Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Denny's is running an ad wih the line "Pancakes and eggs, bacon and sausage, coffee and O.J. and a killer price?" Did they not realize that people are going to associate their breakfasts with a double-murder now, at least subconsciously?

I think the Denny's ad folks are in cahoots with FX, which is now running a 10-part mini series about the OJ trial as season 1 of American Crime Story.

• Love 2

This commercial has always seemed half-cute/half-weird, but tonight I finally heard, "side effects may include...hallucinations...," and now I get it. Still, it's probably not necessary to give the ad team a dose of the pharmaceuticals they're hawking, because then you get ads like this:

• Love 4

a mother embarrassing her daughter with her rad yoga (?) moves

Speaking of which, why does it seem like every single ad that features people doing "yoga" show them doing it wrong?  Take a single class and any teacher worth a damn will caution you to be careful of overextending your knees.  So what do I see in commercials?  People balancing in Tree posture with the sole of one foot pressed hard against the inside of the opposite knee.  Or some semblance of Warrior with the participants lunging deep so their knees are far past the line of their ankles.  Way to risk injury so you'll need more than whatever pain reliever they're shilling.

• Love 5

There's a Disney commercial I've seen recently where they have Mike and Sully (Monsters Inc) creepily opening the door to look in on a girl sleeping in bed. 

The whole set up makes me think Mike and Sully are pedophiles who are going to molest your kids if your stay at the Disney Resort. 

• Love 1

There's a Disney commercial I've seen recently where they have Mike and Sully (Monsters Inc) creepily opening the door to look in on a girl sleeping in bed. 

The whole set up makes me think Mike and Sully are pedophiles who are going to molest your kids if your stay at the Disney Resort.

SERIOUSLY ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What  an awful thing to say.

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 3

I was amused by one of the "this program sponsored by" commercials on PBS today. I learned that "...Sierra Nevada Brewing Company made bold beers that helped launch a movement." To me, "launch a movement" is something that happens during a particularly energetic session in the bathroom, meaning that their beer is a particularly powerful carbonated laxative.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 3

So buy a Toyota Prius if you need a good get-away car?

"Prius, the choice of four out of five criminals."

I just saw another one where they showed police departments switching to a Prius fleet so they could catch getaway cars. Yeah, I'm sure a hybrid hatchback is going to have more get up and go than the turbo V-6 Impalas and Chargers police use as interceptors. Apparently they're counting on never having to chase anyone up a hill.

I was amused by one of the "this program sponsored by" commercials on PBS today. I learned that "...Sierra Nevada Brewing Company made bold beers that helped launch a movement." To me, "launch a movement" is something that happens during a particularly energetic session in the bathroom, meaning that their beer is a particularly powerful carbonated laxative.

I don't know about a laxative effect, but drink a few pints of Guinness and that bathroom session the next day is definitely going to be energetic—like trying to pass a bellyful of crude oil.

• Love 2

There's a new ad in the campaign in which we are to believe people are mistaking an apartment for a restaurant with a food critic muttering to himself about the bagged chips and jar of salsa being "four star"; he's just an insane man who wandered in off the street, right?

• Love 2

There's a new ad in the campaign in which we are to believe people are mistaking an apartment for a restaurant with a food critic muttering to himself about the bagged chips and jar of salsa being "four star"; he's just an insane man who wandered in off the street, right?

I think they say he's a "famous restaurant critic"  I Iove his voice, he sounds like Gregory Peck.

• Love 1

As insane as the people in the art museum who are drinking Bud Light Lime-a-Ritas.

• Love 2

I just saw another one where they showed police departments switching to a Prius fleet so they could catch getaway cars. Yeah, I'm sure a hybrid hatchback is going to have more get up and go than the turbo V-6 Impalas and Chargers police use as interceptors.

Reminded me of the old footage of police chasing OJ Simpson in his white Ford Bronco, trying to talk him into stopping.

• Love 3

I can't watch the Prius commercials without thinking about an incident that happened almost a year ago.  Neighbors on the next street parked their Prius in the garage, the battery overheated and burned the house to the ground.  The people were about 30 seconds away from dying before they could be rescued.  It was horrible.

• Love 1

Reminded me of the old footage of police chasing OJ Simpson in his white Ford Bronco, trying to talk him into stopping.

The scene at the end of the first ad in that campaign reminds me of a car chase scene with cops from The Blues Brothers.

Speaking of head-scratcher car ads, I see they're playing the one with the couple deciding whether to suffer in the wilderness or at the mall and choose the wilderness. Why?

Speaking of head-scratcher car ads, I see they're playing the one with the couple deciding whether to suffer in the wilderness or at the mall and choose the wilderness. Why?

Because they drive a Subaru, and Subaru owners are outdoorsy, not mall-types...

• Love 3

Yeah, that commercial doesn't make any sense.  Because first of all, they don't seem to enjoy the outdoors, and secondly, are they associating khakis with dullness?  Are they boring people because they buy khakis?  I see where they're going with that, I guess, but I associate khakis with safari wear, so enjoying the outdoors and wearing khakis aren't disparate ways of life.  But I also don't even know that they do buy khakis because the someone in the mall announces that there's a couple lost.  So they can't find their way around the mall because they're more suited to a life in the outdoors? 

But I admit I'm never paying full attention to that commercial because I'm always wondering whether the lady in that commercial is also the lady in this commercial.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3