Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Perfect Match

• Start Topic

I had a feeling Rue would be the one leaving when she had the first talking head not related to a particular scene in the show. I liked the opening challenge - it was about food and talking about food.  It seems like the contestants do better when they have no preparation than when they have to time to think about it for awhile.  Dom sure is a creep.

Bobby Flay asked mumble mouth Aaron McCargo (Season 4) what a chipotle pepper was and he had no idea, yet he won that year. Knowledge of ingredients doesn't seem to be a high priority in choosing the winner.

• Love 1

Arnold is a snotty little guy, isn't he?  He felt he was too good to be paired with a "home cook." Granted it was annoying Michelle, but still, who is to think he is too good for someone else?

I think Arnold was more than justified in being scared of being paired with a home cook.  As he said, when you are cooking in a restaurant kitchen, it's better to be paired with someone who's worked on in one before. Also, Michelle herself has said that she's not good at pushing out tons of dishes at a time because she's a home cook - another big minus for your partner in this challenge.

Also props to Delewar upthread for highlighting Rue dumping Dom. It's really interesting that someone who's food has been shown to be praised often was dumped so quickly by Rue ...

• Love 2

As a to-date Dom fan, he disappointed last night.  I think Michelle purposely set him up (sabotage seems too strong of a word but, yes) in the presentation but he was being so childish. Ugh. I felt like she had her justification speech - as well as her walk-out - all prepared for the stew room cameras.  Had I had my own Dial, Dom would've been doomed & Micelle would've been uber-doomed.  Either of them should've gone home; definitely not Rue.

As if Giada's shark teeth weren't enough, now we have two sets; thanks, Emilia.  Half way through the episode, I had to start looking away when she was onscreen.  I find her so off-putting and unrelatable.  (Emilia, that is.  Though the same could be said for Giada, now that I think about it.)

• Love 1

Props to the poster who noted how differently Emillia is styled in her confessionals compared to during competition. Her competition makeup really does scream "Look at my smile!"

It"s unfortunate because it detracts from those great cheekbones. 

I totally get Rue dumping Dom for Arnold as well as Michelle taking charge of the presentation.  Time and time again we have seen that yes, Dom can cook, but in the end he is totally uncomfortable with speaking before an audience and presenting what he made.  The contestants don't want anything to do with him b/c they know this is a competition where yes, cooking matters, but so does being able to talk in front of people and not freeze up.  Dom is a sinking ship when it comes to that part and nobody wants to be in the bottom w/ Dom week after week b/c of that fact.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well...

As a well seasoned (unlike Arnold and Rue's dishes) viewer of this show, I have come to the conclusion that Rue going home ahead of Dom and Michelle was absolutely an off camera producer's decision. 

I followed Alton Brown on twitter last season, and whenever something odd like this happened, he would respond to the twitter question of "WHY IS [chump] STILL HERE?!" with a post-it twitter response of "The producers love her."

So while Bobby did throw in a comment about Rue being seemingly a good contestant except for the part where she made them something they really liked, and Giada saying something nice about Dom every week, I don't think either one of them had the final say in the way this episode ended.  From a producer of THIS SHOW, it makes the most sense to keep the two people who created a lot of drama this week if at all possible.  And Rue made it possible.  (And Arnold helped himself in this producer driven scenario I am proposing by getting all weepy.)

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

For me, Eddie has the best balance of good food, good personality, and the potential to be developed as a concept and "produced" quickly to get a show on the air.  The food truck experience shows some flexibility with space & timing and he doesn't seem to have any obvious bad habits/annoyances that will need to be counteracted. 

He's not an obvious "STAH", but I think he's got the most potential to be one. 

• Love 7

I wish Tuschie and Susie were more present on the show.  I still miss them and their take on things.  I think they are still behind the scenes calling the shots and that's why some of the decisions seem to make no sense anymore.  It made more sense we could see Susie saying "This person has more potential/more solid POV/etc."  Somehow that doesn't come across as well through the mouths of Bobby and Giada, in my opinion.  That said, not that I am a fan of hers but I thought Anne Burrell was GREAT as a judge on this show.  I liked her direct, no nonsense style, although I am still in disbelief over her comment about Dom being sweet and gentle or whatever nonsense she said.

• Love 4
(edited)

That said, not that I am a fan of hers but I thought Anne Burrell was GREAT as a judge on this show.  I liked her direct, no nonsense style, although I am still in disbelief over her comment about Dom being sweet and gentle or whatever nonsense she said.

In my opinion, that was just editing hocus pocus to portray the producer decision to keep Dom and Michelle as backed up by things said by the judges.

I seriously doubt that there was not a discussion about Dom's hideous presentation during the judging.  But we didn't see any of it, because it wouldn't support the story we were about to see when they eliminated Rue because Dom and Michelle are more interesting to keep around for this show. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Bobby Flay asked mumble mouth Aaron McCargo (Season 4) what a chipotle pepper was and he had no idea, yet he won that year.

In Big Daddy's defense though, Bobby probably actually asked him what a "chipoltalay" was. So, you know, technically.... (Heh.)

Quote of the week goes to Michelle, responding to Dom's "You didn't let me talk!" hissy fit:

"Well I'm sorry that your vocabulary isn't (um...) that excelled... that you can't (um...) make up your own things."

Awesome. Just an outstanding retort. I absolutely adore everything about that sentence.

This episode would have been a whole lot more amusing (and by that I mean cringeworthy) last year with Lenny, and if the sponsorship deal had been with FarmersOnly dot com instead. (WARNING: Might not wanna think too hard about that though. Just sayin'. Sorry for even bringing it up.)

• Love 10

As does Eddie. Owning a food truck doesn't translate into getting a show on FN. Chris Hodges was on this show and the Food Truck show with Tyler... didn't get far in either.

They keep bringing certain types of contestants on the show just to flirt with them and create interesting variety for this show, I think.  Like the food truck guy or the snooty gourmet/French culinary school educated woman or the Middle Eastern mama or the Guido-esque down-home red sauce making Italian guy or the barbecue guys, or the big sloppy heavy guys who might be a combination of that and BBQ, or even the totally exotic never-done-before one like Rue's POV that don't stand a chance of getting on TV.  The food truck gimmick is just another one of those, I think.  They act like they're interested in it as a "new angle" but they never seem to win.

Two things standing out

- Arnold should be gone. He has not made one good dish and I don't see him as an authority on food or cooking at all. No redeeming qualities in him so I'm not sure how he is still there. Rue's potential was way higher than his.

- While I appreciate Giada's appearance and how good she's looking, I watch this with my 4 and 6 year old girls who love Food network, and don't need them seeing half naked hosts. The first outfit showed her entire stomach and the third she was basically topless. It's a little awkward when my daughters comment.

• Love 7

Some thoughts. 

The anecdote about Alton's tweets says, to me, that he did not get along with the producers and that is why he is not there this season.  Too bad, I like him and the contribution he makes.  

BUT, they are looking for someone for their network and it makes sense to me that Bob and Susie would, of course, get to have control over who wins.  This year that is a mute point though.  They ARE going to choose who they want.  Lenny changed the rules. 

I think the reason Rue chose to change is because she, like the others, know the Dom that we saw last night.  The Staten  Island pushy, know it all.  I would not be surprised to hear no one wants to partner with him.  

• Love 2

I wish Tuschie and Susie were more present on the show.  I still miss them and their take on things.  I think they are still behind the scenes calling the shots and that's why some of the decisions seem to make no sense anymore.  It made more sense we could see Susie saying "This person has more potential/more solid POV/etc."

Oh no doubt that Tusch and Susie watch the dailies and then have a conference call at the big glowing vagina and that's how we get our exiting contestant.

The fact that Michelle storming out saying she quits then coming back w/ her tail b/t her legs being brought up at all by the judges speaks volumes.  I wonder if she really did intend to quit and the producers informed her outside that by breaking her contestant contract that she would be in violation and all other kinds of trouble.

I forgot to mention that I did enjoy Emilia's sly slam bringing up "hashtag" but I am tired of all her stories tying into her brother, wtf?!

• Love 1

The fact that Michelle storming out saying she quits then coming back w/ her tail b/t her legs being brought up at all by the judges speaks volumes. I wonder if she really did intend to quit and the producers informed her outside that by breaking her contestant contract that she would be in violation and all other kinds of trouble.

Yep, if there was ever any doubt that the judges didn't know what was going on behind the scenes, this broke that fourth wall.

(edited)

Giada is barely qualified to be a judge.  Her only three interests are seeing that her favorite boys get through to the next week, sitting beside Bobby and trying to act disinterested, and wearing as little as possible on camera.  To add insult to her job, she only stabs a teeny tiny taste of the food onto one tine of her fork (lest -- God forbid!) she should gain an ounce!  No one can judge a plate of food based on one little nibble.  It's past time to retire her.

I still like Dom.  He's had a couple of bad weeks, but at least he keeps me awake, which is more than I can say about some of the contestants.  He also gives some of the show's best chuckles.  Michelle disappointed me this week with her drama.  Does she have a "queen of the hop" complex?  Rue has bored me, so I wasn't sad to see her go, but I did feel that she was sacrificed so the judges could take one last look at Dom and Michelle.  Alex is a little too cerebral for me.  I still like Eddie very much.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

So according to many posting here, the only reason Giada would want to keep someone is because they're good looking, Italian men that she wants to sleep with?

Lol, wow. Ok

• Love 5

So according to many posting here, the only reason Giada would want to keep someone is because they're good looking, Italian men that she wants to sleep with?

Lol, wow. Ok

Everyone has an opinion, and snark is always welcome here.

• Love 8

I'm still not sure why Dom even signed up for this. He clearly hates being on camera and talking in front of people, and whether he can cook or not, that's kind of the #1 qualification for this show.

Lol, wow. Ok

I wouldn't say this for sure, but her track record of championing decent to good looking Italian men who probably should have been eliminated much sooner doesn't help discourage that image.

• Love 8

I wouldn't say this for sure, but her track record of championing decent to good looking Italian men who probably should have been eliminated much sooner doesn't help discourage that image.

Eliminated much sooner according to who? Dom is one of the only good cooks this season. To me that's more important and it's worth it to give him as much time as they can to improve. It's not like any total packages have been axed before him.

Last year Luca earned his spot in the finale after too early an exit. He proved to be a very good finalist.

• Love 2
(edited)

WTH was Giada wearing in the first sequence? She seems to be on a rotation of which area of her body she wants to show off during the show. Legs, midriff, boobs. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Ha! When it was time for the lighted vagina table, we both said, "oh, wait, she hasn't shown cleavage yet. Bet that's up next." Were not disappointed. I'm not one to judge someone for wearing whatever the heck they want, but could someone just suggest to Jah-dah's wardrobe consultant that sometimes subtlety can be really hawt, too?

Well, whatever, fun new drinking game. Guess the order in which Jah-dah's body parts will be on display. Double shot if two parts are exposed at once.

The sandwich guy -- is he the sandwich guy or the Asian cuisine guy or the Asian sandwich guy? I don't get him

I know! "I love sandwiches!" "I love five spice!" Who the hell loves five spice? Seriously, bro, just go audition for a Sam Adams commercial, OK? You'll fit in really well with the douchey McHipsters and I won't have to listen to your bullsh*t.

Dang, was I interested in learning about South African cuisine. I've been to Somali and Ethopian restaurants and I was really interested to see how they'd compare to South African. Oh well. I guess that's what Google is for.

How is it possible for something like "Spice Class" to sound awful? Oh, I know, maybe because the hostess would wear her hair in a severe bun  and lecture with a stick up her arse and somehow, even while proclaiming to LOVE spices and find JOY and EXCITEMENT in them, manage to evoke the exact opposite feelings in her viewers? No, no, no, do not make me go to spice class with the scary teacher!!

I am so sick and tired of "grilling" as a point of view. It's not hard, especially if you have a state of the art indoor grill set up as they do. Marinade, plop on grill, turn, serve. Genius, I tell you!

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 2

While Michelle is really just a slightly better than average home cook. She said that she'd never used habaneros because her kids don't like spice. So FN would consider giving a show to someone who only cooks food that would appeal to children?

This.  We already have a Ree Drummond.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think we should also note Giada's record of not liking attractive female contestants, who might offer her competition for the eyes of male viewers. (Or judges?) Rue was young and cute, so between Rue and Momma Michelle, who would Giada rather see leave the show?

Not saying that women always relate to other women on that level (don't want to get in trouble with the PC Police). But regarding Giada, it's something that a number of people have commented on over the years. And this year, in particular, Giada's outfit seem to be screaming "Look at me!"

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Excellent point, Rick Kitchen. 

Either he's got a strange love for a pretty under celebrated veggie, or he was being crafty.  They were probably asked either before casting or before this episode to list favorite ingredients.  And Arnold is pretty savvy about reality TV, he knows they'll pop up in a challenge somewhere.  But not knowing what kind of challenge or environment, a turnip is pretty generic and can be used in almost every type of dish, in almost any preparation.  I think he was being crafty.  

• Love 3

I am glad to see a good performance from Emilia last night.  For me, she has been the strongest female contestant this season.  A finale of her, Eddie and Jay would be great.

I can see Dom getting a redemption next week after Bobby's threat to him.  Hopefully Arnold will be the next one out.  His not so nice attitude paired with his not so great food, should have him out of there.

Excellent point, Rick Kitchen. 

Either he's got a strange love for a pretty under celebrated veggie, or he was being crafty.  They were probably asked either before casting or before this episode to list favorite ingredients.  And Arnold is pretty savvy about reality TV, he knows they'll pop up in a challenge somewhere.  But not knowing what kind of challenge or environment, a turnip is pretty generic and can be used in almost every type of dish, in almost any preparation.  I think he was being crafty.  

I'll go with crafty as well. He also knew that it is an ingredient few of his future competitors would be prepared to handle. "What's the grill guy going to do with that!?"

• Love 1

I'm curious if Africans refer to the southern part of the continent as "South Africa" after noticing that Rue would bounce between "South Africa" and "southern Africa." Her bio on FN's website says she cooks southern African.  I am interested in her food, but I realize she has not done well at actually expressing details on the cuisine(s).

I completely understood Arnold's concern about working with a home cook in a professional kitchen.  It doesn't help that Michelle keeps coming across as both condescending and passive aggressive.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am surprised Rue went home. Not necessarily because I thought she would be there till the end. I just thought there are a couple of contestants that would get the heave ho before her.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1
(edited)

While Michelle is really just a slightly better than average home cook. She said that she'd never used habaneros because her kids don't like spice. So FN would consider giving a show to someone who only cooks food that would appeal to children?

This.  We already have a Ree Drummond.

Far be it from me to defend Ree, but she does at least spice it up when it comes to her foods b/c as we know, she is out there cooking for cowboys.

What I found appalling about Michelle and the habaneros was that yes, she might never have used nor tasted one, I haven't either to be honest, but on some show on FN, I think it was this show a few seasons back when they did their Iron Chef challenge, the contestant tasted each pepper to see how hot each one was. I believe Alton Brown even applauded the contestant for doing said thing. I was more pissed that Michelle was angry that the chefs dinged her b/c she didn't use the pepper to properly to it's namesake, she just went off what the football player, the person trying to beat her in a competition, said. I was shocked that each contestant during the favorite ingredient challenge was helping each other out by giving them tips, except for Rue that is.

Edited by CMH1981

I was just grateful that hair was pulled back in the kitchen instead of hanging in the soup, so to speak.  As you can see, my needs are simple.  Emilia looked the part of a professional chef with her hair all back in a bun.

I'm not giving anything away by saying they could swap out Alex G and Jeff Mauro, currently judging Star Salvation, for Giada & Bobby, and the mothership would be vastly improved.

Do they really not realize after all these seasons how ridiculed the vagina table is?

• Love 3

The teeth!  My eyes!  My eyes!  

The only time in the world I would strongly suggest sometime dial down the brightness - it is unwatchable and I cringe every time the woman smiles.

I don't remember this feature when I first watched her probably about 10 years ago - and, where did the rest of her go?  Size 0?  

The manufactured drama was painful to watch - and, stupid.

(edited)

I'm curious if Africans refer to the southern part of the continent as "South Africa" after noticing that Rue would bounce between "South Africa" and "southern Africa." Her bio on FN's website says she cooks southern African.  I am interested in her food, but I realize she has not done well at actually expressing details on the cuisine(s).

Actually, in her intro on the show she said she was from Zimbabwe, which borders South Africa and has a similar colonial history. (It used to be called Rhodesia). I think she decided that not many people in the US are familiar with her native country, so she broadened her POV to "southern Africa" rather than refer to a specific country. But it did sound like sometimes she would say South Africa, maybe because she figured there would be a bigger recognition factor.

I think that she was interesting because she actually did come from another country, as opposed to Alex or Emilia or other U.S. contestants who claim to have absorbed global food cultures. I believe there is a difference. If Bobby and Giada are really "mentors" they should have worked with her and given specific guidance as to how she could communicate more clearly about her food. But probably the bottom line is that they believed "southern African" cuisine had too limited an appeal. It was interesting enough to get her on the show, but in reality she was never a serious contender.  

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Alex appears to be fairly intelligent but lacking in any sort of common sense in playing this "contest."  Clearly, he's traveled and learned a lot, but he seems so focused on trying to show the world how much he knows that he's losing sight of the task at hand.  His presentation was appalling.  Instead of sharing time with his partner, he spent most of it talking about Asian ingredients.  What was he trying to prove?  This is the second time he's done this.  He not only ruined his own chances at winning but his partner's as well.  IMHO, it's time to steer him to the door.

Actually, in her intro on the show she said she was from Zimbabwe, which borders South Africa and has a similar colonial history. (It used to be called Rhodesia). I think she decided that not many people in the US are familiar with her native country, so she broadened her POV to "southern Africa" rather than refer to a specific country. But it did sound like sometimes she would say South Africa, maybe because she figured there would be a bigger recognition factor.

I think that she was interesting because she actually did come from another country, as opposed to Alex or Emilia or other U.S. contestants who claim to have absorbed global food cultures. I believe there is a difference. If Bobby and Giada are really "mentors" they should have worked with her and given specific guidance as to how she could communicate more clearly about her food. But probably the bottom line is that they believed "southern African" cuisine had too limited an appeal. It was interesting enough to get her on the show, but in reality she was never a serious contender.  

Plus, it's not like the colonialists made borders align with ethnic territories.  I could have sworn she also mentioned food from a country other than Zimbabwe (Botswana, maybe?), but I'll admit that may have been wishful thinking!

Your post reminded me of another reason I would have liked Rue to continue on.  I don't mind when chefs compare ingredients and end products to something familiar to their audience, but I often find the "with a twist" or "Country's take on X" to be insulting and/or colonizing.  

• Love 1
(edited)

What the hell does Giada have on? This is getting so ridiculous and laughable.

All I could think of was Judge Judy saying: "Where did you think you were coming today, the beach?" Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 3

The thing about five spice is that star anise is kind of the key ingredient in it, and even if you can't name a single other component, if you're calling five spice your favorite ingredient, you should know right off the top of your head that it contains star anise. The other ingredients can vary somewhat, but I don't think I've ever seen a five spice blend that didn't include star anise. Alex just looked foolish for not even being able to name that one ingredient.

I understand why they sent Rue home--she had multiple opportunities to get her POV across and just never quite succeeded in doing so. But she was one of the few contestants who even had the potential to interest me, and with her gone, my interest in the outcome of the competition has gone from not much to just about none. Emilia's blog is sort of amusing, and if she brought some of that snarky wit to a show, she could be worth watching, though she doesn't seem to be an especially great cook. And Eddie is still very appealing--I'd watch him. The rest of them are forgettable at best. Not that previous seasons have been filled with exceptional talent or anything, but I'm still a little surprised by how mediocre this batch is.

• Love 2
(edited)

All I could think of was Judge Judy saying: "Where did you think you were coming today, the beach?"

More like a singles bar.  We all have personal issues and dramas and can react poorly to them, but it's embarrassing when it plays out on national TV.  

While watching last night, I found myself wishing Alex would get booted next.  I can't put my finger on it but he bugs the shit out of me.  I can't stand Mommy Michelle (she reminds me WAY too much of Melissa "Mommy Mommy Mommy No Professional Experience") and think Dom deserves to go for cowering off stage (in addition to being whiny) but I still want Alex to go over them.  He's bland, has a stupid POV and seems a bit of a doofus, none of which tops the problems with Michelle and Dom yet I still want him gone.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 3

Anne talked all over Michelle when she was trying to talk about what happened. I wanted to slap Anne for that.

Personally, I liked it. In my view, she was shutting down Michelle's excuses (however valid) with "be a grownup and own the loss." Nothing bugs me so much as people blaming each other for screwing up a joint project. That's fine for the friends and family - but professionally I think it does more to harm your professional image than help it.

I loved the fact that this discussion, with Bobby chiming in, basically acknowledged that the current stars are not necessarily chummy, no matter what it looks like on camera.

• Love 3

Clearly, he's traveled and learned a lot, but he seems so focused on trying to show the world how much he knows that he's losing sight of the task at hand.

To me, he's coming off as the stereotypical young, hipster foodie that took a trip, had a culinary "epiphany" about the culture and now is trying to make it a part of his "soul".  Next year it will be another trend or another country/culture that "transforms" his life and informs his cooking.  

I may be totally wrong, but that's just how he's coming off to me. 

• Love 3

I loved the fact that this discussion, with Bobby chiming in, basically acknowledged that the current stars are not necessarily chummy, no matter what it looks like on camera.

I wonder if that was directed at Anne?  She seems like the type that wouldn't play well with others.  They try to play her rivalry with Robert Irvine as a frenemy type thing but it's pretty clear they don't like each other.  She an Tyler got into on the finale of Worst Cooks to, to the point where I was surprised they left it in,

• Love 1