Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I do, too, @Jeddah!  I was listening to Scott, and, especially Sandra on the rebroadcasts, and really not enjoying it.  Tracy Wilson was great, though.

I think the top three have a lot to offer.  Bradie has been rock-solid consistent this year, if Mirai hits, she can rival anyone technically, and Karen has the lovely, artistic side nailed down.  But I'm not really an Ashley fan, either.  I admire her consistency and work ethic, but her skating has never really appealed to me.

• Love 3

I’ve been watching “The Crown” a lot which may explain my first reaction to Bradie Tennelle was that she looked like a member of the British royal family.

I try not to emotionally invest in athletes but I have always had a soft spot for Mirai dating back to the Vancouver Olympics and what they did to her four years ago infuriated me. The fact she has never given up is a tribute to how much she loves this sport. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I try not to emotionally invest in athletes but I have always had a soft spot for Mirai dating back to the Vancouver Olympics and what they did to her four years ago infuriated me. The fact she has never given up is a tribute to how much she loves this sport. 

I don't understand what you mean by "what they did to her". Mirai had very, very few good finishes in international competitions since 09-10, was never sent to worlds after that season, and won just bronze medals in Rostelecom and US Championships in 13-14. In contrast, Ashley consistently medalled in international competitions, was the best US lady in 12-13 Worlds that ensured 3 spots for the US ladies, finished 3rd in the GPF (and was in the top 2 of her GP assignments) and finished 4th in the US championships. The rules were clear. Mirai had no one but herself to blame.

I think Mirai is artistic, but not a competitive skater. By that I don't mean that she doesn't try hard or train, just that she clearly gets flustered when the stakes are high and makes mistakes. Her athletic abilities aren't the best (but also not the worst). She would be great at ice shows, but I don't like watching her compete, especially with everyone pretending as if she was this great skater who's just going through a rough patch.

• Love 4

Traditionally, the USFSA picks their Olympic team from the national championship finishers. I know there is some discretion, but that’s how it usually is. Mirai finished ahead of Wagner in 2014. Wagner fell a few times that championship. Mirai also had Olympic experience also finished fourth in the previous Olympics (ahead of Flatt, who was the US National champ that year.)  That’s what I meant by what USFSA did to her. I think she should have gone to Sochi.  YMMV. 

• Love 7

I don't think so? 

And there's a lot of time between 2010 and 2014. :shrugs:

Unless these rules have changed a lot in the last four years, Mirai fulfilled one tier 1 criteria over Ashley (2014 US champs), Ashley had two over Mirai (2013 worlds and 2013 GPF, neither of which Mirai even qualified for).

Edited by fan94

It seems that every year, a young skater gets over inflated scores to boost her as the "Next Great Hope."  Yes, Bradie was clean. Yes, she's cute, blond and appealing.  But her quality of skating? Yawnsville. But this happens all the damned time, and then the younger skater which is suddenly pushed ahead into the spotlight by the USFSA, withers under  international pressure.  Polina Edmonds was technically fine, but seemed young and gawky to me.  No maturity.  I feel the same about Bradie. All technical moves, but no personality, yet.  She deserved high scores because she was clean, but a fucking U.S. short program RECORD? The highest scoring short program EVER? Are you kidding me? Come on, now. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Just got to see Slutskaya’s 2006 LP. It was so.....floppy and sloppy. All of those awkward Bielmanns. Egads.

The whole 2006 Olympic event was "grab your skate boot and spin" to rack up points under the new system. Did they end up limiting the number of times that could be done (after the 2006 season), because Torino was ridiculous with it.  Not just Bielmann spins, but lots of slow, awkward, BAD Bielmann spins. 

• Love 3

Oh dear, I hope we're not in for another controversy if Ashley doesn't make the top three after the long program. I just can't with her anymore. I haven't seen the short programs but I'm team Bradie all the way. 

I also don't think I'll be able to watch the ladies competition this year. This is probably unpopular opinion and I'll take my lumps for it, but the current "it" girl, Evgenia Medvedeva, is a total snoozefest on the ice. I got back into following skating with all the news about the new Tonya Harding movie (lol) and watched some of the past worlds and other competitions and I just don't get the hype. She's technically very good, but all the hand wringing, hysteria, and unbelievable scores has just left me like 

I'll watch it, but like you, I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it. It seems like Medvedeva is the pre-ordained gold medalist and everyone else is just chasing after the silver and bronze. Who knows, maybe by the Olympics, Bradie Tennell will learn to do six or seven jumps with her arms over her heads and pull off an upset win! 

• Love 6

I hope the outcome of the ladies' championship is unquestionable, whatever happens.  I'm not sure I'm up for another Olympics of heated disputes about who should get to go and so on.  It would also be tough, emotionally, to see a top three skater displaced in favor of Ashley again, especially since her results this season haven't been as good as in years past.  

I've been hearing all sorts of conspiracy theories about the USFSA deciding behind closed doors that Ashley wasn't going to get to go, based on the whole Skate America thing.  If that was the case, you'd think that they'd have advised the various advertisers of this, then, because she is ALL OVER the publicity for the Olympics.  

I will be very surprised if she doesn't get to go, honestly, unless she completely tanks.  

• Love 3

I think Ashley had better finish on that podium if she wants to make it to the Olympics, especially if the current top three stay in podium position.  Who would you bump?  I can't see Bradie, Mirai or Karen being left off if they are the top three. Now if Angela Wang snuck onto the podium,  I could see them taking a fourth place Ashley instead.

• Love 1

Ashley has far less of a case this time around, except maybe over Bradie. But if Bradie wins, then she'll likely have no case. 

But honestly, Mirai and Karen are probably going to meltdown and Ashley will take second. Karen and Ashley aren't even that far apart, and Mirai bleeds points in FS.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I don't have the Olympic Channel and the USFSA YouTube channel has nothing up yet. Anyone have a link where I can watch the ladies' SP from last night?

You tube channel 1TVDance posted the ladies short videos.  Youtube channel FSlive1 did livestream it but i'll need to paste the  link as it may not be public.

Edited by HartofDixie
  • Love 2

Well, I ended up watching the second half of pairs, in time to see Stellanto/Bartholomay (he's such a cutie pie!) and along with Johnny and Tara, was dismayed with their score.  I love the Hallelujah SP of theirs and they were clean.  Also was disappointed that Denny/Haven didn't have a clean skate (and Brandon looked so depressed).  Knierem/Knierem are in first, unfortunately.  Pairs and Ladies are really testing my love of this sport these past few years.  Next up: Men's.

Thanks HartofDixie. I still like Ashley's short program the best, minus the error. I didn't really care for Mirai's short program. I didn't like the music and the whole thing felt kind of slow. And she didn't come anywhere near landing that triple axel either - looked like it was a good half rotation short. I did like Karen Chen's short program though (again, minus the error). Polina's short was underwhelming and so was Bradie's, honestly. I mean, it was technically very solid but there was just no discernible performance or personality in it, especially when you compare it to one like Ashley's. 

I just can't figure out WTH is wrong with Ashley. She keeps stumbling on these combination jumps - she didn't even 2-foot the second jump, she just sort of put her other foot down way too soon and might have been under-rotated. She lost a good 3 to 4 points on that alone and would have been in 2nd otherwise.  

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Stellanto/Bartholomay (he's such a cutie pie!) and along with Johnny and Tara, was dismayed with their score

They mentioned it again at the end too.

How can Terry, Tara, nor Johnny not recognize the robot from Star Wars? Clearly I live in a different world from these folks.

Max Aaron's short is Les Miz and free is Phantom? Will someone please tell these skaters and their coaches that there is a lot of other music in the world? And so far Max is not making a great case for himself on the Olympic team.

So happy this is all on NBCSN (and NBC) for a change instead of the Olympic Channel so I can actually watch it!

• Love 5

I am a huge Jason Brown fan, but I call shenanigans on that score. He should be in 5th. I very much agree with Tara’s comment during the slow-mo replay that not properly calling those kinds of obvious underrotations is just the kind of thing that keeps people from taking this seriously as a sport.

• Love 13

In pairs, I definitely thought Stellato and Barthmolomay should have been first. They looked gorgeous, and the program just kept building. I get annoyed watching Denney and Frazier skate because they cost the US its second pairs spot, and I'm still not over it.

For the men: I love how excited Raf is everytime Nathan skates. He knows he hit the jackpot coaching Nathan. But Raf dancing in the Kiss and Cry after Adam's skate was the best coach reaction of the night. I like Adam's confidence, and I like that he delivered.

Vincent's performance was a nice surprise. If only he had hit the axel too! Grant Hochstein was the best surprise of the night for me, and then he was super sweet talking about how his program was dedicated to Caroline Zhang. How adorable is he?

I adore Jason Brown, but he definitely didn't deserve to be 3rd. I'd be happy if he makes the team, but not if it's because of sketchy judging.

I was crushed for Max. Just crushed. That was hard to watch. I know Jeremy Abbot earned his spot in Sochi, but then he completely squandered the opportunity. At the time I wished Max had gotten to go because I would have liked to have seen what he would have made of the opportunity. Now I really wish he had gotten to go then since he's not going to make it to the Olympics this time unless a miracle happens. 

3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

How can Terry, Tara, nor Johnny not recognize the robot from Star Wars? Clearly I live in a different world from these folks.

I know! I was cracking up at that. I kept yelling, "It's BB-8" at my tv.

I liked the Terry, Peggy, and Dick reunion. I don't know which commentating moment I loved more, Johnny and Tara's reaction to Jimmy Ma's "Turn Down for What" routine or Johnny choosing Samantha after Terry said he needed another name.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, specialj67 said:

I am a huge Jason Brown fan, but I call shenanigans on that score. He should be in 5th. I very much agree with Tara’s comment during the slow-mo replay that not properly calling those kinds of obvious underrotations is just the kind of thing that keeps people from taking this seriously as a sport.

I love it when Tara and Johnny point out the over-inflated scores, or in Ashley's case, the under-scoring, of certain skaters.  I liked that they pointed out that Bradie may have been technically better then Ashley, but Ashley was  more artistic.  Yet, the judges decided to give Ashley a lower component score and Johnny's right, that's where the judges could still play politics.  I guess the USFSA has decided to crown Bradie their new princess.

And good for them for pointing out that Jason was getting propped--I think he's wonderful but ignoring under rotating jumps does not do him any favors because the Olympic judges will not be as kind.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I love it when Tara and Johnny point out the over-inflated scores, or in Ashley's case, the under-scoring, of certain skaters.  I liked that they pointed out that Bradie may have been technically better then Ashley, but Ashley was  more artistic.  Yet, the judges decided to give Ashely a lower componet score and Johnny's right, that's where the judges could still play politics.  I guess the USFSA has decided to crown Bradie their new princess.

And good for them for pointing out that Jason was getting propped--I think he's wonderful but ignoring under rotating jumps does not do him any favors because the Olympic judges will not be as kind.

Did they say they thought Ashley was underscored? I don’t remember that.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Did they say they thought Ashley was underscored? I don’t remember that.

Oh yes, they brought up the scores of the top three girls and Ashley's and both Johnny and Tara stated that there was so way Bradie's component score should have been higher then Ashley's--Johnny kept saying that he was shocked.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 2

Yes, I am frankly enjoying Johnny and Tara's commentary, much to my surprise. They can bug sometimes but good for them calling out wonky judging. I for one am over Jason Brown and have been for years. He came of age about ten years too late in this sport and sending him to the Olympics isn't going to do us any good. This is obviously Nathan's competition to lose but I'm rooting for Grant Hochstein. And I feel so sorry for Max Aaron.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Oh yes, they brought up the scores of the top three girls and Ashley's and both Johnny and Tara stated that there was so way Braie's component score should have been higher then Ashely's--Johnny kept saying that he was shocked.

I guess I zoned out at that point. They seemed very complimentary of Bradie when I was watching. Bradie’s component scores weren’t higher than Ashley’s. They were very close, but Ashley had 32.94, and Bradie had 32.91. So if Johnny and Tara were shocked that Bradie had higher component scores than Ashley, then they should look at those scores again, because she didn’t.

54 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@fan94 In my catching up of recent figure skating, I came across a CBC broadcast that outright roasted the Russian girls. The announcer was like "If you need to go to the bathroom or get some popcorn, now is the time to do it because she isn't going to start jumping for another two minutes...". 

Of course, from what I've read, they are supposed to dock you in PCS if you have an unbalanced program with jumps all in the second half, but apparently this doesn't apply to certain skaters (not just talking about the Russian girls, here). 

Watched that too! It was for Alina Zagitova. And I think it's just Russian girls + Kaori Sakamoto right now who backload programs this season.

If commentators can have points docked, then Dick+Peggy+Kurt Browning super-trio for all future competitions, please.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I guess I zoned out at that point. They seemed very complimentary of Bradie when I was watching. Bradie’s component scores weren’t higher than Ashley’s. They were very close, but Ashley had 32.94, and Bradie had 32.91. So if Johnny and Tara were shocked that Bradie had higher component scores than Ashley, then they should look at those scores again, because she didn’t.

Jeddah, I apologize, you are correct--what Johnny and Tara were talking about was that Ashley's component scores were higher then Bradie's at Skate America but that in this competition somehow Bradie's were significantly bumped up.  At Skate America Bradie received a 29.36 yet somehow at Nationals doing the exact same program she's now received a 32.91?  And Ashley received a 33.68 but at Nationals she receives a 32.94?   Seems rather wonky :)

• Love 3

I did not think Nathan was that much better than Grant.  Only one great jump out of the three and he breaks 100?  Hmmm. . .

I continue to hate their skating to songs with words.  I hated most of the music.  And whoever approved the spin position with their rear in the air should be removed from office.  Get off my lawn, people!

• Love 3

Damn, the Shibs' short program is awesome! Those twizzles set to that music, wow. Glad that H/D did well but their disappointment in coming in second in the short was obvious.

I'm happy all of this is on NBCSN for a change - really have enjoyed watching the full shorts the last couple days. Please use NBCSN for the Olympics, powers-that-be!

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Glad that H/D did well but their disappointment in coming in second in the short was obvious.

I'm happy all of this is on NBCSN for a change - really have enjoyed watching the full shorts the last couple days. Please use NBCSN for the Olympics, powers-that-be!

I'm surprised that H/D actually thought they could beat the ShibSibs.  First of all, they haven't been together that long. Secondly, it wasn't all that long ago that they took turns screwing up during different programs and then were practically crying while waiting for their scores. Thirdly, they were competing against two time champions and World silver medalists.  I really like this team but I didn't like their attitude (when they knew they'd be seen on TV while waiting for the Shibutanis' score).

Yes indeed. Having all this skating on the Olympics channel and also NBCSN is terrific.  I was just thinking of how I used to hunt for European broadcasts because we were getting nothing on USA television except a few broadcasts of the top teams.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I really like this team but I didn't like their attitude (when they knew they'd be seen on TV while waiting for the Shibutanis' score).

My thoughts exactly. According to Tanith, they are dead set on getting the gold, which is why they looked so dismayed. I guess the three teams ended only a point or so apart at GPF which is why they thought it was possible? But if the Shibs are on their game, and with both teams' past medal history, tempering those expectations might be advisable. That said, I do hope that H/D manage to finish in front of C/B for once.

Anyone catch the interview with Davis and White? Both stressed their activities these days and how they were enjoying life. These are two people who don't feel the need to return to "redeem" themselves or stick it to anyone else.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Jeddah, I apologize, you are correct--what Johnny and Tara were talking about was that Ashley's component scores were higher then Bradie's at Skate America but that in this competition somehow Bradie's were significantly bumped up.  At Skate America Bradie received a 29.36 yet somehow at Nationals doing the exact same program she's now received a 32.91?  And Ashley received a 33.68 but at Nationals she receives a 32.94?   Seems rather wonky :)

Just to add to this, they were also pointing out that Mirai's were 31.19 which was lower then Bradie's and Karen Chen had a 33.80.  And if you start looking at the detailed breakouts and comparing the top 5, they just seem odd.  

4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Anyone catch the interview with Davis and White? Both stressed their activities these days and how they were enjoying life. These are two people who don't feel the need to return to "redeem" themselves or stick it to anyone else.

Great interview.  I've always liked D/W.  They never took potshots at other teams, just focused on their own efforts.  Meryl looks wonderful. Is it a new hairstyle? New make-up?  She just looks so much prettier today (maybe not having to work so hard every day at the rink!!)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 7

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I don't like allowing lyrics in the music. I think it's great for the skaters and the live audience, but it's horrible for television viewers. It's so difficult to separate the commentary from the lyrics!

• Love 5

^^ I'm with you, I really wish they'd never allowed lyrics in. If you don't like the song it's too easy to dislike the performance as well (or at least not enjoy it and appreciate it as you would otherwise). And it does make it hard to hear the commentary, too.

• Love 3

Yeah, Hubble and Donahue didn’t even try to hide their bitch faces as the Shibs score came up. Their attitude seems to be a bit entitled. Too bad, because I was hoping that they’d finish ahead of Chock and Bates this time. Now? I don’t care one way or the other as long as the Shibs win.  But Donahue and the puppy was adorbs.

wait...Charlie and Tanith had a baby?  Did I miss something, or has this been kept quiet? I follow Meryl and Charlie on Twitter and Instagram, and either I missed something, or they kept this under wraps. Anyone know, boy or girl? 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I haven't seen any articles that lay out exactly what the Russian skaters plan to do.

Terry said during dance short that he thought all the big Russian names would be competing as long as they passed the drug test, so that must be the common wisdom right now.

On another note: Starr Andrews! I have no idea who she is, but I teared up right alongside her when she exited the ice. What a great performance and senior debut!

• Love 5