Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I haven't watched since the Sochi judging debacle. Yeah, there is all sorts of hand-waving and whataboutism you can use to justify Sotnikova wining but it still stank. Looking at the PCS scores for the anointed favorites is just absurd. Judged events that go to two decimal precision are just garbage ways to hide your favoritism and cheating. Add in anonymous judging and no penalties for being outside the mean (a jump averages a +2.3 PCS but you've given a -1, then all your judging scores should be tossed out because you either weren't watching or were cheating. Or everyone else is giving 9.1ish for whatever component score and you are down at 8.3, you had better have an explanation because clearly not all judges are using the same criteria (just using Adam Rippon as fresh example, 3 judges at Nationals thought his skating skills were 9.50 level and one thought it was 8.0. And 2 thought his Performance was 9.5 while one gave it a 7.25. How does that even happen? A spread of 2.25 when we are using that level of precision is absurd. It is incompetence or cheating and neither is acceptable)) and I was done. I'll probably watch during the Olympics but I am definitely not as invested as I was previously.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow - the looks on the faces of the Shibs both after their FD and then when they learned they were not a three-peat champion team.  I wonder what's going on.  Their FD had to be changed since the GP finale. Why?   I have to confess I was pulling for anyone but H/D to win today (I think their training up in Montreal has brought about a new "attitude", one I don't care for...but that's just IMO).  So, although I loved getting to see so much figure skating this long weekend (hey, starting Wednesday night for goodness sakes!!), I'm not all that thrilled with the results (except I knew Nathan would win and rightfully so; hope he wins the Olympic gold next month).  Looking forward to the O's (what time will we be getting them? in 2014, I was glued to NBCSN every morning and loving it).

You're not the only one who thinks so! I think they've been standing too close to Douche Moir the past couple of years. They acted entitled and pissy about being in third after the SD. At this point, I was rooting for Chock and Bates to win in the end to knock Hubble and Donahue off their perch, even if it meant giving the Shibs the bronze.   When Maia stumbled, I knew what was about to happen.  The podium at the Olympics could all belong to Marie France.  Gag me with a face clutching, bodice ripping, show your female skaters naked backs down to the crack of their asses, romance novel on ice.  I hope this motivates Maia and Alex to make whatever adjustments necessary to get on the podium. They're so classy, and not entitled snots. 

How come there was never any media attention  like what happened to Sale and Pelletier?

I think in the case of Sale and Pelletier, because it happened at an Olympics held on US soil, so close to the Canadian border, the US and Canadian press went absolutely ballistic, giving the judging controversy wall to wall coverage and having access to everyone involved. Plus, we all saw it happen live. The Sochi Olympics were half way around the world. While the winner was once again Russian, the silver medalist this time was South Korean. It made huge waves there, in YuNa's home country, but media here didn't have as much access. They were on Putin's soil, and the events were happening hours in advance to being shown on TV here. Sure, we could see what happened, but it was old news by the time we saw it. And who knows if the North American press felt intimidated questioning whether there was shenanigans going on, while on Russian soil. They reported it, but they didn't go crazy like they did in Salt Lake. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

I don’t usually watch much ice dance because I don’t really understand it as much as the other disciplines, but I have watched H/D in the Grand Prix final and in nationals. This is shallow, but the FACES she continually pulls while skating turn me off. She always looks like she is trying way too hard to be “sexy,” but it comes off as “sneering” and reminds me of Tessa Virtue, who I can’t stand. I just look at her and think, “What is the deal here?”

Also shallow—Zach is pretty hot.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The podium at the Olympics could all belong to Marie France.  Gag me with a face clutching, bodice ripping, show your female skaters naked backs down to the crack of their asses, romance novel on ice.  I hope this motivates Maia and Alex to make whatever adjustments necessary to get on the podium. They're so classy, and not entitled snots. 

Sorry about that,  It wouldn't let me post anything under the quote (which has happened before...very weird!)  Anyway...OMG, the thought of an All-Marie France podium.  That will be truly depressing. But Tanith will like it because she loved H/D's FD today complete w/ all the smouldering angst.  I've loved ice dance for the past 20 years or so but all the face grabbing/neck clutching crap turns me off.  I don't wanna see a soap opera on ice.  

• Love 4

Marie France has brought that to her dance teams. She could never coach a sibling pair, for sure. The inhaling and clutching of each other's faces, the faux romances, and yeah, Madison Hubble does look like she's sneering. I don't think Tessa looks quite that bad. Scott is the one that gives off douchey vibes in that pair, IMO. The one time I liked Hubble and Donahue this weekend was when the camera caught Zach in the Milk Bone sponsor's puppy pen, and a puppy was licking his face. Puppies make everything better. And yeah, he's good looking. That said, I still didn't wan't them to win!

Oh dear god, Tonya Harding is at the Golden Globes. And Allison Janney just thanked her after she won Best Supporting Actress for playing Tonya's psycho mom. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, redpencil said:

ETA: The other program that really surprised lower down in the standings was Tomoki Hiwatashi. He wasn't shown on tv, so I'd encourage everyone to check it out; it was immensely entertaining. He also got a standing ovation. He must have had a rough SP, as he was 15th going in, but his FS was 7th and he finished 11th overall. He's only 17, so hopefully we see a lot of him going forward. He was named to the worlds junior team, so I hope he does well.

I'll have to look for this one!  This year's Men's junior champ is Camden Pulkinen.  He is a very elegant skater with lovely presentation skills--when I first saw him, his skating reminded me a bit of Josh Farris's.  I think he has all the jumps except for the quad.  He'll be another one to watch in the next few years.

My prediction is that the singles will split the team event though I think our ice dance teams are more deserving of being part of that medal.

Nate & Bradie for short, Adam & Mirai for free. I think they will want the Shibs in but with H&D winning I’m not sure.

10 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Link to the free live stream of Canadian nationals. Hopefully less drama!

I didn't quote your link since it was to the comments on one of Gracie Gold's tweets.

Was there drama when she and Frank parted ways? I haven't paid as much attention to skating and the associated due to life issues. It was hard to watch skating for awhile after my Mom died because it was something we did a lot together. This is the first year since that I've been trying to pay full attention to everything going on. I appreciate this thread since it's kept me from asking some stupid questions about more recent stuff.  ?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I could not have been more turned off by the "sexiness" of H/D free dance. That's the exact style of ice dance that drives me crazy. I knew the Shibs  wouldn't win after that stumble, but I really loved their free dance. I even preferred Chock and Bates free to H/D, and I am not a huge fan of them. Ugh, I hate to think the Olympic podium is going to be three of these ridiculously over the top "smoldering" routines!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I didn't quote your link since it was to the comments on one of Gracie Gold's tweets.

Was there drama when she and Frank parted ways? I haven't paid as much attention to skating and the associated due to life issues. It was hard to watch skating for awhile after my Mom died because it was something we did a lot together. This is the first year since that I've been trying to pay full attention to everything going on. I appreciate this thread since it's kept me from asking some stupid questions about more recent stuff.  ?

Correct link: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/canada-invites-global-audience-nationals/

Frank decided to end things with Gracie after the 2017 Nationals but told the media before he told her! Her live tweets this weekend were epic and worth reading thru.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

No confusion, just my personal preferences--I am not an uber Michelle Kwan fan. never was, so I don't think she has a "stellar international reputation/results"--there were many times I think MK was over-marked, so yes, when she was named to the 2006 Olympic team on reputation alone and then withdraw shortly before the games began, I thought it was crappy to do that to the alternate Emily Hughes, especially because Kwan had been to two previous Olympics and she knows how nerve-wracking that can be for a skater.

As far Adam Rippon, I like him, I like his moxie, and his sassiness and that he keeps improving himself artistically and technically.  He has also been a presence for the US men for quite some time so I love that this 28 year old will be a first time Olympian.   I  hope he does well.

Well, just because you disliked Kwan and/or found her overmarked does not mean she didn't have a stellar international reputation and results. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, honeywest said:

I feel letdown by these Nationals—the Shibs’ mistake, Jason Brown’s mistakes, Johnny and Tara’s obnoxiousness.

Yeah, and I was so excited about all the extended coverage from NBC! But how many times can they show us Bradie Tennell's programs? It's almost like they're trying to convince us. "No really. This is your champion. Seriously." 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, KFC said:

Well, just because you disliked Kwan and/or found her overmarked does not mean she didn't have a stellar international reputation and results. 

The woman won five world championships. I think she's got a pretty good international reputation.

• Love 7

Ashley didn't skate in the gala last night (she would have been invited, but I think she said on Friday that she was going home). Obviously her decision, but I feel like if Mirai was able to skate the gala four years ago and Ross was able to do it last night, she could have gotten it together to do it.  The response from the fans would have been enormous.  There was an odd symmetry to seeing Mirai do so well here compared to last time-seeing Mirai sit next to the USFS president while he talked about how Ashley did just not do well enough this time around/seeing Gracie Gold deal with the fallout of her coaching relationship with Frank coming to an end/tweeting a snarky remark this weekend about how Frank "retired" her.  Comparing Ross to Polina four years ago-Polina had also won both of her junior grand prix assignments and had made the junior grand prix final that season-even Mirai had won a bronze on the senior grand prix that season-and Ross had less than that.  But I do think that since Jason Brown came in 6th at nationals, he shouldn't be getting first alternate for both worlds and Olympics. It's not like he is Nathan Chen.  Plus, the alternate spots mostly end up being symbolic anyways.   

• Love 8

I still have mixed feelings.  I guess I am not as convinced as some about Adam's ability to do well internationally.  I don't think over the years he has had obvious success, and has had many years of being off and on.  I do think, he is better this year, but he truly lost it at the end of the program at nationals which doesn't give me huge confidence in him for Olympics.  I do understand Ross has not done much at all, but I am not sure that Adam is a huge success over him at this point either.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

Ashley didn't skate in the gala last night (she would have been invited, but I think she said on Friday that she was going home). Obviously her decision, but I feel like if Mirai was able to skate the gala four years ago and Ross was able to do it last night, she could have gotten it together to do it.  The response from the fans would have been enormous.  There was an odd symmetry to seeing Mirai do so well here compared to last time-seeing Mirai sit next to the USFS president while he talked about how Ashley did just not do well enough this time around/seeing Gracie Gold deal with the fallout of her coaching relationship with Frank coming to an end/tweeting a snarky remark this weekend about how Frank "retired" her.  Comparing Ross to Polina four years ago-Polina had also won both of her junior grand prix assignments and had made the junior grand prix final that season-even Mirai had won a bronze on the senior grand prix that season-and Ross had less than that.  But I do think that since Jason Brown came in 6th at nationals, he shouldn't be getting first alternate for both worlds and Olympics. It's not like he is Nathan Chen.  Plus, the alternate spots mostly end up being symbolic anyways.   

If Ashley skipped the gala for a health/ injury reason, that's one thing.  If she skipped it because she is disappointed in her results,  then that is just being a poor sport.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Minneapple said:

The woman won five world championships. I think she's got a pretty good international reputation.

and

9 hours ago, KFC said:

But that's the point of personal opinions and preferences isn't it?  Look, I enjoyed many of Michelle's long programs--her Tosca is one of my favorites--but that doesn't mean I was blind to the judges occasionally fudging results in her favor.

And since I have zero problem with having unpopular opinions, I adore Hubbell and Donohue and their intense long program.  Hubbell has a long way to go before she reaches Scott Moir level of obnoxiousness and yes H/D let the dismay at being second after the short program show on their faces, but they didn't start bashing their competitors in their interviews or blaming their coach.  Instead, they focused on what they had to do to improve their programs and talked about their own mindsets.

And while I think the "romance" in Virtue and Moir's skating is manufactured and forced, I believe every moment of passion in the H/D skates--I'm not implying that they're in a relationship, just that they are that passionate about their skating and the story they want to tell.  Also, if Maia hadn't stumbled, I think the Shibs would still have retained their title with H/D taking the silver.  The ice dance competition at the Olympics is going to be insane and I can't wait :):)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

But that's the point of personal opinions and preferences isn't it?  Look, I enjoyed many of Michelle's long programs--her Tosca is one of my favorites--but that doesn't mean I was blind to the judges occasionally fudging results in her favor.

You can dislike her and that's fine and I honestly don't care, but saying she doesn't have a stellar international reputation and results isn't a personal opinion. That's just factually wrong.

• Love 14

Nate & Bradie for short, Adam & Mirai for free. I think they will want the Shibs in but with H&D winning I’m not sure.

I would think they would use Nathan and Bradie for the free skate to maximize their point potential, especially Nathan, since he has 5 or 6 quads in his free skate, while Adam can land one on a good day, and Mirai is doing her triple axil in the short anyway.

• Love 1

I hope they use Adam for the short.  He's had a lot of consistency with it this season.  Even if Nathan doesn't skate a perfect long, he will rack up a lot of technical points.

I will be sad if losing the national title keeps the Shibs out of the team competition.   They didn't get to do it last time because Meryl and Charlie skated both.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Libby96 said:

I hope they use Adam for the short.  He's had a lot of consistency with it this season.  Even if Nathan doesn't skate a perfect long, he will rack up a lot of technical points.

I will be sad if losing the national title keeps the Shibs out of the team competition.   They didn't get to do it last time because Meryl and Charlie skated both.

I wonder how the USFSA will decide who is used for in the team competitions?  If it's based on the Grand Prix finale or their results at Nationals or a combination of both?

I still have mixed feelings.  I guess I am not as convinced as some about Adam's ability to do well internationally.  I don't think over the years he has had obvious success, and has had many years of being off and on.  I do think, he is better this year, but he truly lost it at the end of the program at nationals which doesn't give me huge confidence in him for Olympics.  I do understand Ross has not done much at all, but I am not sure that Adam is a huge success over him at this point either.  

Ross has won two bronze and two silver medals at Nationals. Granted, he has fallen behind in recent years, but no - there is no evidence that Adam would do better on an international stage than Ross. They've both been around about the same amount of time and both have had highs and lows in their careers. I could see bumping Ross if he'd come in third, maybe, but second? What a slap in the face. I honestly don't know what they think Adam has that he doesn't, except perhaps more media exposure.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Ross has won two bronze and two silver medals at Nationals. Granted, he has fallen behind in recent years, but no - there is no evidence that Adam would do better on an international stage than Ross. They've both been around about the same amount of time and both have had highs and lows in their careers. I could see bumping Ross if he'd come in third, maybe, but second? What a slap in the face. I honestly don't know what they think Adam has that he doesn't, except perhaps more media exposure.

Erm, there's plenty of evidence that Adam would do better than Ross on an international field. 

• Love 5

Not based on how he skated Friday.

Neither has a quad in the short. Both have only one quad in the long. Technically, they're about even.

So - Adam made the GP final and Ross didn't. That's it? Adam didn't step up to the plate when it counted, and Ross did.

• Love 5
On 1/5/2018 at 5:51 AM, kitmerlot1213 said:

I love it when Tara and Johnny point out the over-inflated scores, or in Ashley's case, the under-scoring, of certain skaters.  I liked that they pointed out that Bradie may have been technically better then Ashley, but Ashley was  more artistic.  Yet, the judges decided to give Ashley a lower component score and Johnny's right, that's where the judges could still play politics.  I guess the USFSA has decided to crown Bradie their new princess.

And good for them for pointing out that Jason was getting propped--I think he's wonderful but ignoring under rotating jumps does not do him any favors because the Olympic judges will not be as kind.

Of course, when they were commentating about the short programs, Johnny made sure to say that Ashley didn't have style, that she wasn't graceful and artistic.  I hope the clock is ticking on him and Tara.  

Jason has been getting propped for years.  The first guy to skate a long program this event, someone who wasn't even shown on television, executed a perfect quad Salchow.  If Jason can't land a quad, he's not at the level of the rest of the pack.

• Love 1

Erm, there's plenty of evidence that Adam would do better than Ross on an international field. 

I just went to do some digging and came up pretty thin on Adam's standings and accomplishments.  In fact I thought the pages weren't updated, but they were--there just wasn't much for them to post.  Nothing against Adam, but let's not pretend he has wonderful international results for his career.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, redpencil said:

Side note, I was there in person last night and LOVED Ross's skate. But I still think this is the right decision. Also, I know Vincent has a ways to go artistically (and he needs to fix those under-rotations), but he also captured the entire arena with that performance. He got one of the very few immediate standing O's of the night. His first jump combo (one of his clean quads) was one of the most spectacular jumping passes I've ever seen. Nathan also has a presence that I think maybe doesn't always come across on tv. I think the criticisms about his artistry are often overstated. He maybe doesn't always emote or project the feeling of the program as well as other skaters, but he has beautiful posture/lines, his skating skills are top notch, he has difficult transitions, etc. (all of which is part of the PCS score). I will say that I think his short program allows him to connect a bit more than the long. That short program is brilliant, and you can tell how much he feels it (plus it has my favorite footwork sequence of any skater this season). It has a cool, modern vibe that really suits him.

ETA: The other program that really surprised lower down in the standings was Tomoki Hiwatashi. He wasn't shown on tv, so I'd encourage everyone to check it out; it was immensely entertaining. He also got a standing ovation. He must have had a rough SP, as he was 15th going in, but his FS was 7th and he finished 11th overall. He's only 17, so hopefully we see a lot of him going forward. He was named to the worlds junior team, so I hope he does well.

I was there too.  And I think they should have given Ross something.  If not the Olympics then Worlds or 4C.  If the sport can't figure out how to reward people who do well, then why should anyone really try?  He earned his way into the final group, then skated cleanly and well.  Recognize that.

I agree about Tomoki Hiwatashi, he was great!  Also when Jimmy Ma came out to start his long, he got a huge cheer from the crowd.  Everyone loved the balls of his short program.

Did they say anything about how they couldn't clear the ice after Vincent Zhou's skate?  There were so many stuffed animals and strawberries that the poor little kids couldn't carry them away.  Next skater, they sent them out with garbage bags.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I would think they would use Nathan and Bradie for the free skate to maximize their point potential, especially Nathan, since he has 5 or 6 quads in his free skate, while Adam can land one on a good day, and Mirai is doing her triple axil in the short anyway.

I wouldn't let Adam or Mirai anywhere near the team competition. Both are far too prone to choking to hang everyone else's hopes on. I'd split the ice dance to keep the teams fresh since they actually have a shot at a medal or top 5. I would also send Vincent out to rack up points even if he's less than perfect. Attempted quads rack up more than attempted triples. The men's field is sad enough overall, he'd probably muster up enough points for the team competition. 

On 1/8/2018 at 0:28 PM, iMonrey said:

Not based on how he skated Friday.

Neither has a quad in the short. Both have only one quad in the long. Technically, they're about even.

So - Adam made the GP final and Ross didn't. That's it? Adam didn't step up to the plate when it counted, and Ross did.

On 1/8/2018 at 0:35 PM, alexa said:

I just went to do some digging and came up pretty thin on Adam's standings and accomplishments.  In fact I thought the pages weren't updated, but they were--there just wasn't much for them to post.  Nothing against Adam, but let's not pretend he has wonderful international results for his career.

The post was about how there wasn't much evidence of Adam's international experience and accomplishments over Ross. You brought up Ross' medals at Nationals -- Adam has a gold. Adam has grand prix medals in both the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons(and made the GPF both seasons). Ross doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Miner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Rippon

Adam didn't make the singed jump mistakes throughout the season. In the past few years, he definitely has had a better showing than Ross. And while Ross stepped up this nationals, he did so once. Adam did that several times through this season. Unfortunately, both the GPF and the Nationals have equal weight. That's not where Ross lost it. He lost it for not having enough second tier placements.

Ross skated really well. Unfortunately, his work doesn't hold up, nor should it when we see Adam's work over the past season. A single competition shouldn't invalidate that. Blame the inconsistent application of rules, not the rules themselves.  Because, completely objectively, Zhou shouldn't be going.

Anyway, I'm excited for the Olympics, worlds and Junior worlds, at least the men's event. Jun Hwa Cha has made the Olympics and the Junior Worlds for South Korea, and the US is fielding a good men's team for all three. Excited for South Korea's junior ladies' field, too. Japan, of course. And Russia has a few skaters that I can enjoy without the ISU asking me to do so.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, alexa said:

He medalled in both his GP events this season (he beat Nathan in the free at one of them) has placed top 10 at 2016 worlds, 2016 National champion...

• Love 1

They're going to have to be really careful with Nathan in the team event, as much as he would probably be our top scorer in the short and long.  I'm thinking they will have him do the short.  Two things they definitely do not want:  Nathan to get injured in the team event; Nathan gives his best performance of the year in the team event and then messes up in the individual and finishes off the podium.  Hopefully Nathan will have a Boitano/Lipinski/Hughes skate of his life in the individual. 

What a bummer that so many of Vincent's quads got called for UR.  That quad lutz/Rippon toe is a thing of beauty.  I do like how he just went for it all.

The more I am thinking about it, the more I am feeling bummed for Ross.  A performance like that should get some recognition and reward.  Maybe he will still get a chance to go to Worlds.

I am excited for the Olympics!  If all goes well there should be some real showdowns in all the events.

• Love 6

I feel bad for the second place guy.  So basically he did great enough to be considered second best, but he still doesn't make the team.  Because they wanted the 4th place guy in?  And they took the third place guy because they want him to do "Turn Down for What" and show to the world that American men's figure skating is hip and edgy?  Pfffttt.

So is there anything he could have done to make the team?  Short of winning?  My understanding is that Bradie Tennell was a nobody as recently as November.   So if she had finished second to Mirai, would she have gotten dumped for Ashley Wagner?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

And they took the third place guy because they want him to do "Turn Down for What" and show to the world that American men's figure skating is hip and edgy?

Third place guy didn't do Turn Down for What. Jimmy Ma placed 11th.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

He medalled in both his GP events this season (he beat Nathan in the free at one of them) has placed top 10 at 2016 worlds, 2016 National champion...

Considering how long he has been skating I don’t necessarily find his accomplishments impressive overall other than having decent recent results. That said hopefully he will come through at the Olympics. 

• Love 3

Adam's scores this season: Finlandia: 249.88, SA: 266.45, NHK: 261.99, GPF: 254.33, Nationals: 268.34

Ross's scores this season: Finlandia: 233.72, CS Autumn: 219.96, SA: 219.62, Nationals: 274.51

Poor Ross but his scores this season have been underwhelming except for Nationals. At least he got that great moment and the crowd really seemed to love his skate. Sucks about the Olympics but the only way he would probably be going is if Adam had really imploded because his Nationals score with two popped jumps is still within a few points of Ross's best-by-far.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, alexa said:

Considering how long he has been skating I don’t necessarily find his accomplishments impressive overall other than having decent recent results. That said hopefully he will come through at the Olympics. 

I mean, Ross was even more underwhelming, if that's the case, right?

Also, Jimmy Ma apparently skated to something less conventional last Nationals, too. IDK if he'll ever make the podium, but I hope he gets some sort of entertainment deal out of it. I found him endlessly entertaining. Maybe a host of some weird show. :)

Edited by fan94

Last year Jimmy Ma skated to Eminem.  I think the name of the song was I'm the Real Slim Shady?  I had that stuck in my head for days, really enjoyed it!

Many years ago a ladies skater, Stephanie Rosenthal, did a very creative program to that song Rock It (I think by Herbie Hancock?)  Highly original and fun!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, fan94 said:

Also, Jimmy Ma apparently skated to something less conventional last Nationals, too. IDK if he'll ever make the podium,

During his short, Johnny commented that he had "come a long way" or something similar, so my guess is that he is still improving and on an upwards trajectory. So it's possible!

His musical taste isn't mine, but I love that his choices shake up the arena. We need more of that originality.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Tippi said:

Last year Jimmy Ma skated to Eminem.  I think the name of the song was I'm the Real Slim Shady?  I had that stuck in my head for days, really enjoyed it!

Many years ago a ladies skater, Stephanie Rosenthal, did a very creative program to that song Rock It (I think by Herbie Hancock?)  Highly original and fun!

Stephanie Rosenthal! It was her ‘06 nationals SP:

• Love 5

I was there too.  And I think they should have given Ross something.  If not the Olympics then Worlds or 4C.  If the sport can't figure out how to reward people who do well, then why should anyone really try?  He earned his way into the final group, then skated cleanly and well.  Recognize that.

They did give him 4CC, I'm pretty sure.

Ross skated really well. Unfortunately, his work doesn't hold up, nor should it when we see Adam's work over the past season. A single competition shouldn't invalidate that. Blame the inconsistent application of rules, not the rules themselves.  Because, completely objectively, Zhou shouldn't be going.

Ross beat Vincent in the Tier 1 criteria (barely--less than a point difference in their Nationals scores), but Zhou easily beat him in Tier 2/Tier 3 results, I believe (including silver at 2017 Nationals and gold at the 2017 World Juniors, plus silver in one other event last fall where Ross was 5th). By the criteria the fed laid out, this is the only result you could come away with. Whether or not you agree with the criteria is different, of course. Here's an article that lays out the tiered criteria, for anyone interested.

Edited by redpencil
1 hour ago, redpencil said:

Ross beat Vincent in the Tier 1 criteria (barely--less than a point difference in their Nationals scores), but Zhou easily beat him in Tier 2/Tier 3 results, I believe (including silver at 2017 Nationals and gold at the 2017 World Juniors, plus silver in one other event last fall where Ross was 5th). By the criteria the fed laid out, this is the only result you could come away with. Whether or not you agree with the criteria is different, of course. Here's an article that lays out the tiered criteria, for anyone interested.

Jason beat out Zhou on the first two tiers (and Ross on all three).

(And let's not talk about how overscored Zhou was on PCS, of course)

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1