Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Tiana & James

Man, I missed this show!  That was incredibly trashy. 

My favorite quotes:

"Finally!! We found the 50 year old pervert"

"You're in love with...my baby daddy"

It was also beyond a set-up.  We never take someone along unless they are involved in some way.  I can see Alisha being pissed and not knowing about it, especially if Trax was the one who contacted the show and explained his messed up situation.  That was a crazy reveal.

While I feel bad for Tiana's difficult upbringing, I feel like she makes her problems, like not being able to maintain friendships, worse with her action and self proclaimed "attitude". 

• Love 5

They really trashed that poor "old guy" (who didnt look that old to me, or particularly weird or creepy) and then never explained who he was or how he was related to the whole Trez thing. When the reveal first started and Aisha went off, i thought, that's it--this show has gone to complete fiction, this was clearly scripted. Who knows, though.

• Love 4

It doesn't have to be scripted at all. The person doing the catfishing contacts so all the messiness was on him. It also gave a logical reason for why he kept dodging for a change. The baby mama was always involved. And he had pulled this off with the girl bringing the baby mama, he could have talked his way in while minimizing the drama for a little while. Of course, if production hears this story, they are jumping on it. They don't have to write anything. They can let the trashiness come to them.

• Love 1

Tiana didn't know anything about the show, she didn't even know which was Max & which was Nev, so I doubt she was the one who contacted the show. That leaves either Aisha or Trez, & my vote goes to Aisha. I think she found out that Trez was talking to Tiana & decided to get her revenge by putting them on the show. Tiana was also an idiot. If a guy tells you he doesn't like or want kids, & you decide to keep the fact that you're a mother from him because you think that if he loves you he'll love your kid, you are risk of putting your child in a seriously bad situation. 

• Love 8

Tiana didn't know anything about the show, she didn't even know which was Max & which was Nev, so I doubt she was the one who contacted the show. That leaves either Aisha or Trez, & my vote goes to Aisha. I think she found out that Trez was talking to Tiana & decided to get her revenge by putting them on the show. Tiana was also an idiot. If a guy tells you he doesn't like or want kids, & you decide to keep the fact that you're a mother from him because you think that if he loves you he'll love your kid, you are risk of putting your child in a seriously bad situation. 

Absolutely!  For me, the giveaway was driving up...and she acted like she kinda recalled the place, and some 'friend' whose bebbydaddy also worked there:  She knew damned well who worked there!  Also didn't make sense why she seemed to always be on the previous meet attempts - that just seemed weird.

Max was cracking my stuff up this episode. 

• Love 2

They really trashed that poor "old guy" (who didnt look that old to me, or particularly weird or creepy) and then never explained who he was or how he was related to the whole Trez thing. When the reveal first started and Aisha went off, i thought, that's it--this show has gone to complete fiction, this was clearly scripted. Who knows, though.

I felt bad for that guy! He looked like an average middle-aged guy - not creepy at all.

I thought the real guy was way better-looking than the one he was pretending to be. Eight kids though? I feel really classist saying that, but ... eight kids though? And it was sad that the girls' friendship ended over this mess.

• Love 4

I felt bad for that guy! He looked like an average middle-aged guy - not creepy at all.

I thought the real guy was way better-looking than the one he was pretending to be. Eight kids though? I feel really classist saying that, but ... eight kids though? And it was sad that the girls' friendship ended over this mess.

I thought the same thing!  And Miss T. was all, "No, uh-uh, you ain't the guy in the pictures..."  Psh.  Girl, you should be GLAD he doesn't look like that guy! 

I thought he said that he had 8 kids total, both "biological and non-biological," which...what?  However, didn't Aisha say that he sort of looks after her other 3 kids, even though he's not the babydaddy?  Maybe that's what he meant, but that's still 4 kids unaccounted for.  It's all very confusing.  I think I need a flowchart or a table or something.

• Love 5

What was Nev doing asking the catfish "can we meet up tomorrow?" without first finding out if he really lived where he said he did? Supposedly they didn't know anything about the guy except that he wasn't the person in the pictures, and it would hardly be the first time that a catfish had lied about his location.

1. I hope that poor knock-off Rob Corddry dude got compensated for being mocked on national TV after literally having nothing to do with these kids and their trashy drama.

2. That baby may have a stupid name, but godDAMN was she cute. She looked like a baby Brandi.

3. I am not a crackpot, but TV Producers should have the right to rip the false eyelashes off of every bitch who doesn't know how to apply them properly.

• Love 7

One more thing...I was giving Aisha the benefit of the doubt when she said she didn't see it coming, until I remembered that she still supposedly talks to Trez, right? And he's a mechanic, right!? What are the chances that these two "best friends" are both dating/used to date mechanics and they never had a conversation about what a weird coincidence that was?

• Love 4

uhhh how do they use a photo of that other guy, call  him a 50 year old perv and get away with it? I'm assuming he's a real guy, has done nothing to anyone to deserve this so how do they get away with it?

I laughed so hard a few times during this ep loudest when someone said to Tianna "dude, it's a DUCK!"

• Love 4

"The photo Tiana showed them is, duh, not any James who fixes cars in North Carolina: it's the thumbnail shot on several videos by a rap artist named Klassified Tipsytwist, which by the way, I know is not what the episode is about, but maybe pick one or the other of those dumb names and don't try to rock both."

I almost gagged on my popcorn from trying to not laugh so hard....

• Love 3

uhhh how do they use a photo of that other guy, call  him a 50 year old perv and get away with it? I'm assuming he's a real guy, has done nothing to anyone to deserve this so how do they get away with it?

This answer and many more in the Previously.TV post on the episode! Check it out!

• Love 3

*sigh* I just love the total and unassailable trashiness of this silly show.  And I miss it when it's gone.  I love Max, I love Nev and I love all of the unidentified camera people scurrying around in the background, trying so hard not to be caught on film.  

I missed the end, did they say when the new season will be on?

• Love 4

Here's what I need very badly to understand: Klassified Tipsytwist.

This name was surely generated from a Facebook game where you put in the last thing you read in a newspaper, then your current state of inebriation, then like, your favorite 1950s-era dance... and that's your rap name.

Which is how I'm now known as LIfestyles BuzzBop.

• Love 10

I should put in my user name here. I put in "Kristin" and it spit out Kris Ten.

I wonder if the mystery baby (of the horrible, huge tattoo and the awful weird name) from one of the recent episode could get folded in to this bunch. The catfish victim could go along too.

It doesn't have to be scripted at all.

Truth is always stranger than fiction. Like, not even the most creative and imaginative writer could dream up these people's names.

Eight kids though? I feel really classist saying that, but ... eight kids though?

I don't! It's appalling.

• Love 1

1. I hope that poor knock-off Rob Corddry dude got compensated for being mocked on national TV after literally having nothing to do with these kids and their trashy drama.

And being accused of being a creepy pervert, to boot.  Jesus.

Aside from that I actually enjoyed this episode.  It almost seemed like a return to first season Catfish - really naive codfish, MySpace (!), secret children, friendships destroyed, etc.  

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Aisha said that the guy she's dating now is her youngest daughter's father - the father of the little girl who played with Journi at to indoor playground. She said Trez was her SON'S father, so I don't think she was ever implying that they were an item and if maybe makes it slightly more believable that Tiana wouldn't know him.

• Love 2

I hope that poor knock-off Rob Corddry dude got compensated for being mocked on national TV after literally having nothing to do with these kids and their trashy drama.

I'm almost certain the picture was of an actor I've seen before, so I think a small payment would have been in order for using his image, but Nev and Max could mock him for free.

• Love 1

I've always heard that the producers do all of the legwork beforehand and know who everybody is, but they made it so obvious when Nev suggested that Aisha come to the meet. They were setting her up so badly, and made it out to be such a great idea that the best friend tag along.

Also, it bothered me that Trez told Tiana that he could still be with her and help her with her daughter, when he has "8-ish" kids of his own, and even admitted he doesn't really like kids. Could she be that dumb? He's an asshole. Run.

• Love 5

The one thing I don't understand about these chicks...whoever the hell the dude is, why would you entertain the thought of being with a person with eight damn kids??

Do you know how many bikes that is to put together at Christmas? How many baby momma calling your house talking about "where he at?". She's just dooming herself to a life of runny spinach dip at Applebee's.

• Love 10
(edited)

How many baby momma calling your house talking about "where he at?".

Unless you have a truly fucked up family you likely can get some family help with your kids.  But being chained for life to contact with all these other women who aren't likely to ever become friends seems like the real nightmare to me.  The only way it could turn out well would be if all the baby mommas joined forces to help each other out and ganged up against the guy.  That hardly ever happens and it sure ain't happening for the people we saw on this episode.

ETA: spelling is everyone's friend.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

So from reading Tara's recap, (Thanks, Tara, parts of it made me laugh!) it seems like old pervy white dude (who I thought was neither old, nor pervy looking, -- can't disagree with the white part though) could have just been a lookalike stock photo ... What about the profile pic though?  Was it just a huge coincidence that this James Sloan guy used to have Daffy duck on MySpace and now has a duck on Facebook?  Or was the James Sloan on MySpace the same James Sloan from Facebook and Trez was using him as a front the whole time?

I think I've confused myself, and I'm putting way too much thought into this.

James Sloan = name Trez gave Tiana

Klassified TipsyTwist (snerk.) = the pictures Trez used when he was being 'James'

James Sloan from Facebook = Probably just some random guy whose name Trez 'borrowed' that had nothing to do with any of this

In the beginning did they say Nev was celebrating his 50th birthday?  Obviously that's not true, was there a joke I missed?

What keeps on rattling around in my head is that Tiana didn't really know which one was Nev and which one was Max.  She stated she had only watched her first episode the night before.  So why in the world would she email Nev asking for his help in figuring out if her "first true love" was a catfish?

Say what???

My guess is that either Aisha or Trex made the call.

So, what would be the motive or the end-game?

Aisha - wanted to expose her baby-daddy's (God, how I hate that expression!) deception.  In that case, Tiana's concerns were totally legit - that Aisha was in on it.

Trez - wanted the farce to end and to actually have a relationship with Tiana.

8 children?  WTF?!!! Why state that some were biological and other's weren't - why not state 'only' 4 were biological?  Or whatever.

I'm so glad the only children I had were when I was married and I don't have baby-daddies.  It's just too darn confusing.

• Love 1

If I had been Tiana's friend, and she was stuck on a guy who kept standing her up like that, I would want to get to the bottom of it so the drama would end, and she would shut up about it and move on. So to me, that's enough motive for Aisha to contact the show, but of course it's always possible she did know it was Trex. I tend to think her outburst an shock was sincere, but maybe she's just an actress.

Trex could also have thought the show would be an opportunity to clear the air. I mean, who knows what he or any of them really thought? Why would any of the people who contact the show do it? Or agree to participate if someone else did it? Why would anyone, for that matter, be in one of these situations to begin with?

I don't think everyday logic can apply because the situation is always crazy to begin with.

I've always heard that the producers do all of the legwork beforehand and know who everybody is, but they made it so obvious when Nev suggested that Aisha come to the meet. They were setting her up so badly, and made it out to be such a great idea that the best friend tag along.

I agree. I wasn't paying much attention to the episode, and maybe I was influenced by having read some of the comments here before watching it, but I noticed how Nev (& Max? I didn't look who was talking) made comments about the friend knowing the situation even better than the sister, and so on. Obviously the producers told the guys to make sure to insert the friend into the story.

The whole "50-y-o pervert stock photo guy" scene felt weird and contrived to me. The guys saying that this pervert was talking to "this 21-y-o girl"... OK, an older man pretending to be a young guy is maybe creepy, but Tiana is an adult, even though she seemed more like 14 because she was that stupid. Also, most viewers don't know that the pictures they show are stock photos/actors, so I'm sure many viewers, just like posters here, were left to wonder why the show would insult someone who had nothing to do with it.

• Love 6
(edited)

One of the first episodes where I was SURE it wasn't going to end up being a fat chick. My initial theory was Aisha as Catfish, then I switched over to Aisha's babydaddy. I knew it had to be something involving Aisha with all the time they were spending showcasing her (and the previews). I would naturally assume that Aisha and Not-the-Real-Twizzlesticks set it up, but three years is a long time...

Some weird things:

1) The catfishee was more abhorrent than the catfisher for once. Not mentioning your child for three years because he hates kids? I have a feeling she would have abandoned little Journee in a heartbeat if Swizzlesticks had asked her to move in with him. Also, yes she was annoyingly dumb. "That's not a duck, its, like, a bird." UGH. The stupid is strong with this one. Also IMO Catfisher had a lot more going for him than catfishee- gainfully employed, better looking, etc. (I'm ignoring the part where he's the deadbeat dad to a football team of biological and non-biological children because I can't wrap my head around how that's even possible.)

2) This dude saw her at a party and talked to her for three years made plans for marriage, etc. With no plans of fooling around with her? I kind of don't get that.

3) Ironically if he had shown her his real face she would've had no clue who he was. Apparently she didn't know what her best friend's babydaddy looked like. I get that she may have shown Aisha the pictures, but...

4) Aisha caused more drama than the catfishee. She was like the focus of the reveal. I feel like Nev/Max almost reminded her- hey this happened to TIANA. You are not the catfishee.

5) What was up with the matching names/matching duck pictures? Are the producers just throwing in red herrings now?

6) When Aisha kept saying some guy from the radio worked there and to keep an open mind I totally thought it was going to be her again.

There is more to this story than meets the eye...

Edited by Granimal
(edited)

Eight kids, LOL, no wonder he said he hates kids - he had more than enough! I just can't believe the girls aren't speaking even though none of them ended up with him!

Tiana should have confronted him about the lies and not showing up . Next, if Tiana was an average, caring-about-her-only-friend person, she'd firstly talk to Aisha and see if it's okay to try to find out if there's a potential thing with him (if all those kids didn't turn her away and made her run for her life). Then and only after that, she could have thought about being in a relationship with him.

I think it was her own fault that she lost a friend and a potential partner (with eight kids, how can that make him even the slightest bit potential,? but in general).

And I don't care if it was staged or not, I laughed when Aisha realized and yelled that it was her baby daddy!!

Edited by EuropeanGirl