Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I missed the show yesterday, so I didn't see Josh!'s second win. I'm amused by all the rage directed at him here, and the nostalgia for Matt already. I didn't get annoyed by anything Matt said or did, but I did get tired of all the runaway games, so I'm not wishing him back. I'll be interested to see if Josh! has enough of a winning streak to get into the ToC. I want to see him and Matt go head to head, although I may need to mute the TV and turn on closed captioning.

• Love 1

I answered Angels because the full team name is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and while that's not technically redundant, it was the closest thing I could come up with quickly. Just before the 30 seconds was up, I thought of the Mets. New York Metropolitans is kind of redundant, I think, but I would have gone with Angels had I been on the show, so I would have given the right answer for the wrong reason. I didn't think of City of Angels/LA Angels until Alex said it.

So Josh! is a metal fan. I FFed through his interview, but caught the tail end where Alex said it was the cost of being a fan of that kind of music. I wondered what kind of music he meant, but didn't care enough to rewind and find out. 

• Love 2

I thought of the Mets. New York Metropolitans is kind of redundant, I think,

That's a better guess than what the three contestants came up with. But didn't the clue say something about a translation? Which is why I thought of the Padres. Not that I was correct either!

And yeah, a "double redundancy" is redundant indeed.

Thanks a lot dcalley and Trey, for making me have to watch how Exclamation Point! JOSH! is dressed on Monday. Ugh.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

That's a better guess than what the three contestants came up with. But didn't the clue say something about a translation?

New York Metropolitans is what one of them (Josh) came up with.

Yes, translation.  The clue read, "When translated, the full name of this Major League Baseball team gets you a double redundancy."  I'm in Los Angeles, but Dodgers didn't create any sort of redundancy, so I moved on to other cities (and came up with nothing needing to be translated, so gave up) -- I always forget the Angels have Los Angeles in their name (they're just Anaheim to me), so it didn't even register.  Dumb!

• Love 1

I didn't think of the angels but when they said the answers I kind of had a duh moment. The only thing I could come up with was the Phillies because phillies is just shortened from Philadelphia I don't think it was right but the angels didn't even pop in my head.

• Love 1

I just caught up with the last three shows, so my emotions have run from the high of Matt losing to the lows of UNBELIEVABLE! FUCKNUT!.  You all have already said everything I would have said, and said it better.  I'm most impressed that it only took them a few months to find someone who's actually worse than Dances with Drumsticks.

I did have my own moment of backfiring smart-assery with the exclusion principle question.  I knew the answer they wanted was electrons, but the answer I was saying on my couch was leptons, which is a more generic class of particles (which does include electrons).  I double-checked later, and while leptons is correct, the most correct answer is actually fermions, a yet more generic class of particles (including leptons).  So I managed to both be snotty enough to try and outdo their expected answer, but not be smart enough to give the best answer possible.  At least it was all only in my head.

• Love 3

IIRC Alex explained the double redundancy as The Los Angeles Angels translates to The The Angels Angels. 

The point people were making when they said that a double redundancy is redundant is because a redundancy is when you include extra things that are not necessary, and in the clue, "double" was not necessary. The Los Angeles Angels is a redundant name.

I think "double redundancy" was to clue you in that two words were repeated (The/Los being one redundancy and Angeles/Angels being another), but it just seemed to me to be a poorly worded clue that doesn't make sense unless you already know the answer.

• Love 5

I work at a YMCA and there is somewhat creepy guy who hangs out (and was suspended earlier this year) and even has comedy club videos online. Josh reminds me of him.

On Facebook, I found his personal page and several of his friends cheering for him and asking others to be sure to cheer for him.

The other guy last night was named Matt. I wondered what if the other Champion Matt was still on. Would they have to write last names or an initial after Matt ? He was just starting to grow on me and I was finally starting to like him when he lost.

• Love 1

When I religiously watched baseball in the 80's they were the California Angels.  This is when Gene Autry owned the team.  I stopped caring about baseball in the 90's when my home team went from the American League to the National League.  I never knew about the name change to the Anaheim Angels, and then the Los Angeles Angels (1996).  I had to look it up.  When this answer was revealed I said to my husband, there's really a team called the Los Angeles Angels?  I had no idea.

• Love 1

The other guy last night was named Matt. I wondered what if the other Champion Matt was still on. Would they have to write last names or an initial after Matt ?

New-Contestant Matt would still be sitting in the waiting area if Champion Matt were still winning. New-Contestant Matt might have been waiting several tapings for Matt to lose so he could get his turn, then he ends up competing with JOSH! Ugh.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

He was even worse today. God. His stupid ass story about giving himself whiplash while headbanging? This guy is an UNBELIEVABLE FUCKNUT indeed. I cannot believe he won again. What a bunch of dumb shits with the FJ too. Giving all these English team names despite the clue saying it was a "translation." What a bunch of romper-room fuckery.

I said the San Diego Padres, even though that didn't make any sense, because to me, the Angels will always continue to be the California Angels.  I don't remember ever hearing them referred to as the Los Angeles Angels, although I do remember them being called the Anaheim Angels for awhile; I'll cop to not having followed MLB for more than a decade now.  But yeah, the "translation" should've at least given them a team with a non-English name.

• Love 3

To any Big Brother fans out there, this current champion's screaming habit reminds me of Johnny Mac from this summer (but I found Johnny Mac to be amusing. But screaming Jeopardy answers is not.)

• Love 3

Josh is one big, obnoxious jagbag. He has the male equivalent of vocal fry or maybe even Peewee Herman. And when he wins a double jeopardy question, he does a fist pump that IMHO, should be flagged for taunting. Can't wait until he loses. I wonder why so many recent contestants come off as such assholes?

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 5

I only got the FJ because Cruz and Bardeem  were the only married Spanish actors that I knew.   The That's Shoe Biz category made me realize how fashion impaired I am.  JOSH! will undoubtedly use his Jeopardy experiences in his stand up act.  I'm sure that the stuffed animals in the basement will love it!

• Love 6

Well, I guess we won't see Josh! in the ToC. I'm happy for Dean; she was off to such a shaky start I thought she would be a disaster. There were several TS's that I didn't think were that difficult (not recalling any at the moment, though), so she may not last long. That was kind of a grim story about misidentifying her husband just out of cancer surgery.

• Love 3

Antipasto was a TS? Really?
I laughed pretty hard at the answer of garlic bread - it sounds like Dean's only experience with Italian food is East Side Mario's. I was surprised that she came back to win it.

I was also surprised that Kevin was a TS (We Need To Talk About Kevin).

For FJ I also thought of Antonio Banderas - he is the first person I think of when thinking of Spanish actors. I'd actually never even heard of Bardem.

• Love 2

I can't believe they only did one clue in the HOF category and no one knew Bill Withers. Criminal.

Oh my god speak faster people!

I talked myself out of Penelope and picked Salma Hayek, but all I could think of for Javier was "that guy who was in that movie with Daniel Day Lewis about blood and oil."

I was cracking myself up the whole show every time Alex said "Martin or Dean" but don't tell Alex because Dean Martin was before my time.

• Love 4

Dean is an unusual name for a woman, but I love her for getting that total waste of self-congratulatory skin JOSH! off my screen. Team Dean!

I could have sworn JOSH! said Bergenstocks instead of Birkenstocks.

I was sorry not to see all of the Hall of Fame clues. No one knew Bill Withers? Heartbreaking. I got antipasto and Kevin (We Really Need to Talk About), too.

I actually got FJ for a change. *fist bump* Just kidding.

Edited to fix Bill Wither's name. It's bad enough nobody knew him without my misspelling. :-(

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 5

I could have sworn JOSH! said Bergenstocks instead of Birkenstocks.

When I'm speaking (very) quickly, that's how I pronounce Birkenstocks as well.

I think it's close enough that it could easily be passed off as differences in accents or speech patterns.

• Love 1

Dean has an extremely pleasant speaking voice. I will not miss JOSH! Dean was shaky at first, but that might have been jitters or whatever getting used to playing. I missed FJ because I wasn't sure if the clue meant Spanish (as in from Spain) or Hispanic actors  and actresses, and I got bogged down with Fernando Lamas and Esther Williams, since I had no idea whether she might have also been Hispanic but anglicized her name. Then there was the question of whether either or both had won any Oscars. Clearly I was overthinking.

• Love 3

I was a bit surprised to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo "rapist" tattoo make it into the game. Dark!

Sikes from Oliver Twist and Skye are two triple-stumpers I can recall that I knew.

• Love 2

I talked myself out of Penelope and picked Salma Hayek, but all I could think of for Javier was "that guy who was in that movie with Daniel Day Lewis about blood and oil."

Bardem was also in No Country for Old Men as the hitman with the bowl haircut. 

• Love 4

I can't believe they only did one clue in the HOF category and no one knew Bill Withers. Criminal.

Oh my god speak faster people!

I was cracking myself up the whole show every time Alex said "Martin or Dean" but don't tell Alex because Dean Martin was before my time.

Bardem won his Oscar for the Coen Brothers film No Country for Old Men. The DDL movie is There Will Be Blood. I think Cruz won her Oscar for Vicki Cristina Barcelona which also starred Bardem. Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 3

When I'm speaking (very) quickly, that's how I pronounce Birkenstocks as well.

I think it's close enough that it could easily be passed off as differences in accents or speech patterns.

The judges (aka me) would accept the answer coming from you. Asshat JOSH! gets no breaks. ;-)
  • Love 2

I dinged U!F!JOSH! from home on Groundhogs Day.  Does the S indicate plural, possessive or possessive plural? Groundhogs, Groundhog's, Groundhogs'... I'm confused.  He probably calls it Daylight SavingS Time, too.

I really did know FJ today. I first saw Bardem in "Before Night Falls" (with Depp as a female impersonator.)  Weird-ass movie, but he's a fantastic actor.

• Love 3

I think this was only the second Josh episode I saw (and I didn’t think I’d see this game, either, but it coincided with halftime); he didn’t bother me tonight, either, and I didn’t have to adjust my brain’s volume control this time.  He definitely said Birgenstocks rather than Birkenstocks, and I’d have ruled it incorrect.  I didn't catch the appended S on the Groundhog Day answer, though.

I knew carbon, but it didn’t surprise me as a TS.  Antipasto did, though.  As did Bill Withers.  And, yeah, I wanted to get back to that category.  I was even worse than the contestants in the island category, though.

There were some pretty brutal brutes; I’m not sure I’d want to meet the creator of that category in a dark alley.

Fulton was a Teen Tournament level clue.  Same with Aztecs.

Shouldn’t Methodist have been Methodism instead?  Y’all know religion is not my category (and I had no idea on that clue), but Dean’s answer sounded weird given the phrasing of the clue.

Martin reminded me of someone, but I can’t place who.

For FJ, I came up with Javier Bardem right away, knowing he’d won an acting Oscar, and then guessed Penelope Cruz, not knowing she'd won one and having no idea who either was married to but not coming up with any other Spanish potential Oscar winners.  So I lucked into that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I also came up Bardem right away, but I had to go thru the alphabet quickly until I got to the P's and remembered it was Penelope Cruz.

Sikes from Oliver Twist and Skye are two triple-stumpers I can recall that I knew.

I got those, the FJ, and I think a couple of others, but of course now I can't remember them. Oh, the Isle of Skye. 

I don't think I knew of any island in any of the Great Lakes.

What is Dean's accent?

• Love 1

Penelope and Javier made the news a couple of days ago when they made a spectacle of themselves at U2's concert in Barcelona. Even Bono had to work at getting rid of them! :) The couple was feeling no pain.

Javier's performance in No Country for Old Men was so menacing and real, I couldnt sleep after I saw it the first time. He was a psychopathic assassin with very little dialog.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/penelope-cruz-javier-bardem-u2-concert_56213abbe4b0bce347007b45

• Love 2
I really liked Zelda.

Me too. I root for the home team unless the home team player is annoying (helloooo, Colby!)  I looked up Zelda and she's a former actress who appeared on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  I really wanted her to win.

I got the "double redundancy" FJ right away. Probably because I'm baseball-obsessed at the moment, and also because there is no reason for the freakin' Angels to be known by the name of a city in a completely different county. Annoys the ever-lovin' crap out of me, just like the New Jersey teams that call themselves New York teams. Carpetbaggers, all of them! (I am a sports purist and/or dinosaur, don't like night games, don't like rock music at stadiums, think the playoffs are an abomination, and yes, I know this is how sports are these days and it will never go back. But I don't have to like it.)

Should my beloved Cubs ever move to the 'burbs, as their owner occasionally threatens when he can't get his way, I will never refer to them as the Chicago Cubs again.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 5

I don't know why they stayed with the isle category. I was yelling for them to pick something else. Did any of the isle questions get answered correctly? I wanted to see the HOF category cleared. They didn't know Bill Withers, so maybe they'd have stared blankly at the screen in that category, just like they did in the isle one.

• Love 1

I don't think I knew of any island in any of the Great Lakes

I knew Isle Royale because a mystery writer whose work I admire set one of her books in that particular National Park.  (Actually, I think she used it twice, several novels apart.)

• Love 3

I'd actually never even heard of Bardem.

That's good if you have a fear of being killed with a livestock stun gun.

No one knew Bill Whithers?

They didn't know Bill Withers either, so there's that.

Did any of the isle questions get answered correctly?

No, while I ran the category. It was outrageously easy for me, although I have no clue why.

Again, an entire category left on the board at the end of the game. Matt never would have allowed that.

And thank goodness we are back to more "regular" players with the demise of josh? after only two wins. Yeay.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

TS's I got were Antipasto, Dixie, Skye and Bill Withers.  Might have been more - or not.

I like the new champ.  JOSH! seemed to have toned his voice down a little for this game but I am glad he's gone.

I didn't have a chance on the FJ since current movies/actors are not my wheelhouse at all.  So I put very little effort into it.

• Love 1