Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Was figure skating always this boring to watch? I flipped on Skate Canada yesterday and found it basically unwatchable. And skaters are still skating to the same old stuff.  The personalities 20-25 years ago were just flat out better.

I don't have a problem with the personalities, but let me offer an explanation: figure skating has become more focused on the athletic part of the sport than on the performative part. They spend too much time practicing jumps. Also, while there are good personalities on and off ice (from what we can tell on kiss and cry, for example), even discussions from the interviewers usually focus on the athletic part. The existence of social media actually kind of relieves the interviewers of this duty -- if a fan likes someone's skating, they can get to know of their personality through Twitter or Instagram. 20-25 years ago, or even 10 years ago, the networks pretty much had a duty to let the people know how a skater behaved off ice -- it is after all an artistic show, and people like to know more about the performers.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Hanyu is out:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2017/11/0c3c3ac5eebe-update1-figure-skating-injured-hanyu-to-pull-out-of-nhk-trophy.html

Interesting how the chips are falling with him, Javi, and Chan. The Olympics may wind up being wide open.

That was a bad looking fall. A few years ago he competed at Cup of China with a head wound. He must be really hurt if he had to withdraw. I really hope he recovers quickly. What is up with this season?

• Love 2

I'm happy Mirai had a good skate.

I was bored by Carolina Kostner years ago. Still bored.

I missed the men's short. Grr! Watched Jason Brown on youtube. Good job. I will look for Adam Rippon's now. Sorry to hear of Hanyu's injury.

Interesting that they have Johnny & Tara calling the programs on the Olympic channel now too. But where is Terry? Did they do the men's short also?

• Love 2

Terry wasn't at Cup of China either. I figured maybe he was skipping the two ISU events of that side of the world, for whatever reason, since they are back to back.

NBC has the NHK recap on at 1:30 pm today. Disappointed by Jason's finish - he had a shot at the podium again, especially with Hanyu pulling out. I love his short routine this year. Rippon must have been on this weekend!

• Love 1

When Virtue and Moir skated out for their short dance, all I could see was Morticia and Gomez Addams of the Addams family.

Evgenia fell today, but still won.  Hmmm--are things about to get more interesting in the ladies field?  Zagitova and Tsurskaya (sp?) are really breathing down her neck.  I had never seen Tsurskaya before and was quite impressed.

11 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I was bored by Carolina Kostner years ago. Still bored.

Preach!

• Love 2

Glad Adam got the Silver for his long program...I think it's gorgeous.  I'm sorry Hanyu is injured, but it was interesting to see how his absence changed the mindset of his other competitors.

Otherwise, yawn on Evegnia and Carolina.  

And good for Mirai for continuing her triple. 

The pairs and ice dancing were...boring.  I like pairs- they are acrobats, but this season I'm not intrigued.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Terry wasn't at Cup of China either. I figured maybe he was skipping the two ISU events of that side of the world, for whatever reason, since they are back to back.

NBC has the NHK recap on at 1:30 pm today. Disappointed by Jason's finish - he had a shot at the podium again, especially with Hanyu pulling out. I love his short routine this year. Rippon must have been on this weekend!

Terry was calling golf on Golf Channel the last two weeks. 

• Love 1

Dear Johnny, when a skater falls, and does not even get injured, that doesn’t qualify as “tragic”.  Devastating to the person involved, perhaps.  But in no way is it tragic.

Edited by Mittengirl

I'm not finding Kostner's skating as transcendent as the judges seem to find it this season.  I understand the judges wanting to reward her with high PCs (though imo her programs aren't particularly special this season, she has lovely qualities, but she's a lot slower than she used to be too), but I thought that Wakaba and Polina should have fairly beaten her at both of her grand prixs, on balance.  Carolina's technical content is just too simple for me to warrant pumping up the easier elements with high GOes, etc., when everyone else is expected to be perfect and have 7 (or 8) triple programs with at least one  lutz and most often two triple triples. Puts a bad taste in my mouth leading up to the grand prix final. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Harry24 said:

What word do you think he actually meant?   I'm at a loss.

I didn't see all the broadcast, so I missed this.  Is it possible he was saying the made up word "gorgeois"?  Like instead of saying gorgeous made the end of word have the zhwa sound?

Who knows!

6 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Kostner has always been boring and overmarked. No one is more overmarked than Medvedva. 

Yep on Medvedeva.

Higuchi FTW at the Olympics, unless Miyahara gets back to her previous form.  Excited for Marin Honda, as she can be the next big thing for Ladies' FS, assuming the judges don't keep pumping up the Russian Ladies. I keep seeing comments about how good Tsurskaya was, and sure she jumps better than Medvedeva, but they and Zagitova have a weird quality to their skating where they simply don't take a breath between elements and it takes away from everything.

EDIT: To be fair, I might enjoy Tsurskaya with a different choreographer. Her technique seems good, and she does seem to take more time on the skating part of the skating than either of the other two. Far, far better, just too many transitions in the middle (eg., notice right before she does the 3L, or her 2A-3T-2T). Another good thing? No Tanos.

Edited by fan94
On November 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Tippi said:

I didn't see all the broadcast, so I missed this.  Is it possible he was saying the made up word "gorgeois"?  Like instead of saying gorgeous made the end of word have the zhwa sound?

Who knows!

No, he definitely said bourgeois. It was followed by a back and forth with Tara about "European skating" so I think he did have a particular meaning in mind, but I didn't understand his point, and have deleted the show off my box so I can't go back and check the actual wording.

• Love 2

Was figure skating always this boring to watch? I flipped on Skate Canada yesterday and found it basically unwatchable. And skaters are still skating to the same old stuff.  The personalities 20-25 years ago were just flat out better.

20-25 years ago we had an epic galaxy of drama and skaters: Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, the little orphan Oksana, the princess in waiting--Michelle Kwan,; Kurt Browning, Elvis, the Brians returning; Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvill and Dean ... we're never going to see THAT again. Most people can't even remember the 1998 winners (besides Michelle losing).  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

20-25 years ago we had an epic galaxy of drama and skaters: Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, the little orphan Oksana, the princess in waiting--Michelle Kwan,; Kurt Browning, Elvis, the Brians returning; Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvill and Dean ... we're never going to see THAT again. Most people can't even remember the 1998 winners (besides Michelle losing).  

Tara Lipinski, followed by Sarah Hughes in 2002.

• Love 1

Good comeback for Javi so far in France. Max Aaron and especially Vincent Zhou far behind.

It baffled me last week when Weir said that he assumed an Olympic spot would be going to Vincent. I like the kid fine, but really over Jason Brown and Adam Rippon? I feel like I just haven't seen it, for the most part.

• Love 7

Re: Weir on Zhou guaranteed a spot, I agree with you Moxie Cat. Zhou certainly seems to be of the "jumping bean" generation that is taking skating by storm nowadays, but he doesn't (AFAIK) have the experience in competing, not to mention refinement and maturity, that both Jason and Adam do.

Glad to hear Javi is having a better go-round this time. Now I just need to find time to watch...

• Love 3
On 11/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, Conotocarious said:

While I don't think the code of points has actively discouraged creativity on the ice, I do think it's created a system where a skater doesn't have to be as interesting on the ice as they used to be as long as they're technically solid. That, and revising the ice dance rulebook to discourage programs like the Duchesnays 'so we're pretending to be magical unicorns on a quest to find the leprechaun' longs. 

There is some fun left just below international podium level. Jason Brown generally has to come up with something extra to try to make up for his lack of a consistent quad, I had a bizarre love for Alina Leonova's mess of a Harley Quinn program from last season, and I think James & Cipres have the It Factor even i they tend to skate a bit sloppy.  

• Love 3

Tara Lipinski, followed by Sarah Hughes in 2002.

Both of whom had long, illustrious careers that added to the sport.  Not.

Although to be fair, Tara had health issues (hips) and she's getting a comeback via her excellent commentary duties.  

• Love 1
On 11/19/2017 at 2:31 PM, HartofDixie said:

Happy that Misha Ge made the podium!

I can't believe I forgot to post this before now, but me too! I've been such a big fan of his for years, it's so exciting that he's finally gotten recognized by the judging panel for his beautiful skating. And in his final GP season, no less. Go Misha!

• Love 2

If he continues to skate so well, I hope Misha reconsiders retirement.  That was just exquisite!  He is currently my runaway favorite of the "no quad squad."  He really reminds me of the skaters of yore - Alexei Yagudin springs to mind, although Alexei was more... muscular (and he had a quad).  Or maybe Paul Wylie, but even more elegant.  It's so impressive he does his own choreography as well.  What a pleasure to watch! 

• Love 2

Just finished watching the Skate America Men's Short program.  Nathan was OUTSTANDING.  It was really funny, though, because Rafael Artunian was sharpening his skate between the warm-up and when he took the ice, and Tara, Johnny, and Terry were speculating as to what was going on, even wondering if it wasn't just a way for deal with Nathan's nerves.

The other big story for me was Adam, who just looked spectacular.  He skated with such confidence and flair and just looked as if he was having a wonderful time.  It was such a pleasure to see him skating so well and enjoying himself so much.  I hope he can keep it together and make the Grand Prix final (and the Olympic team!)

Good for Sergei Voronov, in third place, at the age of thirty.  

I felt horribly for Maxim Kovtun, and wish he would withdraw.  He seems to be very badly injured, and I know it's an Olympic year, but he's still pretty young.  I hope he rehabilitates and comes back stronger than ever.

I wish the Olympic Channel would show the men's short program more than once.  I suppose they'll show Adam and Nathan tomorrow, at least.  

• Love 5

For those like me without the Olympic Channel: NBC is running Skate America highlights on both Saturday and Sunday, 4-6pm EST. With Nathan and Adam both doing so well so far, hopefully one or both shorts will make the Saturday block.

And sigh....our pairs.....

• Love 3

For those like me without the Olympic Channel: NBC is running Skate America highlights on both Saturday and Sunday, 4-6pm EST. With Nathan and Adam both doing so well so far, hopefully one or both shorts will make the Saturday block.

And sigh....our pairs.....

I know ... love Nathan's short and LOVE Adam's long.  Nathan seems like he is GOING FOR THAT OLYMPIC GOLD!  I think they'l show Nathan's short because NBC is banking its Olympic coverage on him.  He seriously is the only legitimate contender for an Olympic gold medal in skating.  

• Love 4

It really is exciting to watch Nathan. Last year I calmly thought, “I like him. He could possibly medal at the Olympics.” Now I’ve transitioned to a crazed “HE REALLY CAN WIN THIS THING!” I have a lot of skaters I adore, and I’d be happy if any of them won too. Nathan has just become such a force lately, and it’s so much fun to watch.

• Love 5

Not only can Nathan win the Olympics, I think he probably will. Assuming he stays fit/healthy/injury-free, nobody can touch him in the quads, and his artistry has improved by leaps and bounds in just one year. The only person who can really challenge him at this point is Hanyu, and Nathan already beat him earlier this season when both had shaky free skates. Plus who knows if Hanyu will recover soon enough to go to the Olympics. 

Adam Rippon is another one I tend to think is over-rated. I get that he's really artistic and connects with the audience but he's sort of like Jason Brown in that respect. He just doesn't have the technical goods to compete with the guys doing all the quads. His one big trick is the quad lutz and I've never seen him land it cleanly. 

• Love 1

I finally got the Olympic channel! I can finally watch ice skating! It was so nice to finally watch. Its been so long. I liked Nathan's shorts program. I didn't think Adam was that good. But I'll wait and see what happens in the free skate. I'm so excited to be able to watch. I hope this means I can watch the gymnastics now too.

• Love 1

Even though I normally prefer the more artistic skaters to the athletic jumpers, I've never cared for Adam Rippon's skating. I couldn't say why, but he's just not one of my faves (and you're right gatopretoNYC, the nightclub music doesn't help). Nathan really has come a long way in his artistry just since last year, and after his SP yesterday I feel he's finally become a well-rounded skater who has more to offer than just jumps. That being said... my fingers are still crossed Jason can make the Olympic team. He's easily my personal fave of the US men.

SophiaD, I'd love it if Misha Ge would reconsider retirement. He's too good to lose!

• Love 1