Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

So this one guy takes the whole baseball team home, without talking to their parents...And, since they're coming right from the game to his house, they don't have clothes packed - are the boys then going to have to sit around naked while he washes their clothes?

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable and innocuous reason why Dad would want to have a bunch of naked boys staying overnight in his home without telling their parents.

• Love 6

I've been watching the syndicated eps of Elementary and Person of Interest on WGN.  I keep seeing a spot for Manh(a)ttan - I have no clue from the commercial what the premise is of the show or why I should care.

I keep seeing a spot for Manh(a)ttan - I have no clue from the commercial what the premise is of the show or why I should care.

I haven't seen the ad in question, but I assume it's about The Manhattan Project (and therefore A-bombs). Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Oh my. Insomnia introduced me to an ad that at first I thought was a spoof. Bug.a.salt. It looks like a smaller version of the Super Soaker water gun that you load with...table salt. Aim. Fire. Dead bug. Where oh where is the "World's Dumbest..." crew? They'd have a field day with it.

Amazon sells 'em.

Oh my. Insomnia introduced me to an ad that at first I thought was a spoof. Bug.a.salt. It looks like a smaller version of the Super Soaker water gun that you load with...table salt. Aim. Fire. Dead bug. Where oh where is the "World's Dumbest..." crew? They'd have a field day with it.

Amazon sells 'em.

It's a #1 Seller on Amazon, with good (and humorous) reviews. It seems kind of pricey, but their website says they donate $5 from every sale to veterans groups.

• Love 2

Hopefully, it doesn't have enough oomph to actually hurt anything other than a bug. I'm more worried about some dumb kids shooting each other with it and somebody gets salt in their eyes. *sigh* Which means some idiot will shoot salt in some animal's eyes, so you're right.

• Love 3

I don't think I'm going to be in the market for a Bug.A.Salt any time soon. Besides cleaning up the newly deceased bug, there's the salt that I'm imagining has to be cleaned up too.

Two other ads have me scratching my head:

Credit Karma. The individual who' in the dark about them just clicks the link and their info is magically there.

Yoplait. I still loathe the "French" woman but the new ad features a cow...who has a very masculine voice. Either the Yoplait people are bovine gender role confused or they have some funky ingredient in their yogurt.

• Love 3

So, according to Android (Google) the phrases their service translates the most are "How are you?", "Thank you." and "I love you." The first two I understand, but "I love you" is the third most common translation request?

What's going on with that? Are that many people in the world falling in love with people whose language they don't speak? Is it a bunch of tourists getting drunk at karaoke nights in Rio/LA/Tokyo and hitting on the locals?

I'm truly puzzled.

• Love 1

I think it's probably just a phrase a lot of people tend to want to know. So if they're translating not because they really need to, but because they're trying to come up with a random, common, simple phrase, they go with that. That's just a theory though. Or pretentious people trying to pretend they're smart/fancy/impressive/whatever by saying it to someone in another language.

• Love 2

What's going on with that? Are that many people in the world falling in love with people whose language they don't speak? Is it a bunch of tourists getting drunk at karaoke nights in Rio/LA/Tokyo and hitting on the locals?

I'm truly puzzled.

Air Force Brat here: my parents met and married when Dad was stationed in Taiwan. Neither spoke more than a few phrases in the other's native language. Because of orders to ship out, they married really quick and before the language barrier was bridged. Growing up, a fair number of my friends' parents had very similar stories.
  • Love 3

Hopefully, it doesn't have enough oomph to actually hurt anything other than a bug. I'm more worried about some dumb kids shooting each other with it and somebody gets salt in their eyes. *sigh* Which means some idiot will shoot salt in some animal's eyes, so you're right.

I would hope that adults keep it away from children. It's not a toy. Or, maybe it belongs in households without (mean) children. I know it can be challenging to sneak up on a fly, and zapping from three feet away could be satisfying.

• Love 2

Amazon sells 'em.

hey guys. I have a question and since it is related to a commercial it is on topic ish.I love animals. I feed the birds and squirrels outside our home. There are several animals and they sit and share the food. However there is this ONE squirrel. He chases the others off; does not share the food; he bites their tails OFF, bites their ears. IT IS HORRIBLE. How can I scare this one aggressive animal away without freaking out the other sweet calm sharing ones? Forgive me. I did not know where to ask this, but I did see the salt gun thing commercial mentioned above and wondered if that would work. TIA

Edited by ari333

Oh, MY!  That's a terrible story!  We feed our birds and squirrels and bunnies as well.  I've never seen an aggressive squirrel like you describe (and I hope never to!) He will continue to come to where the food/water is, same as the others.  I hope he is not rabid.  I think the salt gun might be proper for this squirrel!  Best of luck!

• Love 1

I hope you watch Judge Judy for tips on what not to do...don't loan them money, or cosign their car note, or get them a cell phone on your plan

You've just described a huge chunk of my law practice.    Some of them even marry these idiots thinking marriage will "change him" and make him responsible.   Then they have a kid hoping that will make him responsible when a ring on the finger is not enough.

Hey, some of those commercials with clueless guys ARE accurate.

• Love 7

The current Nutella commercial has me scratching my head. They're pushing their product as something you would want to put on your kids' sandwiches. They finish up with the tagline "Spread the Happy!" The problem here is that every time in the past that I've encountered "happy" used as a noun, it has referred to an orgasm. So no, I won't be "Spreading the Happy" on any sandwiches in the foreseeable future.

• Love 3

Oh, MY!  That's a terrible story!  We feed our birds and squirrels and bunnies as well.  I've never seen an aggressive squirrel like you describe (and I hope never to!) He will continue to come to where the food/water is, same as the others.  I hope he is not rabid.  I think the salt gun might be proper for this squirrel!  Best of luck!

I want to respond so I'll go to the small talk thread! :)

The current Nutella commercial has me scratching my head. They're pushing their product as something you would want to put on your kids' sandwiches. They finish up with the tagline "Spread the Happy!" The problem here is that every time in the past that I've encountered "happy" used as a noun, it has referred to an orgasm. So no, I won't be "Spreading the Happy" on any sandwiches in the foreseeable future.

Are you serious ?!!

• Love 2

Are you serious ?!!

About the commercial or about the slang? Yes, in either case. "Happy" as in "they went out behind the barn and had a happy." I first heard it used that way in college. And from some coworkers over the years. And IIRC I heard it used that way in an episode of Buffy too, although it might have referred to an erection in that case (something about Angel turning evil if Buffy "gives him a happy.").

Now that I've thought about the ad some more, it gets even worse. Nutella seems like it derives from "nut", which would make sense since it's made from hazelnuts, and "nut" is also slang for "have an orgasm" or "testicle."

I never heard this.  

Do I now have to re-think before I wish someone a "happy birthday?"

• Love 8

I saw a commercial today for some kind of omega-3 supplement that promised "no fish burps". At least, that's what I think it said. It was fast, and after it was over, I said to the cats, "Did that just say, "fish burps"? I'm pretty sure my cats are pro-fish burps.

Yes. For some people, fish oil capsules can repeat on them -- the "fish burps."
  • Love 5

I never heard this.  

Do I now have to re-think before I wish someone a "happy birthday?"

No, because he was talking specifically about "happy" used as a noun, not an adjective.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

There is a series of three commercials for TD Bank that are played at every commercial break while I've been watching Mr. Robot on the USA app. The commercials are innocous enough were it not for them being played to fucking death.

All three of them consist of someone telling their story about TD Bank (we see the narrator in the beginning of each commercial) while stuntpersons that closely resemble them act out the story.

Because I've seen these damn commercials 800 times now, I'm beginning to see the cracks in the foundation. Let's discuss.

https://youtu.be/EAd74-4LJe4

It took me several viewings to even realize the person telling the story and the person in the house were two different people. No, not because they're both Asian. I just wasn't paying attention the first 12 times. Once I did, I realized the dog is the same in real life and in the dramatization. Why did they miss out on the obvious joke opportunity of putting a different breed of dog in the reenactment?

https://youtu.be/iAF0XzlgAA0

It took me several viewings of this commercial, too, to realize the narrators were different than the reenactors. At this point, TD Bank, maybe stop spending money on reenactors. Something about this one bothers me. It's like, "We included the lesbians because they have money troubles, too! #Yesallwomen be spending money, amirite?"

And finally...

Here again, it took me a while to realize "Sid" wasn't the stuntman he plays in his dreams. And for a long time, I thought his apron said "Brad's Stems", which didn't make sense. I also didn't understand how he just gives the guy a wave after he shatters his windshield, and the guy just stands there. And Sid just leaves his customer in the store when he goes to the bank?

I don't know if there's even a TD Bank in my city, but based solely on these commercials and the assault I've been under, I boycott TD Bank.

• Love 1

Amazon sells 'em.

It really works. My husband bought me one as a joke, since I have this kind of weird phobia about flies. He did tell me not to use it on wasps, because it just pisses them off.

• Love 3

I don't understand the setting of this commercial: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/79ao/xfinity-x1-triple-play-never-miss-featuring-carli-lloyd

The commercial takes place on a soundstage, with a living room set.  So I wonder out loud what the set is for.  My husband tells me it's the set for this commercial.  But that doesn't make sense because the commercial takes place in the entire soundstage, other than the part at the end, which is in the fake living room.  What's the point of this?

• Love 2

I imagine that for many commercials, once upon a time, they began as a good idea. Then after they are passed by everyone in the company who thinks they need to have input on it but absolutely don't (accounting, sales, IT), commercials like that one lose all meaning, and the producer is just left with their head in their hands, and just has to shoot it and call it a day so they can get paid and get out, vowing to never work with that company again.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

I don't understand the setting of this commercial: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/79ao/xfinity-x1-triple-play-never-miss-featuring-carli-lloyd

The commercial takes place on a soundstage, with a living room set.  So I wonder out loud what the set is for.  My husband tells me it's the set for this commercial.  But that doesn't make sense because the commercial takes place in the entire soundstage, other than the part at the end, which is in the fake living room.  What's the point of this?

That made me stabby. I could hear my mother in the background yelling, "If you kick that ball in the house one more time, you're getting a licking!"
  • Love 2

About the commercial or about the slang? Yes, in either case. "Happy" as in "they went out behind the barn and had a happy." I first heard it used that way in college. And from some coworkers over the years. And IIRC I heard it used that way in an episode of Buffy too, although it might have referred to an erection in that case (something about Angel turning evil if Buffy "gives him a happy.").

Now that I've thought about the ad some more, it gets even worse. Nutella seems like it derives from "nut", which would make sense since it's made from hazelnuts, and "nut" is also slang for "have an orgasm" or "testicle."

I asked 'are you serious' because I can't believe anyone would 'go there' about a food product.

Sigh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

I think the aim of most ads is to make you look and remember the product, not to make sense. 

The thing is, memorability is enhanced by making sense. You want people not just to remember your name, you want them to remember what you can do for them. Why? Because a coherent message burns memories into the synapses far better than an incoherent one. Add in a sense in the consumer that you actually understand something about him or her, and you start to occupy some serious mental real estate. Top it all off with likability, if you can, and you've really made an impression.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

But if the commercial doesn't grab you and you can't remember it, doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

Yes, clearly. But memorability is the lowest rung on the ladder that most serious advertisers set out to achieve. You can't climb the ladder unless you clear that lowest rung. But coherence, insight and likability are (in that order) the rungs you need to climb to create serious return on investment.

• Love 1

Yes, clearly. But memorability is the lowest rung on the ladder that most serious advertisers set out to achieve. You can't climb the ladder unless you clear that lowest rung. But coherence, insight and likability are (in that order) the rungs you need to climb to create serious return on investment.

Maybe, but the lowest rung is the most important, because you can't get to the higher rungs unless you clear the lowest.  Always have to start with the first step.

It reminds me of what I was told back in the Air Force...you want to screw up just a little - enough so they remember your name, but not enough to remember why they remember you.  I guess this is the same, be annoying enough so people remember your product, but forget just why they do.

• Love 2

Hughes Net Gen 4:  "Now I don't have to travel 100 to get shoes like this"

I'm thinking that if you have to travel 100 miles from your home "to get shoes like this"

You probably don't need "shoes like this"

• Love 3

All three of them consist of someone telling their story about TD Bank (we see the narrator in the beginning of each commercial) while stuntpersons that closely resemble them act out the story.

The slogan "bank human" sounds like they're touting being able to conduct business with a person, but one of the ads has the customer depositing a check by taking a photo of it at home. Time for a new slogan?

• Love 1