Type keyword(s) to search

Let's Talk About Dr. Phil, The Man

Lola16
  • Start Topic

We can thank Oprah for psychobabble Dr. Phil.

Born in 1950, Dr. Phil McGraw was a college football player who got his Ph.D. in psychology. He quit private practice to start Pathways, a self-motivation seminar, as well as a company called Courtroom Sciences. He met Oprah Winfrey while helping her win a lawsuit in 1998. McGraw became a regular on her show, then launched his own in 2002. He also penned several bestselling self-help books.

http://www.biography.com/people/dr-phil-mcgraw-9542524

One of the cheesiest things, besides Dr. Phil's engraved hanky that he hands out to crying guests, is how he walks off at the end of each show and grabs his wife out of the audience and they walk off together. 

Edited by Lola16
  • Love 3

My son meet Dr. Phil at a tech show in LV not too long ago. Dr. Phil was busy taking calls from people with problems over the phone. My son waved to him and Dr. Phil came down. :-o

My son knew in the early days my daughter and me watched his shows. I bought both kids his "life Strategies" book. They still make sense.

Dr. Phil grabs my son's hands and says"Tell your mother I truly appreciate her support (meanwhile his aides where trying to get him back on the phones) and that I wish her well." He even took time out for a selfie with my son.

My son said having met him, he felt he was a very sincere person. Awww! I do not watch his shows anymore since I cannot realate to most of his guests.

By the way, Robyn wasn't there. ;-)

• Love 2

Why are people still pretending he's a doctor? I hate this guy but I usually have his show on in the background for lols if I'm working from home. I'm not a Nielson household so I don't matter, ha ha.

He is a doctor; he has a PHD.  A friend of mine is a doctor; she has her PHD in anthropology.   Many professors are doctors in their field.  

Edited by wings707
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

"Dr." Phil's snarky comments about Bruce Jenner were outrageously out of line, offensive and insensitive. Practice what you preach, Phil!

I didn't find his comments snarky.  We are all learning about the transgender experience.  I learned something I had not known in the Bruce thread.  Sexual orientation can change during the process due to a hormonal shift.  

I actually thought the same thing, Dr Phil did awhile ago.  Why at this point so late in life would you put yourself through this?  I understand now.  I do not fault anyone who has questions about this and approaches the topic respectfully and I see Dr Phil as being genuine in his question/confusion.  

I tape his shows and probably only watch 15% of them when  topic appeals to me.  I like him.  Sure he hawks his books and Dr on Demand, so what?  He is out to make money just as we all are.  I just FF through it.  

I like that he has included Robin.  I FF through her abuse cause but like that she is there and they walk off holding hands.  Many marriages fail when one becomes a huge success.  He saw to it that, that would not happen to them.  Smart move.  His family comes first and I appreciate that.  

• Love 1

Jennifer! Jennifer!  Jennifer!  I didn't watch yesterday's show yet but I watched today's follow up... I hope there is medication for her and her kids should stay away.  She cannot function as a rational person, let alone play her role as a mother.  She maniacally stitched figures of speech together in random order.  Dr Phil couldn't get through to her, it's very sad but she's going to get worse.  The daughter was trying to deal with her as if she was capable of being rational, she was wasting her time.

Word salad, that's what it's called. You could see Dr Phil really trying to understand what she was saying. Jennifer was obviously quite mentally ill. Sounds like she put her family thru hell.

• Love 1

So Dr. Phub was on Steve Harvey's show this past week. One of the first things I noticed is that he made sure to wear an ALL navy blue suit including his shirt and tie to try and disguise the fact that he needs to follow the advice he gives in his latest diet book.Notice he makes sure not to button up his suit jacket no matter what.
I was laughing so much about him doing so that and the shoes he was wearing that I missed most of what went on in this segment which was broken up into 2 parts on YouTube. 

Not that I spend much time thinking about Dr. $hill, but anytime I see him I'm struck by the fact that his head and shoulders apparently can't work independently.  Does he have some kind of a skeletorial or muscular condition?  He never just turns his head...it's always an entire upper body movement.  Anyone know?

• Love 2

Phillip is always like three years behind technology. You can tell he has his sons or younger staffers coaching him on all matters of the Internet and telling him what new gadget will draw in the youngsters. There was one episode where he had someone on his staff create a fake Craigslist ad pretending to be a teenage girl looking to party. And he was appalled that the staffer was getting responses. And he wanted us to be appalled too.

Then there's his big Spacely's Sprockets touchscreen RUDI computer he uses to list all his guests' transgressions. A list he could just easily read off of his little index cards. He's so fascinated that his finger can draw on the screen, that he can't even hear what his guests are saying.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think he does it much anymore but taking and reading tweets is annoying when you have a roomfull of audience who are bound to silence as well as a dress code.  I don't know, to direct people to the web site where they will see lots of ads? 

ETA

Spacely Sprockets LMFAO. 

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

Trying to watch the car mom a little bit but what's the deal about all the proper grooming makovers and rich people wasting money. I doubt this show will be cancelled for 10 years. $hill is creating new levels of judgement isn't he. 

• Love 1

He has become almost Trump-like, meaning he loves to brag. There are very few shows that he can get through without mentioning his "best selling book" or how the show The Doctors - which his son produces - is a "huge hit show." He also likes to mention his audience.....or more accurately, the "millions and millions of people who watch his show."

I used to watch as a time-waster. It was amusing watching stupid white trash air their dirty laundry on national television but they started to irritate me as did Phil. When he was on Oprah, I liked him. Now he has become an arrogant, bragging blow hard and I can't watch five minutes of his sideshow. 

• Love 4

I guess Phub was on The View this morning which I have on DVR but haven't watched yet. He was also on The Late Show last night and Colbert was asking Phub questions that you could tell were kind of making him squirm. It was so nice to see. The clip I found on YT only includes Twitter questions where he laughs pretty hard and says "No" when he's asked if they check up on guests. The whole episode is in the CBS site and you can go to the part where his interview is I think.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/aQbTVGeg52FsQgqSu3onQok3AcyLlQCh/the-late-show-2-3-2016-dr-phil-mark-and-jay-duplass-michael-eric-dyson-anderson-paak-and-the-free-nationals-/

• Love 3

Dr. Phub's head will be getting even bigger if this show inspired by his early years ends up being a success. Of course widdle Phub Jr. has to be listed as an EP too.

BULL
EPs: Paul Attanasio, Dr. Phillip C. McGraw (Stage 29 Productions), Steven Spielberg (Amblin Television), Justin Falvey & Darryl Frank (Amblin Television), Jay McGraw (Stage 29 Productions)

Logline: A drama inspired by the early career of Dr. Phil McGraw as the founder of one of the most prolific trial consulting firms of all time. Brilliant, brash and charming, Dr. Bull (Michael Weatherly) is the ultimate puppet master as he combines psychology, human intuition and high tech data to learn what makes jurors, attorneys, witnesses and the accused tick.

Cast: Michael Weatherly as ‘Dr. Jason Bull’, Freddy Rodriguez, Geneva Carr, Chris Jackson, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Annabelle Attanasio

http://tvline.com/2016/05/13/cbs-new-series-fall-2016-macgyver-training-day/

• Love 1

I haven't watched this show in a long time, but I do watch the clips on the youtube channel every now and then. One thing that makes me irrationally angry is how every time there's an abusive man (or really just any abusive person) on the show, Dr Phil always wraps things up by saying something like "I don't think you're a bad person, I think you're a hurt person". I know he probably has to say that for the show, but I think it really sends the wrong message to anyone who is a victim of abuse. If these abusers are not bad people, then who is? What makes someone a bad person if not their actions? Just because they have pain, it cancels out the bad that they do? Ugh, I hate that. That mentality is what makes people stay in abusive relationships thinking that they can help the person get better because they see what a good person they are deep down. No one in this world is 100% bad. Just because they have good in them does not make them a good person.

Also, I hate how every time there's some young white woman with problems, she's described as beautiful or gorgeous. About 90% of the time, she's basic. Not that it should matter, but it seems to be really important to Dr. Phil.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2017 at 7:27 AM, AZChristian said:

Just saw a thing online that says Dr. Phil made $79 million, and inferred it was this in one year.  And if you look at Robin's face, hair, and clothes, you'll know where it all went.  

I just watched an episode from 2008 on OWN. That woman looks like a plastic Stepford Wife these days. Phil looks just awful these days too.

• Love 1

Looks like Phub and Lil Phub are co-exec producer and producer with others of a daily TV show based on the UK "news" site Daily Mail.

DailyMailTV will bring the publication DailyMail.com to life on television, according to the release. The show will focus on “exclusive stories, breaking news, showbiz, politics, crime, health and science and technology.”

The show has the backing of Sinclair, Tribune, Gray Television, Cox Television and Nexstar Media Group and will air across 96 percent of the nation. They will shoot at WPIX, the Tribune owned station in New York.

Dr. Phil McGraw is an executive producer along with DailyMail.com publisher Martin Clarke. Veteran producers Carla Pennington and Jay McGraw will oversee day to day operations.

It will begin airing across the country September 18.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/jesse-palmer-named-host-of-dailymailtv/193033

• Love 1

So it's a British publication/news source that Phlub will be bringing to and airing here in the US? Sounds like a "new take" (or Phlubs interpretation) of TMZ. Just when I was hoping the spawn (and wife) of Phil would disappear. Now this. 

Basically the Daily News is a British National Enquirer, an online tabloid. Where Miss "Cash me outside" has been displayed in all her glory, thanks to Dr. Shill. The quality and content speaks for itself. I won't be watching.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2015 at 5:11 AM, Jaded said:

My One-Of-A-Kind Anniversary Gift For Robin

By: Dr. Phub

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dr-phil-anniversary_55cd1202e4b055a6daafe401?

LMFAO!! I know the above post is from 2 years ago but I just now noticed it. So Phil thinks a mix tape is a one of a kind gift? He's just SO incredibly dumb in certain aspects. And fyi Phil, I don't give a f*ck what your and Robin's fave songs are. Maybe you should add RHONY housewife Countess LuAnne's hit song "Money Can't Buy You Class" to your list.

• Love 1

I don't think this was posted about before. The article is from May and the accident supposedly happened in February. If he tried to get people to keep this quiet I'm willing to bet something like this has happened in the past probably more then once. If it has that could account for his posture and behavior. I say behavior because I'm wondering if he's had head trauma that's contributed to his changed behavior in addition to getting older and too rich.

Dr. Phil was injured in a dirt bike accident

Dr. Phil Injures Ribs And Shoulder In Dirt Bike Accident; Doesn’t Stop Him From Doing His Job

• Love 1

If a guest is going through withdrawal from drugs or alcohol, they would have to give them methadone or alcohol to bring them to "normal."   Someone in the throws of withdrawal is not pretty to watch and they would not be able to focus on what Dr Phil was saying, if this really happens.  It is hard to separate fact from bullshit.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

Honestly, I'm not shocked by this. As much as Dr Phil claims that his point in doing the show isn't about the show, we know that it's at least as much about doing the show as helping people. For people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol*, how else are you going to get them into a state suitable for television and conversation except to give them some of what they're hooked on? If the Dr Phil show producers weren't supplying these people, most of them would be curled up in the fetal position unable to function.

*Since alcohol is a drug, why do we say "drugs and alcohol"? Why don't we just say "drugs"? To me, it's like saying that alcohol isn't "as bad as" other drugs, and it's as if we're downplaying the significance of alcohol abuse. I've tried saying only "drugs" instead of "drugs and alcohol", but then people don't seem to understand me - and the ones who have continue to use the longer idiom.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Honestly, I'm not shocked by this. As much as Dr Phil claims that his point in doing the show isn't about the show, we know that it's at least as much about doing the show as helping people. For people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol*, how else are you going to get them into a state suitable for television and conversation except to give them some of what they're hooked on? If the Dr Phil show producers weren't supplying these people, most of them would be curled up in the fetal position unable to function.

*Since alcohol is a drug, why do we say "drugs and alcohol"? Why don't we just say "drugs"? To me, it's like saying that alcohol isn't "as bad as" other drugs, and it's as if we're downplaying the significance of alcohol abuse. I've tried saying only "drugs" instead of "drugs and alcohol", but then people don't seem to understand me - and the ones who have continue to use the longer idiom.

I agree that the show may have enabled the addict to get his drug of choice so that he would be stable enough to do the show. Addicts admit to getting even more  drunk or high before going into detox or rehab like a dieter has the last supper before going on a diet.

Side eye to the reality star fame whore who has to keep himself in the spotlight while slamming the show that tried to help him. Dr. Phil deserves some of the criticism that he gets but it appears that addicts are given a chance to go into expensive rehab centers that few can afford. Just more addiction talk of blaming someone else for their addictive behavior.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, MrSmith said:

They are just as bad, but differ in how they are acquired (alcohol legally, drugs not so much) and how addicts are weaned off (weaning off alcohol has to be done gradually, cold turkey may be dangerous). There is also a certain synergy between alcohol and drug consumption which together is worse than the sum of its parts, hence the value of naming them separately.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

They are just as bad, but differ in how they are acquired (alcohol legally, drugs not so much)

This may be true, I suppose. I consider this to be an invalid argument for making a distinction between the two because they're all equally devastating. I would actually argue that alcohol is currently more devastating simply because of our societal tolerance for alcohol abuse and alcohol abusers.

and how addicts are weaned off (weaning off alcohol has to be done gradually, cold turkey may be dangerous).

I don't believe there is a difference in how addicts are treated. As far as I know, drug addicts have to be weaned off as well because cold turkey is dangerous.

There is also a certain synergy between alcohol and drug consumption which together is worse than the sum of its parts, hence the value of naming them separately.

I don't know about that. I'll consider this a push.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Wings said:

If a guest is going through withdrawal from drugs or alcohol, they would have to give them methadone or alcohol to bring them to "normal."   Someone in the throws of withdrawal is not pretty to watch and they would not be able to focus on what Dr Phil was saying, if this really happens.  It is hard to separate fact from bullshit.  

On the show Intervention they always assign a R.N. (?) to go with the more serious substance abuse/alcohol addicts to give them appropriate meds so they can make the trip to rehab/detox safely. 

Re: Dr. PHIL providing drugs for the addicts that come on his show, I doubt he's doing it illegally or nefariously. Too many of his employees would have to be involved. 

• Love 5

The thing that annoys me the most is Phil getting in someone's face and proclaiming they are a "right fighter". Yeah, so????  How you going to argue with truth unless you're an annoying Snowflake. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I fail to see the problem with having facts backing you up, but he acts like it's something to be ridiculed. I'm so waiting for someone to point that out, but it will probably be edited out.

I'd be pissed if I went to the show and the only reason I went is for free resources, and Phil set me up with doctor on demand. No one wants to go on the show to get abused, have their dirty laundry aired, and then only be offered doctor on demand. It annoys me how much self-promotion Dr. Phil does throughout each episode. He just comes off as such a phony.

• Love 6
On 5/10/2018 at 7:59 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

I'd be pissed if I went to the show and the only reason I went is for free resources, and Phil set me up with doctor on demand. No one wants to go on the show to get abused, have their dirty laundry aired, and then only be offered doctor on demand. It annoys me how much self-promotion Dr. Phil does throughout each episode. He just comes off as such a phony.

And where does he find these "doctors" who are willing to risk their credibility by doing phone/skype consultations? Mental health problems are no joke. I wonder if "Dr. On Demand" also has a pre-rcorded outgoing message saying: " We're sorry. You have reached us after hours. Please call back during regular business hours. If this is an emergency, call 911".  Phil has gotten so pompous. 

• Love 4

Phone/Skype interviews are gaining in popularity. At some point I expect the insurance company to require that we do an online intervention first before seeing a doctor in person. It could end up being one of the insurance company doctors and not someone that we know personally/locally. I began to dislike Dr. Phil the minute that he rolled out Doctor On Demand because I knew it would be the end of medicine as we now know it. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, b2H said:

And with his five year CBS contract extension, based on how he's looking, I wonder if he'll make it to the end of the extension.

That was my first thought. 

• Love 2