Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Is it bad that I really think that Apocalypse should be...I don't know...taller?

I think I read they show off his size changing ability. Cartoons and comics he often starts off more human sized then gets bigger when he fights. Also they are going to use CGI on him. So he is going to look different to an extent in the movie. 

Edited by nobodyyoucare

I recall from the comics and movies that he always seemed to be at least, I would say 7ft tall if not taller pre-fighting.  I know that Storm is supposed to be a tall woman which is part of what made her so striking...tall, white hair, blue eyes, supermodel looks.

I was pretty optimistic until that pic surfaced.  Not a fan of Psylocke and that costume.  I was really hoping they'd go with her more recent look as that looks awful.  Pocy doesn't look that good either.  I hope they're planning on CGI'ing him to look bigger in the film because right now he's not menacing at all.

Did no one working on this film have kids they took to see the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie?

They don't look at all alike, apart from, what, skin colour?  And that's hardly unusual in these movies.

Edited by SeanC

Yikes. I was worried when I heard Psylocke would be in this but I didn't think they'd use her 90s costume. None of them translate particularly well to live action. but 90s Psylocke is the worst.

I would have preferred this one:

psylocke-vol-4.png

Lighting often makes blue purple. Plus they were going to do certain cgi to his apperance anyway. Often trailers, promo shots are done without cgi effects being added with the result idiots scream it looks bad. Then when the updated stuff comes out that shows what the character looks in the film with all the effects you have the same idiots proclaiming that they were responsible for the to them new look. 

• Love 1

The first trailer is going to be attached to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  Apparently there's also going to be a trailer for the next Captain America film attached to that movie, so it will be a big day for superhero fans (and Marvel vs. FOX debates).

• Love 1

I'd seen the leak of the SDCC footage previously, which had the same basic structure as this trailer, so it didn't have quite the same impact it might otherwise have. That said, the new action/VFX looks great, and it's obviously a huge improvement in visual/audio quality.

I'm still not over how happy I am that Sophie was cast as Jean Grey (incidentally, her accent here sounds fine, which I was wondering about since the previous time she did one, in Barely Lethal, it was a bit weird).

I'm glad that Moira is back. And Havok, who is so, so doomed.

I knew that the purple look was due to fires/lights on his blue skin and outfit. I expect to see dummies state that they changed the purple to blue rather then admit that blue under light can turn purple. 

Happy they showed off he could change his size in the trailer.

Outfit looks good. Comic outfit wouldn't translate well so this one they did is acceptable.

Not sold on the voice (needs more depth/inhumaness like the old 90s cartoon but I can live with it. 

I like a lot in this trailer but, man, I am so ready to be done with Mystique.

Its amazing how many of those commenting on the trailer on various netsites are unaware that Jennifer Lawrence had been in the prior X-men film and was in films long before Hunger Games.

Its amazing how many of those commenting on the trailer on various netsites are unaware that Jennifer Lawrence had been in the prior X-men film and was in films long before Hunger Games.

I wouldn't say she was in anything long before HG. Her career was about 4 years old before HG. Edited by raezen

I may be in a minority, but I really don't liked the trailer.

The effects were sub-par (especially the Quicksilver one, so great in the previous film, now a tv show from the '90? really?)

I'm too fed up with Mytique being front and centre - she's a secondary character in the comics, but due to the actress' stardom, the films elevated the character to a leading postion, which does not work. Mystique shouldn't be running around the film universe with "Oh, Charles!" "Oh, Eric!" "Oh, Charles!" and an occassional "Oh, Hank!". Mytique is a tough villainess, mother of Nighcrawler, foster mother to Rogue. Not this wishy-washy... Teenage sensation.

Sansa Stark... Jean Grey. Again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who dislikes Sophie Turner's acting and am not thrilled for her interpretation of this character. Cyclops looks twelve if not younger.

I need to stop being so bitter. Perhaps the movie just needs a better trailer?

Edited by Ariah

Mystique really dominated the films even when Rebecca Romjin played her in the first three movies. I think it was a combination of her striking visual plus her powers can be incorporated in the plot a lot more easily.

Mystique dominated the first three movies too? You mean including the second movie where she barely does anything and part 3 where she gets her powers taken away 25% of the way through? She didn't even dominate the first one. She was just the most active fighter for the villain side. As opposed to now where they insist on putting her front and center because of Lawrence.

• Love 2

Apocalypse from the 1990s X-Men cartoon sounded a million times better than this clown.

This movie looks terrible. Last Stand-level terrible.

The more I see of Sophie Turner's work, the less convinced I am that she can act.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3

My verdict: I liked it. Based on the trailer, Apocalypse is a better villain than Ultron, which IMO, isn't that hard.

Re Jennifer Lawrence's newest version of "Katique," all that was missing was a bow & arrow, Gale & Peeta.

About Moira's return, whatever.

This movie looks terrible. Last Stand-level terrible.

I've seen much worse, aka Catwoman & the Fantastic Four reboot.

• Love 1
Mystique dominated the first three movies too? You mean including the second movie where she barely does anything and part 3 where she gets her powers taken away 25% of the way through? She didn't even dominate the first one. She was just the most active fighter for the villain side. As opposed to now where they insist on putting her front and center because of Lawrence.

Dominated is probably the wrong word. I think she was the strongest female character compared to Jean, Storm and Rogue. She was the strongest villain fighter but she was never that in the comics. In the movie though she went toe to toe with Wolverine which is impressive.  Also she does do a lot in the second X-Men, including freeing Magneto by injecting that guard with iron in his blood. She also has that scene with Wolverine in the tent where she tried to seduce him by  becoming Jean, Storm and then (squickily)Rogue. X-Men First Class her role was already written as central before Lawrence was cast and then she was just known for Winter's Bone and not cast in Hunger Games or won an Oscar.

Sansa Stark... Jean Grey. Again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who dislikes Sophie Turner's acting and am not thrilled for her interpretation of this character. Cyclops looks twelve if not younger.

Oh I've been around the internet yours is definitely not a minority opinion. However the times when Sophie as Sansa has shown strength she's great but unfortunately those moments are few which is actually different to how her arc happens in the books. Sansa's supposed to be getting stronger, learning to play the game, but on the show she's still being victimized.

Edited by VCRTracking

I agree that the trailer is okay but underwhelming. The trailers for DOFP were much better.

I don't think it looks as bad as The Last Stand, but I kind of get where Eyes High is coming from. This trailer makes Apocalypse look "generic action movie" in the same way that The Last Stand came off as more generic. It's not about mutants struggling against oppression--it's about a threat to the world that a bunch of superpowered people have to save. The best X-movies (X2 and DOFP) have been the most thoughtful about what it means to be a mutant and exploring the issues mutants face. This movie doesn't look to do much of that.

Apocalypse's voice is fine when he's speaking softly and trying to entice and/or threaten them, but when he's yelling, yeah, it's not great.

I may be in a minority, but I really don't liked the trailer.

I didn't like the trailer either. I found nothing exciting about it, and the way they introduced Apocalypse just reminded me how silly comic books can be. Some of the lines were just cringe-worthy, but maybe it will all play better in context (I doubt it).

The effects were sub-par (especially the Quicksilver one, so great in the previous film, now a tv show from the '90? really?)

Obviously you don't remember the complaints about the effects of DOFP quicksilver in the trailers. When people saw the film however that the scene they had been dissing in the trailer was amazing. 

This is also the first trailer. Huge difference in quality as trailers come out with often the first being bad. Also bad trailer doesn't mean bad movie just means a shitty editor for the trailer. 

My verdict: I liked it. Based on the trailer, Apocalypse is a better villain than Ultron, which IMO, isn't that hard.

Re Jennifer Lawrence's newest version of "Katique," all that was missing was a bow & arrow, Gale & Peeta.

About Moira's return, whatever.

I've seen much worse, aka Catwoman & the Fantastic Four reboot.

I still don't get the extreme dislike people seem to have for Ultron but people were pumped for Ultron based on the trailer too if you don't remember. Doesn't mean anything.

I think the effects for the trailer were good enough even the Quicksilver part. After what Bryan said about the new Quicksilver sequence in the movie I am sure it will all come together.

“There’s one sequence that took one and a half months to shoot for three minutes of film. It involves the most complex camera moves, very sophisticated explosive algorithms, 3D Phantom cameras travelling at 50mph while shooting at 3,100 frames per second. Evan Peters worked more days on this movie than any other actor because of this one sequence

Edited by ShadowHunter

Ok, if the effects are going to be fine in the movie, but are not ready yet - don't put the unfinished scene in the trailer, simple as that.

Right now, from the looks of it, the effects look like from a regular network tv show.

(Oh, and I liked Ultron enough. Not as a story, but visually, most of the time. Didn't watch in 3d, though)

Funny enough when I saw x men first class I didn't know Jennifer Lawrence. Also I think she had been signed on to a multi movie deal for x-men from the first movie and this was before the hunger games came out. When I saw Hunger Games I didn't even realize it was the same actress as Jennifer Lawrence still wasn't on my radar. However now years later when I see Jennifer I see Katniss, I can honestly say it's difficult for me to separate her from that character.

Edited by bluvelvet

It's a legitimate criticism on Singer that he hasn't done a very good job with all the great X-women that are in the X-Men.  How Kitty Pryde's character hasn't been better utilized is beyond me.  He dropped the ball on Rogue a long time ago.  Storm is one of the best characters in Marvel Comics period and is not a strong enough presence in the movies.  Even Movie Mystique is very little like her comic counterpart.

• Love 2

It's a legitimate criticism on Singer that he hasn't done a very good job with all the great X-women that are in the X-Men.  How Kitty Pryde's character hasn't been better utilized is beyond me.  He dropped the ball on Rogue a long time ago.  Storm is one of the best characters in Marvel Comics period and is not a strong enough presence in the movies.  Even Movie Mystique is very little like her comic counterpart.

And I'll just point out that he has dropped the ball on characters across the board. It's not a gender thing. Who has been used well in these movies besides Prof. X, Magneto, Wolverine (three people who will get their shine no matter what based on the material), to some extent Jean Grey and Mystique? Cyclops, Angel, Storm, Colossus, Kitty Pride, Iceman, Rogue, Bishop, Beast, Blink, etc. etc. all misused in one way or another. Not enough screentime. Watered down characters. They have never taken full advantage of the X Men. Say what you want about the Avengers but I understand those characters and what makes them tick. They all have their moment to shine without it feeling shoehorned in. Even if you ignore the standalones, you could go into Avengers/Avengers 2 understanding the characters, their motivations and seeing why they are important or useful to the team. Yes, X Men has more people to use but outside of maybe first class, they always get short changed. Sorry, I just don't like turning things into a gender issue while ignoring the bigger issues.

• Love 6

I would hesitate to say that Jean got used well in the movies. She was Wolverine's obsession, that's pretty much it. Scott and Jean's entire relationship was pretty much one of Logan's 'obstacles' that he just had to deal with. Her heroic sacrifice at the end of X-2 was more about Logan's man tears than anything else. So was her entire existence in Last Stand. I don't think Jean got anything that was specifically about her anymore than most of the other characters that weren't Logan, Charles or Erik.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 4

I would hesitate to say that Jean got used well in the movies. She was Wolverine's obsession, that's pretty much it. Scott and Jean's entire relationship was pretty much one of Logan's 'obstacles' that he just had to deal with. Her heroic sacrifice at the end of X-2 was more about Logan's man tears than anything else. So was her entire existence in Last Stand. I don't think Jean got anything that was specifically about her anymore than most of the other characters that weren't Logan, Charles or Erik.[/qpower

Which is why I said, to some extent. But her growing powers, the leadership role she had to take part in during X2, seeing her struggling with her powers at a young age and the focus of what was supposed to cap off of trilogy is more than most got. Which brings it back to some extent. She was never JUST anything. She wasn't just Cyclops woman or Logans obsession. And if you want to just look at it that way, in the original trilogy, Cyclops is just her man and barely the leader. Logan is just infatuated with Jean or trying to filling out the gaps in his past. That's a simplistic way at looking at them but you could say it. But she did have an arc. In x1, she was still coming into own with her powers, part 2 she's reaching the height of her powers and in three they overtake her. That has nothing to do with either guy. Rogue and her whole arc seems to be surrounded by whether or not she can date with her power.

Edited by Racj82

Somebody wake me, when Bryan Singer is gone and Matthew Vaughn returns.

Singer's fingerprints were all over First Class. I'm ready for a complete reboot. The only tragedy is that I really favor Fassbender and McAvoy. Hugh Jackman as well, but I'm so over Wolverine. Time for a fresh start.

• Love 4

I know the character of Apocolypse has been around for a long time (same as his backstory), but the movie presented in the trailer just reminded me too much of Blade: Trinity. Also, I'm finding it harder to get jazzed for any more X-Men films since the continuity is so loose. Don't get me wrong, I like period pieces and I like time travel, I just believe this series is using both in very lazy ways.

Yes, I'll watch it on video. Duh.