Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 7/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, janie jones said:

He seems like he's probably a goofball. I bet he thinks the commercials are funny.

I think it depends on whether you like Jon Hamm.  I don't and so the commercial is cringey to me.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, Gharlane said:

I saw a commercial last night for some sort of IBM (AKA "poopybutt") medication with a woman driving around with a toilet in the backseat.  Is that for the times she cannot find a public bathroom? 🤔

I think it's implying that her IBM is under control and thus the constant need to be near a bathroom is in the back mirror.  I think.

On 7/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, Suzn said:

I think it depends on whether you like Jon Hamm.  I don't and so the commercial is cringey to me.

I don't care for Jon Hamm but I still find the commercials funny.

• Love 2

I'd only seen him as the asshole hook-up of Kristen Wiig's character in Bridesmaids, so it's kind of weird seeing him be nice.  The commercials I've seen in this series haven't done anything for me, but they don't bug me, either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I'd only seen him as the asshole hook-up of Kristen Wiig's character in Bridesmaids, so it's kind of weird seeing him be nice.  The commercials I've seen in this series haven't done anything for me, but they don't bug me, either.

I've only seen him as the crashing bore Lorelai goes out with once on Gilmore Girls. He didn't make much of an impression on me. I don't mind him, he seems rather inoffensive.

I may be particularly dumb lately, because in addition to the puzzling and annoying Expedia ads (lemons! bubble! what??), I have not idea what Miro is and what that whole "shoot the monster" thing is supposed to mean.  

I'm not sorry I don't know, but still, you'd think they'd want to be a little clearer about the product.  At least I'd think so. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I have not idea what Miro is and what that whole "shoot the monster" thing is supposed to mean

I hate that ad as well. It is loud and impossible to ignore. I guess it's collaboration software, but the ad does not really show why it is so much better than, ya know, just talking.

• Like 3
(edited)

I keep seeing these ads for the class action lawsuit against Camp Lejune,  I mute my TV a lot so at just a glance, I thought it said Camp Jejune.

"If you or a loved one who was stationed at Camp Jejune and you were exposed to artless poetry, boring, inane political opinions and naive optimism, call the law offices of Dewy, Cheatum and Howe,"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

There’s a Hilton commercial that I’ve seen a few times where a family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids) request but fail to receive connecting rooms at a creepy motel.  (“They’re across the courtyard. Well, it’s more of an alley.  But nobody’s living in it anymore.”)  One of the scenes involves the parents standing in front of their window, gesturing and mouthing “Lock the door” to the kids across the alley, who see but don’t understand the message. 

a) Did people stop living in the alley because of the rampaging werewolves?  If not, why can’t one of the parents go over and tell the kids to lock the door?

b) Oldest kid appears to be a teenager. If she’s old enough to stay with her two siblings alone in a motel room overnight, she probably has a cell phone. Just call her!

c) Or you could have, you know, told them to lock the door before you split up into your respective rooms …

d) Not to mention about a dozen other possible methods of contact (like holding up a sign).  Or the fact that you’d think the teenager might have been creeped out enough to already have locked the door.  (Or just locked it because that’s what you do.)

e) Even before any of these became a problem, wouldn’t most reasonable people decide to spit things up so that each room had a parent in it, if the motel is that creepy?

Don’t get me wrong, connecting rooms are great, but there’s no need to exaggerate the ineptitude of your customers to infomercial-like levels in order to demonstrate that!

• Applause 4
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

There’s a Hilton commercial that I’ve seen a few times where a family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids) request but fail to receive connecting rooms at a creepy motel.  (“They’re across the courtyard. Well, it’s more of an alley.  But nobody’s living in it anymore.”)  One of the scenes involves the parents standing in front of their window, gesturing and mouthing “Lock the door” to the kids across the alley, who see but don’t understand the message. 

a) Did people stop living in the alley because of the rampaging werewolves?  If not, why can’t one of the parents go over and tell the kids to lock the door?

b) Oldest kid appears to be a teenager. If she’s old enough to stay with her two siblings alone in a motel room overnight, she probably has a cell phone. Just call her!

c) Or you could have, you know, told them to lock the door before you split up into your respective rooms …

d) Not to mention about a dozen other possible methods of contact (like holding up a sign).  Or the fact that you’d think the teenager might have been creeped out enough to already have locked the door.  (Or just locked it because that’s what you do.)

e) Even before any of these became a problem, wouldn’t most reasonable people decide to spit things up so that each room had a parent in it, if the motel is that creepy?

Don’t get me wrong, connecting rooms are great, but there’s no need to exaggerate the ineptitude of your customers to infomercial-like levels in order to demonstrate that!

Every time I see that commercial, I think, considering the experience I had at a Hilton this year, they've got nothing to brag about.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5

Ugh! I saw a Hilton commercial last night with Paris Hilton checking into a Hilton Hotel. Of course, she's got every employee following her around and a ton of luggage. The bell hop asks, "Where should I put your luggage?" She says she wants her luggage put in the connecting room because there's too much of it for a conventional hotel closet.

Maybe that's why Mary and Joseph couldn't find a room at the inn. Some heiress checked in and was using a connecting room for all her crap.

Edited by mmecorday
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2

Once, on a Road Trip, there were no Best Westerns nearby where I needed to spend the night, so I booked a Hilton. Signed up for their rewards. The hotel was mediocre, the points expired. That's one of the things I love about BW - their points never expire.  I'm saving up for a trip to Chicago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My experience with the Hilton in St. Petersburg, FL this year was the hotel seemed like it was due for a makeover. We stayed 4 nights. We didn't have a car and told them that at check-in. They emailed me my receipt that I opened while we were at the airport waiting to go home. They charged me for 3 nights of parking at over $23/day, not the 4 nights we were there. They thought we suddenly had a car when we didn't arrive with one? They had a restaurant that served breakfast at ridiculous prices, didn't serve lunch, and you could get dinner at the bar after 5 pm.

I've had good experiences with other brands - Double Tree (love the cookies!) and Hampton Inn, but I wouldn't stay at a regular Hilton again. Maybe that's why they're advertising.

• Applause 1
8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I saw a Hilton commercial last night with Paris Hilton checking into a Hilton Hotel. Of course, she's got every employee following her around and a ton of luggage. The bell hop asks, "Where should I put your luggage?" She says she wants her luggage put in the connecting room because there's too much of it for a conventional hotel closet.

Isn’t that kind of making the hotel sound bad, that the closet won’t have enough room for luggage?  I know, Paris has soooo much luggage… but still, did they think this through?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Isn’t that kind of making the hotel sound bad, that the closet won’t have enough room for luggage?  I know, Paris has soooo much luggage… but still, did they think this through?

For some reason, Hilton is pushing that they have adjoining rooms. They have another commercial touting the same thing. As if Hilton is the only hotel that offers adjoining rooms. Not sure why they decided to pick that option. 

I recently made reservations at a hotel and needed adjoining rooms (not a Hilton). The person I talked to made it sound like you couldn't specifically reserve adjoining rooms, but that they can make a note on your reservation so that someone can be sure not to give away all the adjoining rooms.

So maybe in Hiltons all rooms are paired up, rather than some? Or you can reserve pairs of rooms, when other hotels won't let you? But if that's the case, why don't they say that in the commercial, rather than just saying that they have them, when, yeah, other hotels do, too.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, mmecorday said:

As if Paris Hilton would ever stay at one of those crappy hotels.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 4
On 8/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Leeds said:

As if Paris Hilton would ever stay at one of those crappy hotels.

I stayed at a Hilton once on the same floor as the Presidential Suite, and the President was going to be there in a few weeks for a convention so they were doing a lot of decorating and cleaning, and that suite was pretty nice (a little too gilded, Louis Quatorze for my tastes though).  I'm sure as a Hilton she could get a suite like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I stayed at a Hilton once on the same floor as the Presidential Suite, and the President was going to be there in a few weeks for a convention so they were doing a lot of decorating and cleaning, and that suite was pretty nice (a little too gilded, Louis Quatorze for my tastes though).  I'm sure as a Hilton she could get a suite like that.

That's what's dumb about the commercial, though, if you ask me. She'd stay in a suite, not a 2 queens connected to another 2 queens.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, mmecorday said:

I find it hard to believe Paris Hilton would be personally at the check-in desk and not some flunky or personal assistant and they would give her a peon's room. Doesn't her family still own the hotel chain? 🤔

3 hours ago, cynicat said:

Since we're on the subject of genitalia, the Uqora commercial for UTIs annoys me.  She says "I had eight UTIs in a year" and then her partner Spencer looks at her with a big smile.  

Wash your fucking dick, Spencer.

https://www.tvcommercialad.com/watch/rxoNaf3edk3ogRT 

Are you supposed to drink that stuff? 🤔

• LOL 1

There's this one commercial that leaves me scratching my head in which a woman stops her car next to a bicyclist and starts heckling him about "wanting morrrre". I guess they know each other, but is there some inside joke to which we are not privy? 🤔

5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

There's this one commercial that leaves me scratching my head in which a woman stops her car next to a bicyclist and starts heckling him about "wanting morrrre". I guess they know each other, but is there some inside joke to which we are not privy? 🤔

It would help if they played the entire commercial - which they never do - because then it would be more clear. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Everytime I see this Glad ad, I think the mom needs to have a talk with the son about the moldy sandwiches. I mean, does he not like the sandwiches he gets? Does he need a smaller sandwich because he couldn't finish it? Because, that's quite a bit of food going to waste.

Edited by InDueTime
Forgot a word
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Everytime I see this Glad ad, I think the mom needs to have a talk with the son about the moldy sandwiches. I mean, does he not like sandwiches he gets? Does he need a smaller sandwich because he couldn't finish it? Because, that's quite a bit of food going to waste.

I think someone needs to have a talk with her about her poor housekeeping skills. Seriously, she didn't notice the sandwich on his shelf and in his sock drawer until it was covered with mold? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I think someone needs to have a talk with her about her poor housekeeping skills. Seriously, she didn't notice the sandwich on his shelf and in his sock drawer until it was covered with mold? 

No. Someone (she) needs to talk to her son.  Kids should be responsible for cleaning their own room. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

She’s lucky that her only problem is a bunch of moldy sandwiches. With that much food left lying around, I’m surprised there isn’t a roach or rodent infestation. Or ants. This is why you need to teach kids to clean, it’s a potential health hazard.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/10/2022 at 9:45 AM, Haleth said:

No. Someone (she) needs to talk to her son.  Kids should be responsible for cleaning their own room. 

True, but how many times does one put away socks in a drawer before noticing the moldy sandwich? 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Every night during Perry Mason I am told at least twice about some cooking show which is "putting the D in 'dinner'." I'm stuck somewhere between "huh?" and "ew." 

Is it hosted by Guy Fieri?

• LOL 2

There's a care.com commercial that's really a head scratcher for me. Joanne is really concerned about her aging "fawther" and what kind of care she can arrange for him going forward. The thing is, Joanne and her "fawther" look to be about the same age.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's a care.com commercial that's really a head scratcher for me. Joanne is really concerned about her aging "fawther" and what kind of care she can arrange for him going forward. The thing is, Joanne and her "fawther" look to be about the same age.

Yes!  I saw that commercial a few days ago and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they looked like a married couple.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I keep seeing this commercial for Hellmans Mayo (I think) where it has this earworm song "making nothing into something" or something like that.

So they take what looks like leftover stir-fry and.... add mayo to it?

The leftover stir-fry looked fine to me. Does adding mayo actually improve it? Yuk.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I keep seeing this commercial for Hellmans Mayo (I think) where it has this earworm song "making nothing into something" or something like that.

So they take what looks like leftover stir-fry and.... add mayo to it?

The leftover stir-fry looked fine to me. Does adding mayo actually improve it? Yuk.

We need one of these emojis.

image.png.76908b01ded3e118aada1c715dd862f5.png

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, janie jones said:

I recently made reservations at a hotel and needed adjoining rooms (not a Hilton). The person I talked to made it sound like you couldn't specifically reserve adjoining rooms, but that they can make a note on your reservation so that someone can be sure not to give away all the adjoining rooms.

So maybe in Hiltons all rooms are paired up, rather than some? Or you can reserve pairs of rooms, when other hotels won't let you? But if that's the case, why don't they say that in the commercial, rather than just saying that they have them, when, yeah, other hotels do, too.

Quoting myself because I just saw for the first time, the other Hilton commercial that was mentioned, in which the parents are in a room across the courtyard from the children. What I mentioned above is what the adjoining rooms ones are about, because at the beginning of the family/courtyard one, the family is complaining that they were unable to reserve the adjoining rooms. So it's "We'll let you reserve adjoining rooms, unlike those other places." I haven't seen the Paris Hilton one that I was replying about above, so maybe that one doesn't make it as obvious. (The only Paris Hilton one I've seen is the one about dogs.)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, janie jones said:

So maybe in Hiltons all rooms are paired up, rather than some?

I stayed at a Hilton in April. The room was not adjoining to any other room. Not all the rooms in the Hilton I stayed at were adjoining.

• LOL 1