Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, ABitOFluff said:

Has anyone seen the Toyota Camry ad with the female driver saying getting the Camry was the best decision she ever made? Her passenger, another women, says something like "HEY!" At first I thought that the passenger and driver were girlfriends, until the driver gets a call from "Trey". Not just Trey, but the display on the dashboard says, "Trey--Don't Answer". When the call come in, you see the passenger watching the driver wondering if she's going to answer the call. She does, says, "Hey, Trey!" and the passenger breathes a sigh of relief while the driver has a "What?" expression her face.

Is there a longer version this commercial with the saga of Trey and the Camry driver and passenger I'm not aware of? What is going on? Is the passenger Trey's sister? Why does the driver have "Don't answer" next to his name?

Just from the brief image we see of "Trey" on the screen, he looks like a douche, so I am assuming he is just a loser boyfriend she should avoid, even the car knows it, but she still answers, hence the look from her girlfriend that she should have just not answered.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, janie jones said:

Or they'll be wearing a towel around their waist when they get out of the shower even though ordinarily they're wearing a shirt and naked from the waist down.

If they don't bother to dry off properly, that'll cut down on how much drips onto the floor.

I really doubt those mini muffins are a good nutritious breakfast, but occasionally, I buy muffin mixes that just add milk, mix and put in the oven. Not bad for quick muffins, probably not much nutrition, but I'm old and I don't give a hoot. But as a child, eggs were never a choice for me. The rest of the family ate eggs, nearly daily, but I wouldn't touch them and still cannot put egg in my mouth. I make tuna salad without them, I only buy them when I am going to bake. It used to be difficult for me to go out for breakfast, especially since I (gasp!) don't drink coffee either. But, more places have more choices now and I love pancake places. 

• Love 4
On 2/19/2017 at 9:17 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Just from the brief image we see of "Trey" on the screen, he looks like a douche, so I am assuming he is just a loser boyfriend she should avoid, even the car knows it, but she still answers, hence the look from her girlfriend that she should have just not answered.

It took a few more viewings, but I think you're right. Girlfriend doesn't approve of Trey.

7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

A woman in a Zulily ad says, "You feel like you're getting a good deal." Does that mean you only think that you're getting a good deal?

That's like the Lyrica ads that say it has ingredients that are "believed" to calm the pain of fibromyalgia.

• Love 3

Yes. I can't stand it when people say they "feel" something when they should be "thinking" something. My son is a professional who owns his own business. He has a female business partner who always says she "feels" something. She very intelligent, very well educated and accomplished. However, she's a very liberal, "feeling" person who can't make an intelligent, informed decision to save her life. It makes him and us nuts to listen to her talk about current events. Or any events. Or anything else.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That's like the Lyrica ads that say it has ingredients that are "believed" to calm the pain of fibromyalgia.

Is that one of those with the disclaimer that it hasn't been evaluated by the FDA and "is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"? Because if that's the case, they probably have to say it is "believed" to work, because they can't make a definitive claim.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Yes. I can't stand it when people say they "feel" something when they should be "thinking" something. My son is a professional who owns his own business. He has a female business partner who always says she "feels" something. She very intelligent, very well educated and accomplished. However, she's a very liberal, "feeling" person who can't make an intelligent, informed decision to save her life. It makes him and us nuts to listen to her talk about current events. Or any events. Or anything else.

You have my eternal sympathy for this.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

A woman in a Zulily ad says, "You feel like you're getting a good deal." Does that mean you only think that you're getting a good deal?

I know, right? How about "up to 50% off." That could mean 1 %

"Makes your skin appear healthier."

"Cheese product." (not really cheese or not all cheese)

Semantics! :-)

• Love 3
21 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Actually, by law, it can't; there's a minimum of something like 10% for a claim like that. But, if they can do 50%, the regular prices are probably padded.

Thank you. I didn't know that; but 10% is a lot less off than 50%. I didn't make my point well. :-)

Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails vitamin commercial, where the girl is falling,  gorgeous hair, etc.  She lands on the sidewalk and you can see her arms and shoulders and sternum, and she is virtually a skeleton.  EESH!  This is not attractive, folks.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 4:56 PM, Gam2 said:

I feel amused by this.

• Love 8
On 2/25/2017 at 8:48 PM, Brattinella said:

Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails vitamin commercial, where the girl is falling,  gorgeous hair, etc.  She lands on the sidewalk and you can see her arms and shoulders and sternum, and she is virtually a skeleton.  EESH!  This is not attractive, folks.

That's one commercial that would benefit from "real" customers. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what, but my nails don't break nearly as much when I take the gummies, compared to when I don't.

• Love 2

Sunsetter Awnings - actually I'd love to put a retractable awning on the front of this house - it faces directly west, there used to be a very large tree, it was destroyed by a couple of storms and bugs. But, back to the ad that makes me scratch my head, they're just starting to run the ads for this year, spring and summer are just around the corner, the ad I just saw said, "it's not too late to get a Sunsetter Awning for this year." It's February! It's been nice several days, but the really hot weather won't be here until at least April!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Sunsetter Awnings - actually I'd love to put a retractable awning on the front of this house - it faces directly west, there used to be a very large tree, it was destroyed by a couple of storms and bugs. But, back to the ad that makes me scratch my head, they're just starting to run the ads for this year, spring and summer are just around the corner, the ad I just saw said, "it's not too late to get a Sunsetter Awning for this year." It's February! It's been nice several days, but the really hot weather won't be here until at least April!

I wondered the same thing. It seems they play the same commercial during different months/seasons. Head scratcher.

• Love 2

In the latest Lincoln car commercial, Matt McConaughey, says (I'm paraphrasing), "Sometimes, you feel like this..." and he starts making crazy figure eight turns with the car. 

I get that it's an ad for Lincoln, but what's he saying? Sometimes you feel like driving recklessly? Sometimes you want to spin out and hit the cars around you? Sometimes you feel crazy, out of control, and wild? If so, is Lincoln the best car for that? 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, topanga said:

In the latest Lincoln car commercial, Matt McConaughey, says (I'm paraphrasing), "Sometimes, you feel like this..." and he starts making crazy figure eight turns with the car. 

I get that it's an ad for Lincoln, but what's he saying? Sometimes you feel like driving recklessly? Sometimes you want to spin out and hit the cars around you? Sometimes you feel crazy, out of control, and wild? If so, is Lincoln the best car for that? 

B but "It's not your father's Lincoln"

/sarc

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Moose135 said:

Is that one of those with the disclaimer that it hasn't been evaluated by the FDA and "is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"? Because if that's the case, they probably have to say it is "believed" to work, because they can't make a definitive claim.

Lyrica is approved by the FDA for treatment of Fibromyalgia, among other types of pain. 

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 7:12 PM, Moose135 said:

Most of what you're going to see with that disclaimer is a dietary supplement- they are regulated like foods (not like drugs), so they cannot legally claim to treat, cure, or prevent disease, even if they can produce a boatload of anecdotal evidence showing the high correlation between the use of their products and the reduction of certain symptoms.

I think the drugs used for treatment of fibromyalgia tend toward the "...believed to be caused..." language because there is still so much about the condition itself that isn't clearly understood. Is the pain caused by some malfunction of nerves? Or is there another cause? Best to use the weaselly language so that you don't contradict yourself later when more studies show more results.

• Love 6
(edited)

I posted this head-scratcher in the Health Care topic, but since nobody there has come up with the answer in a week and a half, I thought I'd try my luck here.

What's the deal with the drug that has the black woman walking through a world completely made of white paper sculpture?

I mean, I get that the creatives were looking for a different "look." And I get that one of the creatives just saw some cool paper sculpture in a gallery over the weekend and said, "Let's do that!"

But shouldn't the choice of "look" have something to do with concept of the drug or the condition it cures? And not be completely arbitrary? If this visual concept has anything to do with anything, it's beyond me.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

I know the ad, don't know the product, so that's probably a fail, but I'm better at remembering products I hate and will not ever use. I think the ad is about how blah and colorless the world is before the medication and now she takes this wonderful drug and sees colors! It could be a form of acid (I joke, only hallucinogenics I've ever had was when I was in the ER and had a brain aneurysm, nothing touched the pain, but I saw lots of colors!) If the drug is a mental health medication, it would be obvious that before medication, drab, blah, black and white, but after medication, a world of color and possibilities! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

What's the deal with the drug that has the black woman walking through a world completely made of white paper sculpture?

Low advertising budget?

It's incredibly obvious to me that the folks that greenlight psych med commercials have never actually suffered from mental illness. My world doesn't become more colorful if I take the latest wonder drug, nor does my little cloud blob become happier. IF the drug works to any degree on my crippling depression, I feel one notch above the dark, echoey and scary ocean floor. I won't go into the countless and bizarre side effects.

The only commercial that is close to reality is the one about having to wind oneself up. Every minute of every damn day.

I have been medicated for over 20 years--more than half my life--and have been on just about every med that exists.

• Love 6

There's a Taco Bell ad campaign running now with several commercials for their breakfast food where they show someone having a bad morning while the soundtrack sings "...when your morning is Hell, Just go to Taco Bell." What I'm taking away from it is that I should avoid Taco Bell in the morning unless my day is already so screwed up that it just couldn't get any worse. Because eating there would make it worse.

• Love 5

I took away the opposite - that they're saying eating at TB might brighten up an otherwise craptastic morning. Which I highly doubt, but whatever. It's something other places have implied in their ads. McDonald's, for example.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think (and I could be wrong, I frequently am) that she has depression and the whole world has no joy, then she takes this wonder drug and now her life is beautiful.

That guess was as good as mine (better, actually, since I was bewildered and had no guess at all) but--surprise! I found the spot online and it turns out it's for a diabetes drug. (Italics because it makes no sense.)

The drug name is Toujeo. (WTF?) Here's the "rationale" (such as it is) for the creation of the "white paper sculpture world" that the woman is walking through:

A woman writes in her journal about struggling with diabetes. As she writes, she's transported into the pages of the journal where her world is made of paper. When she discovers a new method for treating her diabetes, Toujeo, she turns over a new page.

That's about as thin a justification for a campaign theme as I've seen. Yes, the first thing I think of when I think about diabetes is "it's the disease you journal about."

In any case, the spot can be viewed here:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AYDp/toujeo-journal

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

There's a Taco Bell ad campaign running now with several commercials for their breakfast food where they show someone having a bad morning while the soundtrack sings "...when your morning is Hell, Just go to Taco Bell." What I'm taking away from it is that I should avoid Taco Bell in the morning unless my day is already so screwed up that it just couldn't get any worse. Because eating there would make it worse.

Apparently the Million Moms have taken aim at this commercial because of the "h" word.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Question - is there such a thing as something pretending to be a pea, or is Rachael Ray even more full of shit than I thought she was?

I don't know but I have pretended to take a pee when I was really out having a smoke.

• Love 11
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, friendperidot said:

I really doubt those mini muffins are a good nutritious breakfast, but occasionally, I buy muffin mixes that just add milk, mix and put in the oven. Not bad for quick muffins, probably not much nutrition, but I'm old and I don't give a hoot. But as a child, eggs were never a choice for me. The rest of the family ate eggs, nearly daily, but I wouldn't touch them and still cannot put egg in my mouth. I make tuna salad without them

What-what-WHAAAAT????? Tuna salad with eggs?

There's an ad for Supercuts (or another cheapie haircut place) with a young man checking off his "bucket list" after getting a haircut. He looks pretty good for someone who is about to die.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What-what-WHAAAAT????? Tuna salad with eggs?

There's an ad for Supercuts (or another cheapie haircut place) with a young man checking off his "bucket list" after getting a haircut. He looks pretty good for someone who is about to die.

I had the same reaction never having heard of such a thing. With celery, sure. A little onion? Yes, please. But eggs?

• Love 3

My family has always made tuna salad (for sandwiches) with chopped hard boiled eggs. Also chopped sweet pickles, celery, spring onions, mayo, salt and pepper. My mom used to add chopped apples and walnuts. You wouldn't believe how delicious that was. I made it that way one time when my husband suddenly invited some of his employees over for lunch on a Saturday (!). They said it was the best tuna salad sandwich they'd ever had and they weren't just sucking up to the boss's wife. Their wives called me to ask me how I made it because their husbands came home raving about it. Different strokes for different folks. 

• Love 2