Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

James MacAvoy will get me in the theater, but that's despite everything else I saw in the trailer, not because of it.

Does James McAvoy make out with anyone in this movie? Because that's the only way his participation would get me to go see it. (Best screen kisser or BEST screen kisser?)

Don't get me wrong: I love Oscar Isaac and I'm hoping this movie raises his profile. I just can't see him as Apocalypse. If he wants to convince that this casting wasn't a horrible mistake, well, he's got his work cut out for him.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

This trailer did not convince me this movie is worth watching (at all). Granted I read X-Men comics and read Age of Apocalypse when it first came out so I'm probably being overly critical but it's just not working for me. I'm also NOT a fan of X-Men'so Quicksilver, I thought his scenes in DoFP were laughably bad.

As with the last 3 movies, I'll wait until it comes to cable.

There's been an insane barrage of set visit articles/interviews in the last day or so, with quite a lot of tidbits about the film:

Yahoo Movies

Digital Spy

IGN

Collider

JoBlo.com

Superhero Hype

Slashfilm

There's a description of a sequence in the Slashfilm piece that sounds hilarious:

Are we going to see Jean and Scott as still discovering their powers?

Oh yeah, they’re a mess. We came up with a scene the other day that was really funny, I don’t know if I should give it away, but I was just on the set. They’re in a battle scene and Scott keeps taking off his glasses but he can’t see what he’s trying to hit because he doesn’t have a visor, he doesn’t have any technology. So finally I was like “Okay, okay, wait, wait.” So Jean just grabs the back of his head and starts moving him around. She’s trying to hit the enemy, I don’t want to say who the enemy is, she’s just trying to use them as target practice. So suddenly we did that and we started playing with that and having fun with it and then we were like “Oh shit, we have to service that and film the other side of it. It’s a scene now! We’re running out of time!”

They’re kids! They don’t know what to do! She’s trying to figure out her psychic powers, which are much more powerful than she realizes. There’s some heartbreak, beautiful and climactic, again I don’t want to give anything away. But that was one beat that on the day I’m watching him do this and I’m like “You can’t see shit, you don’t even know what you’re hitting,” so I said “Grab his head, use them for target practice.” It’s so cute and it brings them together. There are many scenes that bring them together but that’s one that was like the video game version. You get Sophie Turner grabbing Tye Sheridan and using him as a point and shoot.

Psylocke looks great.  The action, in general, is clearly in a league beyond anything previously done in this series, and we haven't even really seen much of the characters fighting yet.

Edited by SeanC

Psylocke is a great character. I've actually really loved so many different incarnations of her. From the purple haired British girl with the flouncy pink outfit, to the hardcore warrior in armor and cloak, to the suddenly Japanese martial artist with the psychic knife that was the 'sum totality of my psychic powers.' (Whatever that actually means.)

I don't remember Betsy's psychic katana able to cut through cars but, okay, sure. Why not?

And I'm so tired of Mystique in Singer's X-movies that I am more than ready for Apocalypse to snap her neck so we can be done with her for awhile. Bye, Felicia!!

• Love 1

I love the trailers for this because they are like "You know who's in this movie? Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely in this movie. You like Jennifer Lawrence? Well, let me tell you...she's in this movie."

I don't have to much to say about that preview other than I like the music. 

• Love 1

I don't remember Betsy's psychic katana able to cut through cars but, okay, sure. Why not?

People somehow forget it isn't just mind but also works on the molecular level due to telekinesis. MTA1u.jpg

She also do other weapons besides the katana. She can do a bow and other weapons that actually have weight such as a 90 pound spiked flail. . 

People somehow forget it isn't just mind but also works on the molecular level due to telekinesis. 

She's had two different psychic swords; the "psi-blade", which was purely telepathic ("the focused totality blah blah blah") and, once she developed telekinetic powers, the psychic katana, which was a physical weapon.

That'd be a bit of an oddity, since it was originally a separate property but for a good long time it was treated as basically an informal part of the X-Office, due to Psylocke and later Excalibur.

I keep forgetting Psylocke has telekinetic powers. That was something that came about during Claremont's Revolution period and then disappeared so quickly. Psylocke never had TK before so I tend to default towards what I always knew her as. A hardcore telepath who had a psychic knife that short circuited people's brains for a bit.

I've never seen a bad Oscar Isaac performance so I think he's going to do a great job.

While I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, his character in Ex Machina was so insufferable I could only stand to watch 10 minutes. It's not impossible that Apocalypse could be written in such a way that his rather plentiful talent is directed toward pushing all my Do Not Want buttons.

While I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, his character in Ex Machina was so insufferable I could only stand to watch 10 minutes. It's not impossible that Apocalypse could be written in such a way that his rather plentiful talent is directed toward pushing all my Do Not Want buttons.

I wouldn't blame Oscar Isaac for that. That character was despicable (not just insufferable ) and that might be an issue with writing /characterization.

I love the trailers for this because they are like "You know who's in this movie? Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely in this movie. You like Jennifer Lawrence? Well, let me tell you...she's in this movie."

I don't have to much to say about that preview other than I like the music. 

To be fair, its going to be the only thing that gets me to watch.

I love the X-Men but I just don't care.

I'm just not feeling superhero movies this year. BVS pisses me off, Civil War breaks my heart but X-Men got me like "eh, whatever" ~Kanye shrug~

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever been to the movie theaters to see a X-Men movie.

I think it looks awesome. I'm pumped! Also, I noticed that they are wearing black/silver costumes in most parts, but then Mystique seems to have a blue suit (over her blue body...) and Jean has a greenish looking one! I'm wondering if there are two big battles?

Oh my, I hope we finally get to kill off Mystique. She was an important X-men character, but not anywhere deserving of all the screen time she's received. It's too bad they fumbled Emma Frost so poorly in First Class, she would add a nice mix to fill that Sometimes friend, sometimes foe.

I'm also not entirely sure how I'm going to feel about seeing Magneto in a "follower" role under Apocalypse. I'm sure he breaks through at some point, but nothing about his characterization in the movies makes me think he would be a follower. Though they manage to make it work in X-Men: Evolution.

• Love 3

Yeah, less would have been more, maybe some Egyptian-style kohl makeup and archaic armor rather than turning him into Ivan Ooze.

He is wearing armor with Egyptian stylings. He looks better then the cartoon versions and comic book versions which make him look like a muscle bodybuilder instead of an Egyptian god. 

X-Men: Apocalypse looks... well, I'm feeling kind, so I'll say mediocre. However, I will most likely see this, because

1. I'm too much of a Fassy/McAvoy fan not to.

And,

2. I have no principles.

One thing that amuses me greatly in the trailer (besides how Apocolypse looks) is how Moira hasn't aged a day since First Class. Now, I can shrug off how young Charles and Erik look; who knows, maybe in this incarnation of X-Men, one of the perks of being a mutant is aging slower than Naomi Watts. But Moira is human, and all she has to show for it in the 20 years since First Class are blonde highlights! I mean, come on, no extra pounds, no lines or wrinkles, no glasses?

Are we certain Moira isn't a mutant as well?

• Love 1

It's really frustrating because I really really love the X-Men but the movie versions of them are seriously, seriously lacking in a lot of places.

I don't take issue with Xavier or Magneto. They've gotten those lynchpin characters right in both incarnations. Jackman's Wolverine was great but, as they did in the comics, they came to rely on him waaaaaay too much.

Everyone else has been very hit and miss and I've already been pretty vocal about how they've completely mucked up Mystique and how I roll my eyes whenever I see her being heroic because that's not Mystique dammit!! And I understand that it's hard as hell to do the stories because Claremont, who wrote most of the memorable ones, was a major long-planner and so serialized storytelling the way he did it is not easy to bring over into a movie setting. I also appreciate that it was the X-Men movie that proved you could do other super heroes and not just another bunch of Batman movies.

But man... it's hard in a lot of places because they have given their female characters a real short shrift (except for Mystique who they've changed so much she may as well be a completely different character) when the X-Universe has some of the absolute BEST.

I'm torn between worlds.

• Love 6
And I understand that it's hard as hell to do the stories because Claremont, who wrote most of the memorable ones, was a major long-planner and so serialized storytelling the way he did it is not easy to bring over into a movie setting. I also appreciate that it was the X-Men movie that proved you could do other super heroes and not just another bunch of Batman movies.

This is where they could take a page from the MCU. I feel like as movie franchises go, the MCU's serialized long-range planning has been decent enough. What the X-movie people really need to do is a) get away from Singer, his vision of the team has gotten super stale and b) do what Marvel did and if they really want a franchise, sit down and create a 10-year plan that develops people other than Magneto, Professor X, and Wolverine. Preferably one that includes doing right by the X-women.

• Love 4

X-Men: Apocalypse looks... well, I'm feeling kind, so I'll say mediocre. However, I will most likely see this, because

1. I'm too much of a Fassy/McAvoy fan not to.

And,

2. I have no principles.

One thing that amuses me greatly in the trailer (besides how Apocolypse looks) is how Moira hasn't aged a day since First Class. Now, I can shrug off how young Charles and Erik look; who knows, maybe in this incarnation of X-Men, one of the perks of being a mutant is aging slower than Naomi Watts. But Moira is human, and all she has to show for it in the 20 years since First Class are blonde highlights! I mean, come on, no extra pounds, no lines or wrinkles, no glasses?

Are we certain Moira isn't a mutant as well?

She's wearing what looks to be the same X-Men uniform as the rest of the team in the new Empire covers, which is weird. http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w1000-h1296-q90-c1000:1296/wp-content/uploads/X-Men-Apocalypse-Empire-Magazine-Covers.jpg

When they lost Singer for X-Men 3, it really screwed up a lot of the long-range planning.

I've really enjoyed the last two movies too but there is no excuse for their shitty development of their female characters.  Dandesun is right about that.  Storm, Kitty, Rogue...they should all be bigger and better characters in the movies.  The X-women have driven a LOT of the stories over the decades.

• Love 2

Psylocke is a great character. I've actually really loved so many different incarnations of her. From the purple haired British girl with the flouncy pink outfit, to the hardcore warrior in armor and cloak, to the suddenly Japanese martial artist with the psychic knife that was the 'sum totality of my psychic powers.' (Whatever that actually means.)

And I'm so tired of Mystique in Singer's X-movies that I am more than ready for Apocalypse to snap her neck so we can be done with her for awhile. Bye, Felicia!!

That was my problem with that video but, I just remembered a recent run of X-Men (All Girl Lineup) and in one issue they used Betsy's psychic rope to hold a plane together (she can now do more than just a blade).  There was also an older issue, from X-Cutioner's Song where they were all battling on the Moon and Betsy used her psychic knife to cut into a key pad and find the correct combination (IIRC).  So I guess it's something they've done off and on but it did strike me as wrong the first time i saw it.

Honestly FOX have screwed up the X-Men so much that I just can't even be bothered with the movies, I'll just wait for them to hit cable.  Nothing from First Class or Days of Future Past really blew me away enough to say I'll give them another chance.  Mostly it was the nostalgia factor of seeing Scott, Jean and Storm again that worked for me.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I'm at least encouraged that Wolverine doesn't appear to be front-and-center of every scene of this movie, and McAvoy & Fassbender are good enough to be worth buying one ticket to me.

You should look at the youtube and see how many dummies who didn't watch the prior film are asking why wolverine hasn't been shown. 

Is it wrong that I hope this movie underperforms so Disney can negotiate with Fox for at least partial rights to the characters and the term "mutant" (along with all of The Fantastic Four stuff).

Nope.

But I'm tired of the X-Men who was my favorite superhero team ever(now the Avengers hold that spot)but I'm sick of the fact that after all these movies some of my all time favorite comic book characters are still underdeveloped.

I just want another reboot and the X-Men in someone's hands who will develop their characters. There is so much that can be done with the X-Men and I want to see that in my lifetime.

• Love 5

I just want another reboot and the X-Men in someone's hands who will develop their characters. There is so much that can be done with the X-Men and I want to see that in my lifetime.

Word. The X-Men were Marvel's flagship team for so long for a reason--it's such a rich treasure trove of material. It's baffling that the movie franchise has been so stagnant after the second movie (arguably the first).
  • Love 5

Is it wrong that I hope this movie underperforms so Disney can negotiate with Fox for at least partial rights to the characters and the term "mutant" (along with all of The Fantastic Four stuff).

IMO -- and IMO only -- yes.  It's not going to happen.  Even if this movie underperforms, they would hold on to the rights for, I believe, at least 4 years before they would have to either give up the rights or renegotiate -- assuming they made no X movies in that time frame.  

After the success of Deadpool, Fox won't give up the X rights for anything, I suspect.  They are going to want X characters in their Deadpool movies and (possibly) vice versa.  

I like the X movies and am happy to support them.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this.