Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Scott Wolf Of Wall Street

• Start Topic

I usually like Scott Wolf and Kate Flannery, so this could be a good episode.Not too familiar with either David, but the Show & Yell hosts seemed to be pumped for them, so hopefully they'll be good.

I was a little concerned that the David on the woman civilian's team was going to blow it for her on the popcorn game.  I thought he was choosing the wrong answer for a cheap laugh on the Moby Dick question.  But the last game before the final was really well-played for both teams, and Scott Wolf was awesome in the final--the civilian was no slouch, either--she pulled some out that I wouldn't have.

A little surprised that the lyrics to Uptown Funk stymied both of them!

• Love 1

Good episode. All of the games were ones I liked, including the new one Pic A Name. No one was really embarrassingly bad (a McPhee/O'Leary level), but there were a few amusing little slips to keep it entertaining.

I felt a bit sorry for guy civilian, as he was pretty clearly the strongest player on his team, and came painfully close to pulling ahead at the end. if the teams had been flipped I think it would have been a runaway game.

Scott Wolf was the best choice for the final round, and top celeb overall, and David Giuntoli was the best choice from his team and did a good job of mostly staying quiet until Scott hesitated. Probably could have gotten January Jones by saying "her first name is the first month" and mentioning that John Oliver is British might have helped, but the civilian played well, stayed calm and passed quickly instead of getting stuck so there was time to spare for Scott and David to remember that JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter, not Lord of the Rings, and Jennifer Lawrence isn't in the Anger Games (one of those might be stupid moment of the episode).

I probably wouldn't pick anyone to never come back, maybe Mary Lynn Rajskub if I had to pick someone, since some of her Take a Hint clues weren't great, and maybe cost her civilian the win.

Edited by BobH

I think David Walton and Mary Lynn Rajskub were the weak links on their respective teams but even they had moments that brought something to the team.  For instance, David Walton gave some wrong answers and wasted too much time coming up for a word to describe "bounce" but I still don't know how he got Justin Bieber.  Even after knowing that's what it is, I don't get it from the clues.

And Mary Lynn did pretty well with the songs. 

It was an evenly matched team.  Scott Wolf was a good choice for the final round but I also think Kate would have been a solid choice as well.  The civilian handled herself really well. 

It was a pretty fun episode. I enjoyed all the celebrities and both civilians.

I really liked PIC a Name; it was easy and hard at the same time. Once you crack the code, it's pretty easy, but you have to find that in when it's not blatant, like the Tiger Woods example.

I also was amazed that neither player got "Uptown Funk"; not only has it been played like it's the national anthem, but the title was revealed in the lyrics, like "Honky Tonk Girls", which was just before it iirc. I get that the adrenaline and nerves were playing a part, but Scott Wolf and his pretty eyelashes were pretty on point for every game.

The end of Take The (Hint) was hard; to be that close, to have three tries to pull ahead and into the final round, but to flub all three and run out of time? :( I felt bad for my fellow Texan, Kimo. Still, it was a pretty close game all the way through, so I'm not that sad.  When it was 4/4, 7/9, 29/23, 35/31 and 70/66? It wasn't a walkover.

Civilian Celeste's team ( Scott/Kate/David) was on par to Kevin Smith/ Haley Joel Osment/ Justin Long from last week, imo.  I would have picked Scott and David G. for the final round myself. Considering that Celeste only passed two names, and they were January Jones and John Oliver, and that she passed pretty quickly? Not surprised she won. Celeste just found her zone and just owned that round. She was awesome and I was jealous for a moment during her celebration hug.

Celeste looked genuinely happy to win so that put a smile to my face.

No one was really bad here. I say this sometimes but it's easy to judge from the other side. I do it too. But, there weren't many instances where someone did something that was just plain dumb.

The Uptown Funk was the most egregious. But, excluding the fact that the name was used in the lyrics, people often don't zone in on lyrics when listening to songs. They just listen to the beat or just go with the vibe. I've heard the song plenty of times and can't tell you one line from the song off the top of my head.

With the Bieber thing. I don't think he got the Justin in part. If you keep saying Bee and Bear over and over again, eventually it might click in. That's all you had to do was zone in on the Bieber part.

There were some clues that were dropped in the last round but I can chalked that up to them being flustered and not being totally in the know on what the actor does.

But, while I'm being nice, I must also point out how annoying it is that they give vague/complimentary clues in the last round. One of the biggest actresses in the world! Narrow that shit down so they can guess quicker. Jennifer Lawrence - Hunger Games/X Men/American Hustle. Just go with what she has done.

Walton may have had that issue some players have where they are more concerned about making jokes than playing the game but he wasn't bad at all.

MVP - Honestly I would have to give it to both civilians. They bought their A game.

Never return - Mena Suvari. Adds nothing to the show and she just irritated the hell out of me during popped quiz. It's popcorn not an actually bomb. Relax.

Biggest blunder - The Jennifer Lawrence clues until they got it right. Even with the Moby Dick thing, not everyone read Moby Dick. Sucks that the Monday question cost Kino the game. Damn, he was so close.

I actually applied for the show. I couldn't help myself. I never apply for any game show or contest, etc. But, I really want to compete on this show one day. It was interesting that they want a picture showing your face and then one that shows your body. They may be a normal request but I wasn't expecting it. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3

I've never heard someone yell Justin Bieber so aggressively and I just died laughing. I agree that it was someone else on his team that said Bee Bear off to the side which seemed to click with him.

I enjoyed other David because he seemed genuinely concerned with the score the whole time. And when he screwed up, he said he was losing confidence with himself and seemed very aware that this wasn't just a game for the civilians. He really tried to set Mary up in the last game but she was just not understanding.

When Monday came up, I thought it was a done deal but I didn't even think of the implications of saying Saturday Sunday. I would have gone for day-before-Tuesday but not sure if Mary would have picked up on that.

I find when the episode has someone I really like on it, there's always someone really annoying i despise. Then on an episode like this when Kate is the one I know the most (solely from the office) I tend to enjoy it more because the celebs are all pretty chill.

My favorite parts: "Speaking of Town-Ho." and David Walton's victory lap after his team won. I've never read Moby Dick so I wouldn't have done any better at that question but I guess Town Ho sounds more realistic than the Scurvy Skank or whatever it was.

I wished Mary Lynn would've got where the other David was going when he said 'need' as a clue for cowbell.

I also was amazed that neither player got "Uptown Funk"; not only has it been played like it's the national anthem,

Not everybody listens to pop music, I wouldn't have got UF from lyrics or music.

I wished Mary Lynn would've got where the other David was going when he said 'need' as a clue for cowbell.

Or when David said 'table' for ping pong, a better player might've said 'tennis' after.  MLB did kick ass with the monotone though.

I don't know why I continue to click on these Hollywood Game Night stories when I know that Hulu is geo-blocked so I can't see the videoclips and Tara's commentary is entirely useless without the clips.

• Love 1

God, David Giuntoli and Scott Wolf yelling pop culture references at me trying to win me money, is a pantie-dropper fantasy of the finest order.

Also, can I get a GIF of Giuntoli doing his "Kangol hat" mime? Hee!

• Love 2

The score was close but I thought that most of the celebs on Kimo's team were eh.   In fact asked the person I was watching with who they would take from the other team to the bonus round.   They said, without a moment's hesitation, Kimo.   

That said I really liked this ep.   Plus Scott Wolf and the Davids?   So much to look at.  

Have loved Scott Wolf since party of five and it is getting fewer and fewer celebs I had childhood crushes on that I don't think, man we're starting to show our age a bit.   Scott Wolf?  Still dreamy.  A little silver in the scruff but in a good way!

• Love 1

Damn, next week's lineup looks stacked. Paul Scheer, Bobby Moynihan, Randall Park, and Constance Wu all on the same episode? Wowie zowie. I think Paul especially will absolutely slay. There will be no excuse not to pick him for Celebrity Name Game. Don't know how Randall Cobb will do. Amy Smart'll probably be fine.

To answer the lingering question: I would hope they would accept "Nine." It's what I thought of at first. And before they revealed the placement of the vowels, it fit the clue just as well. The only reason not to accept it would be that it wasn't what they specifically had in mind. On Jeopardy!, they'll accept alternate answers they weren't expecting if they find that they also work. HGN is different from Jeopardy! in a lot of ways, but both shows have fair and (mostly) consistent judges who take the rules seriously.

• Love 1

I don't know why I continue to click on these Hollywood Game Night stories when I know that Hulu is geo-blocked so I can't see the videoclips and Tara's commentary is entirely useless without the clips.

Sorry! Almost all our users are in the U.S. If I could use YouTube clips, I would!

That said: TunnelBear?

But, while I'm being nice, I must also point out how annoying it is that they give vague/complimentary clues in the last round. One of the biggest actresses in the world! Narrow that shit down so they can guess quicker. Jennifer Lawrence - Hunger Games/X Men/American Hustle. Just go with what she has done.

Normally, I would agree but the celebs didn't do something that a lot of celebs do--they didn't stop there and pause.  Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to start freestyling and not think too much about what a perfect clue would be because you can get stuck, as Walton did in with "bounce" in the previous game, trying to think of the perfect clue. Sometimes the vague clue is a way to kick off a freethink and Scott & David just kept going.  And that's the reason Scott's "Angry Games" didn't bother me much because he parlayed that into the correct clue.  Plus, I could instantly see where he got "Angry" (Angry sounds like hungry which is close to hunger.)

Walton may have had that issue some players have where they are more concerned about making jokes than playing the game but he wasn't bad at all.

I got that more from Mary Lynn than Walton.  I think he wanted to give right answers and made legitimate guesses.  I think when Mary Lynn didn't know, she went for the joke.  In fact, I think she buzzed in specifically to make a joke.

Even with the Moby Dick thing, not everyone read Moby Dick. That the question that cost Kino the game. Damn, he was so close.

How did that Moby Dick question cost him the game?  That clue was to David Walton.  He missed it and he was on Celeste's team.

Paul Scheer, Bobby Moynihan, Randall Park, and Constance Wu all on the same episode? Wowie zowie. I think Paul especially will absolutely slay. There will be no excuse not to pick him for Celebrity Name Game. Don't know how Randall Cobb will do. Amy Smart'll probably be fine.

Randall Cobb seems smart but there's real smart and pop culture smart so that will be interesting.  Speaking of Randalls, I get having two Davids on a show because that's a common name but two Randalls?  That couldn't have been scheduled better.

• Love 1

Not everybody listens to pop music, I wouldn't have got UF from lyrics or music.

I wouldn't have gotten it either. I'm an old fart. Any pop tune or rap song, in particular, past the late 80's, I probably don't know.

I was rooting for Kimo. He was saddled with a fairly weak team and did all the heavy lifting in most of the games. He would have definitely won the $25K. And he was so close to getting there.

One thing I figured they'd get buzzed for was saying "Saturday, Sunday" in the last game because "day" is part of the word "Monday." I'd think normally if your clue contains part of the word in the answer they'd disqualify it.

• Love 1

Sorry! Almost all our users are in the U.S. If I could use YouTube clips, I would!

That said: TunnelBear?

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately the majority of my screen time is at the office and I feel like corporate IT would frown on that.

One thing I figured they'd get buzzed for was saying "Saturday, Sunday" in the last game because "day" is part of the word "Monday." I'd think normally if your clue contains part of the word in the answer they'd disqualify it.

Yes, I was expecting that to be a no-no, too. It probably wouldn't have been allowed in Password.  I also hated that David Walton didn't get buzzed for miming bouncing a ball.

I was not a David Walton fan this game, esp during the first half of the game, I think. He was mugging way too much, trying way too hard to be funny.

Even with the Moby Dick thing, not everyone read Moby Dick.

I read Moby Dick, twice, and I didn't remember either ship. Now if Pequod was in the question, I would have nailed it.

I was surprised she didn't get it, but what would have been left for Mena to say? Maybe she could have said "Walken." Didn't she do a little impression? However, Kimo was sharp enough that he may have been up on it with just "Need. More."

BTW, what was David G going for when he said "Better" for Wheaties?

I thought it was funny when Scott said The Anger Games instead of The Hunger Games. 

Edited by peeayebee

Normally, I would agree but the celebs didn't do something that a lot of celebs do--they didn't stop there and pause.  Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to start freestyling and not think too much about what a perfect clue would be because you can get stuck, as Walton did in with "bounce" in the previous game, trying to think of the perfect clue. Sometimes the vague clue is a way to kick off a freethink and Scott & David just kept going.  And that's the reason Scott's "Angry Games" didn't bother me much because he parlayed that into the correct clue.  Plus, I could instantly see where he got "Angry" (Angry sounds like hungry which is close to hunger.)

I got that more from Mary Lynn than Walton.  I think he wanted to give right answers and made legitimate guesses.  I think when Mary Lynn didn't know, she went for the joke.  In fact, I think she buzzed in specifically to make a joke.

How did that Moby Dick question cost him the game?  That clue was to David Walton.  He missed it and he was on Celeste's team.

Randall Cobb seems smart but there's real smart and pop culture smart so that will be interesting.  Speaking of Randalls, I get having two Davids on a show because that's a common name but two Randalls?  That couldn't have been scheduled better.

I didn't write out my thought correctly. I was just saying that it sucks that Monday question cost him to game but I forgot to write it out all the way.

For Monotunes, the words on the screen are just for the home audience, right? The actual players just hear the words? Because I probably wouldn't have gotten "Uptown Funk" if I was just hearing it.

BTW, what was David G going for when he said "Better" for Wheaties?

"Better eat your Wheaties" was a slogan. I think "Breakfast of Champions" is the more well known one, but that might depend on age or geography.

• Love 1

I agree with Irlandesa -- the vague "she's the greatest" openings in the endgame were acceptable because they were just allowing themselves to spout whatever came into their heads as a way of keeping going, and they did keep going and said more, immediately. One has to let go of the self-censor and just keep talking in that game.

If they ever have a "Second Chances" episode (as Celebrity Name Game has done), Kimo definitely deserves to be chosen for it.

• Love 1

I was surprised she didn't get it, but what would have been left for Mena to say?

"Blank." Men could have said "blank." "Need." "More." "BLANK?" "Saturday." "Sunday." "BLANK?" Indeed, given how often she was drawing one, I'm surprised the idea didn't come to her. Although that's the nature of having tabula rasa minda. Paradox!

Could catch on Saturday, Sunday

That Kimo  dude was a great player.

Thanks! I agree! ;)

I agree with Irlandesa -- the vague "she's the greatest" openings in the endgame were acceptable because they were just allowing themselves to spout whatever came into their heads as a way of keeping going, and they did keep going and said more, immediately. One has to let go of the self-censor and just keep talking in that game.

If they ever have a "Second Chances" episode (as Celebrity Name Game has done), Kimo definitely deserves to be chosen for it.

Aaah! Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 

I wouldn't have gotten it either. I'm an old fart. Any pop tune or rap song, in particular, past the late 80's, I probably don't know.

I was rooting for Kimo. He was saddled with a fairly weak team and did all the heavy lifting in most of the games. He would have definitely won the $25K. And he was so close to getting there.

Thanks for the confidence! It was a blast!! 

• Love 4

For Monotunes, the words on the screen are just for the home audience, right? The actual players just hear the words? Because I probably wouldn't have gotten "Uptown Funk" if I was just hearing it.

"Better eat your Wheaties" was a slogan. I think "Breakfast of Champions" is the more well known one, but that might depend on age or geography.

There are no words posted. I specifically asked that when they explained the rules because I remember seeing them on the screen. It's SO much harder than it looks on TV because you don't have the lyrics to look at. 

• Love 5

Kimo! You were awesome and so enjoyable to watch.

Ah yes. I forgot about "Better eat your Wheaties." "Breakfast of Champions" is more of my generation.

Was it just me, or did they seem to show the "Pic a Name" images too quickly and then diminish their size to a too-small image at the bottom of the screen? I found it difficult to see what the pictures even were so that I could guess. It took away some of the fun of guessing along with the contestants.

Was it just me, or did they seem to show the "Pic a Name" images too quickly and then diminish their size to a too-small image at the bottom of the screen? I found it difficult to see what the pictures even were so that I could guess. It took away some of the fun of guessing along with the contestants.

I saw the pictures just fine.

• Love 1

My eyes are old and my TV isn't as large as it used to be (when we got it, it seemed huge, but it is relatively small compared to most TVs nowadays). Most of the time, someone would  give the answer about the time I figured out what the pictures were, but before I could put the pictures together and try to figure it out. So I couldn't play along at home.  When they first showed the pictures, they should have done it as a close up, rather than showing the whole set. 

• Love 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have to stop saying the popcorn spins at random? Hasn't the first 8 questions always been the 8 different players, no repeats? That's not random.

• Love 2

I thought of that too, but I think "random" can be allowed to pass in this case as covering "unpredictable": everyone will be chosen once, but you don't know if it'll be you next (unless you're #8).

• Love 3

Great episode and two very competitive teams.  I liked that the teams seem to be into it.  The worse is when a celebrity looks bored or wishes they were somewhere else.

I thought the red haired lady was a little annoying at times.  They were practically screaming during that picture --> celebrity name game.

I also hated that David Walton didn't get buzzed for miming bouncing a ball.

I'm surprised at that too. I thought the point of Take A Hint was to say one word, and nothing else. And didn't they penalize someone for doing hand gestures for this game in an earlier season? I'm also surprised that "Grrrrr" is considered a word. I thought it was to be a real word, and not sounds.

And didn't they penalize someone for doing hand gestures for this game in an earlier season?

I think it was the opposite, someone penalized in the hand-gestures-from-behind game for using their face, maybe?

I would love to hear from the contestants about these fuzzy rules, as I was also surprised the dribbling motion was OK, among other things.

I think it was the opposite, someone penalized in the hand-gestures-from-behind game for using their face, maybe?

I think in that particular game it was both -- the one behind (the hands) was penalized for using his face, and the one in front was penalized for using his hands.

• Love 2

I still don't know how he got Justin Bieber.  Even after knowing that's what it is, I don't get it from the clues.

Picture of juice - Jus

Picture of ten fingers - tin

Picture of bee - Bie

Picture of bear - bier

But I agree with the other poster that David Walton got it because he heard his teammate muttering "Bee bear." His enthusiasm in yelling out the answer was so funny - he was excited because it was the first time he'd gotten an answer all evening.

Funny that they used Samuel L. Jackson for Celebrity Name Game again and once again the clue was the same - the hats. I remember because that other time, with Gillian Jacobs, is my favorite Celebrity Name Game ending ever. So exciting. The civilian passed the first time, and then as the clock was ticking down, Gillian screwed up and said a celebrity's name and so Samuel L. Jackson came up in the rotation again and Gillian gave the same clue again because she still didn't have anything else. But apparently the name had occurred to the civilian in the intervening time she'd had to think about it and she screamed out "Samuel L. Jackson" just before time expired. SO exciting!

I cracked up at Mena practically imploding with frustration on the couch listening to Scott and David trying to remember what JK Rowling wrote. She was terrible at Take the Hint, but she sure knew that one!

Jane Lynch obviously can't watch every TV show out there, so I don't blame her for this, but this is a NBC game show and "Grimm" is a NBC show. How the bloody hell did the people who wrote Jane's stuff with David Giuntoli give her the plot that was from last season's premiere?? Fail fail fail. He was nice about it but a bit flummoxed because that's a storyline that ended a long time ago. What a promotion failure on NBC's part. The plot point to bring up for this season's premiere would have been that an evil Wesen is pregnant with Nick's baby.

Hi Kimo! You were amazing and I hope they have you back for a second chance event sometime.

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have to stop saying the popcorn spins at random? Hasn't the first 8 questions always been the 8 different players, no repeats? That's not random.

When you shuffle and deal a deck of cards, the order is random, even though there are no repeats.  Same thing with the Popinator 2250.

Picture of juice - Jus

Picture of ten fingers - tin

Picture of bee - Bie

Picture of bear - bier

But I agree with the other poster that David Walton got it because he heard his teammate muttering "Bee bear." His enthusiasm in yelling out the answer was so funny - he was excited because it was the first time he'd gotten an answer all evening.

Funny that they used Samuel L. Jackson for Celebrity Name Game again and once again the clue was the same - the hats. I remember because that other time, with Gillian Jacobs, is my favorite Celebrity Name Game ending ever. So exciting. The civilian passed the first time, and then as the clock was ticking down, Gillian screwed up and said a celebrity's name and so Samuel L. Jackson came up in the rotation again and Gillian gave the same clue again because she still didn't have anything else. But apparently the name had occurred to the civilian in the intervening time she'd had to think about it and she screamed out "Samuel L. Jackson" just before time expired. SO exciting!

I cracked up at Mena practically imploding with frustration on the couch listening to Scott and David trying to remember what JK Rowling wrote. She was terrible at Take the Hint, but she sure knew that one!

Jane Lynch obviously can't watch every TV show out there, so I don't blame her for this, but this is a NBC game show and "Grimm" is a NBC show. How the bloody hell did the people who wrote Jane's stuff with David Giuntoli give her the plot that was from last season's premiere?? Fail fail fail. He was nice about it but a bit flummoxed because that's a storyline that ended a long time ago. What a promotion failure on NBC's part. The plot point to bring up for this season's premiere would have been that an evil Wesen is pregnant with Nick's baby.

Hi Kimo! You were amazing and I hope they have you back for a second chance event sometime.

Hey Black Knight! Thanks for watching! Even though things didn't go my way, I had an incredible experience with memories to last a lifetime. I'd LOVE to play again, so we'll see. 

• Love 1

Thanks! I agree! ;)

Aaah! Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 

Thanks for the confidence! It was a blast!! 

Just caught this episode and echoing everyone else, Kimo. You really rocked the game, and it was a shame things didn't go your way. I definitely hope you get a chance for redemption in the future! But it's great to hear that it was a wonderful and fun experience either way.