Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Desserts

• Start Topic

For the nine bakers left, it's time to tackle the sweet ending to every meal - desserts.

The signature challenge comes in the form of a French classic - crème brûlées. The bakers need to achieve the perfect wobble of the creme and an audible crack of the brulee. It's not easy though, as they have to brulee under the grill, not with a blow torch. While some will reach perfection, others will serve up scrambled egg and custard soup.

Mary picks the technical challenge, and it's a European medley - the spanische windtorte from Austria, with a nod to Spain and some Swiss and French meringue thrown in. It maybe only be meringue, cream and soft fruit, but it's tricky to construct and needs to be decorated with delicate fondant violets - if only the bakers knew what a violet looked like!

Not one, not two, but three baked cheesecakes make up the show-stopper. Mary and Paul are looking for faultless baked cheesecakes, beautifully flavoured and stacked in a show-stopping way - easy? The bakers don't disappoint with their inventive ingredient combinations, but not all of the tiered cheesecakes are structurally sound.

I'm sure Ian is a great baker, but seriously I am ready for somebody else to have a go at star baker.  Since I can't taste the bakes I have to say that visually I preferred Tamal's.   But those flavor combinations could well have been amazing.  

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.  She amused me.  But it was really, really not her week.   

I think Alvin is probably next.   

I continue to love Nadiya but she's going to have to figure out a technical challenge at some point.   That said?  That sculpture looked awesome.  And I never would have thought to try soda cheesecake.  Now I kind of want it.   

Flora has impressed me every week, but this week?  That was a serious lack of ambition in her show stopper.  Wonder why she went so simple.  I don't feel like her other show stoppers haven't been up to par creativity wise.   

• Love 2

There are some weeks where I'm only interested in eating one of the three challenge assignments but this week I was like OMG! Crème brûlée, cheesecake, and those strawberry/raspberry cream meringue cakes? HELL YEAH! Of course, no one volunteered to make any of those for me but in an awesome coincidence, I bought a crème brûlée at the food trucks right before I came home to watch this episode.

I was shivering while watching the intro with all the rain. My friend was just opining about the rainy British summers last week.

Even though everyone was trying to keep an eye on their crème brûlées through the oven doors, I don't know how they were able to see when they were done. Between having them in tallish ramekins/cups and having the sheets on the highest rack, I have no idea how any of them were able to see the tops of their crème brûlées well enough to know when they were done. That said, when Alvin had his oven open and saying they weren't done enough, I was yelling, "Close the door! You're letting all the hot air out!" And then he forgot to turn on the broiler!

I usually let other people make crème brûlée for me so I am not familiar with the technique Ian used (caramelizing the sugar, letting it cool, putting it in the food processor, and then putting it on top of the crème. Hee, and I laughed when Sandy said the custard should wiggle like her backside. I also loved when she said she felt like Richard Attenborough. I'm glad that Mel was suitably apologetic when she learned that the tuiles she had been playing with were part of Flora's final presentation. I am always worried that Mel or Sue will destroy something that the bakers have made so I was glad that Mary chastised her a bit.

Love that Ugne used marula! Her custard looked perfect too. Tamal's looked great too. I don't blame Sue for stacking up half his ramekins and taking them with her. Besides, they each had to make a dozen and the judges only eat one! (for the record, the crew eats the leftovers) After all that talk about the eggs scrambling, I really wanted some scrambled eggs.

Ha, love that Paul made boozy scrambled eggs. On the other side, we had Flora, Mat, Alvin, and Sandy with custard soup.

Some of the the bakers' Spanische windtortes looked like they had hats perched precariously on the top of their cakes. And that's before we get into Sandy's crazy V-shaped top! Alvin baked the crap out of his meringue so I wasn't surprised that he came in last. Nadiya had the opposite problem with her underbaked meringue.

Were Sue and Mel serious or kidding when they said the cheesecakes had to be sweet, not savory? I wasn't sure if Ian's herby cheesecakes counted as sweet. Loved Nadiya's cake. I loved that her inspiration was wanting to make a fun cake. It turned out really well too.

I was surprised that Mary, Paul, and Sue hadn't heard of ombre before.

I think that Alvin or Mat will be the next to go home.

• Love 3

Poor Sandy, she was so funny, but such a bad day at the office. I knew she was toast when the camera zoomed in on her worried looks. 

Alvin is living dangerously. I wonder if he has the breadth of classic techniques needed. 

Interesting that Flora may well have been snuffed out if Sandy and Alvin had not had disasters. I'm warming to Ugne, she takes flavor risks but has a very methodical    approach. 

Nadiya boiled cheap soda into syrups. I was shouting at the screen, wrong version! You want the one where La Hollywood mixed it up with the Latina. 

Just once I would have loved to see a Bourdain food snobbery reaction...but it looked amazing.

Mary, Mat and Sandy were practically psychedelic with their colorful clothing  choices -  they already were in a tent, I wanted someone to start banging a tambourine and declare a 60s style happening. 

What does Tamal have to do? I'm getting tired of Ian's smug face. It's time for curly to take the prize. 

I was surprised that Mary, Paul, and Sue hadn't heard of ombre before.

LMAO, I sure wasn't with Sue -  a sniff of pomade and she would be a drag king! And don't even think Mat will be leaving. I need to see him in more plaid. 

• Love 2

I'm going to miss Sandy.  I know she kept having missteps, but she made me smile.  I also loved the Attenborough comment.  It's quite fitting for all the camera shots of the bakers staring into the ovens.  

The technical challenge windtorte seemed very unappetizing (and a lot of work) to me!  I'm not really a fan of meringue though.

The apple and tarragon cheesecake idea instantly made me think of stuffing/dressing, which made it inherently unappetizing.  Also, I don't like rosemary (I know, I know, I'm weird), so I generally disliked Ian's concept.  I want to try Nadiya's though!  Well, I'd love to try most of them.  I just might be inspired to make one this week - but not quite as ambitious as the ones shown.    

I like Tamal's happy dances and I hope he gets star baker soon.  For lack of a better phrase, I don't see Ian "crushing the competition" enough to warrant star baker three weeks in a row.  

• Love 5

Even more amusing than the happy dance was Sandy's playful strangling of Paul after she was eliminated. As for Paul #2, he better watch out next week. Someone on another board pointed out that the contestants so far have been eliminated in reverse age order.

I like the thought Nadiya put into her dish. I'd be more curious, though, to try Flora's elderflower cheesecake or Ian's peppercorn one. It's too bad Paul said he was unable to taste that particular spice.

Besides Nadiya's very relatable personality, I find myself only warming up to these contestants once they've shown up on Extra Slice. I'm with that comedian who jokingly answered Chetna last week when asked who his favorite baker is this season. I'm feeling meh about them and maybe it's because, as Paul told one reporter, it took awhile for this group to gel.

Edited for some grammar issues.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 2

I love elderflower so I wish I could have tasted Flora's cheesecake! I also loved that Paul made his own blackberry liqueur (and that Sue said it packed a punch!). Heh and thanks for reminding me about Sandy strangling Paul H as the music played. I will miss her sense of humor.

Paul #2 has been up and down. He has been consistently bad at the technical challenges, finishing tenth every every week until getting first this week. I don't remember much about his early showstoppers but I remember being impressed with his lion (partly because I couldn't recall any of his previous showstoppers). If he has a really bad week, I could see him going home but I think it's more likely that Alvin or Mat will be next. They will have to do really well next week (or someone else will have to do really terribly). But based on next week's theme (alternative ingredients), anyone could make a huge mistake so maybe Alvin and Mat will survive one more time.

• Love 1

Were Sue and Mel serious or kidding when they said the cheesecakes had to be sweet, not savory?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found that to be a curious line.

Nadiya boiled cheap soda into syrups.

I looked up the recipe on the BBC site and interestingly she cites common flavors like vanilla extract and lemon instead of homemade syrups.

I love elderflower so I wish I could have tasted Flora's cheesecake! I also loved that Paul made his own blackberry liqueur (and that Sue said it packed a punch!). Heh and thanks for reminding me about Sandy strangling Paul H as the music played. I will miss her sense of humor.

But based on next week's theme (alternative ingredients), anyone could make a huge mistake so maybe Alvin and Mat will survive one more time.

I really wish it was a more common flavor outside of Europe.

The Beebs tweeted a gif of it and she really had to stand on her tiptoes to reach his neck.

Alvin has shown an ability to manage some tricky ingredients and I think that if he manages his time, he actually creates some interesting flavor combinations. Mat seems wobblier of the two but you're absolutely right about how next week's theme could throw any of the contestants for a loop.

Edited to add links.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1

A friend wondered if Sandy's oven was malfunctioning, as she essentially made the same mistake 3 times. Surely that was considered and checked at the time? I'd hate for there to be the possibility of another "scandal."

I found a bunch of savory cheesecake recipes online.  On this link: http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2014/12/savory_cheesecakes_are_perfect.htmlI am intrigued by the Mexican cheesecake.

They sound yummy! I just don't think of savory cheesecakes as desserts per se, which is why I thought it was odd the show would specifically request sweet ones.

A friend wondered if Sandy's oven was malfunctioning, as she essentially made the same mistake 3 times. Surely that was considered and checked at the time? I'd hate for there to be the possibility of another "scandal."

I hadn't thought of that. I just figured it was something like an unfamiliar oven model with some fussy settings. Maybe the question will be covered in the post-show tonight.

• Love 1

My mom used to make Mexican cheesecake as an appetizer at large dinner parties in the mid 90s.   It was a huge hit.  And she made a smoked salmon cheesecake for my brother's wedding.  People still ask for that recipe but she was so frazzled doing the catering for that wedding that she coudln't remember the recipe the next week, much less now 14 years later.   

She hates sweet cheesecake.   

I love sweet cheesecake but like the savory kind as well.  

• Love 2

I actually don't like savory cheesecake (from my couple of encounters with it), but I know others do. And in reference to this challenge, though it may not be dessert-like, based on past challenges it's exactly the sort of thing one contestant might choose in order to think outside the box or set themselves apart from the others, or whatever the relevant cliché might be... unless it was specifically disallowed as an option.

• Love 2

So I guess Ian is this season's Richard in terms of hogging Star Baker for no discernible reason other than Paul and Mary's puzzling obsession with him. Yawn.

Alvin was last in the technical so I don't understand why Sandy had to go before him. 

I'm feeling meh about them and maybe it's because, as Paul told one reporter, it took awhile for this group to gel.

Same. This is the first time in the five seasons of this show that I watched that I'm just not feeling the contestants (except for Flora and Ugne, who I'm rooting for but both of whom don't have a shot in hell of making the final). Do you have a link to the article where Paul said that? That is interesting and I agree that that's probably why we feel this way.

Edited by Niuxita

So I guess Ian is this season's Richard in terms of hogging Star Baker for no discernible reason other than Paul and Mary's puzzling obsession with him. Yawn.

Alvin was last in the technical so I don't understand why Sandy had to go before him.

I like Richard more than Ian, but to be fair from what we've seen, Ian has been so consistently good the last three weeks, no one has come close in consistency. It can be a bit boring when someone wins Star Baker, but if for all intents purposes, it seems fair. I do think Tamal would have had a better chance this week if his Signature bake had turned out better.

Sandy was crap in all three challenges. I'll miss her, but I knew she'd have to make one amazing Showstopper to rescue herself and she couldn't. Alvin had issues, but he made it up with his flavour combinations though.

Nadiya has done poorly on all the technical challenges, but she makes some really amazing Showstoppers. I loved her presentation with the cream soda cheesecake.

• Love 6
Same. This is the first time in the five seasons of this show that I watched that I'm just not feeling the contestants (except for Flora and Ugne, who I'm rooting for but both of whom don't have a shot in hell of making the final). Do you have a link to the article where Paul said that? That is interesting and I agree that that's probably why we feel this way.

I'm not sure which is the original interview, but Paul's quoted verbatim in a bunch of places, saying: 

They didn't bond like some of the other groups did right from the beginning, but from week three or four they did. They were so into their work and very professional in the way they attacked everything. Even coming down to the final, it's going to be a real game changer.

Mary also said something similar.

On Extra Slice, Rinaldo, Sandy said that she really doesn't know what happened with the creme brulee, insisting she preheated the oven and used hot water.

• Love 2

I need Nadiya to nail a technical challenge next week, I don't want to worry about her going home any time soon. And Mat needs to up his game as well if he wants to stay in it.

I don't mind Ian winning Star Baker again as his consistency is unmatched and, hell, I like him. Though Tamal really stepped up this week.

• Love 7
(edited)

During the judging, I loved Sue scooping into Tamal's rhubarb and ginger brulee like she meant it, then stacking up six of them to take with her.

I am firmly, FIRMLY, on the side of a graham cracker crust, no flour cheesecake.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 11

Man, tough crowd around here, with all the mehs and yawns. I'm enjoying this season just as much as any others. I think the Spanisch Windtorte was the most INSANE thing I've ever seen for a technical. When they showed the example cake with Mary and Paul, I thought, "Damn, they are all screwed." And then...what do you know, they all pretty much got it right. Those ranked the lowest were not that bad at all. Normally there's at least one person who pretty much tanks it.

Tamal's cheesecakes were so. gorgeous. The hazelnuts with the spun caramel were wonderful. Several bakers had very beautiful cakes, this group is a bit more skilled in design and decoration than previous seasons. Nadiya's Fizzy Pop cakes? Wow.

I could barely handle how ridiculously cute those black lambs were.

• Love 15
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Bretley said:

Man, tough crowd around here, with all the mehs and yawns

Indeed. Unlike US competition snows, the outcome isn't supposed to be unexpected or a reversal. The private summaries always tell us accurately who's doing well and badly, with no tricks. The suspense and entertainment is (wonderfully) in the actual minutiae of the baking itself: has he left enough time to bake a meringue long enough without discoloring it? will her crème brulée set properly without curdling? That's what I love about it. I was pulling for the adorable Tamal, but of course we the spectators can't sample the flavors, and it looked like Ian has genuinely earned his 3 stints as star baker. (The judges would surely prefer to vary the winner if the results justified it.)

A couple of minor points left unexplained (or at least I didn't hear a clarification). Alvin left his edible pansies on the train? but he was still hoping they might turn up while working on his Showstopper? Was there a British Rail search underway to retrieve them? And why did Sandy think it was a good idea to bend the lid of her Spanischer Windtorte? At first I thought it was an unfortunate accident, but then it seemed she really wanted it that way.

Once again, Nadiya proves herself the champ of spontaneous humor, and also a real embracer of popular culture with the fizzy-pop sculpture. She put a ton of preparation and forethought into a construction so gratifyingly silly.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 11

1. I didn't understand the reference to pansies in the creme brulee challenge:  he put blackberries in the bottom of the ramekins:  not a pansy in sight.  And he couldn't have known he'd need to make violets/pansies for the technical challenge so that whole thing is a head-scratcher to me.

2. Sandy wanted to make her lid look like a picnic basket type top: a fairly common thing when there would be filling "bulging" out of the bottom part of the structure.  Unfortunately it wasn't appropriate for this dessert because she didn't have a bulging filling situation.

I was pretty surprised that so few of the bakers used a bain marie to cook their cheesecakes.   Also, speaking of cheesecakes, having a sponge "crust" is not uncommon (more common than pastry in my experience).

(edited)
15 minutes ago, DHDancer said:

I didn't understand the reference to pansies in the creme brulee challenge:  he put blackberries in the bottom of the ramekins:  not a pansy in sight.  And he couldn't have known he'd need to make violets/pansies for the technical challenge so that whole thing is a head-scratcher to me.

I would like more of an explanation too (I may go searching). But as I understood it, we didn't see any pansies because he lost them en route to the weekend's competition (left them on the train). The puzzling thing to me was that during the Showstopper (I think?) he talked as if he was still hoping for them to show up so he could still use them. Either the railway Lost Property offices had been alerted by the BBC, or it was Alvin's attempt at a joke (that didn't come off because he always looks worried even when he's joking). Edited to add: The GBBO actually tweeted about this:

Alvin left his edible pansies on the train and is "waiting for them to come". Impressed they know how to use public transport

The violets in the Technical were a separate matter. They were given some molding substance (sugar paste?) in 3 colors as part of their ingredients, out of which they had to create decorative violets. Kudos to Prison Paul for making the nicest ones.

Thanks for the explanation about Sandy's meringue lid. I understand her reasoning now, even if it didn't work out as intended.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

I like Ian and am glad he's been doing so well, though personally, this week, I thought Tamal should've been Star Baker. I think Ian deserved it the other two weeks but I thought Tamal's cheesecake stack was gorgeous. Nadiya's looked really good as well.

I'm glad the last challenge was able to redeem Mat, he's had a tough couple of weeks. I figured elimination was down to either Sandy or Alvin and I guess it was Sandy. But it's sad to see any of them go.

• Love 5

I was really pulling for Tamal to win this week, and I'll miss Sandy's fun and energy.  I knew Tamal's cheesecakes were going to be fantastic the minute he mentioned the bain-marie.  That's the best way to get an even bake and a really creamy texture.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The violets in the Technical were a separate matter. They were given some molding substance (sugar paste?) in 3 colors as part of their ingredients, out of which they had to create decorative violets. Kudos to Prison Paul for making the nicest ones.

Since one of his other hobbies is making spun sugar flowers, I'm not surprised he had the nicest violets, even though I think those were made from colored fondant.

• Love 3

When I first started watching this show several seasons ago, I disliked Sue and Mel and their nonsense.  I guess they've grown on me because I don't mind them now.  However, the judges or the producers should tell them to keep their hands off the bakers' stuff.  After Sue damaged an important piece last week, I was very surprised to see Mel fooling around with Flora's pastry circles.  I don't suppose the bakers feel they can say anything without causing offense but I'll bet they don't like the interference.

• Love 1

Mel and Sue frequently offer moral support to the bakers, so I think they are happy to have them around.  Think about Dorrett's melting disaster in the first episode.  Mel grabbed her and got her focused on what she could show the judges.  That kept her from being eliminated.

Nadija's complete failure on all the technical challenges is clearly baffling the judges.  They know it's hard, but they expect you to get some of them right.

And right after I make a snarky comment about the sheep, the black ones show up again.  Baaa Baaa and all that.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Bretley said:

I think the Spanisch Windtorte was the most INSANE thing I've ever seen for a technical. When they showed the example cake with Mary and Paul, I thought, "Damn, they are all screwed."

I kind of hate meringue so those were unappealing to my imaginary GBBO taste buds to start with, but it was funny to me that most of the contestants had much more trouble with baguettes as a technical challenge. Everyone certainly know the requirements going in, but the skillsets for a pastry chef vs a bread baker aren't exactly the same and the contestants have to be well versed in so many techniques.

Ian is right up there with Nadiya in the emotive facial expressions sweepstakes, but add in his full-on blushing and I think he may take the ... cake.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Mel and Sue frequently offer moral support to the bakers, so I think they are happy to have them around.  Think about Dorrett's melting disaster in the first episode.  Mel grabbed her and got her focused on what she could show the judges.  That kept her from being eliminated.

Absolutely. An unspoken subtext of all her encouraging words was steering her away from the waste bin, but the encouraging words were genuine, and needed.

Also, as was discussed here last year, we owe Mel and Sue a lot for the fact that this franchise avoids the contrived drama and the sobby back-stories that other competition shows (Including UK ones) revel in. In the very first season, they found a producer trying to elicit tears from a baker in an interview and threatened to walk off the show if that sort of thing was done, insisting that the show could be suspenseful and absorbing without it. And one reads stories that when something especially mortifying happens, Mel or Sue will let fly with a string of expletives or copyright songs, so that the footage can't be used.

Plus I've come to value their presence just as spectators, keeping the atmosphere light and cheerful, free of the melodrama of other shows. It's harder to do than it looks, as we saw when Nia and Ian (perfectly pleasant, amusing people in other contexts) tried to do it on the Holiday show. If their looseness occasionally leads to inadvertent overstepping, they do immediately apologize, and the bakers in general seem to be glad they're around.

• Love 24

Even though I understood Sandy was doing it intentionally with the lid, I thought it was a bizarre choice from the get-go in a technical challenge. It was doomed to look like she was trying to cover up a mistake. It's a technical. They're not looking for individual spin. They want it technically perfect. If the instructions didn't say anything about bending or "opening" the lid, there was no reason to think one should. It's not the same as the bread challenge assuming the bakers would know they need steam. The look is the look. So that was a weird moment for me.

• Love 6

The WaPo recap this week covers both Episodes 3 and 4, so I'm putting the link here.

recap of Episodes 3 and 4

Due to the late hour, I didn't get to see the end of Episode 4.  Episode 3, however, made me very hungry for soda breads.  I thought that the bakers overall did a great job on them, and Paul's showstopper bread sculpture really was wonderful. I'll continue to buy baguettes and appreciate the skill of bakers who make really good ones.

• Love 3

I get all that and I agree.  But I do think they could do all the good things they do without touching the works in progress.  The bakers are under a lot of stress.  They shouldn't have to deal with mishaps they didn't cause themselves.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, mlp said:

I get all that and I agree.  But I do think they could do all the good things they do without touching the works in progress.  The bakers are under a lot of stress.  They shouldn't have to deal with mishaps they didn't cause themselves.

To be fair, Sue only messed up a bake one time and they rarely mess the contestants up. I do not really mind them touching the works too often because while this show is suspenseful, there is an element of "It's a fun baking competition" where it's not the end of the world if things collapse. People shrug and commiserate, but what's wonderful is that there is an element of fun to it.

Mel & Sue are loved by the contestants to a ridiculous degree. Many past bakers have said their days in the tent would be much more stressful and longer. They shoot up to 12 hours a day so the levity of Mel & Sue help. They are outsiders in a way that remind the contestants to smile and enjoy the process.

• Love 8

The reason I don't mind too much when Sue or Mel screw up someone's bake is that 1) they admit to it and 2) the judges don't seem to hold it against the baker. I would be FURIOUS if, say Nadiya had gotten kicked off because her bowl thing wasn't finished when it was Sue smashing it that caused it to be unfinished. But Sue admitted what happened, the Judges gave a sort of "that's too bad" and judged her on what she was able to present.

I didn't know that about Mel and Sue, being such supporters of the total lack of manufactured drama, but now I love them even more. I admit they took some getting used to, Sue more than Mel, but I do enjoy them now. A lot. The comradery between them and Paul and Mary is great, as is the comradery between them and the bakers, and even the judges and the bakers.

I love when Paul does his Paul look at a baker who is trying something unusual. Because I can now see that he is doing it in a teasing manner. I was actually surprised to read that this group took longer to bond or whatever, because they seem really close to me already.

• Love 6

Mel and Sue often pitch in and help someone get their presentation together as the seconds tick down, something I find quite endearing and which probably wouldn't be allowed if there was an actual cash prize at the end of all this.

• Love 8

I also love the fact that contestants help each other, both with advice and actual hands on when they can.  That's just great sportsmanship.  In the US shows, they are more likely to sabotage each other.

• Love 9

I don't blame Sue for stacking up half his ramekins and taking them with her.

I thought that was the funniest moment of the episode. I loved how she did it so discreetly... 

I am having an issue with closed captioning, both with this episode and episode 3. I watch online (www.pbs.org) and in these two episodes the captions flashed on for about a second and then off. Nor were all of the captions displayed. I popped a note to PBS, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced closed caption issues. Never had them last season or with episodes 1 and 2 of this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

@adhoc, I haven't had that experience personally, but since it is an issue with the streaming, I wonder if it might've been a bandwidth thing? Just the way you described it made me think of that. It's hard to say though. If you streamed something else with cc at the same time (not concurrently, but I mean, stop this show, try to reproduce it with something else) and it didn't have the problem that would theoretically rule that out, and narrow it down to a PBS problem. Just throwing it out there in case it helps. If you were streaming in full HD and the picture was fine, not self-adjusting, it's probably less likely, but might be worth a little experimenting.

Edited by theatremouse

I didn't have a problem with the close-captioning, but both of the episodes Friday night kept breaking up and pixelating (not sure of the correct technical term but it's when the digital signal breaks up the picture into all lines, squares and rectangles and everything just stops for a second or two) on WTTW, channel 11 in Chicago. Then on Saturday, WTTW Prime, channel 370 has been rerunning US Season 1 and they had the same issue. I thought it was a local problem but I guess it's not.

• Love 1

@Adhoc ...I had the same issue as you did with the captions -- it was quite frustrating. I almost always needs captions for British shows or I feel like I miss things here and there. (Had to watch online since our cable company doesn't have PBS on the OnDemand -- this was a new issue for me and one I didn't have when I watched Endeavor a few days before in the same manner.)

• Love 1

tljgator - "I almost always needs captions for British shows"   

So true!!

Thanks for letting me know, folks, that it's not necessarily just me. Of course, it could be something wrong with AT&T (my DSL provider), I suppose.

If anyone watches this episode via over-the-air broadcasting or cable, and you happen to use closed captioning, would you let us know if you're experiencing the same issue? I'm guessing it's just related to streaming over the internet, but you never know.

So, I think was this episode, and not the bread one, but did I actually hear Mary Berry say "blow me" (like, "well, blow me if he didn't come up with something delicious!") during the chat-at-the-table portion of the show? I, of course, didn't rewind and did delete the episode, but the fact that the camera stayed on Sue's deadpan face for like 5 seconds afterward makes me think it was that. 

• Love 5