Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Why is there a plethora of ads using slow, mournful, off key and warbling "singing" ?  There are too many to list but the ones I've heard have been for several different products...I think several belong to various online degree universities. One of them uses a horrible, ear assaulting rendition of the Cranberries' "Dreams". Then there's the pharma ad with sad grampa croaking about "Tomorrow".  I could maybe understand the sorrowful wailing if these were ads for PETA or Save the Children, but shouldn't getting a diploma or taking another miracle drug make me feel happy vs. causing me to contemplate suicide?

• Love 6

I don't think ANYONE who cannot sing should be allowed to sing on TV.  My current pet peeve in that area (besides the "If I Had a Brain" misery) is the local camp fire commercial.  There are approx 100-125 children under 12 or so, singing B I N G O (well, not REALLY singing, just SCREAMING the words).  Is this what we have been reduced to?  In this era of giving every child a participation award, and not disciplining them when they are naughty, now they are encouraged to scream the words to a song!  Hey, teachers, pretend you have a real CHOIR and that people are supposed to enjoy the singing, and don't just encourage everyone to "participate" if singing is not their forte.  At the very least, teach them to moderate their volume!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

At the very least, teach them to moderate their volume!

Or switch to the national anthem. Even trained singers have trouble with that one, so they'll have an excuse for sounding bad, and they'll learn the words so that they won't be mumbling along at ballparks or other situations where they might be expected to join in.

• Love 1

don't know if this has been brought up in pages of yore, but the Quilted Northern ads with the bathroom shaming (sir froggy can't unsee what he's seen in the bathroom!) are back but with a different narrator. The old one sounded more portentous,  new guy is chipper.

Weird commercials either way...the opposite of "enjoy the go"...it's "we'll help you forget your dirty dirty deeds"

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

don't know if this has been brought up in pages of yore, but the Quilted Northern ads with the bathroom shaming (sir froggy can't unsee what he's seen in the bathroom!) are back but with a different narrator. The old one sounded more portentous,  new guy is chipper.

Yes, I did notice this and I don't like the new narrator.  I loved the original commercials.  I don't think Sir Froggy would be chipper after seeing what he sees day in and day out.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Yes, I did notice this and I don't like the new narrator.  I loved the original commercials.  I don't think Sir Froggy would be chipper after seeing what he sees day in and day out.

I like the one with Daddy Gator. "I better motor out of here, this no place to raise a child". Gets me every time.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I like the one with Daddy Gator. "I better motor out of here, this no place to raise a child". Gets me every time.

I was just going to say that!  "This is no place to raise a child."  Makes me laugh every time.  Still.  (As does poor Constable Bob.)

• Love 4
On 11/16/2016 at 3:17 PM, Jamoche said:

Whoa, if you had started to quote a comment with a video in it, then decided not to but didn't clear it, then came back to the same page later, it'll start auto-playing even though it's not visible on the screen until you click in the reply box.

So that's what happened!  Thanks - I rebooted my computer to make it stop.  Thanks for the info.

On Monday, August 07, 2017 at 10:32 AM, bad things are bad said:

Weird commercials either way...the opposite of "enjoy the go"...it's "we'll help you forget your dirty dirty deeds"

Wait...people are ashamed of doing their doody? I've apparently been doing it wrong. I've been known to announce my successful unloading operations to family or coworkers, whichever are present at the time.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, Sandman87 said:

Wait...people are ashamed of doing their doody? I've apparently been doing it wrong. I've been known to announce my successful unloading operations to family or coworkers, whichever are present at the time.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2017 at 9:58 PM, Sandman87 said:

It's a little unusual to report on one's success afterwards. but most folks are open about where they're going when it's howdy doody time.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, smittykins said:

"There is no polite way, of announcing publicly, a dump."--George Carlin 

Clearly he never raised a child.  Because "Mommy/Daddy I pooped in the potty!"  is not only polite, but welcomed enthusiastically by the parents since it signals that your intimate involvement with the excrement of your offspring may finally be coming to an end.

• Love 8
On 8/9/2017 at 6:58 PM, Sandman87 said:

Is that because you're a dude, Dude?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that because you're a dude, Dude?

Pick a reason:

• I'm promoting awareness of healthy elimination habits.
  • I'm selflessly making peoples lives just a tiny bit less predictable so that they'll have something to talk about.
  • I practice Linji's Buddhist teachings, and help others achieve insight through shock techniques.
  • Someone once told me that honesty is the best policy.
  • People talk too much, and I enjoy the awkward silences that follow my announcements.
  • I honestly believe that people want to know.
  • I sometimes forget to take my meds.
  • I'm a spy who's communicating via a prearranged code.
  • I'm generously giving fair warning that they might want to wait a few minutes before going into the bathroom.
  • It amuses me.
  • Love 15
On 8/9/2017 at 9:58 PM, Sandman87 said:

Al Bundy, folks. XD

• Love 5

Microphone dropping came from '80s hip-hop or comedy (or both). It's basically a nonverbal way of saying "what I just did was so superior that there's no point in anyone else trying to follow me, so I'm just going to drop this microphone like an arrogant jerk rather than hand it to someone else or put it back in the stand where it's easier to reach."

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Microphone dropping came from '80s hip-hop or comedy (or both). It's basically a nonverbal way of saying "what I just did was so superior that there's no point in anyone else trying to follow me, so I'm just going to drop this microphone like an arrogant jerk rather than hand it to someone else or put it back in the stand where it's easier to reach."

Thanks. That explains it. I was in my 30s during the 80s, now I'm not only old but was out of touch. :]

• Love 2

Now that the metaphor's been established, microphone dropping is referred to, as a short way of saying how great something was ("that's it, drop the mike"), substantially more often than it's actually done.

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks. That explains it. I was in my 30s during the 80s, now I'm not only old but was out of touch. :]

Don't let everyone's explanations lead you to believe that the commercial isn't stupid, however.

It's stupid even if you get it. 

It's probably more stupid if you get it.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think the "mic drop" nonsense originated in the 1990's...

What is the point of the Range Rover ad with a man rescuing his friends from an approaching sandstorm, then cutting to them sailing?

Land Rover was one of the sponsors of the US America's Cup sailing team - the team is who is featured in the ad. I guess outrunning a sandstorm is supposed to be akin to the crazy speeds of the foil boats used in the latest races. The ad would be better if the US had won.

• Love 2

I've seen the Dole fruit cup ads a few times and i'm still scratching my head about it..

One person said that drink their Dole fruit cups because they're packed in fruit juice, and the other person says they drain their (off brand) fruit cups because they're packed in water.

Okay... why wouldn't you just drink the water ? why would you pour it out ? It's just water ! 

It really doesn't make any sense to me. 

On 8/7/2017 at 5:28 PM, cynicat said:

Me too. The new narrator has ruined what was my favorite ad campaign of all time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Land Rover was one of the sponsors of the US America's Cup sailing team - the team is who is featured in the ad. I guess outrunning a sandstorm is supposed to be akin to the crazy speeds of the foil boats used in the latest races. The ad would be better if the US had won.

Range Rover isn't an American company.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

The ad's claims that the fruit is in juice or water.

No matter what their or the opposing brand's fruit is packed in, I've never seen people drain it.  I've only seen people drink it or ignore it, and the decision does not appear to be based on anything other than whether the person likes the flavor.  That's why I hate those commercials.

• Love 5
On 8/12/2017 at 11:04 PM, Rinaldo said:

Now that the metaphor's been established, microphone dropping is referred to, as a short way of saying how great something was ("that's it, drop the mike"), substantially more often than it's actually done.

I should hope so as that's no way to treat a delicate piece of electronic equipment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I should hope so as that's no way to treat a delicate piece of electronic equipment.

Thank you. I cringe every time someone actually drops a mic. I'm all for people just taking verbal credit instead.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CoderLady said:

Thank you. I cringe every time someone actually drops a mic. I'm all for people just taking verbal credit instead.

I look forward to the day when some clueless rapper does that to a Neumann U-67, and then realizes that he'll have to sell his Mercedes to pay for it.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I look forward to the day when some clueless rapper does that to a Neumann U-67, and then realizes that he'll have to sell his Mercedes to pay for it.

Wow!  Those are some pricey mics!  (That will be a joyous day!)

• Love 1

There is an ad for some sort of car crossover dealieo and Chick 1 is happy she got the baby shower cake and Chick 2 informs her the cake is a LIE and the baby is a boy.

So many questions!  Was she picking up the cake on the way to the shower and the bakery fucked up and gave her a girl cake instead of a boy cake?  Or was she in charge of doing the entire cake process and had the wrong one designed?  If that is the case, why didn't she know which cake to have made?  Why doesn't she know what her friend is having?  I think the pregnant mama at the end says something like she knew she could count on her friend to get the cake which doesn't help me because I still can't figure out why Chick 1 doesn't know the gender of the baby.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is an ad for some sort of car crossover dealieo and Chick 1 is happy she got the baby shower cake and Chick 2 informs her the cake is a LIE and the baby is a boy.

So many questions!  Was she picking up the cake on the way to the shower and the bakery fucked up and gave her a girl cake instead of a boy cake? 

I blame the baker - cakewrecks is full of that sort of thing.

• Love 2

New-ish ad for Cosequin or some other doggie med, featuring a blind pup. I swear the narrator/pup owner claims that Old Blind Pup has not "slown" down at all. Is that common usage anywhere?

According to Wikitionary, slown is the "nonstandard past participle of slow". I haven't seen this commercial, but with the much-mentioned inability to enunciate in TV ads, he might have said "slowin" instead, dropping the G and not pronouncing the I strongly enough.

• Love 2

And if that's all they can come up with as a selling point? Makes me wonder if they're just trying to reassure people that if this phone starts to overheat like the Galaxy 7 Note (I know, I know -- it was the tablet and not the phone) did, you can just chuck it into the nearest body of water. No problem!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, CoderLady said:

And if that's all they can come up with as a selling point? Makes me wonder if they're just trying to reassure people that if this phone starts to overheat like the Galaxy 7 Note (I know, I know -- it was the tablet and not the phone) did, you can just chuck it into the nearest body of water. No problem!

They're just setting themselves up for a lawsuit with these ads, if somebody actually does that and ruins their phone.

• Love 3