Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For FJ, Jeremy should have written: "What is Carrot Beer?"  - a contnuation of his earlier joke.

Three good players - once Lincoln shook off his initial inertia.  But they missed 2/3 DDs.

• Love 5

They did so well in the first round!  Then they had to go and start in the middles of categories in the second round and ruin it for me.  <sigh>  Glad Kelly won again.

Carrot beer cracked me up.

TS and missed DD that I got were James Corden, beautiful and spacious, Chrissy Teigen and detached retina.

I did not know Jamba Juice -- I've heard of them, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

• Love 4

I did not get FJ.  I believe Sheldon Cooper likes Jamba Juice but that wasn't enough for me.  I don't think we have it here in Canada.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jamba Juice was an instaget for me, because I used to be obsessed with them ;) But they gave a lot of clues. Alliterative beverage chain that derives from an African name...I could only think of Jamba Juice and Caribou Coffee (and caribou is French). My husband had no clue though, since he has never had the pleasure of drinking a Jamba Juice smoothie. 

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I wish they would have started at the top in the "Scans" category. I had no idea what the hell that was supposed to be about.

Yeah, I found myself completely baffled by the Tarot Cards category. I was just thrown off by the "No. 10" and stuff at the top of the clue.

• Love 2

Yay Kelly!  She's on a roll and I hope she makes it to TOC.

Carrot beer?  Really Jeremy?

I've lived in Denver for 43 years and have never heard it called Broncoville.  The official nicknames are The Mile High City and Queen City of the Plains.  WTH?

I got Cheyenne, James Cordon, beautiful and spacious, and Chrissy Tiegen.

I slapped my forehead when FJ was revealed.  There's a Jamba Juice right up the street, although I've never gone there.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I slapped my forehead when FJ was revealed.  There's a Jamba Juice right up the street, although I've never gone there.

You simply must! I used to get the Strawberries Wild Smoothie all the time. But pro tip, don't get it "light," it ain't as delicious.

I also got Chrissy Teigan, I was surprised that was a TS. Seems like she is EVERYWHERE lately.

• Love 2

I said Coca-Cola for FJ because it's alliterative.  There are no Jamba Juices around here and I always thought that was the type of juice, not a proper name.

PLEASE don't ask me what flavor Jamba is.  I realize now that doesn't make a ton of sense.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

You simply must! I used to get the Strawberries Wild Smoothie all the time. But pro tip, don't get it "light," it ain't as delicious.

I never go for light!  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Love 1

Re the Autoclave. When I worked for dentists, they used one. The dentists were orthodox Jews. Periodically, a guy would come in - a guy they knew - and would ask to use the autoclave. Turns out, he's the Mohel, and he wanted to sterilize his bris (circumcision) instruments.  They'd let him.  <shrug> Go figure.

I totally missed FJ - once I got Dunkin' Donuts in my head, I couldn't think any further. (Hey, I got the alliteration part right...)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've lived in Denver for 43 years and have never heard it called Broncoville.  The official nicknames are The Mile High City and Queen City of the Plains.  WTH?

Pretty sure those were all Fake Capital City Nicknames.

I didn't come in until about halfway through DJ, but I got detached retina and charitable trust.

Jamba Juice came to me pretty quickly.

My dad is from Oklahoma, so I'm rooting for Kelly to keep winning.

• Love 1

I thought Jeremy was at least going to say carrot tea (ct), but carrot beer was really funny. 

I've never heard of Jamba Juice.  The only thing I could think of is Coca Cola.

• Love 1

Yeah, he pronounced the way I say it, i.e., wrong.

I got a real good laugh out of carrot beer. That was great.

For TSs, I only got James Corden and detached retina. I couldn't quite remember Chrissy Teagen's name. 

I didn't get Jamba Juice. I just couldn't come up with any chain beverage place other than Bevmo, which of course didn't fit the clue. I've been to Jamba Juice, though it's been a while. I used to enjoy their Macha Green Tea, I think it was called.

• Love 1

Unless Kaiser Wilhelm I also had an arm issue and was Queen Victoria's grandson, there is no way that should have been accepted as correct. 

Just like Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth II are not the same person.

Plus, they had just preceded that Kaiser Wilhelm II clue with clues about James II of England, Leopold II of Belgium and Philip II of Spain -- when dealing with royalty you have to be specific.  Because no way would the judges have accepted King Louis for the Louis XIV $400 clue.

The sound in the KC BBQ category video clues was terrible.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, I found myself completely baffled by the Tarot Cards category. I was just thrown off by the "No. 10" and stuff at the top of the clue.

Wheel of Fortune, Chariot, Star, Emperor, and Hermit are all types of tarot cards. 

BTW, there is a wonderful mashup of "Amazing Grace" with "The House of the Rising Sun." I didn't realize how well it flows together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN6u2gmdKfE

Edited by DrScottie
Added link
  • Love 2
(edited)

FJ came to me pretty quickly. A couple of years ago I was totally hooked on Berry Upbeet then I got a new job downtown and my life forever changed... Two in a row since Gandhi's glasses popped immediately.

Poor Jeremy. I was just starting to geek crush on him but he lost his groove. Kelly's  still a great champ though.

That was cute when Lincoln got the Lincoln clue. 

I also got Chrissy Teigan, I was surprised that was a TS. Seems like she is EVERYWHERE lately.

I was kind of glad that happened because she's on my Irrational Hate list. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice person but her Samsung ads were like nails on a chalkboard for me and she sometimes reaches Kardashian-level Instagram abuse.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
More justification of irrational hate
  • Love 2
(edited)

I hate to be one of those people who is proud of their ignorance but I have no idea who Chrissy Tiegan is. I think I've heard her name but that's it. 

I am really liking the champ,Kelly  

Edited by Judois
Missing word
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Wheel of Fortune, Chariot, Star, Emperor, and Hermit are all types of tarot cards. 

That part I figured out pretty quickly (although I know almost nothing about tarot), I think my train of thought was just derailed by the giving of numbers at the start of the clue. I think when they give too much information it almost makes it harder, in a way.

• Love 1

I first knew of Chrissy Teigen when she was a frequent guest on The Dan Patrick Show.  I absolutely loathed her because she was the stereotype of girls being cutesy about sports.  

However, she looks good in a swimsuit, she's cute on The Price is Right, she married John Legend and he wrote one of the best songs of all time about her and she's super funny on Twitter.  So I came around and now I adore her.

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Saskatchewan TS is one of those where my impulse is to be surprised no one got it - Regina is right there in the clue - but then I remember how bad most Americans are at U.S. geography these days, let alone world geography.

The Buffy Sainte-Marie reference is what tipped me off to Saskatchewan...the Cree connection.

• Love 2

When the one guy said onomatopoeia, it sounded to me like he mispronounced it. I thought I heard an extra "on" or "an" at the beginning.

He did that a number of times. He had kind of a weird speech anomaly. I don't know if it was just because he was nervous or what, but I found it rather distracting. He was a little too intense for me anyway, I'm glad the champ won again. Overall, it was a fun game.

I immediately came up with Dunkin' Donuts for FJ and knew it had to be wrong, even though, as has been pointed out, it did fulfill the alliterative requirement. Thought of Jamba Juice just before the time ran out.

• Love 1

Unless Kaiser Wilhelm I also had an arm issue and was Queen Victoria's grandson, there is no way that should have been accepted as correct.

Yeah, I forgot about this. She should have gotten a BMS.

• Love 2

But the category was already about seconds or 2s or something.

No, it was just The Man Who Would Be King, but all but Louis XIV were Somebody II.

• Love 2

Well, I'm pretty sure no one calls Boston "the city of Paul Revere," (I live here) and I'll take @CarpeDiem54's word that Denver isn't actually called Broncoville, so I'll concede it might be just 40% fake nicknames.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've lived in Virginia almost all my whole life, and I've never heard Richmond called whatever they called it in the Capital City Nicknames category.  So that's 60% fake.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2

I doubt most of the nicknames were official, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came from tourism campaigns or sources like business/museums/societies/franchises that make money off the subject of the nickname (eg the Broncos, Frontier Days, etc.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rcc said:

At least they got lobster for Maine right! 

Can you tell me which clue involved lobster and Maine?  I have absolutely no memory of that one!  I must've blacked out.  (Too much lobster?)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Can you tell me which clue involved lobster and Maine?  I have absolutely no memory of that one!  I must've blacked out.  (Too much lobster?)

Sorry I can't remember the clue.

• Love 1
On 2016-06-03 at 8:02 PM, Trey said:

I did not get FJ.  I believe Sheldon Cooper likes Jamba Juice but that wasn't enough for me.  I don't think we have it here in Canada.

I also thought we don't have it in Canada, so I googled it to make sure, and there are literally two in the entire country. I think I have heard the name once or twice before because it sounded vaguely familiar, but there is no way I would have ever come up with Jamba Juice. Also I was annoyed that the clue referred to an "African" word as if "African" is a language.

The only alliterative beverage brand I could come up with was Coca Cola, and I know the origin of that name comes from coca plant (cocaine).

• Love 3

The cultural anthropology TS also surprised me, given how many people take that as an elective in college (I took "Cultural Anthropology Through Film"). 

So I guess you saw a lot of Napoleon Chagnon?

• Love 1
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, clanstarling said:

I doubt most of the nicknames were official, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came from tourism campaigns or sources like business/museums/societies/franchises that make money off the subject of the nickname (eg the Broncos, Frontier Days, etc.)

The Frontier Days one I'd actually heard, years ago.  Mind you, I live in Maryland, not Wyoming, so I'm pretty sure it was from a tourism campaign.

• Love 2

Congrats to Stew on his win.  Sorry to see Kelly go but she did it to herself by not betting enough on the DD.

I know I got quite a few of the TS's but I forgot to write them down.

Totally blank on FJ but smacked my head when it was revealed.

• Love 3

Also, if she had gotten the DD right -- revenue, was it? -- she might have won.  Oh well.  Stew is non-offensive.  :)

In addition to that missed DD, I also got wheat germ and interfaith.

Not a bad game.

• Love 2

Sorry to see Kelly go, but I love a man in uniform.  Lots of wild guesses.

I got germ, Russian, manicure and interfaith.

I was clueless on FJ and then banged my head against a wall when the answer was revealed.

• Love 4

Oh, right, manicure.  I got that, too, although I, like Kelly, said nail polish first.  Clearly we both forgot the category!

I was working my way to Amadeus (had the -deus part), and got distracted by a phone call.  No idea if I would have gotten it or not.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Also, if she had gotten the DD right -- revenue, was it? -- she might have won.  Oh well.  Stew is non-offensive.  :)

She should have gotten revenue for sure. Income and french word for return had no business being a $1200 DD.  I would have expected wunderkind or cipher to be the $1200 response instead. 

As for Amadeus, I never heard the term luminary applied to Mozart so I was thinking of scientists and philosophers with well known middle names until I re-read the bottom half of clue. Normally I think of Mozart as a prodigy and virtuoso, but he certainly qualifies as a luminary. Then, I thought of middle names with the romance form of God in them and it was the only thing that came to mind. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Totally blank on FJ but smacked my head when it was revealed.

I got home just in time to see FJ.  The only well-known person from that era with a middle name I could remember was Quincy, as in John Quincy Adams.  In my defense, I had just spent 10 hours on the road...

• Love 3

I got FJ by ignoring everything in the clue except for "Latin" and lover of God. Once I thought about that, a light bulb went off. It was a good clue with extra info that people could easily get hung up on (like thinking about known middle names). 

• Love 7
(edited)

Too bad Kelly didn't get that first DD (revenue).  I think that's what made her bet so conservatively on the other DD.  I'm sad she's gone, but new guy seems ok.

I said nail polish, too.  Yeah, forgot the category!

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3