Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Whelp, I was in the camp that was underwhelmed.  That said, I wouldn't say it was horrible as the critics were saying, so that's certainly a good thing. But it just felt very by-the-numbers and disposable to me, and I doubt I will remember a thing about it after a few months or even weeks.  Then again, I wasn't wild about Days of Future Past despite the hype, so I was kind of prepared for it.  Maybe I'm just not into the X-Men franchise anymore.  I still think X-Men 2: United was the peak of the series.

My biggest issue was easily Apocalypse.  Oscar Issac might be one of the most talent and charismatic actors on the planet, but Apocalypse was just... I don't know.  If felt like he was either talking in an overdramatic fashion or just bellowing and screaming like an one dimensional madman.  All of his dramatic lines (especially the overplayed in the trailers "Everything they built will fall!!!" one) just made me roll my eyes.  I wanted more of a powerhouse and menacing villain, but I just felt like he was so one dimensional, despite Oscar's talents.

Second issue was I just wasn't feeling Magneto's stuff.  First, I was already shaking my head when they introduced the obviously doomed wife and daughter, because that's still a thing?  And then I just couldn't fully buy him joining Team Apocalypse.  I could buy him going bad again, but the thing about Magneto for me is that he is the one that runs the show.  I just couldn't buy him willing to be a lackey that easily.  And then his turnaround was way too quick.  Only match over how quickly the world seemed to forgive him for playing a big part in the destruction of Cairo.  Michael Fassbender was great at least, even if he was saddle with some clunkers; especially the one moment where he actually screams "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT FROM ME?!!!" to the heavens. which just had me laughing.  Not as bad as Wolverine's dramatic "NOOOOO!" from X-Men Origins, but it was so cheesy.

Really, the Horsemen were kind of busts.  I can barely remember Angel guy.  Storm was poorly used despite being one of the most iconic characters, and her suddenly joining Team X-Men almost felt less like she saw the errors of her ways, and just wanted to join the winning side.  As for Psylocke, it was clear they just wanted her to be a badass and have Olivia Munn pretty much wear a bathing suit for the entire thing.  I get that she isn't a master thespian, but she was actually really good in The Newsroom, so have a little more faith in her, Singer.

On the other hand, I surprisingly liked the new X-Men kiddos.  Nightcrawler was my favorite, but Scott/Cyclops had his moments, and I dug Sophie Turner as Jean, even if she seemed to be struggling with her accent at times, and I almost wish she just went British (after-all, apparently Xavier will loose his Scottish accent somewhere down the line and start sounding like Captain Picard.)  Hank/Beast is still great too.  And I liked how almost all played a part in taking out Apocalypse, although Jean did get the awesome finisher.

As for Jennifer Lawrence and Mystique, I can't say I agree that she was phoning it in exactly, but I did feel like she just basically did her Katniss for a lot of this stuff.  After her big inspirational speech, I was waiting for her to end it with "And now it's time to take back the Capital and defeat Snow!"

Quicksilver was awesome again and his big scene was easily my favorite thing about the entire film.

Felt like Xavier got wasted at the end, but James McAvoy did what he could.  He and Fassbender still have great chemistry.

I know Rose Byrne is popular now, but Moira's purpose seem to be to just hang around and inadvertently cause this entire thing by not covering the hole again, and letting the sunlight do its thing in bringing Apocalypse back to life.  Nice one, MacTaggert.

And I'm totally probably alone on an island, but I rolled my eyes over the Wolverine appearance.  I'm just over him now.  And while Hugh Jackman still looks good, I can really tell now that he is aging and it just kind of ruins the whole "He's immortal thing."

That's basically what it was, but specifically, it was her choosing Mystique's side.  Before Apocalypse turns her hair silver there's a picture of her on the wall and she says she idolizes her.

It wasn't so much, "Apocalypse is losing" as "OH SHIT I'm fighting my idol!  I made a bad choice"

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Watermelon said:

That's basically what it was, but specifically, it was her choosing Mystique's side.  Before Apocalypse turns her hair silver there's a picture of her on the wall and she says she idolizes her.

It wasn't so much, "Apocalypse is losing" as "OH SHIT I'm fighting my idol!  I made a bad choice"

Also she had seen Apocalypse look at Angel's dead body and say "Useless."  She sees that, but on the other side she sees mutants fighting as a team, if one dies nobody's going to say "Useless", she knew that Charles in his message said "Those of you who are the strongest, protect those who aren't", and adding in her idol being Mystique, I think it made sense in the story that she would jump to the X-Men, not because of Apocalypse losing.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 2016-05-29 at 10:57 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yeah, you don't need to yell at a telepath, but yelling is so much more rewarding, no?

Heh. True enough. Maybe Moira gave him a slap upside the inside of his big bald head, and left him with a whanger of a headache?

Have Poxie's powers ever been anything other than vaguely defined? In the comics he's supposed to be the strongest mutant of all, but just how, exactly, I've never been completely clear on. I'm not sure that's a flaw of the movie -- or at least not of the movie alone.

But now I'm amusing myself with the idea of Olivia Munn having a panic attack: "Oh, no! Not a paper bag!"

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

A panic attack would require her to express emotion—I'm not sure that's within her capabilities.

I think Apocalypse is supposed to just have (admitedly very formidable) growth/shapeshifting/body manipulation powers in the comics, and uses cast-off Celestial technology for things like brainwashing, enhancing other mutants' abilities, and so forth. But, y'know, Celestial technology has been used to do things like sink the Lemurian continent and imbue the entire human race with the potential for super-powered mutations in the first place, so I guess almost any feat is up for grabs.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this chapter. It felt like a cohesive story while still lauding to some of the things we've seen in the other films, Raven's un easy allegiance with Charles and Erik, and especially the apparent current truce between humans and mutants. The scene of them coming out of the movie theater in the mall was so good for more than just the joke about X3. There's Kurt acting like a normal teenager all blue and be-tailed and for maybe the first time in the movies, the general public isn't acting hostile towards a very visible mutant. But we still have the situation with Erik in Poland (though he's a known dangerous mutant.

Singer portrayed the young mutants really well too, on both sides of the fracas. I like the take on Scott, one we haven't seen before. He's young and confrontational. He hasn't bought into the dream yet, but that's because he didn't have the opportunity to yet. But he's still the voice for his group. Jean is a self-confident student of Charles, but wary of her own powers. Warren is caught between his lives, and Ororo's motivations are very clear.

I think the X movies get compared to the MCU films too much, which is inherent, but they're very different and good in their own ways. This one balanced all the characters (their biggest obsticle) the best since X2. Introducing (or re-introducing) characters with effective balance with the charters we already know.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I didn't mind that, because this time it makes a whole lot of sense.  Charles knew what happened in Last Stand, thanks to reading Logan's mind, so this time with Charles telling her to unleash the power, stops Last Stand from happening.  He's telling her to embrace that power, control it, and unleash it, instead of being afraid of it, and burying it.

Okay, this does make me feel better - you are right - this does make sense, here. Still, it's like the 4th movie with the same arc for Jean - so it is tiring. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Quicksilver and Wolverine get the best reception in the theatre. In fact one guy yelled at the screen because nobody thanked Quicksilver for getting them out of the mansion. Then everyone agreed with the guy and clapped. At the end of the movie again we all clapped.  

At first I was surprised they didn't reveal to Magneto that Quicksilver is his son but I guess they can save it for another movie. I hope it happens because in S4 of American Horror Story Michael Chiklis(Ben/Thing) plays Evan Peters father. Its a weird funny crossover lol. Evan has a scene where he confronts him about it. 

It was weird at first hearing Jean speak I am so use to her on Game of thrones that it took me a minute to get use to it. I thought she did fine with it and the line about the 3rd one always being the worse was funny.

I am glad Jlaw is gone and I hope no amount of money can get her to come back. I do hope Fassbender and Mcavoy return. 

The movie did have to many characters but it was enjoyable. I think the first reviews were a bit harsh.

Edited by ShadowHunter

The whole Quicksilver/Magneto thing is so weird...like, are they gearing up for some big reveal? But then why have Mystique just randomly tell people about it, since Storm (was it her? I forgot) came up to him at the end of the movie and said, hey Mystique told me he's your dad...I mean, it would be kind of hilarious if everybody knew except for Erik.

Honestly, thinking about it again that motivational family of Magneto's is just really unnecessary. They also didn't feel like actual people, they only existed to die and give Magneto sad feels. Which is not needed since he's already chock full of trauma.

I wish they had let Charles be more badass in his final mind fight with Apocalypse. They never seem to know what to do with him when he can't walk. 

• Love 3

Eh. Bit of a letdown after Civil War, though nowhere near as bad as BvS. And, of course, there's going to be another movie, even if the bulk of the new characters won't have much to do. Bryan Singer is probably wondering how he can make Mr. Sinister work, or just say "Fuck it" and leave it to somebody else. Honestly, has anybody been jazzed about Nathaniel Essex? Ever?? Ever if you throw in X-23, it still would be a challenge.

I feel bad for the lack for the supporting cast. No fireworks from Jubilee. No psychic butterfly from Psylocke. Is this Angel/Archangel the same was Warren Worthington III from X3, or are we not acknowledging that film was ever made? On the bright side: Nightcrawler in Michael Jackson jacket. Are we junking the idea that Raven/Mystique is his mother?

Of course, the Quicksilver scene stole the movie. Awesome to see him save everybody. Well, almost everybody . ..  sorry, Alex. And I'd like to know the story behind the French Bulldog.

Where is the best place to find out about the Easter eggs? I'm thinking a lot went over my head.

ETA: Anybody else expect Erik's wife and daughter to get stuck in a refrigerator? Man, that sucked.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the story.  I am not a big X Men fan and haven't seen all the prior movies, but I've seen a few.  I had low expectations based on the reviews.  It wasn't the best film but I thought it was enjoyable.  

I thought it dragged at times and was a bit long.  It was an interesting telling of the origins or beginnings of many of the characters though.  

I did like Civil War better, but this was not a bad movie.  Just an average one.  Nothing spectacular but solid.  

• Love 1

Good lord this movie. I'm going to put this in the camp with Jurassic World. People enjoy being in this world and it gets movies a pass.

Jennifer Lawrence looked bored as hell.

I'm tired of magneto going back to square one ever since first class. 

These, for the most part, are not anything resembling real characters. I don't understand how anyone could get any sort of enjoyment out of characters so underdeveloped. 

The same the world is going to end we all get in the third act set piece but even more lifeless than usual.

The time line is all over the place and it's tiring now. Stop jumping a decade for every movie. They want to jump to the 90s for the next one.

I just don't care about any of this. I want to but I don't. Some of it was fun. It's not a terrible movie but I'm tired of these mediocre x men movies. They need a new director and a new vision. I will not be returning for the next one.

• Love 2
(edited)

For some reason this just felt like "oh yeah, another X-Men movie.." (Or, "The onging, neverending bromance of Professor Xavier and Magneto" )
Nothing seems that significant now that they have reset the timeline, replaced characters with other actors, changed characters' nationalities (Angel), etc. 

On the positive side, Magneto did not seem like such a psychopathic asshole as he has in the previous movies. Yet, still, Xavier doesn't seem to mind all the humans that Magneto kills - either directly or indirectly from all the mass destruction. And we saw from Storm and Magneto turning on Apocalypse in the end, that the horsemen had free will when deciding to rip down buildings or bridges (you could actually see people running on the bridge). 

Another nice change was that the actual X-Men seemed to have gotten more story and screen time in this movie. But the choice to have Mystique and Beast appear as Jennifer Laurence and Nicholas Hoult for most of the movie seemed like a cop out. 

The destruction and reconstruction of the Xavier mansion happened so quickly that it seemed to hardly matter. The reconstruction by Magneto and Jean just looked silly (who manages installing  the plumbing and getting the place wired for cable? ) 

All in all, it was entertaining, but mostly forgettable... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

The overall impression of this movie I'm getting is "It wasn't THAT bad" which is, while not unexpected, disappointing.

Don't settle on middling, Singer, shoot for the stars, go for terrible! Talk to Snyder!

• Love 4

I'd rather he keep on making mediocre, basically enjoyable movies if he can't manage really good ones anymore. Marvel's super-hero efforts this year have been a welcome relief from leaving the cinema wanting to strangle the director, an effect both Snyder and Whedon have had on me in recent movies.

• Love 2

I did find it amusing that they rebuilt the mansion, but no mention of them helping to rebuild the thousands of year old city of Cairo they also destroyed. 

Those non-American cities, no need to worry about them. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JessePinkman said:

The overall impression of this movie I'm getting is "It wasn't THAT bad" which is, while not unexpected, disappointing.

Don't settle on middling, Singer, shoot for the stars, go for terrible! Talk to Snyder!

I thought the final battle in Apocalypse was much better although Singer really does seem to struggle when it comes to action scenes.

Am I the only one that doesn't buy Erik being oblivious of Quicksilver's paternity?

We all saw the look on his face in Days of Future Past when Quicksilver mentioned his mom knowing a guy that could move metal. He KNEW.

• Love 1

I know the other thing that bugged me.  When they were in cerebra, first it showed all humans on earth to connect with then it showed all mutants/X-men (and really shouldn't it be X-'people' anyway....)........based on how it looked it appeared just about every person was a mutant, the number of dots and symbols didn't change much between the two.  I thought X-men were rare, or at least a low percentage of the population.  That made it look more like half the population was a mutant

• Love 1
On 5/29/2016 at 7:21 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

And the men get nice, sturdy armor, but the women get hyper-feminine, impractical, revealing and/or formfitting gear (especially Psylocke) to show off their smokin' hot bods! Smooth, Bryan Singer.

Everything I've read says that it was Munn who insisted on the classic costume and that Singer wanted her to have the same leather type costume that most of the cast wore. 

It does make sense that Singer wouldn't be the one responsible for a female character in cheesecake-y outfit/poses. Historically it's Hugh Jackman on eye candy duty in his X-Men movies.

• Love 3
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I'd rather he keep on making mediocre, basically enjoyable movies if he can't manage really good ones anymore. Marvel's super-hero efforts this year have been a welcome relief from leaving the cinema wanting to strangle the director, an effect both Snyder and Whedon have had on me in recent movies.

I rather someone make actually good movies that stand up to the best comic book movies have to offer instead of wading in mediocrity. 

• Love 2

Second viewing, which solidified that I quite like this, on the whole. It has one really major flaw, though, namely the handling of Storm. Alexandra Shipp is well-cast, but the movie sets up an arc for her from Horseman to X-Man that never really takes focus. And with a few tweaks I think this could have worked. When she first meets Apocalypse there's a moment where he pronounces that the world needs to be "cleansed" in whatever language he's speaking, which Storm doesn't understand, so when he speaks English he amends it to "saved". And his early actions, like gathering some mutant followers and giving them power boosts, destroying the world's nuclear weapons, can easily be read as saving the world. But when he switches to openly talking about wiping out most of the world, and in particular when he destroys Cairo, Storm's hometown, she has no reaction whatsoever. She really needed to turn against Apocalypse then.

• Love 3

A sign this movie isn't doing so well: only THREE show times available for Saturday, the last at 7:35 pm on the standard screen.  Not sure why more are available for the 3D show times. And it's only in its second week.

I'll be seeing it tonight.

66% drop this week as it should be. Thank God the masses are generally down on this tripe. Once again, the international box office will save it. It does every time. Mediocre us box office with great international box office. It's already made 400 million world wide and less than 100 million of it is domestic money. It's still going to make like 100 million less than days of future past based on estimates. 

Just came back from watching it. So, so glad I had a free ticket. Well, not exactly. Because the Regal theatres are now "select your own seat" theatres, you have to pay a surcharge. So, I paid $1.50, and it was worth that price for the good, and yes, I am not going to lie, to see Jackman's Wolverine cameo. Not for Wolverine, per se, but to see Hugh Jackman.

The Good:

Charles's forgetting that he and Moira hadn't met each other, didn't know each other; just the bumbling. It was so adorable! And I wasn't the only one to think so, either!

YES! This is the Jean I've been waiting to see in Live Action. Even if she is a teen. Very reminiscent of Evolution Jean, whom I love. And I loved her and Scott's first meeting--the psychic link. And I loved her line about the "third movie always being the worst" when she, Scott, Kurt, and Jubilee left the movies. Had to be shout out to Last Stand.

KURT! Just like Jean, this iteration reminded me of his character on Evolution.

Pietro. Not as funny as the one from Days of Future Past, but still made me laugh, as did the looks of the kids and some teens as he was saving them.

Seeing Wolverine as Weapon X. Too bad he wasn't nekkid. (What?) I'm sad this was his last appearance as Logan in the X-Men franchise, because he still looks damn good. 

James McAvoy. I just adore him.

The Bad:

The rest of it. The sheer FUCKERY that Hank, Charles, the rest of the mutant kids/teens look at Mystique as some fucking hero just frosts my cookies. That SHE is part of the X-Men and is now in charge of training them. UGH. There are not enough curse words to emphasize my rage over this. And it grieves me.  I didn't read any of the comics, and my knowledge of her is from the 90s cartoon and Evolution, but she was always Apocalypse's minion. Was a part of the whole Apocalypse ruling the world. I HATE this version of Warren Worthington III and how he was made to be one of the horseman. 

Sure, go ahead and kill Alex why don't you. That didn't piss me off. Like, at all. That's sarcasm by the way.  The worst part was Storm, during the battle, just standing there, watching, watching, watching, before she took any action. Same with Jean. How the movie just did that slow motion, while Charles is slowly slipping away, and the camera is focused on Jean, doing nothing the first two times, just staring at Charles, as he's begging for her help, before she does. And it was fantastic, even if I rolled my eyes that again, the Phoenix is a part of her from birth. Which, no. She and the Phoenix merged while she was in space. I will always hate the retcon of that. 

The storyline seemed to be a mishmash of the episodes from the 90s toon of the Four Horseman story, where Warren and Rogue had gone looking for a "cure," and the one where Apocalypse was kidnapping all the great psychics, kidnapping Jean on her and Scott's wedding day. The REAL one. I think Charles had also been kidnapped, and Psylocke was in it too, I think. Bleargh. I really tried to forget what I knew of these characters.  That Scott was supposed to be in an orphanage when Charles brought him to his institute. That he and Alex were separated. That Scott, Hank, Warren, Bobby, and Jean were supposed to be Charles's first students.  I succeeded for most of the movie. But it was hard and sometimes, it didn't work.

This movie will be gone come end of this week. This was the last weekend it was playing. Just two weeks. That has got to be a new low record.

(edited)
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I didn't read any of the comics, and my knowledge of her is from the 90s cartoon and Evolution, but she was always Apocalypse's minion. Was a part of the whole Apocalypse ruling the world.

Mystique in the comics doesn't have any connection to Apocalypse.  She's still a villain, albeit one who has flirted with being good (she's had many different characterizations over the years).

And it was fantastic, even if I rolled my eyes that again, the Phoenix is a part of her from birth. Which, no. She and the Phoenix merged while she was in space. I will always hate the retcon of that. 

That's not a retcon, that's the original story.  Phoenix was just Jean's powers hitting their next level in the Claremont/Byrne run.  The "Phoenix Force", as was later adapted into the assorted animated series, was a gigantic retcon made in the mid-1980s as a way to bring Jean back without her being responsible for Dark Phoenix's crimes.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Mystique in the comics doesn't have any connection to Apocalypse.  She's still a villain, albeit one who has flirted with being good (she's had many different characterizations over the years).

That's not a retcon, that's the original story.  Phoenix was just Jean's powers hitting their next level in the Claremont/Byrne run.  The "Phoenix Force", as was later adapted into the assorted animated series, was a gigantic retcon made in the mid-1980s as a way to bring Jean back without her being responsible for Dark Phoenix's crimes.

I stand corrected. But I think I prefer the 'toon version.?

(edited)

That the third movie always sucks line is equal parts next level childish and very funny coming fron the person that made this bland rehash of a movie. I'm also tired of Singer bitching about Last Stand because he chose to leave. It's not like he was muscled out. I get hating seeing something you worked hard take such a serious detour but he had the power to make sure that didn't happen and he left to make a shifty superman movie. Get over it man. You made a whole movie almost solely to erase Last Stand from canon. We get it. It's over.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2

Last Stand and DoFP is the same level of mediocre to me. But I haven't like an X movie since X2 (Deadpool doesn't count).

Was losing Singer really where the X Universe lost it's narrative thread? Because they're trying to build this shared universe while also having multiple versions of the same characters, a continuity that still doesn't jive after a major reboot...I just don't understand what they're trying to accomplish here other than "This is cool! Right now! This is super cool!". Is there a plan?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Last Stand and DoFP is the same level of mediocre to me. But I haven't like an X movie since X2 (Deadpool doesn't count).

Was losing Singer really where the X Universe lost it's narrative thread? Because they're trying to build this shared universe while also having multiple versions of the same characters, a continuity that still doesn't jive after a major reboot...I just don't understand what they're trying to accomplish here other than "This is cool! Right now! This is super cool!". Is there a plan?

Singer wanted to erase the last Stand and everything it did from the Canon and he did. That's genuinely the only reason why DoFP did that whole plot. So, now they are slowly creeping their way back to the new present now. They want to jump to the 90s next time. Yes, it's really stupid. 

(edited)

Didn't like this one at all, probably my least favorite X-Men movie. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but I really loved DoFP, possibly the best of all the X-Men movies, and this follow-up was a huge disappointment. 

Apocalypse was a generic doomsday villain. Booring!

Magneto's (ass-pulled) family was killed in such a distilled display of fridging I could not believe my eyes. I'm guessing they wanted for the movie to feel like it was shot, or at least written, in 1983, too.

I know I'm the minority and a lot of people for no apparent reason love her, but I've always found Sophie Turner a pretty weak actress on GoT, and her turn as Jean didn't make me change my mind. Which is a huge bummer because I like Jean. 

Cyclops and Storm were okay, although Storm's arc wasn't written well at all. Actually, all of the followers of Apocalypse stuff felt jarring and gratuitous, like they were just there to showcase cool fights, they had barely any characterization aside from Magneto (thank god Fassbender still gives the role his all, or I'd drown in the character's manpain). MacAvoy was also pretty good. JLaw did look bored, I was surprised they didn't kill Mystique though, knowing she wants out. Not that it's a bad thing, I actually like her (another unpopular opinion). Didn't mind seeing Moira, even if her role really wasn't necessary - worth it just for that awesome comedic scene with Xavier in CIA. Hope the dude will get at least a bit of happiness, his life was pretty much choke-full of angst and tragedy.

Quicksilver was awesome. 

Psylocke was not. I couldn't look at that outfit without bursting into laughter, and neither could my friend who was watching with me. It looked simply ridiculous. 

Edited by FurryFury
On 6/5/2016 at 8:12 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Bad:

The rest of it. The sheer FUCKERY that Hank, Charles, the rest of the mutant kids/teens look at Mystique as some fucking hero just frosts my cookies. That SHE is part of the X-Men and is now in charge of training them. UGH. There are not enough curse words to emphasize my rage over this. And it grieves me.  I didn't read any of the comics, and my knowledge of her is from the 90s cartoon and Evolution, but she was always Apocalypse's minion. Was a part of the whole Apocalypse ruling the world. I HATE this version of Warren Worthington III and how he was made to be one of the horseman. 

On 5/26/2016 at 6:56 PM, SeanC said:

+ Mystique:  Ah, the ever-controversial character.  For those who really hate the trailer suggestion that she's team leader, etc., that isn't the case, for what it's worth.  She's an ensemble player here.  She also has a workable arc, one that actually incorporates the complaints people made about why she isn't in her blue form more.  This feels like a good resolution to the character's arc over the previous movies.  Though it will be kind of awkward if she's not in future installments.

Raven/Mystique was definitely the team leader. With all the younger characters spending half their lives looking up to her example she is the Captain America of the X-universe. The movie even ended with her playing the same scene that ended the Age of Ultron with her playing  Captain America and Hank/Beast playing Black Widow. With the decade jumps she can easily be aged out of combat as a character, it is an easier dramatic nut to crack then you have with actors nearing a soldier's retirement age taking a soldier/hero  role in a franchise they hope to run for more than a decade.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Raven/Mystique was definitely the team leader. With all the younger characters spending half their lives looking up to her example she is the Captain America of the X-universe. 

The kids looked up to her, but she was not really the team leader.  She provided some initial directions, but she was separated from most of the characters for the bulk of the finale, and then was barely conscious when Apocalypse was killed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

The kids looked up to her, but she was not really the team leader.  She provided some initial directions, but she was separated from most of the characters for  the bulk of the finale, and then was barely conscious when Apocalypse was killed.

She gave the battle order you get the Professor while I  deal with Magneto and theN provided the leadership and example which caused the four horsemen to follow her and not Apocalypse's plan

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Raja said:

She gave the battle order you get the Professor while I  deal with Magneto and theN provided the leadership and example which caused the four horsemen to follow her and not Apocalypse's plan

"Initial directions", as I said.

9 minutes ago, SeanC said:

"Inlitial directions", as I said.

That leaders are taken out early in a battle doesn't mean they were not the leader. The veteran providing the follow me example is the core of the Anglo-American officer class standard and the main reason they receive salutes from the other ranks

On 6/6/2016 at 5:12 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Bad:

Well, Archangel was always one of the Four Horsemen (actually he was leader) and his steel wings was a direct copy of his Apocalypse-given wings in thecomics (I'm just happy they skipped the blue-all-over and only gave him blue veins). So for someone like me who didn't watch the 90s cartoon, but did read the original comics, it felt pretty true to his origin.

As for Mystique as an X-Men, I don't mind at all. If the cartoons can change comic book lore, why can't the movies? Hell, comics keep on rebooting - even goodboy-Scott* has been on a genocidal bender. Also, I like Jennifer Lawrence very much, so there's that ;)

*Like with Cap, I have a thing for the good 'uns. Scott's one of my favourites and X-Men 1 through 3 made me all ragey when I think about how they messed him up.

12 hours ago, feverfew said:

As for Mystique as an X-Men, I don't mind at all. If the cartoons can change comic book lore, why can't the movies? Hell, comics keep on rebooting - even goodboy-Scott* has been on a genocidal bender. Also, I like Jennifer Lawrence very much, so there's that ;)

And it makes sense story wise.  The events of Days of Future Past caused big ripples, one of those was that Mystique wasn't captured and tortured, so she still has good in her.  Yes, she still sees there is a war on mutants, but because of Days of Future Past she's helping Charles, Hank, and the X-Men.  Nightcrawler in the films didn't come across the X-Men till X2, but since Days of Future Past happened, Mystique freed him and dropped him off at the mansion.

I like that Days of Future Past didn't just eliminate the Sentinels, it's so far had other good effects.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is the worst Xmen movie IMHO. As someone that have never read the comics, I never liked Scott and Jean. I hated, them in the first trilogy and I still hate them, I just don't get the appeal, this must be different for comics readers, but from the movie perspective, Jean is just a mutant with Professor-like powers and Scott just shots fire from his eyes, they both bore me to tears. Every time the movie cuts to them I get mad, then movie then pissed me off by killing Alex who I loved from first class just to make Scott sad, what a waste. I prefer Rogue and Iceman to Jean and Cyclops wish we got them in this movie.

Funny enough, even though Storm never had much to do from the first trilogy, I found her entertaining because she have some cool powers. when I heard that this movie would have a young storm I was excited, but its a shame that this franchise is not interested in developing their minority characters, at this point I believe Storm is added just for diversity sake. I liked the actress playing Storm, what a waste.

I just don't get why Apocalypse needed the horsemen, except for Magneto, none of them were that powerful and the xmen kicked their asses. The action scenes were so poor and uninspiring except for Quicksilver scene. I thought Apocalypse was controlling them, but they were able to turn away from him, which begs the question, why did they join him in the first place? for power? Why would Magneto even join him? thats out of character for him. Why bring back Moira? she did nothing but follow them around.

As much as I love Erik and Charles, I did not enjoy them here. I don't buy that the Erik from DOFP would settle down and have a kid, I didn't feel anything about his family dying and I didn't feel anything from Charles either. This movie just felt empty to me. At least I got some beautiful Wolverine and Quicksilver scene.

First class and Xmen2 are both tied in as best Xmen movie for me followed by days of future past. At least, I still get Erik, Charles and Raven, I really loved their dynamic from first class and days of future past. I am really shocked that comic book fans hates Mystic/Raven. She is one of my favorites from the movies. In the original trilogy, she didn't have much development but she was a kick ass character and was very enjoyable for me and in the first Class trilogy I loved what they did with her, especially her relationship with Erik and Charles. This goes to show how comic book fans and non-comic book fans can see things differently. The characters comic book fans are bored with (Wolverine, Magneto and Mystic), might be characters the general audience actually like.

I don't know, maybe I'm loosing interest in Xmen (except for Deadpool), they really need to make some dramatic changes to get people interested in this franchise again, its getting repetitive and boring.

Edited by Grace19
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2016 at 3:56 AM, Jediknight said:

And it makes sense story wise.  The events of Days of Future Past caused big ripples, one of those was that Mystique wasn't captured and tortured, so she still has good in her.  Yes, she still sees there is a war on mutants, but because of Days of Future Past she's helping Charles, Hank, and the X-Men.  Nightcrawler in the films didn't come across the X-Men till X2, but since Days of Future Past happened, Mystique freed him and dropped him off at the mansion.

I like that Days of Future Past didn't just eliminate the Sentinels, it's so far had other good effects.

I was growing very tired of X-Movie mystique by the end of Days of Future Past. And I wouldn't have shed a tear if Apocolypse had killed her during the Cairo battle in this one, if anything to move on from having Lawerence taking up so much of the movie (which I understand from a production point of view).

That said, I liked how she was acting like a spy while being out on her own. She was about reconnaissance, which fits her powers very well. She also wasn't singularly focused like she was in Days of Future Past. She had more depth.