Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, rereader2 said:

For FJ I first thought Venus because of all the female names, but then second-guessed myself, because how can a planet with temperatures hot enough to melt rock have surface features? So now I have to go back and read up on Venus, because I am clearly wrong.

When I think of surface features, I automatically think of Mars, but then I thought of Venus due to the similar names. I never really think of Venus having "surface features" because when you see pictures all you see is the atmosphere, but it's the planet most like Earth, so it must. I didn't know temperatures there were hot enough to melt rock, though - aren't Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars all considered the "rocky planets"?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, operalover said:

Also how did they miss La Boheme- Paris the other night and why did that guy guess Prague? Just guess any city? 

I think he was thinking they were actual Bohemians in Bohemia, ie., Czech Republic. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think he was thinking they were actual Bohemians in Bohemia, ie., Czech Republic. 

I thought the question was easy-peasy, but I don't fault his thought process.  Bohemians vs. bohemians.  If I knew nothing about opera, but knew that Bohemia was in the Czech Republic, I might've gone with Prague.

• Love 2

Fill-in-the-blanks Ten Commandments -- really clue writers ?  What's next for a category -- three letter words starting with 'th' ?

Apparently no Trekkies today since no one got that tricorder clue.

I completely missed FJ.

• Love 6
(edited)

FJ was an instaget for me, but then I totally second-guessed myself because I wasn't sure of the dates.  I think I still would have written it down, since I really couldn't come up with anything else.

I couldn't believe the guy missed penguin!  What else could it have been?

I did find the Vice President category nearly impossible, though.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, just prin said:

I've found this tourney to be less than thrilling. And at its end, I'm going to celebrate by treating myself to a dish of those rare and delicate brown things!

The first game was pretty good but it's been all downhill from there.  The one lady (non-winner) on Monday had $11,000 so she'll be a shoe-in for the semi-finals.

My only TS's that I remember were penguin and Adams in Vice President's surnames.  Did not get FJ.  I said Mark Twain too but was pretty sure it was wrong, being too early for him.  I did get it as soon as Alex gave Barnum's famous quote but I suppose everybody did then:).

• Love 2

I got all the TSs today, but the only one I can remember now is The Normal Heart.  And Barnum, so for once a wry observation wasn't Mark Twain, which is nice.  I agree with Carpe that this tournament is making me feel like a genius, which is a little sad.

It was fun to see a photo of Sunnyside, Washington Irving's house.  My husband (boyfriend then) and I went there once a long time ago, and the resident cat latched onto us and took us on a personal (purr-sonal?) tour of the entire home and grounds.  We just followed wherever it led. Then it walked us to our car and watched as we drove off.  It was a very sweet day and a nice memory triggered by that clue.  A beautiful place to see--go if you ever have the chance.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I first said transporter, then when that was wrong I said phaser. Why should tricorder have been obvious?

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought black swan.

For TSs, I got The Normal Heart and Adams. I screwed up the 5 Commandants category. For the second one I said CRAVEN image instead of graven image. And for the first one I said "no craven Gods" instead of "no other Gods."

I liked Terrie saying, "Let's get it over with. Common Core for 400." 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

When I think of surface features, I automatically think of Mars, but then I thought of Venus due to the similar names. I never really think of Venus having "surface features" because when you see pictures all you see is the atmosphere, but it's the planet most like Earth, so it must. I didn't know temperatures there were hot enough to melt rock, though - aren't Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars all considered the "rocky planets"?

I'm too lazy to look it up, but IIRC, Venus is a case of the greenhouse effect run amok, with temps averaging close to 900F, and has a molten surface--at least, that's how I remember it! It's hotter than Mercury, I know that, even though it's further from the sun.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I first said transporter, then when that was wrong I said phaser. Why should tricorder have been obvious?

I think it is only obvious if you watch Star Trek, hence the comments about there not being any Trekkies on tonight.

The clue was for a diagnostic tool - the transporter transports things, the phaser is a weapon, and the tricorder is what the doctor always scans people with to identify what is wrong with them (there are other types of tricorders as well, but that is the one that sticks in my mind most!)

Just now, rereader2 said:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but IIRC, Venus is a case of the greenhouse effect run amok, with temps averaging close to 900F, and has a molten surface--at least, that's how I remember it! It's hotter than Mercury, I know that, even though it's further from the sun.

Cool, I remembered about the greenhouse effect and that it is hotter than Mercury, but I didn't know it had a molten surface. Which of course begs the question, how *does* it have surface features?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I think it is only obvious if you watch Star Trek, hence the comments about there not being any Trekkies on tonight.

The clue was for a diagnostic tool - the transporter transports things, the phaser is a weapon, and the tricorder is what the doctor always scans people with to identify what is wrong with them (there are other types of tricorders as well, but that is the one that sticks in my mind most!)

Cool, I remembered about the greenhouse effect and that it is hotter than Mercury, but I didn't know it had a molten surface. Which of course begs the question, how *does* it have surface features?

That was my exact thought, which is why I figured the answer couldn't be Venus! (Maybe it has surface features in the same way Jupiter has "surface features"?)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Ah, I missed the part about it being a diagnostic tool. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

We both spaced out on the name and sat there waving our hands as if we were Bones using the tricorder.

• Love 7

Whenever the correct response is Aaron Burr, I always say it like I have a mouth full of peanut butter and no milk.  Anyone do that?

I said blue-footed booby for the South American/Magellan bird.  I did get Barnum right away.

• Love 9

In his defense, penguin didn't even cross my mind.  (Or is it 'penwing' as Benedict Cumberbatch pronounces it?)  I said frigate bird but knew that wasn't right.  He was obviously having the same brain fart as I did.

I screwed up the 5 Commandants category. For the second one I said CRAVEN image instead of graven image. And for the first one I said "no craven Gods" instead of "no other Gods."

I did the same thing with graven image for "no other gods".  I'll blame not having watched The Ten Commandments in years for that one.

I did get Adams and FJ.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Hayden Planetarium?  Really?!  I'm not impressed with the contestants thus far, many TS's, not many correct FJ's.

I said "planetarium" - would that count?  Had no idea the specific name of it though.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

In his defense, penguin didn't even cross my mind.  (Or is it 'penwing' as Benedict Cumberbatch pronounces it?)  I said frigate bird but knew that wasn't right.  He was obviously having the same brain fart as I did.

Me neither,  (and have you watched BC on Graham Norton doing his best to pronounce it correctly - hilarious!)

Just now, clanstarling said:

Me neither,  (and have you watched BC on Graham Norton doing his best to pronounce it correctly - hilarious!)

Yeah, that's where I saw him mispronouncing it for that nature documentary.  Boy couldn't say it right to save his life.  I'm not the biggest BC fan, but he was hysterical on Graham Norton, between the penwings and the photo bombs.

• Love 2

It's a sign that the board probably won't be particularly difficult if I get two TS's before the first break, which were Gore and The Normal Heart. Then added on Ironweed, the Hayden Planetarium and Gray's Anatomy. FJ was an instaget. I love these tournaments, they make me feel so *smart*. 

Add me to the list of those who found the Venus FJ to be a horrendously worded clue. I couldn't figure out what they were asking for. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, just prin said:

Jeopardy should be ashamed of itself!

I didn't notice anything untoward in the game. What was it?

This was a much better game than the last few games.

Bill really pulled up his socks in DJ.  I'm glad he and the lady on the end made it into the semi-finals.

Didn't get too many TS's, I just remember Galileo and the missed DD of Grand Canyon.  Instaget FJ.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thought that game possibly the most simple I've ever seen on the show. I'm the world's worst trivia player--tune in to see the best--and I could answer most of the questions. Sad. In fact, I found the entire tourney dumbed down, on the order of the celebrity tourney. Teachers are not dummies. They did not have to do that!

Altho we have to admit, a few of these teachers did not play well, even with J's ample assistance!

YMMV, of course!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 3

I got Grand Canyon and Queen of Sheba.

I didn't understand that clue about the word colonel being pronounced the way it's spelled.  Huh?

I wonder if the contestants have to fork over the money to fly to Washington, DC?  They don't make boatloads of money, so that could be a hardship.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I didn't understand that clue about the word colonel being pronounced the way it's spelled.  Huh?

In English, we pronounce it "kernel". In France they say actually say "co-lo-nel"

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Well, then that guy should have been dinged because he said kernel.

I forget how they worded the clue, but I think they were asking for the English word... Can't remember! Then Alex pronounced it the French way, but so quickly and quietly I almost missed it!

• Love 3

I think the only TS I got was 'lute.' In the Burro category, instead of 'bray,' I was trying to make the four-letter word 'eore.'

Hey, progress! FJ was just 'Authors,' not 'Women Authors.' Huzzah.

• Love 7
(edited)
48 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think the only TS I got was 'lute.' In the Burro category, instead of 'bray,' I was trying to make the four-letter word 'eore.'

I know I had to pause to double check that the clue actual said "she"!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Did the man who missed FJ guess Laura Ingalls Wilder ? She was born in 1867.  It sounded like AT said Wild at his guess, but I was not sure.  It was an Instaget for me, before he even dividers reading the clue. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, just prin said:

Thought that game possibly the most simple I've ever seen on the show. I'm the world's worst trivia player--tune in to see the best--and I could answer most of the questions. Sad. In fact, I found the entire tourney dumbed down, on the order of the celebrity tourney. Teachers are not dummies. They did not have to do that!

Altho we have to admit, a few of these teachers did not play well, even with J's ample assistance!

YMMV, of course!

I didn't think it was any easier than any of the other games in the tournament, and it was not the easiest Jeopardy game I've watched. I missed many of the same answers they did. Maybe this game was just better suited to your knowledge base? Jeopardy can make me feel like a genius one day and an idiot the next.

I do think the Teachers Tournament is often easier than the regular shows, but I think that's because a lot of teachers do qualify for regular Jeopardy.

• Love 3

Whenever the correct response is Aaron Burr, I always say it like I have a mouth full of peanut butter and no milk.  Anyone do that?

I think it would surprise me if anyone didn't do that.  Anyone alive and watching TV when that commercial aired, anyway -- maybe not those for whom it was "before their time."

That finally happened, and I missed it?  Welcome to the 21st century, clue writers.  Now keep it up.

I haven't been watching the show much at all lately as I haven't been getting home in time, but I don't particularly care about missing Teacher's Tournament episodes -- they usually wind up pissing me off because the clues have been dumbed down.  Not to celebrity J! levels, but noticeably.  It's offensive.  I would hope that they'd gotten better about that practice, too, but I see from commentary here that it's still happening to at least some extent.

• Love 2

All three contestants from Friday's show were pleasant, but the woman was driving me nuts with her tone. It seemed like she was wasting time when she would say stuff like "Let's finish the category" or "Let's move along to...". That's another 20-30 seconds that could be used on another clue. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, just prin said:

Jeopardy should be ashamed of itself!

I don't know if it rises to the level of shame, but it does seem that these games have been pretty ridiculously easy, and some of the contestants may not have been the best.  I also have had DVR problems, as some others have had, so I only have the last two quarterfinals on which to base my opinion.  If both losers from Friday got in, though, with the scores they had, I'm guessing the first three games must not have been any better.

• Love 3

Agree with all the Women Authors comments. When the category showed "Authors," I actually told my husband, "well, you know it'll be a man, since otherwise they'd put Female in the category," then when it said "she" I was like WHAAAAAT?!

• Love 4

No J. game is suited to my knowledge base! LOL. And I found some agreement with my "easy games" stance in comments on another J. board, one of which "dared" to call the tourney a teen one!

• Love 3

I could see that, but (and I don't remember what it was) there was something in the clue that indicated Antarctica, which generally means penguins, especially in Jeopardy! world.

• Love 2

"During their trip around S. America, Magellan's crew saw new creatures including this bird they called a black goose."

Yeah, if I'd been paying attention to the location, I would have thought of penguin.

• Love 2

Does anyone have data on how much money people win in teachers' tournaments vs. regular weeks?  That might correlate to whether TTs have easier questions.  I think they do, and coming from a family with many teachers I find it a bit insulting,

Would it make sense to have a thread for teachers' tournaments here, as we do for some other special weeks?

Teachers tournaments winnings are the same as the College Championship, per Wikipedia, and significantly lower than Tournament of Champions winnings.

Winner: $100K (vs. $250K on ToC)
2nd place: $50K (vs. $100K on ToC)
3rd place: $25K (vs. $50K on ToC)

So you would think that the clues should be at least as tough as those during the College Championship, but nope, the Teachers Tournament questions are definitely easier.

• Love 2