Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Here's my (very, I think), unpopular opinion - I like Andre.  A lot.  Oh, I wish he was Tony practically all the time; the baggage the Andre character has is overwhelming and I completely understand why that's a bridge too far for many.  It's the inherent weirdness of Penglis that I love.  There just is no one else quite like him.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, boes said:

Here's my (very, I think), unpopular opinion - I like Andre.  A lot.  Oh, I wish he was Tony practically all the time; the baggage the Andre character has is overwhelming and I completely understand why that's a bridge too far for many.  It's the inherent weirdness of Penglis that I love.  There just is no one else quite like him.

Every time I see interviews with his costars, they absolutely love him.

• Love 4

My unpopular opinion is that I like Tripp--I think he's been redeemed into an interesting character who made a terrible mistake and I don't think his once holding a scalpel to Kayla's neck should be held over his head for the rest of his run on the show.  He is not a evil character running around creating mayhem in Salem--the kid's a good actor and I think his character is a good addition to the show,  Viewers just need to give him a chance :)

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

My unpopular opinion is that I like Tripp--I think he's been redeemed into an interesting character who once made a terrible mistake and I don't think his once holding a scalpel to Kayla's neck should be held over his head for the rest of his run on the show.  He is not a evil character running around creating mayhem in Salem--the kid's a good actor and I think he's character a good addition to the show,  Viewers just need to give him a chance :)

Is that an unpopular opinion?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

From different responses I've seen posted, there are some fans who can't get past Tripp's trying to hurt Kayla--they think the character is tainted forever.

I am one of the fans who dislike Tripp. I dislike him because the show is rushing his redemption. I don't think that it is fair that Joey is in jail. While Ava's spawn got away with his crimes against the woman who welcomed him into her home, her life and her job.   She referred to him as her son.  She did not judge Tripp for being the son of the woman that killed her father. There are no consequences for bad actions anymore. Everything is swept under the rug. For years, Marlena suffered for cheating on Roman with John. Nowadays, characters on this show can do heinous things and people will give them a pass because they are good looking or the actor is likable.  I adored Jo Mascolo as an actor, but, Stefano was a monster that needed to pay for his crimes against people. He always got away with everything.  There are no payoffs anymore.  The show should have had Steve and Kayla continue be at odds over Tripp.  Kayla would eventually forgive Tripp, that is who she is.  She has always been the peacemaker in her family. She forgave Jack. The show did not rush his redemption. It was a slow process with lots of setbacks.  Jack had to prove himself to his victims. It worked, because Jack is beloved and missed by the majority of the fans. Jack's apology to Kayla was heartfelt and sincere.   Steve was dead, when he did that. I remember Jack telling Kayla about Jennifer's rape and how sympathetic she was to Jack.   It was a full circle moment for them.  Marybeth and Matthew were sublime in those scenes.. I don't think this show will ever have that type of outstanding writing ever again.

I feel like soaps are trying to be like the Sopranos, by having the antagonists drive stories, instead, of the protagonists.  Even, on the Sopranos, the writers always made it clear that Tony and his ilk were evil people.  Tony knew he was a piece of shit and had flashes of humanity, here and there, but, he was always a monster.  Make no mistake.  He was irredeemable.  He killed his own nephew with his bare hands, in order to save himself.  James Gandolfini, was amazing, as Tony Soprano. May he rest in peace! I can separate my love for the actor and the horrible character that he played.  Edie Falco was amazing as well as Carmella Soprano. Carmella was a monster like him because she was complicit in Tony's criminal behavior and reaped the benefits.   She enjoyed the privilege lifestyle that Tony gave her, never giving a thought to his many victims.  She got self-righteous, when he cheated on her. I felt no sympathy for her.  She knew who he was and birthed two children into that lifestyle.  She had no problems with his killings, stealing, dealing drugs, prostituting women, exploiting, people's weaknesses, like gambling, for personal gain. Yet, infidelity, was a bridge too far for Carmella.  Her indignation rang hollow..

People like Andre who was a serial killer who enjoyed murdering women and left a calling card, a red feather, next to their dead bodies.  He tried to kill other women as well, but was stopped.  I re-watched his original story years ago, on youtube.   Sheri made it clear that he was an unrepentant psychopath.  He did this at the behest of Stefano.  That backfired on Stefano because he killed his daughter Renee.  She was his first victim.. Stefano had him do that, in order to frame Roman who was looking to take him down.  Thaao should have come back as Tony and Andre should have remained dead.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

I'm suddenly having an opinion that is proving unpopular...with myself.

Operating under the theory that Abigail is the one who killed Andre and and is now framing Anna for the murder, I have to ask myself whether it was unreasonable for Abigail to be such a complete mental mess.

I recognize that I never liked Kate Mansi because of the weird egomaniacal energy she brought to the character. I am by no means giving her a pass on that.

...but if we are looking at what happened with Ben as the root of her mental problems, in a weird way I don't know if I can completely blame her entirely for her actions. Ben murdered 3 people before she realized who he was. Then he dragged her off to a cabin after beating Chad to a pulp, forced her to give birth there and then murdered the midwife who helped her selflessly. Then when Chad managed to find them Ben tried to burn Abigail and Chad alive in a cabin in the woods and run off with their baby. That's...a lot to process.

As much as I believe in people being rehabilitated and as much as I do have sympathy for Ben, honestly speaking would anybody really be comfortable returning him into police custody if he then managed to break out of captivity and into their house after all that?

I'm not saying I liked her acting choices and her bouncing on the bed laughing maniacally amd squirting gasoline on him...but as far as trying to kill him? Um....I'm starting to understand that. Would Abigail ever really feel safe knowing he was alive?

I'm not sure how Marci Miller's Abigail manages to operate on a daily basis knowing Ben is still out there and probably still fixated on her.

In short, as much as I realize she was in shock, I think it was kind of sort of reasonable for Abigail to fight back and try to off Ben. She probably should have taken a note from Theresa and just used a fireplace poker instead of nearly setting the whole damn house on fire with her baby just a room or two away...but still.

I really don't like the character so I often take the side of anybody who opposes her, but her reaction wasn't entirely unsympathetic. I've seen heroic characters in other shows murder the villain after reaching a certain point where the villain's list of sins have just become too long.

I guess I'm just...reconsidering my take on Abby as an f-ed up nutso. Help!

I've never had a real problem with Abigail (is that my unpopular opinion?), and I was completely sympathetic with her trying to kill Ben. He tortured here relentlessly and killed three people, one of whom was her cousin. Sure, she made some bad choices when it came to Ben and Chad (and EJ and Austin and ... ), but Ben really did a number on her. I actually liked that they had her snap and try to kill him. It made for a potentially compelling character arc, especially considering the mental illness that runs in the family.

(And another unpopular opinion - I also didn't have an issues with the way the scenes of Abigail attempting to light Ben on fire were played. They were over-the-top soapy ridiculousness. I don't watch Days for subtlety.)

My biggest issue with Abigail is that they quickly swept her mental health issues under the rug when she returned from the "dead." There were a few mentions of it, we got to see Laura for a second, and then she was fine. But perhaps that's going to change. I'm here for that.

• Love 1

UO:

While I dislike the character Abby (Mansi's Abby)... Mansi did kick some ass in those scenes. She was right to submit them and I don't really have that big an issue with her winning for them. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think I'd be here for a Hope/Eric pairing. They are only related by marriage, right? So not actually related...

I would take Rope everyday and twice on Sundays, before a Hope/Eric pairing...They may not be blood, but, she is his aunt, in every sense of the word.. Hope sleeping with Bo's nephew, Marlena's son is gross. I know that it is a soap, but, some lines should not be cross..

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I would take Rope everyday and twice on Sundays, before a Hope/Eric pairing...They may not be blood, but, she is his aunt, in every sense of the word.. Hope sleeping with Bo's nephew, Marlena's son is gross. I know that it is a soap, but, some lines should not be cross..

That's why it's an unpopular opinion. ::shrug:: In the history that I can remember, they barely interacted in the past. 

I think it is more the relationship that those "related" have.  Eric more so than not, "grew up" with Hope as his aunt and married to his uncle.  That is a different relationship than say your uncle marrying a woman while your a full fledged adult.  It is the same issue that I have with Rope, in that Sami has never been a factor in their coupling.  Not to say they shouldn't be together because of her but Hope being Sami's aunt should of at least been a considerable factor. Sami used to refer to Hope as "Aunt Hope".

Days is so incestuous to begin with that I'm sure a lot of this has to be side swept in order to move the story along.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

I think it is more the relationship that those "related" have.  Eric more so than not, "grew up" with Hope as his aunt and married to his uncle.  That is a different relationship than say your uncle marrying a woman while your a full fledged adult.  It is the same issue that I have with Rope, in that Sami has never been a factor in their coupling.  Not to say they shouldn't be together because of her but Hope being Sami's aunt should of at least been a considerable factor. Sami used to refer to Hope as "Aunt Hope".

Days is so incestuous to begin with that I'm sure a lot of this has to be side swept in order to move the story along.

The only woman Rafe has any chemistry with is Gabi anyway.

And, of course, it goes without saying, Julie.  Him and JJ both.

She's got it going on.  

Edited by boes
  • Love 3
On 1/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, Apprentice79 said:

This, and I UBER DETEST Rafe/Hope, so that's saying something. Hope was Eric's aunt since he was a little kid, little interaction or not. That is one line I hope Ron never crosses.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sidney said:

I haven't found anything interesting about Tyler Christopher since he's been on Days.

Neither have I.  I liked him on GH years ago when I still watched that show but he's barely animated since he came to Salem.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, boes said:

Neither have I.  I liked him on GH years ago when I still watched that show but he's barely animated since he came to Salem.

He looks bored all the time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, boes said:

In my view, he is playing the same character he played on GH. His portrayal of Nikolas these past several years is not a lot different than Stefan.  Motivations, etc., are different, but not his acting.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, bannana said:

In my view, he is playing the same character he played on GH. His portrayal of Nikolas these past several years is not a lot different than Stefan.  Motivations, etc., are different, but not his acting.

As a (now former) GH watcher, I can attest to this. Tyler Christopher has been checked out/low energy for eons now. At first I thought maybe he was just sick of GH and Nik, but now, I'm guessing he's just in soaps to pay the bills and cash the check, and to hell with his energy level. (He's not the only one, I'm sure. But since he's the subject here...)

• Love 7
On March 11, 2018 at 11:39 PM, bannana said:

I never found anything interesting about the character.

• Love 2

UO

i like the actor playing Stephan     Never watched General Hospital.  

Stefan is a good enemy for Chad. Chad had become very boring lately JMHO.  

Stefan hiding Abigail illness is a terrible storyline and he needs to not be so isolated.  

• Love 4

I don't have a problem with Abby's multiple personalities.  As stated upthread, girl has so many issues...  

I don't hate Stephan, and I don't really mind that he has a thing for Gabby.  It's icky, but most of the relationships on soaps have some ick factor to them.

I hate Marlena, and John, and Jarlena. They are smug, judgmental, hypocritical assholes.  I wish they would go and stay gone.

• Love 3

I don't dislike Tyler Christopher nor Stefan. I think it's icky Stefan is playing this Abby/Gabby thing but whatever. I'm hoping they evolve his character a bit.

I don't like John but I'm good with Marlena with Sami and Will. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don’t think Abby is a terrible actor.   I like Chad and Abby as characters but not as a couple.  

I find jenn an d Eric sweet together. Not sure I love the couple.  It’s just nice to see Eric smile.   Or I might just need any excuse to see Eric. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Yeah, I don't hate Jen and Eric together. They're both boring but there's nothing really offensive about them. Other than that I dislike Jen on principle.

I was at spring training in Phoenix a few weeks ago, and desperate to find a meal that I didn't have to line up for and thus miss several innings.  Chick fil A was the only one that had no queue.  I felt bad; I had never had Chick fil A before, but I still was boycotting, on principle.  I am not even sure they exist in Canada? But I caved and bought a sandwich, cause I was hungry.  When I rejoined hubby in the stands, he was shocked that I was eating Chick Fil A.  Cause I had filled him in on the Missy Reeves thing.  Which btw, I went back to re-read, now that Greg Rickart is on the show.  Holy awkward.  It is difficult to like Jennifer for many reasons, but it mostly because of Missy Reeves and who she is and represents.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, bannana said:

I was at spring training in Phoenix a few weeks ago, and desperate to find a meal that I didn't have to line up for and thus miss several innings.  Chick fil A was the only one that had no queue.  I felt bad; I had never had Chick fil A before, but I still was boycotting, on principle.  I am not even sure they exist in Canada? But I caved and bought a sandwich, cause I was hungry.  When I rejoined hubby in the stands, he was shocked that I was eating Chick Fil A.  Cause I had filled him in on the Missy Reeves thing.  Which btw, I went back to re-read, now that Greg Rickart is on the show.  Holy awkward.  It is difficult to like Jennifer for many reasons, but it mostly because of Missy Reeves and who she is and represents.

I'm southern...and Chic Fil A is so freakin' tasty...but I try to not eat there when I'm home. I've done it once in about 10 years so I think my karma is good. LOL

• Love 3

I don't think there's a reason to boycott Chick fil A because yes, the owner stated his personal beliefs about gay marriage, but he's never refused to serve gay people or not allow them in his restaurants or refuse to hire anyone who was gay.  Was it smart for him to state his personal beliefs?  Probably not, but the problem for me is if he refused to serve people or to hire people who were non-heterosexuals, then I'd start boycotting.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that ever happened, so yes, I am going to continue being pro-gay marriage and continue to enjoy my waffle fries with Polynesian sauce :):):)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I don't think there's a reason to boycott Chick fil A because yes, the owner stated his personal beliefs about gay marriage, but he's never refused to serve gay people or not allow them in his restaurants or refuse to hire anyone who was gay.  Was it smart for him to state his personal beliefs?  Probably not, but the problem for me is if he refused to serve people or to hire people who were non-heterosexuals, then I'd start boycotting.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that ever happened, so yes, I am going to continue being pro-gay marriage and continue to enjoy my waffle fries with Polynesian sauce :):):)

He did more than state his personal beliefs... the "charitable" foundation he created with his Chic-Fil-A fortune donated millions of dollars to organizations that oppose same-sex marriage rights and support gay conversion therapy.  After the boycott, they drastically reduced their anti-LGBT spending, so it seems like the boycott served its purpose.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, lska said:

He did more than state his personal beliefs... the "charitable" foundation he created with his Chic-Fil-A fortune donated millions of dollars to organizations that oppose same-sex marriage rights and support gay conversion therapy.  After the boycott, they drastically reduced their anti-LGBT spending, so it seems like the boycott served its purpose.

Man, but the idea of "gay conversion therapy" is so insane to me--and I did not know any of this, so thanks for letting me know.  And I'm also glad to hear that the foundations anti-stance has been reduced.  Excellent news.

• Love 3

My UO is that I really like this version of Ciara (and love her with Tripp) & understand why she hid Rafe's cheating from Hope.    I also think that Claire was in the wrong for telling Hope on her wedding day no less about the cheating (especially since the only way she found out about it was by recording a private conversation between Tripp & Ciara because she thought the secret was about her - when she was told that it wasn't multiple times)  While I don't mind Claire - I still think she's a self-centered brat

• Love 8
On 12/31/2017 at 1:08 AM, boes said:

I cosign this. I think the only time Days gave me a genuine belly laugh was when Andre was throwing Chad's bachelor party and he gave all the guys ascots. 

• Love 5

My op -- I hate Marlena.  Her stories are usually damsel in distress waiting to be rescued by Prince Charming.  Now we are going to be blessed with wedding #247 or whatever.  Please make it stop!!

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, MaggieK said:

My op -- I hate Marlena.  Her stories are usually damsel in distress waiting to be rescued by Prince Charming.  Now we are going to be blessed with wedding #247 or whatever.  Please make it stop!!

I never cared for Marlena, but I actively started to hate her after she cheated on Roman with John. The only thing that I like about her is that she is Sami's mother even though I think their relationship is a mixed bag of dysfunction on both side.

As for the wedding, I think it is stupid that it is going to be a big wedding and I have never been in favor of her relationship with John.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MaggieK said:

I also have zero use for Marlena. But [another UO within a UO!], I do like John. Or, I did when the character had a clear focus (more as Roman, but even early John post-Roman) and wasn't chained to Marlena. (Hence my ardent rooting for Isabella to remain with RoJohn when Doc emerged on the damned docks.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I like Kassie, but, she will never be Eve to me.

And ditto this. Kassie seems like a great person, but she should be another character. Charlotte Ross, even loooooooong gone, still owns the role of Eve, to me.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I also have zero use for Marlena. But [another UO within a UO!], I do like John. Or, I did when the character had a clear focus (more as Roman, but even early John post-Roman) and wasn't chained to Marlena. (Hence my ardent rooting for Isabella to remain with RoJohn when Doc emerged on the damned docks.)

I preferred John as Roman. His Roman had fantastic chemistry with his siblings, parents, children, especially Carrie. I loved his Roman with Diana and Isabella.  Wayne should never have come back, as Roman. John became a bumbling idiot that fell for Kristen's ludicrous schemes.  I soon lost interest in John and never loved him, as before.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I like Kassie, but, she will never be Eve to me.

I second that emotion.

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Charlotte Ross, even loooooooong gone, still owns the role of Eve, to me.

And that emotion as well.

For me, Kassie somehow does not seamlessly fit into the world of Days. Part of it is the slight southern lilt to her voice. It shouldn't bother me, but it just feels un-Days in a way I can't put my finger on.

My boyfriend occasionally watches with me, and he asked what her backstory was and why she had a southern accent. I informed him that she lived in both Africa and New York for a while, which was (obviously) no help.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't expect children to be great actors. It would be cruel to recast her at this point. She was cast as a baby. I think the show keeps the twins for sentimental reasons. 

I don't have any sentimental attachment to Arianna, but if they do recast, could they at least cast someone that looks like the child of both Gabi and Will. Brunette with blue eyes. Blonde with brown eyes. Either one would be fine.

• Love 1