Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

One of the films I'm most excited about seeing next year is X-Men: Apocalypse, which not only features some of the usual suspects from the first two reboots ( Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Lucas Till & Even Peters), there are newbies, such as Sophie Turner as Jean Grey, Kodi Smit-McPhee as Nightcrawler, Alexandra Shipp as Storm, Olivia Munn as Psylocke and Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse. The official trailer will be out in a few weeks and if the spoilers from Comic-Con about it are to be believed, it's intense.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Ororo is going to have her mohawk. YES.

Agreed, though I'm not sure how I feel about 

Storm being one of Apocalypse's Horsemen

Not sure if that's a genuine piece of news or just gossip, so I figured I better spoiler tag it.  Sorry if I guessed wrong!

• Love 1

Other than Angel (and then in more recent years the various Horsemen being characters that actually matter) the original Horsemen were just canon fodder. I think I can understand the concept of making Poccy's Horsemen from characters the audience is familiar with. It ups the stakes.

Plus, it kind of reminds me of the Apocalypse storyline in X-Men Evolution which did use characters that mattered a great deal. You couldn't have your heroes just taking them out because they were fighting against friends and allies. Let's be real, if Magneto winds up a Horseman then Charles is going to have a major stake in this game outside of just 'saving the world.' His husband is a Horseman! That shit is personal!!

(Don't even try to convince me that Erik and Charles aren't in love.)

• Love 1

I honestly wish they'd just reboot the entire franchise from scratch. It's just such a clusterfuck of ideas at this point.

Apocalypse looks ok I guess even though he's not 11 feet tall like he's supposed to be and I feel like I'm supposed to like Oscar Isaac even though I've seen him in exactly nothing at this point. So good for him.

How nice of Charles and Erik to not age in 20 years. The next movie will probably be set in 1995, they'll put some white powder in Fassbender's hair and call it a day.

• Love 1
(edited)
I honestly wish they'd just reboot the entire franchise from scratch. It's just such a clusterfuck of ideas at this point.

This so much!  I have no clue what is going on anymore w/the divergent timelines (are they divergent now?).  This movie will have Nightcrawler as a young student along Scott and Jean, yet in X2 he was an unknown mutant to them all...same w/Jubilee who was a student in the original trilogy.  It just seems like Bryan Singer is just throw things to see what sticks to the wall, damn the timeline and all that.  Oh we have a Raven/Mystique who was raised w/Charles and thinks of him like a brother, yet in the original trilogy they have no connection at all.

I still say adding that fucking Wolverine cameo in First Class was the dumbest thing they could have done, b/c all that did was tie FC in w/the original trilogy when this was supposed to be a reboot of the series.

I really wish Disney would just make a deal w/ FOX so they can reboot the X-Men after this movie and have them fall in line w/the MCU....throw in the Fantastic Four as well after their new movie crashes and burns this summer.  Is FOX that bitter they don't want to share and play, or are they waiting to see how the Sony deal works out first?

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1
(edited)

This so much!  I have no clue what is going on anymore w/the divergent timelines (are they divergent now?).  This movie will have Nightcrawler as a young student along Scott and Jean, yet in X2 he was an unknown mutant to them all...

DOFP completely altered the timeline, so the specific events of the original trilogy are no longer relevant (though it seems like we're meant to assume broad-strokes versions of the first two did; but seeing as we're not going into the future, that's irrelevant).  Xavier also has knowledge of the future timeline, which he's evidently used well in terms of gathering people.

The writers have indicated they're also using the timeline alteration as a carte blanche as far as characters' ages, etc. (Jubilee, Angel).  It's really not complicated, when you get down to it.  Basically a soft reboot.

I still say adding that fucking Wolverine cameo in First Class was the dumbest thing they could have done, b/c all that did was tie FC in w/the original trilogy when this was supposed to be a reboot of the series.

No, it wasn't.  It was meant to be exactly what it was, a prequel.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

I really wish Disney would just make a deal w/ FOX so they can reboot the X-Men after this movie and have them fall in line w/the MCU....throw in the Fantastic Four as well after their new movie crashes and burns this summer. Is FOX that bitter they don't want to share and play, or are they waiting to see how the Sony deal works out first?

I think Sony threw in the towel because ASM2 was ravaged by critics and rejected by audiences. Sadly DoFP made a shit ton of money so they're just gonna keep chugging along, I guess if throwing everything at the wall worked once it'll work again? It all just feels so...cheap. TV movie-ish.

I so wish the FF could be incorporated into the MCU, I wish Disney could just own all the Marvel products and make my fanboy wet dream come true. Alas.

(edited)

DOFP completely altered the timeline, so the specific events of the original trilogy are no longer relevant (though it seems like we're meant to assume broad-strokes versions of the first two did

The writers have indicated they're also using the timeline alteration as a carte blanche as far as characters' ages, etc. (Jubilee, Angel).  It's really not complicated, when you get down to it.  Basically a soft reboot.

We will have to agree to disagree b/c it seems really complicated to me, especially when others have to explain it b/c the writer can't lay it all out there for the audience.

I understand Singer basically trying to wipe away X3, that's a smart move, so we can then say that Angel from that movie never existed then, as well as Moria from that film, but the other characters that existed in both original movies, even though they were background, as well as past character histories that didn't exist then.  It's just a convoluted mess to me, and I'm a fan of the comics and their own convoluted mess.  

I wish Disney could just own all the Marvel products and make my fanboy wet dream come true. Alas.

This is what I don't get really, if Marvel really needed the FF like they said for their MCU, you would think that Disney would shell out the big bucks to buy back the rights.  I think the issue is Disney/Marvel hope that movie will bomb and they can buy back the rights cheaply, which FOX just won't allow; or they will wait FOX out so the rights revert back to save money as well, which again, FOX won't allow.  I say just freaking pay FOX for the rights back.  I could care less about the X-Men being part of the MCU to be honest.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

From Bryan Singer's yahoo interview- We'll see more of the relationship between Quicksilver and his father Magneto. I am glad to see the line in DOFP about his mom knowing a guy who could control metal is actually going to go somewhere. 

• Love 1

I saw the comic con trailer; not posting anything spoilery, but I'm not sure how I feel about Apocalypse. I really like Oscar Isaac, though, so I hope my opinion will change. 

Storm looks amazing, btw. Sure hope that lady can act! 

I really wish Disney would just make a deal w/ FOX so they can reboot the X-Men after this movie and have them fall in line w/the MCU....throw in the Fantastic Four as well after their new movie crashes and burns this summer.  Is FOX that bitter they don't want to share and play, or are they waiting to see how the Sony deal works out first?

I see you're not familiar with the Complex.  ;-)  A lot of us believe the exact opposite -- that Marvel (or, possibly more accurately, Disney) is deliberately trying to push out the X-Men because they are bitter that the X movies are making money and they're not getting a cut.  So they're pulling merchandise licenses.  They're not making X-Men cartoons.  X characters are getting shuffled around to other comics 

Kitty Pryde is the new leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy? What?

while theirs are being canceled.

TPTB are vehemently denying it, of course.  Meanwhile, as long as Fox is making money, why should they give up the rights they paid good money for?

• Love 2
(edited)

Marvel, or I should say Disney, is definitely trying to downplay the X-Men.  One of the Marvel editors pretty much admitted this.  It's annoying as all hell and again makes me wish they'd keep their comic and MCU seperate.  People who enjoy the movies aren't going to start reading the comics.  I've had enough of them trying to change stuff in the comics to link up to the films.  I think both sides are to blame and are acting like children.  But as I always say, if you didn't want to lose the rights to X-Men, you shouldn't have gotten yourself bankrupt, Marvel.

For Disney to get the X-Men rights back, they'd probably have to pay more for it than they did to buy Star Wars from George Lucas.  That's a LOT of money, even for Disney.  Fox isn't going to give it up while it's still profitable (and getting more profitable every day).

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Exactly.  Fox bought the rights fair and square and they have actually done something with them and invested in their purchase.  It also is a question of having a franchise.  Every studio needs a franchise that will continually help bring in cash flow, and X-Men has definitely done that and will continue to do that.  Fox has no reason to get rid of it, even for a huge payday. 

• Love 1

In the meantime, they'll continue to force X-Men into the second tier comics while raiding and pillaging the characters creators like for other books.

Rogue in Uncanny Avengers? Kitty with the Guardians? 

Okay, I have to admit, I've enjoyed all of that. Kitty's Peter fetish focusing on Quill and going cosmic with the Black Vortex (although 'Space is not my jam' still doesn't sound remotely like something Kitty would say) were stories I liked... because I love me some Kitty Pryde.

But still!!

I love those characters so much and I listen to the X-Plaining the X-Men podcast religiously and it grieves me that Marvel's CEO is of the opinion that they shouldn't be writing stories that Fox can pillage for their own gain. But... doesn't DIsney own the rights in some areas at least? Can't they put out merchandise for their own pockets? Not movie merch but unrelated to movie merch? Disney owns the X-Men in SOME way, don't they?

• Love 1
(edited)

I love those characters so much and I listen to the X-Plaining the X-Men podcast religiously and it grieves me that Marvel's CEO is of the opinion that they shouldn't be writing stories that Fox can pillage for their own gain. But... doesn't DIsney own the rights in some areas at least? Can't they put out merchandise for their own pockets? Not movie merch but unrelated to movie merch? Disney owns the X-Men in SOME way, don't they?

They do.  They own the rights to any merchandise not affiliated with the movies.  So a figurine in Hugh Jackman's likeness?  That's a big no no.  But an Old Man Logan or X23 action figure?  Absolutely.  Any character not in a movie?  Yep, all clear.

They also could make an X-Men cartoon in the same fashion.  It's why Wolverine was in the Super Hero Squad cartoon.  They can make anything they like, as long as it's not related to the movies.  They wouldn't have to share any of the revenue with Fox, either, so the comments (Was it Breevort?) about not making merch because they don't get 100% profit from it is ludicrous.

The Fox movies aren't perfect, but I don't mind that.  I'm not a purist, so the tweaks don't bother me.  If the new movies mean we can get a new, decent story for Rogue, I'd be over the moon!

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

How nice of Erik and Charles to not age in 20 years. The next movie will probably be set in 1995, they'll put some white powder in Fassbender's hair and call it a day.

According to Beast in X-Men: First Class, mutants age much slower than humans, so if a film is set 20 years later, the characters will look only 10 years older.

(Don't even try and convince me that Erik and Charles aren't in love).

They can't convince me, either,

girl cooties be damned

• Love 2

I don't expect the movies to be 100% accurate or anything like that and I'm at the point where I'm fairly certain there will never be a truly good representation of the entire Phoenix Saga in any other media save the comics. I mean, I feel you can't tell it without really telling the love story of Jean and Scott and too many people want to throw in Wolverine and make it a triangle (ugh!) and limit Jean as a character because Wolverine's cool! and Scott's uptight! and Jean's a girl! It's a story that focuses on JEAN -- if they did decide to do it justice you've have to see her going through the flashbacks that Emma Frost and Jason Wyngarde put in her head and struggle with the darkness that was growing, and then struggle once she realized what had been done to her and that it was too late. It could be amazing work for an actor to play that out but they'll never do it and that's a shame.

There are other tropes to play with than just "Logan's the coolest!' How about 'Everyone becomes obsessed with Storm!' Claremont ran that one into the fucking GROUND. It doesn't matter who you are or what alien world you come from, Ororo must be your queen! And she's weirdly agreeable for most of those. Dracula? Sure! Doom? Hmm. Arkon? Sure! T'challa? Sure! If you've got a crown, Ororo is totally willing to wear it!

Rogue's whole storyline growing up with Mystique and Destiny and being trained as a full on terrorist? I really did hate Anna Paquin's Rogue. No fire, no sass, no ability to punch through walls... ugh. Dreary.

A lot of the problem stems from having so much to work with and wanting to focus on very specific 'current' characters OR the long running characters that don't necessarily fit into specific storylines. Also, I'll ring this bell for as long as I can, there are more characters than Wolverine, Magneto and Mystique!

• Love 1

There are other tropes to play with than just "Logan's the coolest!' How about 'Everyone becomes obsessed with Storm!' Claremont ran that one into the fucking GROUND. It doesn't matter who you are or what alien world you come from, Ororo must be your queen! And she's weirdly agreeable for most of those. Dracula? Sure! Doom? Hmm. Arkon? Sure! T'challa? Sure! If you've got a crown, Ororo is totally willing to wear it!

Don't forget that time Loki was all enamored of her and set her up as a replacement for Thor.

I'm not happy with what Disney is doing with the X-Men either.  Leave the comic books alone!

Not just X-Force but I'm really looking forward to New Mutants too.

Look, I wish the Marvel characters were under one umbrella just for crossover sake and because it would mean the X-Men wouldn't be downgraded.  But it is what it is.  I'm glad though that Spider-Man and Wolverine weren't under the Disney umbrella when the first Avengers movie was made.  Because that movie would have been all about Spider-Man and Wolverine and despite what Marvel might like you to think, they are NOT true Avengers.  I do hope one day that Disney and Fox realize there is even more money to be made by working together with their properties.  But I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

Look, I wish the Marvel characters were under one umbrella just for crossover sake and because it would mean the X-Men wouldn't be downgraded.  But it is what it is.  I'm glad though that Spider-Man and Wolverine weren't under the Disney umbrella when the first Avengers movie was made.  Because that movie would have been all about Spider-Man and Wolverine and despite what Marvel might like you to think, they are NOT true Avengers.  I do hope one day that Disney and Fox realize there is even more money to be made by working together with their properties.  But I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

I totally understand that perspective, but I get the impression that Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it, too.  Meaning, they want X characters in their movies, but they don't want their characters in Fox's X-Men movies.

I could be totally off-base with that, though.

I totally understand that perspective, but I get the impression that Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it, too.  Meaning, they want X characters in their movies, but they don't want their characters in Fox's X-Men movies.

I could be totally off-base with that, though.

Due to Fox they cannot use the term mutants for example. That plus a lot of other stuff makes Marvel/Disney not happy with Fox. 

Marvel signed the contract.  They have to deal with the consequences.

If I sell my house because I can no longer afford it, the new owner is under no obligation to sell it back to me if I suddenly win the lottery.

Amen.  I like Marvel, but the idea that Fox needs to relent to them just because they are back on top is just sour grapes.  I would venture to say that it is Marvel who wouldn't offer a "fair" deal to Fox since Marvel is in their heyday now and probably thinks they have more of the power. 

It would be nice for the studios to come to a deal but honestly I really don't care.  I also don't know how X-Men would be changed to fit into the "Marvel machine".  Marvel is very particular about how their movies are structured and they all need to fit into a master plan. 

• Love 3

According to Beast in X-Men: First Class, mutants age much slower than humans, so if a film is set 20 years later, the characters will look only 10 years older.

I don't think he meant every mutant. He was talking about Mystique, she ages slower than humans. 

• Love 2

I don't think he meant every mutant. He was talking about Mystique, she ages slower than humans. 

Some mutants age slower or not at all. Other mutants can age very fast due to their mutation. One in particular in the comics died as an infant due to rapid aging.

As for Apocs voice. It doesn't do for anything for me. Maybe its just the trailer voice or it has to grow. Still love the old 90s cartoon apoc voice. 

here are a few good quotes. At least the movie has the look so I don't hate what they have done.

"Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply AM!" Should be in the movie or another of his great quotes.

So when Marvel sold the rights to the X-Universe to Fox way back when, was it just the characters or was it all storylines past, present, and future? If it includes the access to all the storylines, I could see Disney saying no-more and thereby breaking up the X-Universe characters into other brands. If not, then I could see Disney being very critical by vetoing any storyline that is derivative of a storyline, like now FOX wouldn't be able to do the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga storyline as it played out in the comics.

(edited)

I think Fox has access to any story that has the "X-Men" name on it.  Even if Marvel canceled every X book, though, I don't think there's anything stopping Fox from creating their own stories with the characters.  I know one writer said that they were told not to create any new characters, to stop giving Fox material.

ETA

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-comics-panel-58-chris-claremont/-- a Nerdist podcast with Chris Claremont.  Relevant bit:

“I have to say quite honestly as I understand it now the X department is forbidden to create new characters.... Well… who owns them? All because all new characters become the film property of Fox."

“There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?”

Around the 42 minute mark.

Edited by Demented Daisy

I think Fox has access to any story that has the "X-Men" name on it.  Even if Marvel canceled every X book, though, I don't think there's anything stopping Fox from creating their own stories with the characters.  I know one writer said that they were told not to create any new characters, to stop giving Fox material.

ETA

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-comics-panel-58-chris-claremont/-- a Nerdist podcast with Chris Claremont.  Relevant bit:

Around the 42 minute mark.

But that's wrong. There have been a bunch of new X-characters created in the last few years.

Well, that interview was in September of 2014.  Maybe, after he let that piece of info slip, Marvel PTB changed their minds?  I don't read all the books -- any new characters since late last year?

Regardless, according to Claremont, all characters are property of Fox.

I so wish the FF could be incorporated into the MCU, I wish Disney could just own all the Marvel products and make my fanboy wet dream come true. Alas.

FF is supposed to be the cornerstone of the MCU moreso even than Spidey.  The classic order of precedence always seemed to me to be:  

FF, Spider-Man, The Avengers, maybe since the 70s The Hulk, Captain America (as a solo operator), Iron Man (as a solo operator)... and then all the rest.  Now the movie properties and licensing have vaulted Iron Man to the top (understandably), then Cap, but the rest is kind of all up in the air.

The thing is, in the 90s the X-Men got vaulted up past all those titles in prominence by the sales figures, particularly Mutant Fonzie/Wolverine. Spider-Man and the Hulk were probably the characters the non-comics-reading public was familiar with thanks to their old TV shows and the merchandising that rose from them, but on the printed page it seemed like there was a new X-Men book being started every other month and every crossover had to feature them.

X-Men was the dominant comic for Marvel for about two-plus decades.  It was a long run until TPTB started emphasizing the Avengers around 2005.

I don't know how true that is that everything created for the X-Men automatically goes to Fox.  Though a character like Darwin, who appeared in X-Men First Class, was only created about 10 or so years ago.  I would think Abigail Brand would be the ultimate test of that theory.  She was created by Joss Whedon when he was writing Astonishing X-Men.  If Fox owns every character created for the X-Men Universe, then we should never see Abigail Brand of SWORD in the MCU.  Though I think Agents of Shield might have made an offhand reference or two to SWORD.

I thought I read somewhere that they did but I can't be sure.  I know in the second episode of the show, they shot something up into space.

But if every X-related character belongs to Fox, then they should own Abigail Brand and SWORD.

Rogue's whole storyline growing up with Mystique and Destiny and being trained as a full on terrorist? I really did hate Anna Paquin's Rogue. No fire, no sass, no ability to punch through walls... ugh. Dreary.

I won't say she was the worst... but she's close. Ugh. 

As for Apocs voice. It doesn't do for anything for me. Maybe its just the trailer voice or it has to grow. Still love the old 90s cartoon apoc voice. 

His voice was very off-putting in the trailer because of that. I'm sure anyone who hasn't seen that old cartoon won't feel that way, but it seemed so very wrong. I'm holding out hope that they alter the sound of it in post production. I just need him to sound more intimidating and less like he's trying to sex me up. 

I thought I read somewhere that they did but I can't be sure. I know in the second episode of the show, they shot something up into space.

But if every X-related character belongs to Fox, then they should own Abigail Brand and SWORD.

I think it was fan speculation when The Real SHIELD emerged after the events of The Winter Soldier during Agents of SHIELD's second season. That with a Brit, Hunter getting spinoff talk and their alien/Inhuman focus.
(edited)

You say Apocalypse.

CKDJGq1WgAA9WBM.jpg

I say Ivan Ooze.

mighty-morphin-power-rangers-the-movie.j

Psylocke and Storm look great though! 

ETA: Well, they look not terrible. Not crazy about Ororo's sparkly cape or Betsy's boob window.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 5

Apocalypse looks ridiculous.  But I love the "belt."  I wonder if there's a big letter A on it. 

I can't stand Olivia Munn.  She should have stayed in obscurity.  Now, she's back to posture how hot she is.  And Psylocke's costume is ridiculous. 

With Jean Grey, there's really no need for another telepath. 

I liked DOFP, but I'm not looking forward to Apocalypse if the movie is premised around Mystique, who is a supporting character at best. 

One of the most ridiculous memes around this movie.  He doesn't look any more like him than Ronan the Accuser did.

I didn't even know that was a meme! It was my honest to Zordon Power Rangers loving reaction. And I stand by it!

I didn't even know that was a meme! It was my honest to Zordon Power Rangers loving reaction. And I stand by it!

I actually just had a twenty minute conversation with my roommate about how he looks like Ivan Ooze. I didn't know it was a meme either.

• Love 1

I thought I had posted this in this thread, but did so in the regular X-Men movie thread but anyways...

Is it bad that I really think that Apocalypse should be...I don't know...taller?  The fact that Storm looks taller then him just doesn't look right to me.

I agree, Psylocke's costume translated better than one would have thought, but it still looks like a cosplay costume.

I agree, Psylocke's costume translated better than one would have thought, but it still looks like a cosplay costume.

It looks really good on the cover.  The other image is a BTS still, so the lighting, etc., is different than it will look on film.

I'm surprised they opted to go for that costume, though.  The series has eschewed the more impractical superhero costumes to date, no matter how iconic.