Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Macbeth said:

No way they were playing Stephen off.

I don't mind playing people off when they are droning on and just listing names, but Stephen was giving a good speech and wasn't even that long. So annoying to play off good speeched.

Hamilton winning is ridiculous.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love how the late night hosts all get involved in each other's awards.  There was a lovely moment captured between Stephen, Trevor Noah and John Oliver.

I liked Hamilton but I do not understand how it's fitting into so many apparently different categories.  For acting, they were special or mini-series but for everything else they're variety? 

And Bo Burnham's special should have won that category.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

He knows this is the only Emmy his show will get as long as long as John Oliver's show is on.

sadly true — and he explained why. news item comes in @ 5:15, tape begins @ 5:30. show rewritten in 15 minutes. the late show will never have the luxury of time that last week tonight does. it’s why the daytime soaps don’t compete against primetime.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 5

I love Jon Batiste as much as the next person (okay - more than the next person), but we really didn't need to see him and Leon during the segment.  Especially because it made it so difficult to see the people they were paying tribute to.  

• Love 10
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

The faces of these people superimposed onto couches and brick walls etc. is awkward and doesn't feel that respectful.

I actually kind of liked that part.

What I didn't like was the focus on the singers.  This is the "In Memoriam" segment, not "two singers with the people being honored shown in the background."  Ugh.  Do better, Emmy producers.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I liked them putting the background as to where they worked. It was their sets and part of them. 

Agreed. I thought it was a nice touch.

1 minute ago, Cotypubby said:

Awwww Michael K Williams gets the final spot. 😭

His quote made me tear up.

• Love 5

As a theatre fan, I loved the Hamilton shout-out to Broadways reopening with tbe “look around” quote.

How dare they have Ed Asners tribute shown in the background of the singers and they don’t use his “I treasure you people” quote from the Mary Tyler Moore show!

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ugh please just show the actors who have passed and play an instrumental.  The people singing should NOT be the focus of this.

As much as I love Jon Batiste, I have to agree with this. It seems like they only showed five or ten of those featured, full-screen.

• Love 10