Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

So is the use of "We are the Champions" supposed to be ironic? Does all of this take place as they are watching the eventual champions celebrate?

Because none of those guys have won a title as a pro.

I was wondering the same thing.

Unless Bio-Oil is very, very foamy when applied, I think the advert really meant you "slather" yourself in it not "Lather". 

Not that slather is a very appealing word - the whole thing needs reworked.  Bugs me every time.

• Love 3

Yeah, that's what they are trying to say.  But in my own experience, Hennessy was a major disappointment.  I far preferred single malt scotch.  Those descriptors in the commercial seem to be more apropos of scotch.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's what they are trying to say.  But in my own experience, Hennessy was a major disappointment.  I far preferred single malt scotch.  Those descriptors in the commercial seem to be more apropos of scotch.

That stinks, because this commercial makes it sounds phenomenal!

• Love 1

I cannot at all understand what is going on in the fever dream that is the Apple TV commercial with Nicolas Coster-Waldaj. I don't understand why she wants to rewind seven seconds and why she needs to watch "Game of Thrones," because he's not Jamie in the commercial.

And can someone please tell me who plays the nurse? I know I know her, but it's just not coming to me and it's driving me bonkers.

I just saw AMH guesting as the criminal/perv of the week on some procedural, but I can't remember what. I know if wasn't Criminal Minds, because he did that ages ago. iZombie?

His IMDB profile says he did Z Nation and Rosewood in 2015.

• Love 2

I just saw this one tonight that got my attention because I had been wondering what Anthony Michael Hall was up to these days for some weird reason. I admit that the gray/grey hair surprised me too.

I kinda dig it!  I have a weird thing for silver foxes, as evidenced by my continued crush...Bill Kurtis.

• Love 3

mojoween asked:

And can someone please tell me who plays the nurse? I know I know her, but it's just not coming to me and it's driving me bonkers.

It's Alison Brie from Community and Mad Men (I think someone mentioned it above or in another thread). I can't make out what she says as she leaves.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I don't get that commercial either mojoween, but yes it's Allison Brie. I didn't realize the other person was Nicolas Coster -Waldaj however.

Maybe it's she wants to remind herself how hot he can be in Game of Thrones to get into the scene, since he is a different character? I don't know.

• Love 1

"Raise your hand if you think McDonald's is the best place to get a Coke."  Uh, why?  Does Coke taste better at McDonald's?

There are Coke aficionados out there. I count myself as one. The best Coke in the United States, Clinton South Carolina. Now for years among us Coke aficionados, we all had the same question. What the hell is that crap they sell at McDonalds, that they call Coke. For years it was pure garbage, so much so I would not order Coke or Coke products from them. About a year ago they changed whatever they were selling to something that is much better. Still not as good as Steak and Sheak's or Krystal's Coke.  But much improved. From your post I guess there is a commercial out there with that question. So I guess they are letting people know, that they are no longer selling swill under the name of Coke.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 3

A lot of it at fast food places is how they mix it. If there's too much carbonation or not enough, or too much syrup or not enough, it will taste like crap. No matter where it is. And how clean they keep the spigots on the dispensers.

• Love 6

I cannot at all understand what is going on in the fever dream that is the Apple TV commercial with Nicolas Coster-Waldaj. I don't understand why she wants to rewind seven seconds and why she needs to watch "Game of Thrones," because he's not Jamie in the commercial.

I think the idea is that she needs inspiration to make the fake kiss realistic.  And somehow NCW just being there isn't enough.  I find that commercial hysterical, but it also makes me say "WTF is your problem, woman?" at the tv every time I see it.

• Love 2

"Raise your hand if you think McDonald's is the best place to get a Coke."  Uh, why?  Does Coke taste better at McDonald's?

Seems like that should be a function of what the individual store has for a dispenser and the company that services it. One of the local BK's has a computerized Coke dispenser with a touch screen that lets you select which Coca Cola brand and flavor you want and it'll mix it for you, whether that's a diet strawberry Fanta, Seagrams ginger ale, or a plain old Coke.

• Love 3

Ooooohh, yes those new Coke dispensers are the best.

As someone whose admittedly loves soft drinks (one of my few vices, well sugar in general. I know it's crap and bad for you), there are VAST differences in where you get them. I never go to McDonald's, I hate their food, so cannot comment on them, but gas stations, fast food places, restaurants, yes they do taste different. ANd I go to certain places where I know it's better/worse. The plastic bottled Mountain Dew gives me a stomachache, have to get fountain drinks. 7-11 has too much carbonation. Some have too much syrup. It's a mixture of temperature, carbonation, syrup content mostly. And those newer machines are the best.

And yes I know Mountain Dew is Pepsi, just saying they all differ a bit

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

I have a question about DealDash.com - how does the site work? I noticed the small print today that says the prices people are quoting does not include the cost of bidding, and these great deals people say they got are "results not typical". Huh?

• Love 2

It is a bait n switch, pretty much.  I tried a bidding site once; they "gave" me x number of free bids.  I bid for something I didn't need, I think it was one penny per bid.  You have to stay online and PAY attention for hours.  As soon as the time expires for your bid, and you think you won, someone else bids and then you have to bid again.  Horrible experience.

• Love 3

The stupid eggo commercial where the entire family is sitting around texting or calling each other to claim the sole waffle.  Umm...wouldn't it belong to the person who put it in?

Those people are all so annoying.

• Love 4

The stupid eggo commercial where the entire family is sitting around texting or calling each other to claim the sole waffle.  Umm...wouldn't it belong to the person who put it in?

The entire premise of Eggo commercials pretty much from day 1 is that they're so good, someone will try to steal yours straight from the toast.  Hence the tagline "Leggo my Eggo".  That said, those people are so annoying I want to hit them with the scorching hot toaster.

• Love 6

A lot of it at fast food places is how they mix it. If there's too much carbonation or not enough, or too much syrup or not enough, it will taste like crap. No matter where it is. And how clean they keep the spigots on the dispensers.

Consider it a "flavor enhancer". I remember this story about how everyone was raving about the tea at this restaurant that turned out to have a dead bug trapped it the spigot of the tea dispenser. After it was cleaned, everyone asked why the tea was no longer so good.

I have a question about DealDash.com - how does the site work? I noticed the small print today that says the prices people are quoting does not include the cost of bidding, and these great deals people say they got are "results not typical". Huh?

If that's the site I am thinking of, it's a penny auction site and they're a total rip off.

• Love 2

There was a Lay's commercial on where some bro is running around a grocery store that has an entire aisle - BOTH SIDES - full of Lay's chips and while I didn't catch all of the lyrics, at the end it says "you forgot your wallet at home and now you have a new best friend" while bro and store manager are noshing on chips.

No. Shut up. If you are sitting in a grocery cart full of chips and eating chips that you cannot pay for, I'm pretty sure the manager is NOT going to be your new best friend. He can get his own chips. He's not going to eat your pilfered ones.

• Love 3

I just saw a commercial for Christmas tree lights (Tree Dazzler). Because it's April, I can only assume this is a "make good" contractual obligation? I think Tree Dazzler should say this make good is not good enough. They can't even claim Christmas in July. 

• Love 1

I saw a new one this morning. The family is sitting around stunned that the toaster is broken and no Eggo waffles. Meanwhile, the kid puts an Eggo breakfast sandwich in the microwave. 

• Love 2

I saw a new one this morning. The family is sitting around stunned that the toaster is broken and no Eggo waffles. Meanwhile, the kid puts an Eggo breakfast sandwich in the microwave.

Unless they've filmed it with a new "family", that commercial's actually been around for awhile. I know I've seen 1 with that idea, if not the same "family", before.

• Love 1
(edited)

Back in the day, the premise of the commercials would be something like:  Bob puts his Eggo in toaster.  Sally distracts him and then takes the Eggo when it pops ups.  Bob says "Leggo my Eggo."  For example: 

The current commercial with the phone-addicted family is more like:  Jane puts her Eggo in the toaster.  Mary, John, and Joe claim it as their Eggo for no apparent reason.  Steven comes and takes the Eggo like Sally would have.

So "Leggo my Eggo" has been around for a while, but people used to be aware they were stealing someone's Eggo.  Currently, people have no concept of the fact that the person who puts the Eggo in the toaster has ownership of the Eggo.  Just because you want the Eggo doesn't make it your Eggo.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 11

And The Doors' "People Are Strange" used for a commercial about a G.E. range. ("Self-cleaning ovens, digital timing, chicken is tasty when broiled in my range.) That's one of my favorite SNL skits ever, Prevailing Wind

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't get what this is supposed to mean.

I'm probably stepping in it, but I'll venture a guess: the ad presents on the surface as morning/breakfasttime. It's unclear if it's weekend or weekday, and whether the people are preparing for work/school. Presumably they just got up, live in the house, and are now pondering breakfast. The three people initially in the room are all white and presumably mother/father/daughter. Then an Asian male teen/tween, younger than the presumed-daughter character comes in and microwaves the breakfast sandwich.

Perhaps this was Eggo's attempt at inclusion of families of all kinds, so the kid is the brother/son. From the dialogue it's unclear. He never calls either adult mom or dad. They never call him son. For all we know he could also be an exchange student. It's ambiguous. Certainly plenty of families have adopted children of different ethnicities, but if this were a play at inclusion it was so ambiguously done to be confusing. If one of the parents were of Asian ancestry it would have been more clear. As is, you're sort of left to wonder why the other child is a different race. The most logical conclusion is "he's adopted, duh" and not that they have a random unrelated 12 year old living with them for reasons unknown. It's not bad or wrong, and perhaps even laudable that they just wanted to let it stand since, duh, this is not uncommon. Still it doesn't seem to have much relevance to the plot of the ad, so it could be seen as a distracting ambiguity, and nothing about the other content of this ad makes it particularly obvious why they'd go for that casting choice. They don't seem to be trying to make a "statement". Even having any of them say dad/mom/son would make it more clear, rather than raising "what are they going for here?"

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 11

They're too busy arguing over who is going to eat the stupid waffle to realize a random Asian kid is strolling through their house.

That's actually how I understood it.  Random people can come in and start making Eggo breakfast sandwiches in these people's house, and lest we think the random person is a member of the family, they cast a kid with a different ethnicity.

Which, now that I think about it, in that commercial where the family is texting each other about the waffle, maybe the girl who takes the waffle at the end is  supposed to be a rando but since she was white like everyone else, you just assume she's the youngest kid in the family.

Also, I just put some Eggos in the toaster now because of this conversation.

• Love 6

There is a Subaru (I think that's it, doesn't really matter the company though) commercial on Hulu that bugs me

They talk about how they ship back any styrofoam or plastics to Japan to be reused so they don't waste it and have it end up in landfills.

Now this is a good idea at first glance, but of course my obvious question is, how are they getting it back to Japan, or wherever overseas, to reuse it? Is that really cost and even environmentally effective, shipping fairly cheap plastics all over the world to be reused, which uses who knows what kind of fossil fuels in the process to do the shipping back and forth?

Maybe they have the shipping process going back and forth anyway, so they just throw it on there to reuse. Its possible, but it still bugs me not knowing how they do it.

• Love 4

There is a Subaru (I think that's it, doesn't really matter the company though) commercial on Hulu that bugs me

They talk about how they ship back any styrofoam or plastics to Japan to be reused so they don't waste it and have it end up in landfills.

Now this is a good idea at first glance, but of course my obvious question is, how are they getting it back to Japan, or wherever overseas, to reuse it? Is that really cost and even environmentally effective, shipping fairly cheap plastics all over the world to be reused, which uses who knows what kind of fossil fuels in the process to do the shipping back and forth?

Maybe they have the shipping process going back and forth anyway, so they just throw it on there to reuse. Its possible, but it still bugs me not knowing how they do it.

And then it bugged me!

Hard to find one article the covers all issues but here's a snippet of Bloomberg's take:

"This is not about recycling, or a nice marketing to-do," says Dean Schroeder, a management professor at Valparaiso University who has studied the plant. "This is a strict dollars-and-cents, moneymaking-and-savings calculation that also drives better safety and quality."

"Today, the plant abounds with boxes and containers scribbled over with marks that show how many times they have traveled from Japan to Indiana and back (and back again). On a tour of the plant, Easterday sped a golf cart past a welder whose metal shavings are swept off the asphalt floors and auctioned into a roaring bull market for copper."

And an ABC overview.

Glad they're finally doing better with their mpg. I never understood how a company so intent on being green couldn't figure that out. Looks like it's all about the $$$$$.

LOVE their dog commercials. And I think the first time I saw one was kind of a, Say What?, moment.

• Love 2