Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Gotta wonder what super absorbing chemicals go in those things and why you would want them next to baby's delicate parts for extended periods? Yikes!

I say Mom or Dad is required to wear an equivalent product before putting the baby in one.

• Love 1

RE: Pampers  Not a huge niche in the market but I could see this being helpful if you are traveling.  Yeah most trips have places you can change a baby but as mentioned above about the kid sleeping? , especially say ,take your infant to Australia and the kid is asleep?  On a plane full of people three hours in to a fifteen hour flight?  Wrap 'em double I say and send Child Services my way all you want.

And since coughing is now a huge social crime (get a dvr Delsum douche mom and your reality show self centered-ness) I can't help but think a crying baby on a really long flight is about three seconds from passengers going nuts on the tykes parents.

Edited by heebiejeebie
  • Love 1

Poise pads are saying you don't need tampons any more because you can use your "pee pads" for your period (so they're showing women using their "period pads" for puppets).  This is really more information than I care to know.

I'm confused.  First of all, are they telling people to give up tampons or period pads?  Because if they're telling people to give up tampons, then why are they showing them giving up period pads?  Secondly, people use tampons because they don't want to use a pad for that.  People aren't going to suddenly want to use pads instead of tampons because they have pee pads.  The reason people use tampons is they don't like having it drip out all day.  So this ad is basically saying, "You know how you don't like having it drip out all day?  Just go ahead and let it drip out all day." 

• Love 3

Wait, is this the ad that was just posted in the "Annoy, Irritate, Outrage" thread?  This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iCQA80uNsA

Because if so, then this changes everything about my above post.

First of all, they aren't telling people to give up tampons, so that answers that.

Secondly, they're not saying you should use pee pads for your period.  They're saying you should stop using period pads for pee.

But frankly, I don't think touting the absorbency is the way to go about getting women to stop using period pads.  I would guess (and it's only a guess because as far as I know I don't know anyone who requires pee pads) that women use period pads because there is no stigma against menstruating, unlike peeing your pants.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4

I've bought pee pads for my mom (72 and has had strokes and brain cancer, but she's doing pretty good for all that) when she comes out to visit, and seriously ad dudes, nobody in the store even blinks at it.

• Love 1

I've bought pee pads for my mom (72 and has had strokes and brain cancer, but she's doing pretty good for all that) when she comes out to visit, and seriously ad dudes, nobody in the store even blinks at it.

I didn't mean to suggest that the people at the store actually care.  But it's the same mentality that has those home-delivered pee pads so no one you make eye contact with has to know.

• Love 1

I didn't mean to suggest that the people at the store actually care.  But it's the same mentality that has those home-delivered pee pads so no one you make eye contact with has to know.

Yeah, that's what I meant - the ads would have you believe it's a big deal, and that same checkout clerk who threw a fit because someone bought the wrong bottled water is going to have a field day.

Instead of reality, where the only thing they care about is "did this beep as I scanned it?"

• Love 4

Are there really that many pre-menopausal women running around with "pee pads"? Aren't "pee pads" (good grief!) usually for the elderly?

Not necessarily.  A lot of women use those pads after they have a baby and their pelvic muscles are weakened, so holding their urine is more difficult.  The more children you have, the weaker the muscles become.  That's why doctors advocate Kegel exercises to strengthen those muscles, but they can't fix everything.  I've heard women complain about nearly wetting themselves after a simple cough or sneeze.

• Love 2

The one when the guy is coaching the other on how to say "Nein?" I've seen it once, and I already know that the charge for filing online is $9.99, so repeating nein/nine drills it into your head.

But do you know where?

There is another one where they are in a warehouse and they are saying "nine nine-ty nine" with the emphasis on the "t." At first I thought the one guy was saying "nine-y" and the other guy was correcting him, but on second viewing, that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like everyone is emphasizing the "t." Then another guy asks why they are saying it like that and one of the guys screams. I don't get it at all.

• Love 3

But do you know where?

There is another one where they are in a warehouse and they are saying "nine nine-ty nine" with the emphasis on the "t." At first I thought the one guy was saying "nine-y" and the other guy was correcting him, but on second viewing, that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like everyone is emphasizing the "t." Then another guy asks why they are saying it like that and one of the guys screams. I don't get it at all.

This is the one that aired repeatedly last night. The other one, with the pronunciation coach, aired just once. I'm not likely to forget how much it'll cost to file my state taxes (federal is free!) but...WTF. Why is the guy yelling at the end of the warehouse ad after being asked why he was pronouncing it the way he was? Makes no sense.
  • Love 1

As much as I love The Orwells' "Who Needs You?", I have to wonder what Apple is saying by using it in their commercials?

I mean, the song isn't exactly pro-American:

You better toss your bullets
You better hide your guns
You better help the children
Let 'em have some fun
You better count your blessings
Kiss mom and pa
You better burn that flag
Cause it ain't against the law!

You better pledge your allegiance
You're not the only one
Listen up forefathers
I'm not your son
You better save the country
You better pass the flask
You better join the army
I said: "no thank you, dear old uncle Sam!"

• Love 2

Watching an apparently ailing Joe Montana (who looks 75 instead of 58 and who is now 5' 7" for some reason) chowing down on pizza does not make Papa "I'm a Vile Dick" John's cardboard pies any more appealing. It's like when they'd trot out Bette Davis after she had a stroke on late night interview shows. I didn't want to see that either.

• Love 5

Yeah, I come away from that ad thinking Joe Montana must be pretty hard up on cash. He can't even afford to buy pizza. He has to wait until Peyton Manning buys one during the buy one get one free thing. Also, is Montana not wearing a real jersey?

Now that you mention it, it looks like he's wearing a knockoff jersey he bought at Walmart.

• Love 2

But do you know where?

It's basically just the old Family Guy "Cool Whip" joke. That's the impression I got; they're going for that joke, possibly even expecting people to recognize it as such, but even if they're not going for recognition, it's the same joke.

Watching an apparently ailing Joe Montana (who looks 75 instead of 58 and who is now 5' 7" for some reason) chowing down on pizza does not make Papa "I'm a Vile Dick" John's cardboard pies any more appealing. It's like when they'd trot out Bette Davis after she had a stroke on late night interview shows. I didn't want to see that either.

I don't like that ad either, but the one where Montana plays a financial advisor makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqTm-Tgw0kk

I don't know where this belongs.  Because it isn't outrage or such.  i guess here because I find the NFL having an official yoghurt an odd selling point.  I also find Cam Newton a rather odd choice to schill it.

I do love (as in mocking jeering scoffing) at how bad cam Newton is on camera.  He has a pretty smile.  but he actually starts delivering his next line before one actor is finished saying his. Definitely amusing.  i hope someone with his best interests at heart is managing his money (and by that I mean not his family).

Oh well at least it is not Peyton Manning.  Still it is odd how few adverts the most recent winning quarterback of a Super bowl got in compare to, well others who have not or were soundly beaten by such.

• Love 1

Are there really that many pre-menopausal women running around with "pee pads"? Aren't "pee pads" (good grief!) usually for the elderly?

Well, there is often a decade or two between menopause and elderly, but yeah, a lot of women who are not elderly need pee pads. Elderly, senile men and women are more likely to use adult diapers. The diapers are more for complete incontinence, pee pads are for the occasional leak that occurs with sneezing, laughing, etc.

It's basically just the old Family Guy "Cool Whip" joke. That's the impression I got; they're going for that joke, possibly even expecting people to recognize it as such, but even if they're not going for recognition, it's the same joke.

Ok, but then those of us who don't watch family guy are scratching our heads. The 9.99 commercial makes no sense to me. And the guy screaming annoys me because I don't get it.
  • Love 3

As I said, I'm not certain they were going for recognition of it as a re-used joke. I was just pointing out that conceptually, it is the same joke. They're supposed to be funny for the same reason. So if you google the Family Guy bit, if you find/don't find that funny, you can apply the same to the ad. The point is one guy overpronounces; the other questions why. The exchange itself is intended to be funny. Fine if you don't think it is, but I just don't think there's more to it.

I don't know where this belongs.  Because it isn't outrage or such.  i guess here because I find the NFL having an official yoghurt an odd selling point.  I also find Cam Newton a rather odd choice to schill it.

I swear, in that commercial it sounds like he says, "It packs 15 grams of protein fudge." WTF?

• Love 2

In one of the annoying Candy Crush ads, a racoon terrorizes the vegetable section of a supermarket. Why aren't they scared of the shoppers? For that matter, whyodoes the vine Apu conjured that brushes against the racoon's face make it flee?

• Love 1

Oh my God, was that really a THING??

Yes, back in 2005, with a picture of a guy gazing longingly at a cheeseburger. And the sentence that followed made it even better - "I'm a Dollar Menu Guy!", so you're still covered even if you're too cheap to have sex with one of their regularly priced burgers.

Many places on the internet remember the campaign. Here's one. And here's another. Also, a Boondocks strip.

I'll just let y'all make your own jokes about "special sauce", "buns", "have it your way", and "hold the pickle"...

I swear, in that commercial it sounds like he says, "It packs 15 grams of protein fudge." WTF?

Sounds like a candidate for the McDonald's menu.

I saw the "official yogurt of the NFL" and went "great, flag football is next."   Just what we need, a whole league full of yogurt bitches instead of tough guy football players.

Any advertiser's product can be "The Official (X) of the NFL" if they just cut a large enough check. Any day now I expect them to have an Official Baseball Team.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 3

Seriously. Twenty years ago, if people said that deliberately paralyzing your muscles for beauty would be a thing, they'd have been laughed at. And yet, there's a lady at work who puts in overtime for her "botox fund". She gets her lips poufed, too, and wears false eyelashes to work! She looks ridiculous.

• Love 1

Dunkin Donuts needs to hire better writers.  To say something tastes good because it essentially tastes like the components it claims to be made of is just stupid.  I've eaten a donut from their establishment after they stopped making at site and while even if blind, would have found it a "donut" I would not have said it tasted good, let alone it tasted good as a donut because it tasted like a donut,

So the whole taste like "turkey sausage" is hardly a selling point when turkey sausage is what you are claiming to sell in the first place. 

As a little kid I heard about botox and know even before it was approved by the FDA in the early nineties it was widely used.  Now it is much more commonplace but before 2000 it mentioned on shows like Roseanne and The Nanny to name two of the many more (I watched too much Nick at Night into the wee hours).  So I'm thinking it was probably more like thirty years ago the idea of shooting poison into your face would have been laughed at if not looked at with derisive awe.  Twenty years ago I'm guessing the wave was starting but still already there in a "where can I get that" kind of way.

ETA: Other than two brothers who used to be firemen trying to create (and exploit) the whole Fireman thing, does anything see any connection at all with the subs they name and claim are rooted in firehouse traditions?  Wait.  I take that back.  I realize all this time every time I see a hook-n-ladder fire truck go by I think "ham and cheese"

No.  on third thought I don't.  At all.

I remember my oldest sister was a huge cooking fan and the firehouse theme in the early nineties was huge in the cookbook and television shows area.  So a cafe or diner chain that employed the tradition of good solid homecooking might not hit the nutrition/portion areas of concern in customers, but I think economically a good hearty meal that is a value would be a huge selling point.  Not another sandwich place that has no really bearing on its name or theme.

Edited by heebiejeebie

Totally scratching my head as to why Ricolla felt the need to make up the word 'Chruterchraft'. I guess the actual 'Kraeuterkraft' was too foreign-sounding? Between that and Fiber One's complete mangling of the word 'streusel' (hint: it doesn't remotely rhyme with 'noodle'), it's been a nails-on-a-chalkboard day for this German speaker. Ugh.

• Love 5

Totally scratching my head as to why Ricolla felt the need to make up the word 'Chruterchraft'. I guess the actual 'Kraeuterkraft' was too foreign-sounding? Between that and Fiber One's complete mangling of the word 'streusel' (hint: it doesn't remotely rhyme with 'noodle'), it's been a nails-on-a-chalkboard day for this German speaker. Ugh.

What is odd is that there was a bit on another board about how they changed it.  They shot an ad using the real word.  And then replaced it.  Not only that but they forgot initially and in closed cpationing the real word was there.  but they spent money and pulled it so the inserted fake word was put in instead.  Insane.

Acura?  How does your car make me drive like a boss?  How is being a boss a car that answers the phone automatically without your knowldge?  Yeah.  That's Carl Icahn auto-ness there.

• Love 4

Dannon Danimals yogurt appears to be meant for little kids. So why does the commercial have a kid whose voice has changed, and looks to be about 15 - 16, shilling it? He's talking to another kid who looks like he's a lot younger in the school lunchroom. Does this mean that yogurt bitch's son flunked a few grades and is still in grade school?

• Love 2
ETA: Other than two brothers who used to be firemen trying to create (and exploit) the whole Fireman thing, does anything see any connection at all with the subs they name and claim are rooted in firehouse traditions?  Wait.  I take that back.  I realize all this time every time I see a hook-n-ladder fire truck go by I think "ham and cheese"

Isn't the thing with Firehouse Subs that they have like 20 kinds of hot sauce?  That's the connection; hot, burn your mouth sauces.

Dannon Danimals yogurt appears to be meant for little kids. So why does the commercial have a kid whose voice has changed, and looks to be about 15 - 16, shilling it? He's talking to another kid who looks like he's a lot younger in the school lunchroom. Does this mean that yogurt bitch's son flunked a few grades and is still in grade school?

I haven't seen that ad, but I believe older kids are often used to sell things to younger kids.

• Love 1

I couldn't care less about Papa John's pizza. I want to know why my husband Joe Montana  ;-)  looks like he's 75 yrs old and standing in a hole in the floor ?

Joe Montana is 6'2' 

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 4