correct letters.

Maybe because it was the first clue in the category, Alex could have been generous and given some sort of "we need the word" prompt, but I have no problem with Fred being ruled incorrect because the clue asked for "this word" formed by filling in the blanks.  It asked for the word, he gave them the letters.  Not reading the clue carefully is on him, just like when contestants give the state instead of the capital, the author instead of the book, etc. 

• Love 3

Why was Alex yakking so much this episode. He made a comment about every.single.answer. Shut up!

Fred thinks doing a yoga pose is the same as dancing? That explains a lot.

I was rooting for Phyllis but Mara seems okay. I, too, was screaming "lobes" at my TV.

I got eject and siege.

• Love 9

G'bye Fred.

I got Siege and Eon.

Alex announced the final jeopardy category "English Musical Theater" in a weird voice. My roommate thought he was trying to do a British accent and I thought he sounded like The Count on Sesame Street.

I think that was supposed to be his upper crust British accent.

Perhaps not quite an instaget FJ but pretty close.

• Love 3

.  I like the new champ, although I was yelling "Lobes, lobes!" at the TV for the breathing DD.

Yeah, they were a little misleading calling them "superior" and "inferior" -- they're UPPER and LOWER!  And yes, the right lung had a middle one as well.

I look at 'em all day in Radiation Therapy; I know this stuff.  LUL, LLL, RUL, RML, & RLL.  I may even get the ICD-10 codes memorized soon.

I didn't know FJ and I do not know what a Pollux is.

Pollux is one of the "twin" stars in the constellation Gemini!  The other is Castor.  Pollux is on your left as you view it from the Northern Hemisphere (as if you are facing the "Twins.")   In mythology, Castor & Pollux are the twin sons of Leda -- hatched from an egg after she was seduced by Zeus disguised as a swan!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 2

I yelled LOBES too, and then I yelled YAY when Fred Yawn made his stupid FJ wager and lost. Mr. Mystery Author said Madame Butterfly for FJ. I said, "Yeah, honey, Madame Butterfly is a laugh a minute, the perfect epitome of British humor." (But I actually did say it was going to be G&S before the clue came up.)

• Love 5

Almost forgot to say....they used a question from last night's test on tonight's show!

The one about complementary angles.

And it irritated me that the "hint" had to do with complimentary, which is a whole 'nother thing! A pet peeve, as when complimentary valet parking is offered. Mikado seemed easy to me, so it was all about the wagering.

Fred thinks doing a yoga pose is the same as dancing? That explains a lot.

LOL! I was trying to picture it, and it just became funnier.

• Love 4

I got lobes, savvy and siege.

FJ was an instaget. I've never seen the show but English comedy and Japanese did it for me.

So long, Fred.

The new champ was being a little extra when the others buzzed in faster. Since she was so happy to win I hope she's able to take it easy.

• Love 3

I got savvy, history, and Sylvia Plath. I immediately said OITNB for FJ, but I wondered if there could be another answer since there's often controversy about shows being called comedies when they're really dramas, and vice versa. Nurse Jackie was one, but I knew that was a few years back. I also considered Transparent, but I was pretty sure that was never in the drama category. VEEP never occurred to me because there's no way anyone would see that as a drama. Oh Colin. How you disappointed me.

Fred's pauses were making me pull out my hair, but then it just became funny.

This was the first year that the Emmys told showrunners that all 60 minute shows were dramas and all 30 minute shows were comedies. Producers could appeal if they wanted -- "Jane the Virgin" was given an exemption. OINTB is still a comedy at every other awards show.

• Love 1

I was so distracted by Alex's accent on the Old Man and the Sea clue that I didn't get it even though it was easy, I just kept wondering what accent he thought he was doing.

I assume it was supposed to be a Spanish accent, since if I recall the book takes place in Cuba. The "posh British accent" he was affecting when announcing the FJ category was kind of funny. It's the same one that he uses to pronounce "Shakespeare" as "Shakespeeah."

I could not come up with "eject," but I wonder if "ditch" would have been acceptable.

I'm another one glad not to be seeing Fred again until possibly the ToC, where I predict he'll be "one and done."

• Love 2

Well, I really liked Fred a lot.  He seemed to be overjoyed when he won, but not smug like some others.  Enjoyed his stories, his big grins.  And, there are a lot of players that jump around lately and I don't see any problem with it. Seems to be a good strategy sometimes.

Does anyone remember what the 3 scores were going into FJ and what the final totals were?  I was stunned that he did not bet enough to win but can't remember what the stats were.

• Love 5

Does anyone remember what the 3 scores were going into FJ and what the final totals were?  I was stunned that he did not bet enough to win but can't remember what the stats were.

Here are the stats (Thanks to thejeopardyfan.com):

Going into FJ:

Fred $11,600

Mara $10,400

Phyllis $8,400

Final totals:

Phyllis 8400 + 3201 = 11601

Mara 10400 + 6401 = 16801 (1-day total: $16,801)

Fred 11600 + 5000 = 16600

• Love 1

I was so distracted by Alex's accent on the Old Man and the Sea clue that I didn't get it even though it was easy, I just kept wondering what accent he thought he was doing.

Me, too.  And I consider the Old Man and the Sea the bane of my existence, American literature-wise.  (Had to read it in high school and it made me hate Hemingway forever.  Would much rather have had Moby Dick inflicted on me instead, if we had to have an sea creature vs man allegory.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I don't understand the fascination with Kung Fu Panda 3. I assume it's a Sony picture but it's being promoted everywhere and it's annoying.

Pretty decent game. Congrats to Chris.

TS's I got were The Netherlands, ordnance, Strauss and Bon Jovi.

For FJ, I thought, " Who was a greedy bastard on the side of the British?" and came up with the answer.

• Love 4

That was a very good game but I am surprised that none of them got FJ.  It was an instaget for me.

I enjoyed the Kung Fu Panda clues.

Congratulations to Chris on his win.  He was doing okay in the J! round but really came alive in DJ!.

My TS's were Troy McClure, Johann Strauss, Dumas and The Netherlands.

I look forward to the College Tournament - it's usually pretty lively.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

The significance of "fortune" in the FJ clue passed me by; I did not consider that the quote would be by a traitor. I thought of Thomas Paine.

I knew Johann Strauss, and I thought of Dumas chiefly because of Dorothy Parker's epigram:

Although I work, and seldom cease

At Dumas pere and Dumas fils,

Alas, I cannot make me care

For Dumas fils and Dumas pere.

I am disappointed that Mara was a "one and done," but Chris seems like a good guy. He reminds me of some older character actor, but I can't think of who.

• Love 2

The significance of "fortune" in the FJ clue passed me by; I did not consider that the quote would be by a traitor. I thought of Thomas Paine.

Ditto. I had trouble deciphering the clue -- maybe the wine had something to do with it -- and I said Thomas Paine.

I had a few where I had the answer on the tip of my tongue, like ordnance and Troy McClure. I did get Strauss. Whoop-de-do.

• Love 2

I don't understand the fascination with Kung Fu Panda 3. I assume it's a Sony picture but it's being promoted everywhere and it's annoying.

Pretty decent game. Congrats to Chris.

TS's I got were The Netherlands, ordnance, Strauss and Bon Jovi.

For FJ, I thought, " Who was a greedy bastard on the side of the British?" and came up with the answer.

I thought they were Panda-ring. Sad that Bon Jovi was a TS. I missed FJ. For some reason I thought they were referring to the Quartering Act, but I couldn't be certain who actually was responsible for it (other than the King, but he didn't seem a good answer).

• Love 3

I'm in Queens, NY. Thank God I ran the NYC borough category.

Same here. I'm in Brooklyn and cracked up by the time they got to the $1000 clue. The only borough left was Queens!

I like Chris. Glad he won.

No clue on FJ. The "fortune" hint went right over my head.

• Love 2

Looks like I am going to miss the Teen Tournament.  My local CBS affiliate is having a dispute with my cable company.  The deadline is tonight at midnight.  Then the channel will go dark.  I will not change providers for one station, especially one who is using the Superbowl to demand more money from the cable company. So annoying.

• Love 2

Thanks Greek Geek......now the wagers don't make any sense, Maya's either.  Enjoyed her, she was so happy to win.  But the new winner seems pretty sharp too.  Hope the next 2 weeks aren't as boring as some of these tournaments are.

Guess I need to take the test......don't expect to do well, but it will be fun. 

• Love 1

I wish I would have got the FJ but I did not! I also said Alexander Hamilton because it was the only one I could think had to do with money but I knew it would be wrong.

When I saw the category, I thought I don't know anything about the Revolutionary War. However, I have heard of Benedict Arnold! It made me realize that usually the FJ answer is something that is more or less a household name. It is not going to be some obscure trivial tidbit that most people never heard of. In most cases it is something quite common. Therefore, my mind should have listed anyone I knew from the Revolutionary War period and narrowed it down from that. Alas, I did not but hopefully this huge mistake will help me in the future!

• Love 1

Aw, no one knew Troy McClure? I guess they didn't remember Calling All Quakers and Locker Room Towel Fights: The Blinding of Larry Driscoll.

I figured the FJ was someone on the British side but I thought it was Major Andre. I should have been paying better attention to Peter Brady's bravo performance of Benedict Arnold.

• Love 6

I got FJ based on the quote, I assumed it must have been a traitor. My mom guessed Cornwallis.

I have never seen an episode of The Simpsons in my life. Oddly. I do get some Simpsons questions right, since it's so ubiquitous, but had no clue on Troy McClure.

• Love 1

Troy McClure was one that was on the tip of my tongue. I could see his face and hear his voice, except for the part when he says his name.

Hi, I'm Troy McClure.  You might remember me from <fill in reference to two old B movies or terrible educational films>

Makes me miss Phil Hartman, who voiced Troy McClure.

• Love 11

I thought I knew my American Revolution stuff better than that, but alas, I had nothing.  I said "Thomas Paine" just to give an answer but I was fairly sure it was wrong.  Then when the correct answer was revealed, I felt like an idiot, because I knew full well that Benedict Arnold switched sides for the money.  Well, that, and due to the influence of his wife and her family.  But she was a large part of why he wanted the money.

• Love 1

Aw, no one knew Troy McClure? I guess they didn't remember Calling All Quakers and Locker Room Towel Fights: The Blinding of Larry Driscoll.

Given that Troy and his many "You might remember me from" moments was recently a multi-day winner on King of Disparate TV Things Mountain here on previously, that should've been an intaget for me, but I couldn't get McClure out of my brain to save my life.  Wonder if they would've accepted just "Troy" instead?  Cause I was saying that bit whilte trying to come up with the last name.

I can see not knowing the Luxor, but if they are talking about a pyramid, how does your mind go to Hard Rock?

Carissa's voice is probably super helpful out in the field, but I wasn't so much pleased with listening to it all night. Her pronunciation of "hundred" made my teeth hurt.

Hey! A category with all women authors that wasn't labeled Women Authors!

When the FJ category was unveiled I said "Niagara Falls" before the commercial but then changed to the Grand Canyon when he read the clue. Yay me.

• Love 6