Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Mutual of Omaha life insurance: Two sisters talking about the sympathy cards for their mom, and then the older sister says she got her mother's life insurance policy payout. 

The younger sister has graying hair, so I maybe can buy that. But if you look at the skin on the neck of the younger sister, you can see the actor has to be at least 10 years older than the actor playing the older sister. Terrible casting. They could have switched the roles of the women to make it believable.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Kohl's suggests a sports bra as a Mothers' Day gift?

I recently saw a print ad from the 40s suggesting a self-wringing mop bucket as a Mother's Day gift.  Makes a sports bra seem not so weird.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recently saw a print ad from the 40s suggesting a self-wringing mop bucket as a Mother's Day gift.  Makes a sports bra seem not so weird.

My ex once bought me a vacuum cleaner.  Notice I said "ex".

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 8

I don't know why, but FreeVee plays these commercials that make no sense! There was this one, for example, that seemed to be a window shade that stuck to the window that could be folded up into a small purse shape and I think it was one-way because although it looked black from outside the car, I thought I caught a glimpse from the inside and it was clear. 🤷‍♂️

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I don't know why, but FreeVee plays these commercials that make no sense! There was this one, for example, that seemed to be a window shade that stuck to the window that could be folded up into a small purse shape and I think it was one-way because although it looked black from outside the car, I thought I caught a glimpse from the inside and it was clear. 🤷‍♂️

Black out shade for hotel rooms on business trips?

• Like 2
On 5/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Black out shade for hotel rooms on business trips?

No, they were about the size of a plate and were put on the inside of the driver's car window.

PlutoTV had begun showing nonstop commercials for their poker channel. I swear nearly all of them look like tools and douchbags.

(edited)

Is Phil Laak (the Unabomber) one of the featured players in the commercials? I have it on good authority that he's a real sweetheart despite his style choices mirroring those of a domestic terrorist.

Edited by Bruinsfan
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Why is the LIMU emu pronounced e-moo, but the Blue Emu ointment is e-mew? (Like, cow says moo but cat says mew?)

Emu is an Australian bird.  There, the pronunciation is ee-mew, not -moo.

Here, many (mis)pronounce it ee-moo, and if enough people do that long enough, dictionaries start adding it as an alternate pronunciation (especially where common in one region).

But using that pronunciation in this case is stupid, because the "mu" of "mutual" is pronounced mew, not moo.  Of course, the "li" of "liberty" is not pronounced "lee", either, so LiMu Emu as "lee-moo ee-moo" has annoyed me all around since its introduction.

Edited by Bastet
To make my point more clear
  • Like 4
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Of course, the "li" of "liberty" is not pronounced "lee", so LiMu Emu as "lee-moo ee-moo" has annoyed me all around since its introduction.

What makes it especially egregious is "Mutual" IS pronounced "mew."  It should be LihMew EeMew. The whole thing is stupid, as is Doug.

• Like 4

If you bite the bottom off your butter cookie wrapped Haagen Dazs before you've eaten any of the ice cream, all your ice cream is going to leak out.  Is the bottom of the cone empty?  Do you then just suck it out the bottom?  How do you keep it from melting all down your arm?  

• Like 4

So many questions!  A man in a bath tub scoops some Philadelphia Cream Cheese onto a cracker and finds himself transported to the middle of a harbor. It appears his bathtub was filled with cream cheese but then it looks like bubble bath bubbles. What's going on? 🤷‍♂️

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, Gharlane said:

So many questions!  A man in a bath tub scoops some Philadelphia Cream Cheese onto a cracker and finds himself transported to the middle of a harbor. It appears his bathtub was filled with cream cheese but then it looks like bubble bath bubbles. What's going on? 🤷‍♂️

image.png.76fc7cb561d052057ce3c6b23580c0e8.png

• LOL 3

Yeah, I saw that one for the first time today and wondered if he was going to be dipping crackers into the tub he was bathing in. That association in my mind isn't exactly making me eager to buy Philadelphia cream cheese, advertising agency!

• Like 3
On 1/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

"When I was but a child, eating Heinz on spaghetti..." Seriously? Did anybody eat spaghetti with ketchup on it outside of Honey Boo Boo?

That commercial drives me bonkers. I simply cannot understand what's being sung at the end.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I hate the Daisy cottage cheese commercials, especially the one where some guy dips a tortilla chip into some cottage cheese. Is he stoned?

I dislike cottage cheese. The texture makes me gag. I spend the commercial wondering who in their right mind would eat that crap! 🤮

• Like 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I hate the Daisy cottage cheese commercials, especially the one where some guy dips a tortilla chip into some cottage cheese. Is he stoned?

Urmm, I have been known to dip tortilla chips and Fritos into cottage cheese and I have never been stoned. 

ETA: @chessiegal I like cottage cheese and am truly in my right mind. LOL!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Urmm, I have been known to dip tortilla chips and Fritos into cottage cheese and I have never been stoned.

Maybe I shouldn't knock it till I try it. I guess my main beef is that it's not even his cottage cheese. It belongs to the woman beside him on the couch. And she just shakes her head like, "Oh, you!" I'd be more inclined to say, "Hey, get your own! We have a fridge full of it!" 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

ETA: @chessiegal I like cottage cheese and am truly in my right mind. LOL!

I like it if I strain the liquid out and put plenty of black pepper on it.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 12:38 PM, mmecorday said:

Maybe, but I've dipped potato chips into cottage cheese so tortilla chips aren't so out there to me.  It does require liking cottage cheese, though.

22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Maybe I shouldn't knock it till I try it. I guess my main beef is that it's not even his cottage cheese. It belongs to the woman beside him on the couch. And she just shakes her head like, "Oh, you!" I'd be more inclined to say, "Hey, get your own! We have a fridge full of it!" 

Now that is a legitimate complaint.  Seems really rude to me.

• Like 3
On 5/28/2023 at 2:53 PM, Browncoat said:

If you bite the bottom off your butter cookie wrapped Haagen Dazs before you've eaten any of the ice cream, all your ice cream is going to leak out.  Is the bottom of the cone empty?  Do you then just suck it out the bottom?  How do you keep it from melting all down your arm?  

A quote from a customer review on Target says "If depression was a cone. This would be it."   That's brutal.    Many reviews says cone was simply a tasteless sugar cookie, and not one redeeming feature. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 4

There's an ad for Fubo TV where a man is at a whiteboard explaining the three reasons that their service is better than cable.  Then a woman at the meeting leans over to another woman and gushes, "And he also changed the batteries in all three smoke detectors!"  I don't get it.  Is there supposed to be a connection just because they both mention the number three, or is she mentioning the smoke detector thing because she thinks he's great (or hot) and wants to point out something helpful that he did?  It definitely went over my head.

Now I've been seeing an ad for a prescription drug called Sotyktu (I had to look up the name) where the pill forms the other eye in a winking face.  That is just really weird.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 5/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, Browncoat said:

I've seen people who bite the bottom off their sugar cone and suck it, but never before they ate most of the ice cream. I guess they didn't want to film her eating all the ice cream? 🤷‍♂️

(edited)

I saw a GOLO commercial today where the woman says she saw the GOLO commercials with real people, not actors. Hey GOLO, throwing some shade on Marie Osmond?

I've also noticed some deodorant brands have added info about how long they prevent odors. Trying to get into the Lume market?

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I saw a GOLO commercial today where the woman says she saw the GOLO commercials with real people, not actors. Hey GOLO, throwing some shade on Marie Osmond?

I've also noticed some deodorant brands have added info about how long they prevent odors. Trying to get into the Lume market?

I saw Marie Osmond this week in a new Nutrisystem ad. I didn't recognize her. It wasn't because of any work she may have had on her face but the most hideous wig she's wearing. It looks like a dead animal 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I saw Marie Osmond this week in a new Nutrisystem ad. I didn't recognize her. It wasn't because of any work she may have had on her face but the most hideous wig she's wearing. It looks like a dead animal 

I've always said that if she stopped wearing wigs that make her look like one of the Stuart kings, she'd lose another 50 pounds. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

There's a commercial for Cascade featuring a man of Japanese descent talking about not filling his dishwasher when he washes his dishes. I have to wonder what kind of "light snack" involves filling the dishwasher about a third of the way! 

• LOL 3

I just noticed the fine print on the telephone that shows the text of incoming phone calls. I didn't get all of it, but it says in part "FEDERAL LAW prohibits use for those not certified as hearing impaired" or something similar. The all caps on federal law seemed odd. Why? Is this service somehow provided be a federal agency? My iPhone transcribes voice mail to both read and hear. Seems like that technology is out there.

I'll go straight to fine print next time I see it.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I just noticed the fine print on the telephone that shows the text of incoming phone calls. I didn't get all of it, but it says in part "FEDERAL LAW prohibits use for those not certified as hearing impaired" or something similar. The all caps on federal law seemed odd. Why? Is this service somehow provided be a federal agency?

I believe that is so, or else heavily subsidized by the gov't.

• Thanks 1
On 6/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, chessiegal said:

The Secret one pre-dates the Lume commercials.  But now I'm wondering, do most people reapply their deodorant multiple times during the day?  'Cause I generally put it on in the morning and I'm good to go for the entire day and I just use normal Suave deodorant.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The Secret one pre-dates the Lume commercials.  But now I'm wondering, do most people reapply their deodorant multiple times during the day?  'Cause I generally put it on in the morning and I'm good to go for the entire day and I just use normal Suave deodorant.

Same. Are these people working in coal mines or what?

• LOL 5

While I find that the deodorants I've tried generally work well enough day of use (If I get sweaty enough to stink I'm clearly in need of another shower anyway), claims of 48 or 72 hour protection make me wonder if they're being used by people who sit motionless in cold environments for days at a time.

• Like 4

In the Bush Beer commercial in which the spokesman who reminds me of Adam Carrolla scares off a bear that has cornered a couple men, did the bear flee because of the manly wilderness wisdom of the product or because it's "that beer"? 🤔

• LOL 3
On 6/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

And wouldn't it wash off in the shower, or are these people not bathing in that time span, as well?

I assumed that was the case, since showering and re-applying would reset the clock.

• Like 2

Maybe this could also go into the 'commercials that enrage' thread, but did anyone else have to google 'Moxie robot' to make sure it wasn't some kind of prank ad? A parent wants their kid to learn about interpersonal relationships by 'talking' to a robot? 

We are all in deep trouble.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
On 5/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, Browncoat said:

What else would it do?  Doesn't the icecream leak out of all ice cream cones if you bite off the bottom?  Isn't that what gravity's all about?

(By the way, I don't like the new Haagen Dazs butter cookie cones, the cone is too soft for me; it seems stale.)

• Useful 1
On 6/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, Gharlane said:

There's a commercial for Cascade featuring a man of Japanese descent talking about not filling his dishwasher when he washes his dishes. I have to wonder what kind of "light snack" involves filling the dishwasher about a third of the way! 

And if it's so fabulous, why not wait until it's full after his next ginormous snack?  (I'm not sure why his ethnicity is relevant though.)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Leeds said:

And if it's so fabulous, why not wait until it's full after his next ginormous snack?  (I'm not sure why his ethnicity is relevant though.)

Because representation matters?

Why oh why are people wasting an entire pod designed to wash a full load on a couple of snack dishes?  Don't they realize that running the dishwasher uses electricity each time?

Where I live the gas and electric company wants people to use less energy between 4pm and 9pm.

• Like 2