Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Bradie's jumps are very impressive, though her arms in particular really need a lot of work--all of her moves look like choreographed flailing. It doesn't even look particularly controlled, like you can't tell until she finishes the move whether she really meant to do that or just lost control of her arms. But I have to believe something like that is easier to work on than consistently landing jumps. 

I noticed this in her short program especially, it felt like she was just stumbling between perfect jumps. She's having her moment at the perfect time, and her jump control is amazing (that double axel was almost horizontal, I can't believe she landed it) but her performances made me feel nothing, like, for example, Starr Andrews.

56 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

I like Ashley, but I was stunned when she finished her less-than-perfect program and acted like she had nailed it and she was just so overcome and thrilled. It was clear to me at that point that unless someone (most likely Karen) made a big mistake, she wasn't going to the Olympics again. Unless I misinterpreted what I saw, she singled a triple and two-footed another landing. But she seems to think that if her butt doesn't actually touch the ice, it was a perfect program. Maybe that's her problem. And given those errors, I think her scoring was quite fair--which of the other three girls above her did she think she had deserved to beat?

Exactly. She popped that triple and Tara mentioned she missed out on 4 points because of it. She could have beat Karen if she actually pulled off a flawless performance, but she didn't. I was rooting for Ashley, and yes, I think Bradie was over scored, but IMO, the three best skaters ended up on the podium.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

I like Ashley, but I was stunned when she finished her less-than-perfect program and acted like she had nailed it and she was just so overcome and thrilled. It was clear to me at that point that unless someone (most likely Karen) made a big mistake, she wasn't going to the Olympics again. Unless I misinterpreted what I saw, she singled a triple and two-footed another landing. But she seems to think that if her butt doesn't actually touch the ice, it was a perfect program. Maybe that's her problem. And given those errors, I think her scoring was quite fair--which of the other three girls above her did she think she had deserved to beat?

I was stunned that she thought she nailed it. Usually they know whether or not their program went well. I was surprised that she was so surprised that she didn't nail it. That she was surprised by her score. The other skaters were just better. Their programs were better. I would understand if she was disappointed but it just feels like she should have known that it wasn't a lock.  

• Love 11

It'll be a long month enduring Ashley Veruca Salt-ing her way onto the team. Or trying to, anyway. Be strong, USFS! 

Was it just me, or did Mirai mouth a 'fuck you' right before her music started? I am willing to accept that I'm a bad lip reader...

• Love 5

Was Ashley the one they were talking about who didn't seem to be adding any new skills to her program? Or was that another skater? I kind of think it sums up view of Ashley. Usually skaters add new stuff to their program, new skills especially during an Olympic season. I don't really feel like that's what Ashley does. She kind of sticks with the same stuff.   

• Love 1

The La La Land music isn't memorable (again, IMO)...I doubt anyone would walk out humming any of those tunes. 

Agreed. I thought that movie was awful. Maybe don't make a musical if you don't know how to write music.

And I think she knew they wouldn't name her to the team after being in 4th again. She was getting on top of the story, questioning the judging rather than admitting she just wasn't up to the task.

In a way I can see where she's coming from. She seems to think the judges are withholding higher component scores just to punish her, and maybe they are. She really is a lot more polished a performer than most of the other skaters. That said, she's where she deserves to be. This was entirely on her. If she'd nailed her triple-triple combo in the short and hadn't popped that triple in the long, she's be on the podium, so she has nobody to blame but herself. The math speaks for itself. She shouldn't count on getting bonus points for being a better performer.

I'm happy for Mirai and Karen but realistically the only one who has a shot at the Olympic podium is Bradie. The international judges really nail Mirai on her under-rotations and Karen has been inconsistent all season long. Someone who can go out and deliver as clean a program as Bradie is the one to bank on.   

Was it just me, or did Mirai mouth a 'fuck you' right before her music started? I am willing to accept that I'm a bad lip reader...

I swear to God I thought the same thing!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

Having been subjected several times to Bradie’s SP during the coverage of this nationals, she really reminds me of Kimmie Meissner, in terms of style. Kimmie always looked too stiff during the non-jumping portions of her programs, and Bradie looks the same way.

• Love 3

I finally caught the Dick and Peggy interview. I was a bit apprehensive because I didn’t know what to expect given Dick’s age, but he’s still sharp and articulate, if a bit tentative. Peggy is still elegant and gorgeous. And I agree with them that while the increased athletic prowess in the sport is exciting, a little something has been lost in the artistry. And I must say, the warmth between them and Terry was nice and made me appreciate him - he’s not a skater, he was a basketball player, but he has always been respectful of the sport and lets the real experts shine in the commentaries. The biggest laugh was when they reminisced about covering Rudy Galindo and then cut to him live in the stands and just at that moment Rudy was giving a massive bitch-face to his friend next to him.  

My dream Olympic viewing night would be at Dick’s fabulous NY pad, popping some corn, drinking some wine, and letting the master bitch at the lazy spins and jerky choreography with throwback references dating back a few decades. 

After all of the time they ignored her it is just so nice to see.

Yeah, for the past four years every time they saw Mirai at nationals the tone was very, yeah she was disappointed about the Olympic team snub, she’s still working through it, acceptance is the last stage of grief and she’ll get there eventually, ho hum.

First of all I didn't think the La la land program was that great but at least it wasn't Moulin Rouge again.

Yeah I found both a little lowbrow. I don’t think every routine needs to be to classical music - there are many gorgeous movie scores, and hell, I was delighted with “Turn Down For What.”  But these two in particular always came off as cheesy. And skating to a song about dreamers seems a little on the nose. We get it. You’re a scrappy dreamer.

I liked Starr Andrews. I rolled my eyes a little at her skating to her own singing but she is young, and I remember what it was like to be 17 and thinking I was all that. (And she’s a nice singer.) 

And yeah, I’m with Johnny, Amber Glenn gives me Bobek vibes, looks- and skating-wise. (I loved Bobek’s skating fwiw.) 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

It's Bradie, Mirai, and Karen for the Olympics. If they can hold it together, I think this is actually a potentially stronger team than 2014. I thought Mirai and Karen's free skates last night were great, and while Bradie's isn't that interesting or dynamic, she sure does land those jumps. If you did a shot every time Tara said the word "consistent," you'd be on the floor. 

And if you were already doing a shot every time Terry, Johnny or NBC shoved Tara's Olympic gold medal in our face, your liver would be shot to hell. 

I almost feel that they are still, after all these years, trying to justify Tara winning over Michelle in Nagano. It's as if they know that skating fans still haven't gotten over it, so they feel the need to recognize her achievement. We haven't gotten over it, so just stop.  The more you bring it up, the more the wound opens back up. 

• Love 15

Bradie leaves me cold as our ladies champion--yes she has technical ability with her jumps but she has zero heart and it's kind of off putting, and then we have Mirai and Karen who can jump and have artistry out the wahzoo and I think Mirai at least has a chance at the podium, especially if she can nail that triple axel down--an Olympic bronze medal would be gorgeous :):)

Ashley needs to calm down and truly look at her program--you can't go to the Olympics when you missed a second triple on your combination and  continuously under-rotating your jumps and/or two-footing landings. Plus she had her chance in 2014 and she squandered it.

• Love 13

Regarding Ashley's PCS scores, I think the judges have really just gotten tired of seeing the same programs over and over from her. You could almost feel the whole arena groan at Skate America when she started that Moulin Rouge program AGAIN (also when she started her short program to Hip Hip Chin Chin at Nationals). Then with La La Land, yes the music was different, but her opening sequence was so similar to Moulin Rouge that it was "same old, same old."

Unfortunately, Ashley has said that due to multiple concussions in the past, she has trouble remembering choreography, which explains why she uses the same tried and true sequences. At this point, though, the judges have just seen the same stuff (including the same facial expressions, shoulder shimmies, etc.) over and over and over again, that it's just not exciting or interesting, and comes off as over rehearsed, no matter how much she herself may be feeling excited about the new music. Also, choosing La La Land is a gamble since a lot of people thought the movie was overrated, and using the Emma Stone song as the bulk of the program wasn't a great choice since Emma's not a strong singer (it fits in the movie, but not exactly inspiring for a figure skating program). Then you add in her consistent two-footing and underrotations, and she's just been given so many chances that there was no more benefit of the doubt left to give. (BTW, I say all this as someone who has been rooting for Ashley - I'm just now exhausted from the effort.)

• Love 13

FWIW, in my far from expert opinion, I don’t think Ashley was underscored artistically as much as Bradie was overscored. But Bradie had a big enough lead that it wouldn’t have affected her placement. 

I personally never enjoyed this short program of Ashley’s. I think she over-emotes/performs it, similar to Medvedeva. Even while expressing surprise at her scores, Johnny Weir used the words “over rehearsed”. I wasn’t clear if this was his opinion or a possible explanation for the judges scores,  but I thought it was accurate.  I thought Karen’s sp was much better artistically, and that is who Ashley was really competing against for the final Olympic spot.

Regarding her long program, Ashley must have know she needed to do more or she wouldn’t have changed it.  I think she thought the new program would be better received by the judges than it was. I liked it but I also liked Karen Chen’s as much if not more. Had Ashley skated her lp cleanly, she would have had a better case for the bronze medal, although Ashley more than anyone (except Marai) should know that a bronze medal still wouldn’t have guaranteed her an Olympic spot. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The composers of La La Land have won an Academy Award and a Tony Award for their music.

Yeah, I loved the score to LLL. I especially loved Mia's audition song at the end--I haven't run an audition in a while but I imagine that's become a popular choice for musical auditions (if perhaps a little on the nose).

57 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The composers of La La Land have won an Academy Award and a Tony Award for their music.

I did not like La La Land. It was okay. I did think the music was good. I do love Benj Pasek and Justin Paul a lot.

I was so disappointed at the last pre-olympics US Championships that Mirai was not selected that I never saw the performance she did that I am assuming was some sort of medalist exhibition afterwards where she was crying throughout her performance. That was tough to watch just from the short clip that was shown.

• Love 1

I didn’t think the music from LaLa Land was all that memorable or exceptional either.

Understandably Ashley is dissapointed, just sad she opted to exit with “ I was robbed” refrain.

A lot of what happened was self inflicted, she skate clean and she would have made the team. Never being the most technically difficult program compared to her competitors, she couldn’t afford to give fractions like she did in the short and long.

• Love 5

Re: Bradie being shoved down our throat. They played her full short program during its original broadcast, during pairs’ short, men’s short, and ladies’ long. And while clean, it was nothing special. I’m already tired of this girl, and at this point am actively rooting against her and her airplane arms. Her PCS scores are ridonkulous. No way she should have beat Mirai. I rolled my eyes so hard during the pre-skate fluff pieces when they played her flat voice over of “yeah, I’ve sacrificed a lot for my dream.” Yawn. I would imagine that international judges will not inflate her scores like we saw here, but Zagitova keeps winning, so what do I know?

I am an Ashley fan, but she is being a little ridiculous at this point. We were all watching you miss jumps, honey.

• Love 7

So Bradie is more like Tara Lipinski, all jumps and no style?  

More questions from "I haven't watched figure skating in four years" me.

1.   It sounds like they get more points for doing the jumps with the hands making an O?  I know it's harder.  I seem to vaguely remember at least a few doing it last time.  Now it seems like many do?

2.  That Bielmann spin... do you get a yellow if you can't fully do it?  So many of these girls try to do it but aren't flexible enough to get the leg fully extended over the head.  Do you lose points for an Ugly Semi-Bielmann?

3.  I'm more impressed with the spin with the leg straight up in front and over the head.  I think Karen Chen did it, and Mirai?  I remember Shizuka Arakawa doing it in the Olympics.  Seems a lot harder.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, blackwing said:

So Bradie is more like Tara Lipinski, all jumps and no style?  

1.   It sounds like they get more points for doing the jumps with the hands making an O?  I know it's harder.  I seem to vaguely remember at least a few doing it last time.  Now it seems like many do?

2.  That Bielmann spin... do you get a yellow if you can't fully do it?  So many of these girls try to do it but aren't flexible enough to get the leg fully extended over the head.  Do you lose points for an Ugly Semi-Bielmann?

3.  I'm more impressed with the spin with the leg straight up in front and over the head.  I think Karen Chen did it, and Mirai?  I remember Shizuka Arakawa doing it in the Olympics.  Seems a lot harder.

I only watch figure skating every four years, too.  Your descriptions of what they do with their legs are making my legs hurt, just sitting here. ; ) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

1. It's called a Rippon. Unfortunately, yes, even for ugly ones.

2. I don't think so, yellows are for under-review elements. A lot of spins were marked yellow in the competition, for some reason, probably to check for levels. Ugly positions will get lower GOE, maybe, but a Bielmann, however ugly, if hit recognisably, can probably still be used to get a level 4 layback.

3. Spins aren't graded like this, as far as I am aware. (What you named is an I-spin.)

Edited by fan94

I don't like the spins where the skater throws one let straight up and basically does a split, grabbing their leg.  If you can't do it like Sasha Cohen, don't even try.

It's the HMV spin.

Here's My Vagina.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Man this Pairs Free Skate has been rough going today.

It was, but I have to say there's lots of cool lifts in their programs.  This is the first time I've watched any of the American nationals and have to say it's nice seeing some of the pairs who don't make it on the top tiers to be shown on tv.   Every so often TSN up here in Canada will show all the qualifiers and it's a good opportunity to see the difference between the skill levels of the skaters.   Depending on how long someone follows skating, it also means you get a chance to see some skaters at the beginning of their journeys.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That sure was a mystery to me when I think of all the beautiful musical pieces that have won Oscars over the years. You never hear the music from La La Land on any stations or anywhere else.  It just drones on and on w/o a purpose (or a hook!!)

I have mixed feelings about Ashley. Would Ashley have received higher PCs relative to the field at an international competition, compared to what she received here? Yes (Bradie's PCs in particular were atrocious). But the best analogy that I've read is that the USFS decided that they no longer needed the Ashley Wagner Insurance Policy, as harsh as it sounds. If you look at the Ashley's TES scores in particular, they've been on the decline since Worlds 2016.  She gets higher PCs than the other girls, but it was getting to the point that the gap was negligible. There were warning signs and it wasn't completely surprising to me, starting with Mariah Bell beating Ashley in the long at Skate America last year, the judges giving nationals to Karen Chen last year and coming in 4th at worlds last year, Bradie and Mirai having the highest international US ladies scores this season.  Ashley's PCs could still be enough for her to pull out a medal in a not-so-well skated event like Skate Canada, but there was no longer a big gap between her and the other US ladies this season in terms of scores. The US ladies will not podium anyways tbh, so they went with someone consistent (Bradie), the ingenue (Karen), and the seasoned Veteran (Mirai). 

I also wonder if not competing at events like 4CC or Senior Bs ended up hurting Ashley in the long run. I kept hearing that she was "conserving her energy"-for the bigger events like nationals and worlds-which could be true-you never know how many injuries are going on in the background (ankle, or just back issues from skating so long) , but then she didn't skate all that much better at '17 Worlds and '18 nationals.  Ashley is right about the need for judging to be consistent across the board at nationals, but let's be honest, this always happens at nationals, and Ashley has very often been the beneficiary of some calls/rotation calls at nationals that were gifts. The problem with gifts is that they come to an end.  I do think that the scoring of Karen vs Ashley was interesting here.  Karen seemed to get a BIG PCS boost for being national champion last year and coming in 4th at worlds, that could have ended up making the difference here.  I frankly think that Karen got some very generous calls at worlds and was lucky to come in 4th. Plus, her former choreographer is a very high up USFS official.  In the end, I think the judges banked on Karen's potential and ability to rack up scores with footwork and spins.  I actually liked Ashley's La La Land program, and it's a shame that this happened since it really wasn't a "bomb" of a performance, and she did much worse at nationals four years ago.  But I'm also kind of over her bitching about the judging. She made some good points, but it's just too similar to what she said four years ago at Sochi...

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 5
On 1/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, shoregirl said:

What an entitled brat she comes off like. Not just the quote but the looks in the kiss and cry.  First of all I didn't think the La la land program was that great but at least it wasn't Moulin Rouge again. Second of all skate cleaner than its not an issue. Third of all stop acting like a petulant teenager you are in your midtwenties grow up. I don't even think she should be am alternate why let her bad attitude ruin the others Olympic experience. 

Ashley has ALWAYS come across as bratty and entitled IMO. She is always the first one to toot her own horn, she's always been her biggest cheerleader, she's never been afraid to throw shade at her competitors (or the judges), and she regularly thinks that she's hitting it out of the park even when she's doing average to subpar programs. As early as Nationals 2010, I remember her being demonstrably ticked over her scores in addition to not being happy about stuff like Sasha Cohen making another attempt to be on the Olympic team. 

Ashley has two footed her way through the bulk of her career and has been overmarked (IMO) more times than I can count. Add to that the uninspired choreography most every season, reusing programs and music (I can think of at least four examples of programs being used for more than one season), and the lack of difficulty in comparison to others---I've never understood what all the fuss is about. 

What really gets me is how she has/had a reputation for consistency. In terms of reliability, it was generally reliable that she would two foot or underrotate at least one jump. She has also failed to deliver at two Olympic trial Nationals. The committee was perfectly right in not making her one of the three. The fact that she can't be graceful about being named first alternate speaks volumes about her attitude in general. 

As for Bradie, I agree that she still has maturing to do, but it makes me sad that she's also being criticized for things that have little to nothing to do with her skating. She's blond, she's too thin, she's a Gracie replacement, etc. Also, I don't love the musical choice but she's a teenager at the end of the day, so I'm going to cut her some slack for going the ice princess route. 

I wish Mariah Bell had been clean. She's really grown on me so I hope she stays in the game for another four years.

I'm also curious to see how Starr Andrews progresses in a couple of years. I wasn't wild about the music she chose for either program but she seems like she'll be a lot of fun to watch. I love how much energy she has.

I'm so happy for Mirai and am glad that she got second so that there was no chance she'd get bumped off of the team. I will love it if she hits the axel in South Korea and defies everyone's expectations. I know it's a long shot but I have my fingers crossed. I think she's more graceful than people give her credit for.

I wonder what the assignments will be for the team event? I'm guessing Bradie for the long but can't decide if they'd prefer Mirai or Karen for the short.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

It's been a while since the US has put up a decent pairs team. I can't remember any in my relatively short lifetime. 

Inoue and Baldwin had some success about a decade ago (no world medals, though), but the last time the U.S. had a world medal-winning team was Ina and Zimmerman back in ‘02 (bronze, I think).

Re: Bradie being shoved down our throat.

She is the next best thing according to NBC, but I suspect she will come in 4th at best.  Carolina Kostner always gets super high marks. But I am rooting for Mirai, the ShibSibs and Rippon.  I root for Nathan too, but I don't think he needs it because I think he is a lock for Gold.  :)

I feel for Ashley.  I think she was underscored, and I think she has a right to be pissed off, but wish she was a little less vocal in the press. If she had been scored a little more fairly, I think she would be less angry. I think the behind the scenes people pretty much assured her a spot (I am cynical about politics in the skating world).  I wish she could go to 4 continents and win, just for herself.  But that is unlikely.

• Love 4

Christine Brennan on the Ladies result. She's an Ashley fan, but I pretty much agree with this assessment, particularly with the boosting of Tennell and the "Russianization" of figure skating. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2018/01/06/winter-olympics-ashley-wagner-not-going-pyeongchang/1010584001/

And Phil Hersch, who is a bit less of a fan of Ashley than Brennan is. 

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/06/264361486

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

The other night there was a short bit about the US Championships on NPR's "All Things Considered", and Adam Rippon was featured:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/05/576082602/u-s-figure-skaters-preparing-for-pyeongchang-winter-olympics

You can listen to the story by clicking on the blue arrow button in the upper left, or just read the transcript.

I thought it was interesting how they discussed him "coming out".  It never occurred to me in this day and age that this would be something that would make a statement to young gay men. Shows what I know.

• Love 1

Bradie seems like a sweet girl and she has the jumps, but honestly she bores me to tears on the ice. At least skaters like Mirai and Ashley have a personality out there. Maybe the artistry will come for Bradie on the ice as she matures. Or maybe the artistry just doesn't matter anymore and she'll just jump well enough and have a clean program and actually get on the Olympic podium.

• Love 5

I'm tired of seeing so many quad jumps when it comes to the men. It's great a few can do so many in one program. Watching so many who can't fall so often while attempting takes me out of watching sometimes. 

• Love 7

Twenty years ago I spent the week in Philadelphia at the US National Competition.  We watched every practice and attended every competition.  Two things from that experience:

1.  A woman told us we had ruined ourselves for watching skating on TV.  She was right: it is hard to watch on TV and see how fast they are covering the ice and the skating doesn’t seem nearly as exciting as when we were there.

2.  My sister and I were surprised at how wide the gap was between the top group and the rest of the field.  I find myself thinking about that now as I watch very few in the other groups put together a clean performance.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Well, when this is the alternative quads don't seem so bad...

dancing.gif

Didn't Plushenko do quads? I seem to remember him taunting Lysacek over that. 

I am suddenly a Ross Miner fan. After so much Moulin Rouge and Les Mis, Queen was a very welcome change.

• Love 11