Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I read some of the YouTube comments and adbrands.net says it's an "unfolding story" - apparently you have to watch a bunch of their sappy commercials to get the idea. No, thanks.  Don't like the yogurt, either.

Then it is an example of another commercial pet peeve of mine.  No, I will not go to your website to find out more information, nor will I wait around for your story to "unfold."  If you can't figure out how to tell me what I need to know about your product in a (hopefully) clever way in 30-60 seconds, then you need to find a new advertising agency.  I hate to tell you, but enigmatic commercials do not make me want to go out and buy your product.  If anything they make me not want to.  I would say that commercials rarely make me go out and buy a product anyway, but commercials that piss me off will actually make me want to avoid buying a brand if possible.

• Love 15

The ad, says the adbrand comment, is from "creative boutique OppermanWeiss". Creative boutique? Oooh-kay.

I'm just going to pretend it's flashing before and after a zombie apocalypse. Don't leave that livestock too close to the fence, kids, it didn't work so well on the Walking Dead.

• Love 3

Then it is an example of another commercial pet peeve of mine.  No, I will not go to your website to find out more information, nor will I wait around for your story to "unfold."  If you can't figure out how to tell me what I need to know about your product in a (hopefully) clever way in 30-60 seconds, then you need to find a new advertising agency.  I hate to tell you, but enigmatic commercials do not make me want to go out and buy your product.  If anything they make me not want to.  I would say that commercials rarely make me go out and buy a product anyway, but commercials that piss me off will actually make me want to avoid buying a brand if possible.

THIS, with bells on!

• Love 4
(edited)

I DO like Chobani, but that's a stupid ad. I especially adore their new stir-ins, esp. the key lime with graham cracker crumbles and tiny white chocolate chips. Holy crap, that stuff is good!

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2

I read some of the YouTube comments and adbrands.net says it's an "unfolding story" - apparently you have to watch a bunch of their sappy commercials to get the idea. No, thanks.  Don't like the yogurt, either.

This is all Country Crock's fault. At least those commercials you didn't have to see bunch of them to get an idea what was going on. They just sort of added up to a life story as time went on.

• Love 1

I’d seen the commercial with the Wyndham Rewards Wizard (?) a few times before I realized that the Wizard and Captain Obvious from Hotels.com are two different characters, and the commercials are for two different companies. I’d call it poor casting to have two characters who look so much alike.

• Love 1

And another thing:  WHY are they remaking Poltergeist?   It is a perfect scary movie, just as it is!

Because they have completely run out of script ideas, so we are doomed to an eternity of remakes of old stuff.

• Love 9

Why is the Apple Watch commercial so darn depressing?

Its depressing to me because I can't figure why anyone would buy a watch that can't do anything that my phone, that I always have with me, does not also do already.  With a much bigger screen and likely faster than the watch. 

• Love 4

I was watching something online that thought they'd be clever by disabling the volume widget in the viewer during ads. Hah! I just muted the whole computer

That happened to me on the CW site. Did the exact same thing.  Then I watched a show with DH and sat through the ads because I at least had a person in the room with me. Still talked back to the ads. *sigh*

• Love 3
(edited)

This commercial airs all day on TNT and all I can hear is "cholera's a beautiful thing." I also don't get the scatting at the end but that is probably just me.

(sorry, I can't embed because I don't have a real computer and You Tube won't open in a website for me boooooo)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

This commercial airs all day on TNT and all I can hear is "cholera's a beautiful thing." I also don't get the scatting at the end but that is probably just me.

(sorry, I can't embed because I don't have a real computer and You Tube won't open in a website for me boooooo)

I hear that too XD. I know that they're saying 'color is a beautiful thing', but it's really close to 'cholera's a beautiful thing'.

• Love 2

The ads for the Apple watch put the emphasis on being able to tell the time.  For what Apple is asking for this "convenience" (549.00) it had better do more than this.  Otherwise, this watch is for douches who want to brag about having an Apple watch.

• Love 8

Otherwise, this watch is for douches who want to brag about having an Apple watch.

Or tech geeks. But, you also have people who would be happy to have a watch that always has the correct time. Or that monitors their vital signs. Being able to communicate like Dick Tracy probably also has an appeal for some.

• Love 5

Perhaps his Mom works at Taco Bell?

What's the deal with the occasional Subaru ad that takes place in a universe where dogs can drive cars?

I don't know, but I love them to pieces.  Every single one makes me laugh and go, awwww.  Well, in my family, everybody has either a Golden or a Lab. 

• Love 7

Where's my personal jetpack?

Would you settle for a personal helicopter like Little Nellie in the Bond film You Only Live Twice? There's one waiting for FAA approval that's been computerized to make it easy to fly and keep you out of trees and power lines (rocket launcher sold separately).

• Love 3

Would you settle for a personal helicopter like Little Nellie in the Bond film You Only Live Twice? There's one waiting for FAA approval that's been computerized to make it easy to fly and keep you out of trees and power lines (rocket launcher sold separately).

That would be cool as hell! :D

• Love 3

That would be cool as hell! :D

Especially if you could  fold the Little Nellie up and put it in a briefcase/suitcase, like George Jetson! 

• Love 2

I was just coming here to say how much I hate this commercial. What's up with the crazy woman with the wild white hair? Hate the song and the cholera lyrics. Get off my screen! I'm trying t watch Law & Order.

Darrell Hammond from SNL is Colonel Sanders in the new KFC commercials.  And I see they're using the word "fried" again in their advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2rHsxYh6U

I thought it was an old commercial at first with Phil Hartman. I've called it Kentucky Fried Chicken all along. KFC reminds me of text speak.

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw a Chevy ad where kids get to use their WiFi gadgets in a--wait for it--Chevy. The same kids were less than thrilled when there was no WiFi in the other vehicle. Yeah, we should base our big ticket purchases on what our kids want. Hell, I was thrilled at the intricacies of the Etch-A-Sketch much less what kids take for granted now. Car AC was but a dream.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 9

I saw a Chevy ad where kids get to use their WiFi gadgets in a--wait for it--Chevy. The same kids were less than thrilled when there was no WiFi in the other vehicle. Yeah, we should base our big ticket purchases on what our kids want. Hell, I was thrilled at the intricacies of the Etch-A-Sketch much less what kids take for granted now. Car AC was but a dream.

Yeah, why did everything become so kid centric? I'm sure the monthly data plan isn't cheap. Spoiled brats.

I remember my Dad was so pleased and proud when he bought a used Chrysler in about 1965 that had power windows. It also had awesome fins, too. He rolled the driver's window down and there it stayed for a couple of months until he could get it fixed. But we all thought it was cool, nonetheless.

• Love 7

Did you know that burgers and sandwiches are now called "handhelds"?  Well, me neither.  Applebee's now have handhelds on their menu, formerly called wraps and sandwiches.  I'm eagerly awaiting their spoonable and forkable offerings.

• Love 15

Did you know that burgers and sandwiches are now called "handhelds"?  Well, me neither.  Applebee's now have handhelds on their menu, formerly called wraps and sandwiches.  I'm eagerly awaiting their spoonable and forkable offerings.

OMG I can't stop laughing at this utter nonsense!  Is that part of their nutrition delivery system?

• Love 9

I heard one of those ads the other day and my first comment was, "Is that the same thing as a sandwich"?

I heard one from the kitchen yakking about "handhelds" and "apps" with hideously annoying music. I thought it was a commercial for a smartphone. When I went into the livingroom I discovered it was for Applebees. Obviously aimed at the annoying hipster douchebag crowd.

• Love 5
(edited)

I really don't like a box making sexual in yer windows. (I know it's innuendo, but the other was found in a patient chart, still makes me laugh) And I'm not crazy about Flo's singing.,

And I'm sick of apps.

Added because just saw the Activia ad again, Is the correlation between having gas and needing to wear black what I think?

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3

Whenever I see the Elephant Insurance ads, my mind wanders to bad places.

-All of his employees seem on edge, worried and paranoid (case in point: "The customers?" Employee looks around and sees her boss is watching, "They mean everything to us!").

-He gets too excited at the mere mention of peanuts. One employee even shakes his head as though to say "You fucked up now." I can't help but imagine that the Elephant went on a peanut rampage sometime in the past and the office was never the same.

-He should have his own water supply in his office so his workers don't have to change out those big-ass bottles twenty times a day.

-How is he typing? At least give him a giant keyboard to hunt and peck on plausibly.

• Love 1