Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I wonder how the Lakers will end up faring now that they have made this trade.

I think a lot depends on how Lebron does.  I know he has superhuman endurance and basically goes into cryostasis after every game but he's going to be 35 years old and has played 56000(!) minutes between the regular season and playoffs.  Oh well, say what you will about the Lakers but they're not boring.  On the plus side for them they no longer have to deal with Lavar Ball.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

I do wonder how well the Lakers will end up doing next season now that they have made this trade. I had saw they were picked as one of the favorites to win the title next year before this trade was announced. They traded away a lot of their young core, but I do that the young player they chose to keep Kuzma is one of their most talented young players.

I wonder who else they may end up picking up in free agency. I see some people speculating they may try and get Kemba Walker. Or maybe Jimmy Butler who has opted out of his contract with the Sixers.

I think they were picked higher than their talent was currently based on a trade like this likely happening

I do like that Lonzo Ball with be in NO now. 

They have two problems here though.  First, Davis could once again just be a one year deal for them, have not heard if he is signing long term yet.  I wouldn't if I were him.  Second, because of that and because of an aging Lebron James, unless they sign another big name FA, this still only make them good for a year or two.  Even if Davis stays, Lebron only has so many more years to play at a high level.  Probably two, maybe three. 

Kemba has stated he would like to stay in Charlotte, though living in Charlotte, I am not even sure that is best long term for the team.  They actually might do better, given that he is a free agent now and given their HORRIBLE contact situation for the next few years, just going the Philly route, letting him go, making the best of a few years, clear out some very bad contracts and start again from scratch. 

Still I would put money on Butler signing with the Lakers over Kemba. 

9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Well, of course it is.  Just as other NBA fans complain about the constant focus on LeBron.  The media creates its own narratives and runs them into the ground.  Anyone with any knowledge of the sport can see that the Warriors are in a very precarious position at this point in time, not because they lost the series, but because two of their key players have suffered career-threatening injuries that will, at the very least, put them out of action for a good portion of next season.  Anyone who thinks the Warriors are full of confidence and not concerned about next season is delusional.  This could be a turning point for the franchise and they know it.

This was going to be a turning point for the franchise whether they won this finals or not and regardless of the injuries, what happens with Durant

Injuries or not, this finals proved this team was not deep at all beyond their starting five.  They were going to have to make major changes anyway to upgrade the team even without the injuries. 

Klay will be back and I imagine they will be rebuilding the team around him, Steph and Green once again, minus KD, once Klay is over his injury.  Next season I expect Klay to miss most of it, but not be such a bad thing long term for them. They have to find other players to do more beyond those three.  Will be a chance to find some players and give some experience to them outside that trio with Klay out

• Love 2

Oh my god, Lonzo got traded. I cannot wait for the spicy salty LaVar Ball takes. Oh my body is so ready. 

This was already my favourite off season cause the Raptors are Champions, but now it's just gravy on top of the cheese curds of the poutine of this Canadian summer. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Kemba has stated he would like to stay in Charlotte, though living in Charlotte, I am not even sure that is best long term for the team.  They actually might do better, given that he is a free agent now and given their HORRIBLE contact situation for the next few years, just going the Philly route, letting him go, making the best of a few years, clear out some very bad contracts and start again from scratch. 

Without a doubt, it would be better for the Hornets if Kemba walked. They couldn't put a decent team around him when he was making $12 million/year, so how are they going to do it when he's making $40 million/year?

But they'll offer him a huge contract, regardless. The season ticket holders love him, and MJ doesn't dare piss them off.  

2 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Oh my god, Lonzo got traded. I cannot wait for the spicy salty LaVar Ball takes. Oh my body is so ready. 

This was already my favourite off season cause the Raptors are Champions, but now it's just gravy on top of the cheese curds of the poutine of this Canadian summer. 

Salty LaVar stated that the Lakers will win no more championships. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Don't worry LaVar, they weren’t going to win any regardless if your precious son was on the team or not. He has tanked all of his kids basketball dreams, first by Lonzo getting injured in shitty Baller brand shoes, and then pulling his other sons out of the US to play overseas. He is such an egotistical ass and I’m glad the Lakers are rid of him.

I think the Lakers gave you way too much for AD, and I doubt they will get past the second round next year. I have resigned to the fact that the Lakers will be mediocre for the next decade and continue to be a dumpster fire waiting to happen (or are they already one?), and I’m okay with that since I saw them win five championships. At least I’m not a Knicks fan!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Remind me again how many championships the Lakers won WITH Lonzo?  I think Salty LaVar met his match in LeBron; a guy who likes to have things his own way and actually has the track record and achievements to back it up.  Even if Lonzo had a no-trade clause, I presume that even Salty LaVar came to the realization that his clout was markedly diminished in LA with LeBron on the scene and, if he really wants to rule the roost, he was going to have to find another henhouse for his son.  

• LOL 5
14 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Without a doubt, it would be better for the Hornets if Kemba walked. They couldn't put a decent team around him when he was making $12 million/year, so how are they going to do it when he's making $40 million/year?

But they'll offer him a huge contract, regardless. The season ticket holders love him, and MJ doesn't dare piss them off.  

I'm not sure there are enough season tickets holders in Charlotte for it to make a difference. 

I’m still confused how Chris Paul from New Orleans to the Lakers was bad for the league but Anthony Davis from New Orleans to the Lakers is aces.

I shouldn’t even care because I don’t like any of those parties, but it is confusing to me.

• Love 3
(edited)

This Raptors victory parade has started about 90 minutes ago & its already way better & more enjoyable to watch than those Warriors parades. ESPN is most certainly disgusted witnessing this right now.

Since Anthony Davis has joined LeBron & the Lakers and now ESPN is on their bandwagon again (they root for the Lakers as much as they root for those Warriors) since they're now the favorite to win it all next season, maybe LeBron can throw Carmelo Anthony a bone & have him join the Lakers. Carmelo will & should never live it down that Jeremy Lin got a ring & he doesn't. All that money he made in his NBA career & he can't buy himself a championship ring. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 4

I dunno there were no barricades for half the route. WTF were they thinking? I dont think it was planned very well.

GSW apparently took out an ad in the Star congratulating the Raps. I kinda like them, not just bc of this,but that added to it.

• Love 6

Very classy of GS to take out the  ad.

Downtown Toronto is insane. The parade started at 9 and was supposed to reach City Hall square at 12, and everything is over by 1:30.  It's after 3 now and they still haven't got to the square. Police are asking people to move out of the square because there are over 50,000 there alone.  Three closest subways stops closed because of crowds, streetcars stopped miles away because the electricity has been turned off because of climbers. 

Gasol seems to be having blast on the bus. Or maybe it's that beer he was talking about in interviews.

Former coach Butch Carter is talking about how they recruit to Toronto, by inviting them up the summer before when the weather is good.  Also comments on Masai Ujirii coming from Africa and the advantage that gives him because he can see the talent that develops there.

• Love 4

They booed Ford I fucking love it. He hates Toronto. 

Trudeau looks goooood.

Yeah I was downtown earlier. Typical Torontian I just want to complain about transit. Subway cant handle the regular population let alone this. 

• Love 5

When the Raptors started their youth outreach program of creating community courts, Rob Ford was mayor and Doug was a Councillor and they both opposed it even though it wasn't going to cost the city any money. The Fords called it the "Hug-A-Thug" program.  Fans have long memories.

Players are going on stage now. Throwing red balls to the crowd. Fans cheering everyone, going nuts for VanVleet, Ibaka, Nurse, Green, Gasol, Siakam, Lowry and his 2 sons holding the trophy (held on to it even with the pic with Trudeau) and of course, Kawhi.

• Love 8

Sad way to end, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. No one killed- two non life threatening injuries I heard, shooters apprehended in less than an hour. I'd like to know if it was targeted or not. Matt Devlin did a very good job keeping the crowd calm.

I was downtown until about 1pm, but not in the packed areas. I was streaming the video of the crowds and thought if anything happened it would be very bad as EMS, police etc would have a hard time getting through. 

Very sad mass gathering of any kind anywhere is no longer safe.

(edited)

The parade route was just outside my place.  I consider myself so lucky.  We had so much fun.  An amazing day.  I followed the bus that contained Kyle, Kawhi, Fred, and Drake so far.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, Sew Sumi said:

Oh he's so salty. It's like a delicious bowl of ramen, followed by an entire bag of salt and vinegar chips. 

Oh I'm gonna have to check my blood pressure, it's gotta be sky high after watching those LaVar takes. 

In regards to the Raps Championship parade, couldn't stop myself from making the best/worst decision of my week and getting up at 5 AM to head down to be a part of it. It was just a giant party, fans hanging from streetlamps and climbing the trees on University Ave. 

Terribly planned since I was hoping to be there until 12:30 and ended up being there until 3:30 due to too much humanity (seriously Toronto, you need to anticipate this kind of turnout when people line up days before to get into Jurassic Park) but I learned my lesson, next time stake out a spot at the beginning of the parade route. But I got to see my boys party, and saw Kyle hoist that Larry O'B in person, he never wants to put that thing down.

Totally worth half a day on my feet in the hot Toronto sun. I'm sore and tired, but have all the memories to keep me warm. 

Sad to see it end with violence, I wasn't there, Nathan Phillips Square was a bit too much even for me, so I grabbed a pint with my buds and watched the rally from the safety of a couch. Glad to know nobody lost their life though. This is a messed up world we live in sometimes. 

Toronto, you were perhaps a little too hyped, but that's what I've been asking for all post season, so can't exactly be annoyed now. North Over Everything.

Let's do it again next year eh?

Spoiler

I realize it's super unlikely we can do it again next year, especially without knowing if Kawhi will forgo LA for the frigid North, but just let me have this for now. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Let's do it again next year eh?

Reveal spoiler

I realize it's super unlikely we can do it again next year, especially without knowing if Kawhi will forgo LA for the frigid North, but just let me have this for now. 

At least Kawhi saw we could have beautiful weather for one day?  😶  (Trying to see the positive)

I'll never forget Kawhi making fun of his own laugh.  And the Raptors reaction.  Amazing

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The parade route was just outside my place.  I consider myself so lucky.  We had so much fun.  An amazing day.  I followed the bus that contained Kyle, Kawhi, Fred, and Drake so far.  

Wow. That’s amazing. What a great view. I love that the players were openly joyous about winning the championship. No ‘act like you’ve been there before’ because most of them haven’t. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, topanga said:

No ‘act like you’ve been there before’ because most of them haven’t. 

Most of them haven't but they could still act like it nonetheless.  No gunshots would've been nice.

Just now, Ohwell said:

Most of them haven't but they could still act like it nonetheless.  No gunshots would've been nice.

I meant the players. The fans...yeah, take it down a notch. And stop shooting people. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, topanga said:

I meant the players. The fans...yeah, take it down a notch. And stop shooting people. 

Yeah my quote was aimed at the fans because I wasn't surprised that something like this would happen.  

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Warriors and Raptors players wind up on a yacht somewhere after all the celebration is over.  They can take Drake along and Draymond can toss him overboard.   

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, topanga said:

Highly doubt it was the fans shooting people. 

Most likely some lost individual(s) just decided the day to carry out his/her awful plan was the day there would be a large gathering in the city. This could've been this parade, or if the Raptors had lost the NBA Finals it might have been the Pride Parade (happening next weekend in Toronto). I doubt "acting like we've been there before" would've changed this person's plan in the slightest. 

The fans were a bit out of control, to be fair, but up until that moment it seemed very civil. Sure you probably shouldn't climb on street signs or the trees that line city streets, but while I was there nobody got in a fight, and children and the elderly who got heat stroke were looked after and offered water and food from other revelers who were near by. We were for the most part, stereotypical Canadians, nice, generous, loud and slightly drunk. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

They can take Drake along and Draymond can toss him overboard

According to a Sirius XM reporter, Draymond was in New York yesterday—the reporter spotted him at a Dunkin Donuts. Allegedly KD and Kyrie were also in NY having lunch. (Was KD cleared to travel cross-country?). 

So the rumor is that KD and Kyrie are planning to go to the Nets (I think) together, and Draymond was there to stop it. What, Draymond is going to run into the church and yell, ‘Whitley! Don’t marry him! Stay with me in California.’ (Anyone? Bueller?)

Or maybe Draymond is from New York and simply went home. I tell you, these sports reporters speculate and gossip more than Perez Hilton. 

Edited by topanga
  • LOL 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, topanga said:

According to a Sirius XM reporter, Draymond was in New York yesterday—the reporter spotted him at a Dunkin Donuts. Allegedly KD and Kyrie were also in NY having lunch. (Was KD cleared to travel cross-country?). 

I don't think KD even went back to Cali.

After Game 5, he went directly to NYC cause he trusted the Nets team doctor Martin O'Malley to see him because he's the same doctor who treated him in 2015 when he had his Jones fracture. Some are playing it up that he had lost trust in the Warriors medical staff, more likely he just trusted O'Malley more to do the actual operation, which again makes sense since O'Malley treated him in 2015 and Durant improved well enough to become one of the best players in the world and lead Golden State to back to back Chips. 

He was most likely treated at HSS, it's one of the best orthopaedic hospitals in the country (and one where O'Malley is an attending surgeon) and is located on the Upper East Side.

Chances are he stayed in New York for follow ups with O'Malley. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

The thing is--and I always have to remind myself of this in any pro sport--a lot of these guys from opposing teams hang out together and it's us fans who get all het up when our team loses to their team.  So I just shrug it off and try not to get upset anymore. 

So congrats to the Raptors and especially Kawhi.  Just no more fucking Drake, please.

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

I don't think KD even went back to Cali.

After Game 5, he went directly to NYC cause he trusted the Nets team doctor Martin O'Malley to see him because he's the same doctor who treated him in 2015 when he had his Jones fracture. Some are playing it up that he had lost trust in the Warriors medical staff, more likely he just trusted O'Malley more to do the actual operation, which again makes sense since O'Malley treated him in 2015 and Durant improved well enough to become one of the best players in the world and lead Golden State to back to back Chips. 

He was most likely treated at HSS, it's one of the best orthopaedic hospitals in the country (and one where O'Malley is an attending surgeon) and is located on the Upper East Side.

Chances are he stayed in New York for follow ups with O'Malley. 

Thank you. That makes much more sense. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The thing is--and I always have to remind myself of this in any pro sport--a lot of these guys from opposing teams hang out together and it's us fans who get all het up when our team loses to their team.  So I just shrug it off and try not to get upset anymore. 

This series in particular was very civil. Apparently Draymond and Klay both talked to Danny Green and told him that they didn't think he was a dirty player and didn't think he meant to hurt Klay in anyway, and this was during the game directly after the play, when you assume emotions would be very high.  

This was an almost surprisingly civil series. The only even half way heated argument was when Fred VanVleet taunted KD for fouling him in Game 5, and even that was pretty tame. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5
(edited)

Got teary-eyed just watching this trailer. What a beautiful, haunting song to go along with it. Hope it'll be available to view on demand soon.  Steph is an executive producer along with Viola Davis, and Mariska Hargitay is a co-producer. 

eta: proceeds from ticket sales will go to the families of the victims.
Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, cleo said:

I dunno there were no barricades for half the route. WTF were they thinking? I dont think it was planned very well.

GSW apparently took out an ad in the Star congratulating the Raps. I kinda like them, not just bc of this,but that added to it.

The Warriors are a classy organisation, who do things the right way, but apparently will never be forgiven by many for having the temerity to 'git gud' and set an example that the rest of the NBA had to run ever faster to keep up with. And Kevin Durant will never be forgiven for deciding he wanted to win more than he wanted $120 million.

Meanwhile, the Lakers add Anthony Davies to their ranks, and look set to sign a third superstar (possibly Leonard), but will be met with a media joyous that "the Lakers are ready to be great again."

As for Kyrie and KD going to the Nets? Seems like an insanely risky move for a Nets team that is definitely on the rise, and has great chemistry. But this is how NBA GMs and coaches usually lose their jobs, so have at it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Ohwell said:

As I was watching, I was struck by how much the players are supportive of the players from the other teams, much more than I've seen in players of other major league games.  They must be tremendously competitive to get to that level and yet it doesn't seem to affect their relationships with players on other teams.  Hockey, football and baseball players seem to get traded as much but I don't get the same feeling from them. It's very impressive.

I was watching the CBC TV feed of the parade and Adrienne Arsenault commented that it seems to her that the NBA allows its players more individuality than other organizations. They do seem to be more involved in outside projects (e.g. Curry's movie, Gasol saving migrants) than other athletes.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

And Kevin Durant will never be forgiven for deciding he wanted to win more than he wanted $120 million.

That was because he chose to join a team that was already at its peak with its own homegrown superstar instead of dragging one there himself - if he had taken a paycut to ensure OKC could add stars around him he'd have been the toast of the NBA.  And never depends on what happens next.  Remember when Lebron would never be forgiven for going to Miami?  While I'm sure there are some who hate him for it the vast majority of NBA fans, even in Cleveland, are fine with him now.

• Love 5
On 6/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, cambridgeguy said:

I think a lot depends on how Lebron does.  I know he has superhuman endurance and basically goes into cryostasis after every game but he's going to be 35 years old and has played 56000(!) minutes between the regular season and playoffs.  

Not to mention he has played in the NBA for almost half of his entire life!!!

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, cambridgeguy said:

That was because he chose to join a team that was already at its peak with its own homegrown superstar instead of dragging one there himself - if he had taken a paycut to ensure OKC could add stars around him he'd have been the toast of the NBA.  And never depends on what happens next.  Remember when Lebron would never be forgiven for going to Miami?  While I'm sure there are some who hate him for it the vast majority of NBA fans, even in Cleveland, are fine with him now.

Or Kevin Durant decided to leave before he was traded like James Hardin was. I'm sure he thought he would win a title with the Thunder as well. I'll never understand why fans get upset when players leave but owners can do whatever they want.

• Love 5
On 6/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, Magog said:

I can't imagine how Carmelo Anthony is feeling right now. Carmelo was badmouthing Jeremy Lin while they were teammates for the Knicks & basically help sent Jeremy Lin out of town. Now, Jeremy Lin somehow ended up with the Raptors & got himself a ring for his troubles. 

Yes, Carmelo, how many rings do you have? *crickets*

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, cambridgeguy said:

That was because he chose to join a team that was already at its peak with its own homegrown superstar instead of dragging one there himself - if he had taken a paycut to ensure OKC could add stars around him he'd have been the toast of the NBA.  

5 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Or Kevin Durant decided to leave before he was traded like James Hardin was. I'm sure he thought he would win a title with the Thunder as well. I'll never understand why fans get upset when players leave but owners can do whatever they want.

It never ceases to amaze me how much loyalty team owners and fans expect of players, yet teams will trade them, waive them, or cut them in a hot minute if it suits their bottom line. And if a player underperforms, you can bet local fans will tear that player a new one on talk radio and in the media. 

Professional athletes are high-paid employees. If they find another job with better pay or more opportunities for growth (e.g. a championship), why should they be for capitalizing on that opportunity? 

4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Yes, Carmelo, how many rings do you have? *crickets*

Burn. I used to like Carmelo, but his career has shown me that he has the selfishness of a Kobe Bryant but not quite as much talent, and he doesn't have Kobe's ability to lead a team to greatness. And I am not a Kobe Bryant fan. Far from it, in fact. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Tonight is the NBA Draft. I'm going to feel very sorry for whoever goes #3 in the Draft because he is going to be a part of a sad excuse of an NBA Franchise. 6, 7, & 9 (whoever they are) will deserve even more sympathy.

I have to hope that whoever is pick #5 does not suck. I already have very low expectations for Collin Sexton as it is. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gurkel said:

Professional athletes are high-paid employees.

*contract* employees. That's a whole different story. They get to market themselves for better opportunities, to play closer to home, whatever. 

• Love 3
(edited)

My husband, bless his heart, cares not a whit for the minutiae of sports.  He wanders in when the draft is starting and says “where do you think Zion is going?”

I said well New Orleans won the lottery so they will pick him.  He looks at me askance and says “wait he doesn’t get to pick where he goes?” and I had to explain the draft all over again.

I love Zion.  I suppose I will learn to love the “Pels” (seriously, WTF is up with that) too.  I hope everyone remembers that he is a giant human who is still a kid.

Jay Bilas hasn’t said high motor or wingspan yet and I really want a drink, so let’s get on that Jay.

I feel badly for the kid from the Republic of Georgia who has to travel with his agents instead of family.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ja Morant's dad has got a sweet hat.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel badly for the kid from the Republic of Georgia who has to travel with his agents instead of family.

I was thinking the same thing. 

ESPN needs different draft tones because every single time I hear them I think they are going to announce an NFL pick.

It is very upsetting that the parents of these kids are my age...or YOUNGER.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2